Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

although i love naito and want to see him win, i don't want to stop having amazing iwgp okada title defenses :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Naito is going to win, I say with Tranquilo in my heart~

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Naito ain't just taking this lying down

https://twitter.com/judekilgour/status/941731885125906433

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

I enjoy the metacommentary that is Naito constantly giving NJPW poo poo for what he'd do better. I enjoy him greatly and hope he either wins or goes Broadway.

Another day off, so I went back to Dominion 2015, just to see what I don't know compared to right now. If that card is a good sample of everything top to bottom, I have to say the lower-midcard is in WAY better shape now in comparison to 2015. Also, I now understand and appreciate Hirooki Goto. That match against Nakamura was delightful.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
At first, I thought the "Double Main Event" thing was stupid WWE-esque verbiage (there's four main events guys, really!), but I'm really loving how the four guys involved are reacting to it.

Naito is bitterly rejecting the entire concept because of his obvious bad history with it.
Jericho is relentlessly pushing that his match is the main event to the rest of the world because of him and his status as the "Alpha of this industry" and at the same time saying Naito is a loving nobody.
Okada barely seems to care because he's on his fourth straight WK main event anyway (and five out of the last six) and is only acknowledging the Double Main Event concept to take shots at Naito.
Omega says Naito beat him fair and square, the IWGP HWC should go last and that he flat out doesn't care about his position on the card because he just wants to get his hands on Jericho. I find it particularly cool that Omega is the only one giving any respect to Naito whatsoever because they fought and he lost and Omega acknowledges that.

It's very cool and basically I hope this leads to Jericho vs. Naito for the IWGP HWC at Strong Style Evolved.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

handsome only face posted:

you're loving insane if you think naito is winning

I'm happy to be crazy, I think it's just the right time for him v:shobon:v

Okada has plenty of time to be champ again... like, he's got a crazy amount of time to be Champion again.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada is only 30 he's got plenty of time for more reigns. God how the hell is Okada so good at 30?

I like this back and forth cause it not only gives some extra edge to the matches but adds some doubt to Okada/Naito as maybe Naito might let this get him of his game. Also it helps at least build Kenny and Naito and maybe Jericho/Naito in the future.

Also New Japan isn't (rumoured) to be chasing another football league too!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Naito is absolutely winning because Okada spent the last year being very untranquilo and destroying himself to keep his title. Meanwhile, our boy Tetsuya has transcended the silly concept of fancy belts and kept himself calm and rested for the biggest match of his career.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahhh a 12 hour plus shift where I can just sit and watch NJPW. Bullshit contract jobs are the best.

Good time to watch the English language shows for the G1 Climax.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/941902473970704384

best course of action as ibushi can actually win now

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Give me Castle in the dome right now please

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I was 100% certain Okada would lose the belt at the Dome until they spent the entire Tag League building up Okada's new Cobra Clutch. Now I'm not so sure they'd go through all the trouble just to have Okada lose.

I guess that's just good old-school booking to keep the result in question.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Price Check posted:

I was 100% certain Okada would lose the belt at the Dome until they spent the entire Tag League building up Okada's new Cobra Clutch. Now I'm not so sure they'd go through all the trouble just to have Okada lose.

It is nice not having things telegraphed.

Related to that I'm watching the G1 opener and I was not expecting to see Toru Yano win.

One cool thing is I'm finally starting to recognize guys just from past watching and hearing their names said a lot from the English announcing team. It really helps me get into the product more and more.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 16, 2017

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Thauros posted:

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/941902473970704384

best course of action as ibushi can actually win now
I assume Ibushi will win now to start setting up Omega vs Ibushi again. Not sure how Omega vs Cody fits in too though; seems like something that could be on this year's Long Beach show in my head

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Price Check posted:

Naito straight up said "Dude, you hosed up by using that on me in these pointless tag matches. You should've saved it for the Dome, now I'm ready for it." so I think Okada's gonna try to counter the Destino and Naito's gonna counter the Cobra back into the Destino.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Damnit now I really want to see a Dalton Castle Tokyo Dome entrance and I'm sad that it probably won't happen :(

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I nuts in thinking that Don Callis sounds a little like Mauro Ranallo?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Am I nuts in thinking that Don Callis sounds a little like Mauro Ranallo?

Both are Canadian

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

So for the 3rd year, my friend and I are taking the day off work to eat food and watch WK. Last 2 years we did Sapporo talls and yakitori but want to switch it up this year. Does the Tokyo Dome have any signature junk food?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that the first of the Korakuen doubleshot shows is tomorrow

ROAD TO TOKYO DOME
December 17th at 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

YLC Match:Syota Umino [0] vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi [0]
YLC Match:Katsuya Kitamura [4] vs. Ren Narita [0]
YLC Match:Hirai Kawato [4] vs. Tomoyuki Oka [4]
Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask IV, and Henare vs. Suzuki-gun (Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
Kota Ibushi and Togi Makabe vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro and Leo Tonga)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, and Taichi)
Satoshi Kojima, KUSHIDA, and Masked Horse vs. Roppongi 3K
NEVER Openweight Trios Championship:L.I.J(c) (EVIL, SANADA, and BUSHI) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and GoD)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi)

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 17, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Good time to watch the English language shows for the G1 Climax.

Only watch the good parts of the G1 to save time.

Oh wait, literally the ENTIRE G1 this year loving ruled from start to finish. Goddamn what a great loving tournament that was.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thauros posted:

Reminder that the first of the Korakuen doubleshot shows is tomorrow

ROAD TO TOKYO Dome
Korakuen Hall

Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask IV, and Henare vs. Suzuki-gun (Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, and Taichi)
NEVER Openweight Trios Championship:L.I.J(c) (EVIL, SANADA, and BUSHI) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and GoD)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi)

I guess the idea with no non YLC singles is to reduce injury risks before the dome show, right? I mean the marches look cool don't get me wrong.

Welp time to set a 4:30 AM alarm with which I'll watch 5 minutes and pass out back to sleep.

Jerusalem posted:

Only watch the good parts of the G1 to save time.

Oh wait, literally the ENTIRE G1 this year loving ruled from start to finish. Goddamn what a great loving tournament that was.

Yeah I got through the opening night, man it was awesome.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I guess the idea with no non YLC singles is to reduce injury risks before the dome show, right? I mean the marches look cool don't get me wrong.

Welp time to set a 4:30 AM alarm with which I'll watch 5 minutes and pass out back to sleep.

Yeah I got through the opening night, man it was awesome.

oh yeah, don't expect a significant singles match out of the top tier roster guys until the dome. This is a huge chance for the younger and lower card guys to start making bids for placement in 2018 cards.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NJPW hardly does singles matches on Road to shows any time of the year anyway and are rare in the company outside of tournaments and title matches. Even on major ppvs like Sakura Genesis and King of Pro Wrestling the bottom half of the card is gonna be multiman matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

oh yeah, don't expect a significant singles match out of the top tier roster guys until the dome. This is a huge chance for the younger and lower card guys to start making bids for placement in 2018 cards.

The relevant young guys in those singles matches won't even be around for most of 2018.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Thauros posted:

NJPW hardly does singles matches on Road to shows any time of the year anyway and are rare in the company outside of tournaments and title matches. Even on major ppvs like Sakura Genesis and King of Pro Wrestling the bottom half of the card is gonna be multiman matches.

i think the g1 tricks a lot of people into expecting booking more like raw on the lower production shows.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The power of tranquilo shall prevail

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

EdsTeioh posted:

So for the 3rd year, my friend and I are taking the day off work to eat food and watch WK. Last 2 years we did Sapporo talls and yakitori but want to switch it up this year. Does the Tokyo Dome have any signature junk food?

I want to know the answer to this question too

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Here's what they serve inside the Dome:

https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/dome/gourmet_goods/

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
hell yeah tokyo dome KFC

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

VJeff posted:

Naito straight up said "Dude, you hosed up by using that on me in these pointless tag matches. You should've saved it for the Dome, now I'm ready for it." so I think Okada's gonna try to counter the Destino and Naito's gonna counter the Cobra back into the Destino.

Naito's going to debut his own new submission finish that allows him to lounge and pose while his opponent writhes in pain.

Some kind of figure-4 variant + TRANQUILO

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This whole thing with Jericho talking poo poo about Naito reeks of what he and Kenny did before the angle at Power Struggle, so I assume Jericho's already agreed more dates and is going to do something with Naito and/or LIJ in general. The only thing is that I can only see it making sense really if Naito loses and Jericho wins at WK. I suppose if they do the reverse you could have Naito talk smack about Jericho at the post WK press conference or at New Year's Dash and do a brawl or other angle to force Naito to offer a shot at the title to get his hands on Chris.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Holy poo poo thank you. Looks like it’s Sapporo Crab Equipment this year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/K0jiii/status/942311344140931072

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hiromu you beautiful bastard :allears:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ROAD TO TOKYO DOME
Korakuen Hall

[/quote]

this is on. full camera angles for the YLC is a welcome change

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

It might only be because of the hair and the kicks, but I get a big Kota Ibushi vibe when I watch Kawato wrestle. Similarly, Kitamura reminds of that guy from Desolation Jones who has to eat whole cows to survive.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Made it in time for Ibushi, today is a good day.

Edit: Holy gently caress Suzuki shaved a Young Boy :aaa:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 17, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

suzuki tormenting young lions is always good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

My guess is that Masked Horse is gonna end up being Taguchi. He's teaming with mostly juniors and Taguchi's not booked under his own name.

yep

• Locked thread