Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Here's the tile pattern I'm going for in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol just lol if your living space can't be described as "Hogwartsesque"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

peanut posted:

Lol just lol if your living space can't be described as "Hogwartsesque"

You mean like this...

:haw:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I want my living room to look like Gertrude Stein exploded

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The Dave posted:

Well to start I'd probably move the TV (and I know that's not your's, but incase you were thinking of using that same setup) to above the fireplace and make that the defined sitting area, then I would let that space be what it is, a nice walkway with good room for traffic. What kind of seating do you have? Because Sectional could define that space nicely.

We have a gray sectional that we planned to put in the same place as in the photo, but your recommendation will be something that we will try.

there wolf posted:

I say ditch the accent all together because you already have two different floorings going and you don't need to divide the space up more.

I think that might be what we end up doing, but we still need to pick a color in which to repaint all the walls to keep them the same (on further inspection, the living room / dining room area has 3 different colors).

value-brand cereal posted:

If you and your spouse aren't oppose to lots of lots of hanging and paintings, May I suggest covering that wall with art? A la Ilya Glazunov’s Studio in Moscow!

It doesn't have to be iconography, but of themes you'd prefer.

I showed this to the wife and she recoiled in disgust. Thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Then your wife definitely should(n't) see the inside of an authentic Russian cathedral.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

kimcicle posted:

I showed this to the wife and she recoiled in disgust. Thanks!

She might be a vampire then, or some sort of Demon. Be careful of your life energy and blood/bodily gluids!

peanut posted:

Then your wife definitely should(n't) see the inside of an authentic Russian cathedral.

Huh. I thought they had a transparent ceiling in Hogwarts :confused:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How NOT to stage a mid-century modern house. Or any house, really.

Did decorative fake doors become a thing without me noticing?

"We didn't know what to do with this room so let's put a random faux-antique table and chairs in the corner and hang some Walmart paintings"

Sad MCM chair cowers in fear on the porch :(

This was a flip - bought in March 2016 for $81k, painted and put in granite countertops and sold for $136k in February 2017 so I guess the ~shabby chic~ worked out.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 16, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is that really MCM? At least, apart from that one chair outside everything appears to be faux Edwardian/Victorian/Georgian. This is a serious question because I'm trying to understand properly.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Southern Heel posted:

Is that really MCM? At least, apart from that one chair outside everything appears to be faux Edwardian/Victorian/Georgian. This is a serious question because I'm trying to understand properly.

The house appears to be MCM (ceiling height, window placement, patio), the furniture definitely isn't.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

vonnegutt posted:

The house appears to be MCM (ceiling height, window placement, patio), the furniture definitely isn't.

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. "Shabby chic" Southern decor really doesn't work well with that house.

Also there is not one comfortable-looking piece of furniture in that great room.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Youth Decay posted:

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. "Shabby chic" Southern decor really doesn't work well with that house.

Also there is not one comfortable-looking piece of furniture in that great room.

Shabby chic is the worst and I can't wait for it to die out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

shabby chic, more like scabby poo poo

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Youth Decay posted:

How NOT to stage a mid-century modern house. Or any house, really.

:cry:
That poor, poor house.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:cry:
That poor, poor house.

It's such a nice little example of a 60s "mass-market" modern too. Taking a Southern ranch and stripping it down to the basics.

At least they didn't mess with the house itself too much.If it were in Portland or Denver it would've been expanded and turned into an unrecognizable mess.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They could've added a "porchico":

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
That image is causing me physical pain. Craftsman style portico in pine paneling glued onto the front of a white brick Mid Modern house. THE HORROR

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Why would anyone do that? I don't really rate the place to start with but the addition is literally money spent on nothing?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Porch columns == wealth

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Does that guy have a boner?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Untill he sees the wall words.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Untill he sees the wall words.

We don't know that. It's out of frame. Maybe he gets an even bigger boner and realises he has a fetish for awful wall writing and has to leave so he can take some time to square things up in his mind and get right with his true self.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

take some time to square things up in his mind and get writ with his true self.

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
It's time to buy pendant lights for our kitchen island and I'm having trouble deciding between 8" or 10" clear glass globes. The island is 3'x5'. I feel like some guides online recommend 8" and some say it should be 10".

In these scale drawings the 10" pendants feel better to me, but when I see one in person it just seems SO big. Do pendants that may seem too big up close end up feeling more appropriately sized once they're hung?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yes they'll feel smaller thanks to perspective. Like how traffic lights are HUGE when not hanging. If it feels right in the scale drawing it will probably feel right when hung.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Make mockups out of paper and tape, and stick them up for a couple days.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Blakles posted:

It's time to buy pendant lights for our kitchen island and I'm having trouble deciding between 8" or 10" clear glass globes. The island is 3'x5'. I feel like some guides online recommend 8" and some say it should be 10".

In these scale drawings the 10" pendants feel better to me, but when I see one in person it just seems SO big. Do pendants that may seem too big up close end up feeling more appropriately sized once they're hung?

I have a similar setup. My island is 3' x 4.5' and I have 8" globes. They hang 34" above the island, from 40" cables. My ceilings are 11' and the island is 36" high.

I think 8" is the perfect size. 10" would feel big in my opinion, even if they were hung higher than the 40" I have them at right now.

I'm trying to figure out the scale of your drawings, though. I assume the top drawing is 8" but the globes are three squares in diameter? Then the 10" globes are 4 squares?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Anne Whateley posted:

Make mockups out of paper and tape, and stick them up for a couple days.

Seriously do this. We also bought a super cheap $4 pendant from home Depot, hung it with a drywall screw, and powered it with an extension cord. Then made various sizes shades out of paper. This let us play with heights and positions as well as overall size.

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have a similar setup. My island is 3' x 4.5' and I have 8" globes. They hang 34" above the island, from 40" cables. My ceilings are 11' and the island is 36" high.

I think 8" is the perfect size. 10" would feel big in my opinion, even if they were hung higher than the 40" I have them at right now.

I'm trying to figure out the scale of your drawings, though. I assume the top drawing is 8" but the globes are three squares in diameter? Then the 10" globes are 4 squares?

Basically one tiny square is 2.4". So the larger squares within the grid make up 1 foot. The globes aren't perfectly to scale because the 8" globes would be 3.33 squares and the 10" would be 4.17 squares, but I figured it was close enough to get an idea.

My ceilings are 8 feet high, so the lights aren't going to be able to hang down very far. Maybe that's another reason to do 8" lights?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Where can I find this glorious wallpaper? Do I have to build a time machine?

(it's from an interesting 1970s contemporary for sale in Indiana)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Youth Decay posted:

Where can I find this glorious wallpaper? Do I have to build a time machine?

Yeah, a time machine to 2057 maybe

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No one ever believes me when I tell them what is in my parents bathroom.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the original 1960s tiles and carpet. Yes you read that right, 1960s.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
i got a thing

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I apologize in advance for the click-baity website, but I use an ad blocker so it didn't give me much of an issue. Some of these have shown up in here before, but some of them are new, and all of them are completely :wtf:.

31 Home Design Fails

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I apologize in advance for the click-baity website, but I use an ad blocker so it didn't give me much of an issue. Some of these have shown up in here before, but some of them are new, and all of them are completely :wtf:.

31 Home Design Fails

I do have an exterior door that's five feet off the ground, but it's not a design fail, it's sequela of foundation waterproofing that required removal of a small deck.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

31 Home Design Fails

I gave up 81 slides into the "31" advertised.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Jaded Burnout posted:

There's 90!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Jaded Burnout posted:

Then you missed this

What exactly is going on with the stairs here? I think I see three steps going down and then the carpet is either flat or goes back up?