Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

wandler20 posted:

Wait. What you hearing?

bringing him on as an OC, possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So

ASU hired Herm! And part of the thing was to keep Graham's coordinators around!

Turns out they're both leaving.

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/941687943315501056

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It is beautiful that this nepotistic payday is blowing up in their faces

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Oh man ASU is gonna loving crater so hard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I’m sure the guy who last coached football in 2008 and spent almost his entire career in the NFL will find an innovative offensive mind on the cutting edge of modern colliege football

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chan Gailey isn't doing anything!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Herm’s teams were boring and old fashioned even by the standards of the early 00s NFL (he gave Larry Johnson like 500 carries one year and basically ended his career), it’s gonna be hilarious if he actually gets some input.

Also this has to be bullshit right? It makes no sense unless Schiano is on the way out

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/941718863019945984

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
On the one hand I don't think Les Miles would be the best available choice of HC for probably any P5 program, on the other hand I'm fairly amazed that Les Miles hasn't landed a job, given that he clearly would like one.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

On the one hand I don't think Les Miles would be the best available choice of HC for probably any P5 program, on the other hand I'm fairly amazed that Les Miles hasn't landed a job, given that he clearly would like one.

I think he could get a mid major one if he wanted it and do well. I don’t think he’s a great fit at most of the P5 jobs that he’s gone after, and he’s pretty old.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So

https://twitter.com/DougHaller/status/941723368167837696

yikes

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

Ran the offense at Kansas
That's a hell of a thing to have on your resume.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

That's a hell of a thing to have on your resume.

This is like the minimum wage job you had at mcdonalds you don't put on your professional resume

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

apparently he was the cal passing game/WRs coach in 2014 which is fine but he helped lead KU to 0-12 in 2015 and if I were him i'd be paying reporters not to use that as the lede

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

MourningView posted:

Herm’s teams were boring and old fashioned even by the standards of the early 00s NFL (he gave Larry Johnson like 500 carries one year and basically ended his career), it’s gonna be hilarious if he actually gets some input.

Also this has to be bullshit right? It makes no sense unless Schiano is on the way out

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/941718863019945984

With the 10th coach spot, it might. Schiano is sole DC right now, and Urban prefers having co-DCs with one on-field DC doing adjustments and one focused on playcalling and gameplan, so I actually wouldn't be completely shocked by this. He's only making $600k at Wazzu, and he's basically guaranteed a chance to run the defense once Schiano goes in likely another year if he's worried about control. He's a local guy too, so it's basically a "don't gently caress this up for 2 years, and you can get your first HC job from whoever wants to poach a Meyer assistant" offer.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

This is purely speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kent wanted to drop football entirely, and may have even looked at it, but I'm guessing the MAC won't let them stay as a basketball-only member of the conference.

If the MAC wouldn't let UMass park its football program there I can't imagine they'd let Kent State park its everything else. And if that's the case, maybe they're not long for FBS?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they drop football and need a home Kent basketball might be able to get a MVC spot at this point

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Korranus posted:

If the MAC wouldn't let UMass park its football program there I can't imagine they'd let Kent State park its everything else. And if that's the case, maybe they're not long for FBS?

It's possible, I also wouldn't be shocked if they ultimately just folded football entirely. The MAC started pressing schools to be fully invested with sports (i.e. not just one-sport members) back when Temple joined as a football-only member. Temple football was 1,000% rear end at the time, and the MAC was pissed they didn't get their basketball program along with them. The UMass thing seemed like a "sure, why not?" temporary measure right from the get-go.

Kent State seems to be at something of a crossroads. I don't blame them for wanting to focus on the arena sports since while they're lower-revenue, they're also far lower cost. I can't imagine they have any conferences as suitors if they go basketball-only, but I don't know the CBB landscape that well, so maybe someone's willing to take a flyer on them.

E: Alternatively, if Kent State leaves the MAC for whichever reason, I'm not sure who the conference would replace them with. I can't imagine Marshall coming back.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 15, 2017

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If Kent goes to FCS or folds altogether, wouldn't the MAC be looking for a replacement immediately to stay at twelve teams? Would Youngstown St make the jump?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

If Kent goes to FCS or folds altogether, wouldn't the MAC be looking for a replacement immediately to stay at twelve teams? Would Youngstown St make the jump?

Yeah they'd move quick to find a replacement. YSU wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's always seemed like they've been comfortable at the FCS level.

E: Their stadium does seat 20,000 though, which has to be one of the larger places as FCS teams go.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Extremely great football program New Mexico State will join the Mac East.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

skaboomizzy posted:

Youngstown was near the bottom of the valley this year and last year’s playoff run aside have been decent but not great lately. Plus that’s a market they already have pretty saturated. From a quality standpoint it’d be NDSU if they wanted to pick off a FCS team but NDSU doesn’t seem like they want to move. I feel like they’d probably go after a CUSA team like WKU or maybe invite Marshall back?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WKU is a good idea, I hadn't thought of them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I assume the MAC has a better TV deal money wise than CUSA now since they’re on ESPN more instead of CBS Sports Net but I guess I don’t know that for sure. You also have to play on like Tuesday and poo poo which is a pain in the rear end.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

an adult beverage posted:

Oh man ASU is gonna loving crater so hard.

:(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I assume the MAC has a better TV deal money wise than CUSA now since they’re on ESPN more instead of CBS Sports Net but I guess I don’t know that for sure. You also have to play on like Tuesday and poo poo which is a pain in the rear end.

Yeah the weeknight games are weird but they've gotten good about basically giving the whole conference their bye weeks around Halloween, then getting into the weeknight games from there, so at least it doesn't screw anyone over.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah the weeknight games are weird but they've gotten good about basically giving the whole conference their bye weeks around Halloween, then getting into the weeknight games from there, so at least it doesn't screw anyone over.

The MAC: Smarter than the NFL

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kent dropped their stadium capacity from 30k to 25k about ten years ago too. That wasn't a particularly good sign.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So

For all the attention Tennessee got, I think ASU has had the worst coaching change this year. Total disaster, their recruiting is boned at this point with early signing right around the corner too

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

At least tennessee has the benefit of a coach that is kind of unknown for a head coaching position but known to be a drat good position coach and recruiter. I don't know what Herm offers in the modern era of college football.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

At least tennessee has the benefit of a coach that is kind of unknown for a head coaching position but known to be a drat good position coach and recruiter. I don't know what Herm offers in the modern era of college football.

Nothing at all. Which is why it’s so goddamned perplexing. Sumlin at ASU made waaaaaay more sense.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i actually had to double check that a college hired Herm loving Edwards as coach and this wasn't just the internet being all crazy again

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

If Ole Miss wants to keep Longo they will keep him. Matt Luke’s contract doesn’t pay him tons, but it gives him a salary pool of a little over $5 million for assistants.

It’s possible they may not fight to keep him, as some fans were inexplicably upset with his work (particularly how the offense did against good defenses) but I thought he did a fine job and would be sad to see him go.

It's been pointed out that Jedd Fisch is out of work, so he wouldn't shock me either.

Longo is a weird schematic fit for the roster, and only really makes sense if he's on the way out or is desperate to come him. Having a spread guy when they had a roster built for running every down cost them 3 wins in 2015, and they can't afford that kind of rebuild from scratch again in year 3.

There were lots of crazy stories today about P5 teams hiring G5 coordinators as their 10th assistant (like Grinch, and Bama hiring someone's DC), so I don't know how that throws a wrench into things. Thankfully, people don't realize yet I think that Jay Niemann is a really good DC.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

I’m sure the guy who last coached football in 2008 and spent almost his entire career in the NFL will find an innovative offensive mind on the cutting edge of modern colliege football

i am sorry, but you're messing with The Herminator

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oh my god they hired the architect of kansas' 0-12 offense for real

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Arizona State's AD must be running a The Producers-style scam

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

hifi posted:

oh my god they hired the architect of kansas' 0-12 offense for real

Get ready for "lovely run, lovely run, horrifyingly lovely pass, punt" over and over again.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Hiring Herm is weird because the job shouldn't have been open at all.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Lol at ASU’s AD calling out Fulmer and then all this poo poo happens. You hired Herm Edwards dawg stay in your lane

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou hired McElwain's OL coach Brad Davis. Hope he can pick up where Elarbee left off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

MourningView posted:

In news literally only I care about

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/940948258230276096

New Mexico wasn’t very good this year but they run a really cool shotgun triple option that might be my favorite on all of college football from pure dorky schematic level. It tore some teams up last year too so it can definitely work. More importantly it mean GA Southern is back to being a triple option team as god intended.

He didn't adjust well during this season. We lost all of our O linemen from last year from either graduation or injuries, and the offense only really looked like itself against Air Force. The Oline wasn't replenished and there were no plans to replenish, from what I could tell. Watch our first half against Wyoming to see what problems we had.

We also had a couple decent QBs but instead started our bad QB because he started some games last year. Almost beat Boise with the backup, then went right back to our bad QB the next week.

But he was a really good coordinator the two years prior to that. Our defense is the real problem at UNM since Rocky Long was run out of town.

• Locked thread