Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't care about the law stuff, it'll get funny on its own.

What is currently tickling me is:

CryTek made the entirety of the Kickstarter stuff that backers swooned over
Backers now hate CryTek
By extension they hate Star Citizen :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/KapikHusky/status/941545835111862272
https://twitter.com/KapikHusky/status/941974820182544384
https://twitter.com/KapikHusky/status/942051161238097920
https://twitter.com/KapikHusky/status/942052928822669312

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I Greyhound posted:

I've been involved in a few patent and civil liability suits, and those rarely go to trial, but they do often involve a lot of discovery and depositions and reports before they settle. A lot of the time, the two sides consider it worth going through those initial expenses to size up their chances, and also to try to get a better settlement, so it's not uncommon for settlements to be reached the day before the start of the full trial.
I think this case is truly sui generis. Leaving aside questions of copyright, on the contractual claims I don't think I've ever seen such blatant acts that gird the plaintiff's complaints so publicly. It takes major incompetence to cop to a material claim on the complaint in your first response to the media about the suit.

Every insider should have seen this suit coming. These aren't obscure clauses like the infamous "bowl of M&Ms without any brown ones," these would go to the very heart of why there's a commercial relationship between the two parties. And at least on the allegations, everyone's seen that CIG has very loudly advertised what in retrospect is rather damning evidence. We're not testing the limits of IP law or needing to go on fishing expeditions through the parties' paper trail, Crytek is alleging that anyone with a pair of eyes would be seeing enormous breaches of the contract, things that are still happening to this day with the latest release of Bugsmashers.

CIG, given some rope, crafted an elaborate noose with flashing LED lights and a pyre to burn the entire gallows in a fantastic display of light and sound. It's legal self immolation on a ridiculous level.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

this is my official affadavit stating that Crytek in no way influenced my making of stupid photoshops for the Star Citizen thread and Derek Smart has explicit permission to use any and all images, videos, and text I have posted to any and all Star Citizen threads on noted dead gay comedy forums website www dot somethingawful dot com

hah, take that lawyers :smuggo:

As an official internet notary I hereby notarise this affidavit and volunteer to speak it into the record at space court

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mkF4vkE.mp4

It's totally new technology, guys.
I just don't understand why Chris would even bother saying how REAL and NOT FAKED everything is. Like, if he didn't say that, who cares? He's just showing himself to be even more of a liar for no apparent reason.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheAgent posted:

I think I've always said 2018 was when star citizen was coming out

Star Citizen MVP launch day:

Blaegis1
Jul 13, 2016
BTW, could Amazon have a problem with the fact that CIG is now officially claiming that SC is made with Lumberyard, whereas it is, in fact, not?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I love it. I wish I knew who bought it. Whoever bought me that, please PM me so I can set a reminder to send a free autographed copy of the book.

Yes, of course. I will post instructions on how to do that once it is published. Right now, the plan is for hardcover, paperback and Kindle. So anyone buying and send me their copy in a self-addressed return mailer, will get it signed.

And I don't care how many pages it takes, all Goons actively involved in this drama since The July Blog, will be listed individually. I am still waiting on legal to let me know if I can in fact use the memes which have become part of the drama culture. Though they are in public domain, the ones I use, I may just need a waiver from the creators. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I am also considering doing an audio book of all the blogs, and all the key articles I have written. Just need to figure out if I am going to narrate it, of have a voice actor do it; since I know several who have worked with me on games over the years.

As much flak as we give your long blogs and general knack of producing a lot of words, I would definitely buy your book (hardback of course) and send it to you for a signature (generous and nice offer tbh), and I would read it and enjoy it. :)

I bet MoMa would too tbh. :)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blaegis1 posted:

BTW, could Amazon have a problem with the fact that CIG is now officially claiming that SC is made with Lumberyard, whereas it is, in fact, not?

I mean, here's Google:

At this point they could... switch to Unity?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Can you interact with that holo-man and push him around like other characters? Could you push him to the other side of the space station and then turn him on and off?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

thatguy posted:

Can you interact with that holo-man and push him around like other characters? Could you push him to the other side of the space station and then turn him on and off?

I wonder why they barricaded all around the desk.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Dusty Lens posted:

Ships. Half the game. Pimping out the task of building AI to about four companies. Setting up leaderboards on the website with Turbulent. Should be fine.

Lol if The Next Great Starship ends up being part of this.

maybe fuzzy can talk about his demo reel in court again!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm the one window-licking mongoloid liking this dude's twitter posts

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/941788293951377408
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/942072589689806848

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Blaegis1 posted:

Amazon already know it isn't using their stuff because they spent 6 weeks in there trying to help them migrate it.

Now we learn from Derek CIG had been trying previously for a year on their own.

Essentially CIG have tried to move it onto LY to cut Crytek out of the picture but hosed it all up.

As it all becomes clearer you begin to understand just how last ditch desperate Chris was to get something built for kickstarter.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

At about 0:55 there's a very obvious dude walking in place bug, holy gently caress this is a TERRIBLE "cinematic montage"

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Amazon lists Star Citizen as "built with Lumberyard" on their Lumberyard page still.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 16, 2017

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

kw0134 posted:

I think this case is truly sui generis. Leaving aside questions of copyright, on the contractual claims I don't think I've ever seen such blatant acts that gird the plaintiff's complaints so publicly. It takes major incompetence to cop to a material claim on the complaint in your first response to the media about the suit.

Every insider should have seen this suit coming. These aren't obscure clauses like the infamous "bowl of M&Ms without any brown ones," these would go to the very heart of why there's a commercial relationship between the two parties. And at least on the allegations, everyone's seen that CIG has very loudly advertised what in retrospect is rather damning evidence. We're not testing the limits of IP law or needing to go on fishing expeditions through the parties' paper trail, Crytek is alleging that anyone with a pair of eyes would be seeing enormous breaches of the contract, things that are still happening to this day with the latest release of Bugsmashers.

CIG, given some rope, crafted an elaborate noose with flashing LED lights and a pyre to burn the entire gallows in a fantastic display of light and sound. It's legal self immolation on a ridiculous level.

maybe sandi can finally be the center of attention and the star of the show like she always wanted.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

I'm prepared to make truly awful crude representations of any and all memes in MS Paint, if it's any help.

Oh, and you should totally hire Mark Hamill for the audio book.

Alternately, you could hire Sandi. I have a feeling she'll be looking for work once this is all over.

Blaegis1
Jul 13, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Amazon already know it isn't using their stuff because they spent 6 weeks in there trying to help them migrate it.

Essentially CIG have tried to move it onto LY to cut Crytek out of the picture but hosed it all up.

As it all becomes clearer you begin to understand just how last ditch desperate Chris was to get something built for kickstarter.

Ok, given the current situation how long is it going to take Amazon to do a quick cost/benefit analysis and tell CIG something along the lines of: "could you kindly stop referencing our engine in your product until such time it actually runs on it, thanks."?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

This guy is utterly thick

SQ42 didn't become a separate game until CIG split the titles years later and started taking pre-orders for SQ42.

Then after a while it became SQ42 Prelude, with further licenses being required for each new chapter.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

SomethingJones posted:

crytek took a gamble and put man hours/labour into it and in return CR promised to make the game and help Crytek out by submitting code back and PR. Plus of course $.

He hit the jackpot and saw Crytek failing and wanted out of the deal - so he picked up as many (devs) as he could and spent a full year trying to implement LY.

Just like his management skills his ability to predict future events is shallow and myopic. Now he is hosed. loving sleazy.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

This guy is utterly thick

SQ42 didn't become a separate game until CIG split the titles years later and started taking pre-orders for SQ42.

Then after a while it became SQ42 Prelude, with further licenses being required for each new chapter.

Baghdad Bob knew he was hosed too, but he still had a job to do.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

When SC was first pitched their goal was to raise two million and then solicit a publisher to help them build the rest of the game.

I wonder how much of the original contract was built around that goal.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/10/star-citizen-chris-roberts-next-frontier

"Thus while Star Citizen will feature a single-or-multiplayer campaign mode called Squadron 42"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man the title of the video in that image is Star Citizen Extended Trailer - Squadron 42 lol. You can forgive people for thinking Squadron 42 was originally meant to be part of Star Citizen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Did anyone say 10 to Life for the Chairman yet

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Ayn Marx posted:

I'm the one window-licking mongoloid liking this dude's twitter posts

In before it was a goon from this thread who accidentally fat fingered it on mobile.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Natron posted:

Alternately, you could hire Sandi. I have a feeling she'll be looking for work once this is all over.

Looking: Lots of money, Hollywood contacts. A cult of followers preferred.

I'm going to miss this thread.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Natron posted:

Gary Oldman, but only if he reads it in the Admiral Parpman voice.

e: I wouldn't worry about Sandi, she's got other things to fall back on. S&M benches for tickling, mostly

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Natron posted:

“If this doesn’t work out, I’m sure someone will hire you.”

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Did anyone say 10 to Life for the Chairman yet

thread title imho

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Titanic posted:

The original demo for the game was built by CryTek. Chris Roberts couldn’t even build it because he had no talent or ability. He farmed it out to people who were capable of doing it.

<snip>

Everything since the original CryTek demo has been a barely functional, definitely not production worthy effort, hack job to extend the original stuff CryTek did.

The original stuff CryTek did was very loving good for a demo, even had the walking around inside a ship stuff, and was designed to meet the original goals of the game pretty easily.

I don't think that you're right on that, the thing built by Crytek or with Crytek's assistance was trailers and pitch video stuff I think.

IE this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0&t=505s
which is totally not a functional demo. All those cuts show evidence of being stitched together from bits that almost certainly couldn't have been played continuously. Working in engine, but all those transitions are loading a different chunk of game to work. You make a guy able to walk around on the ship, but that's a basic function of the game engine. Crytek took their art assets and stuck them in engine.

Which is all totally normal for a pitch / concept presentation. You don't build anything more than you need to show the ideas and demonstrate the gameplay potential. It's a cartoon movie set with cardboard storefronts. The difference is that if you were a game studio pitching to a publisher, you don't pretend that your "vertical slice" is actually working gameplay.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

G0RF posted:

“If this doesn’t work out, I’m sure someone will hire you.”

Oh my god, you could hire her, and then fire her using the exact script from her weird "firing over the phone" skit.

You know what to do, Derek.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

thatguy posted:

I just don't understand why Chris would even bother saying how REAL and NOT FAKED everything is. Like, if he didn't say that, who cares? He's just showing himself to be even more of a liar for no apparent reason.

The continual lying followed by immediate self-incrimination is one of the best things about this saga, see video below

REAL NEWTONIAN PHYSICS :smug::smug::smuggo:

Errmm... Newtonian mode off!!! :sweatdrop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KePkk8LXdOg&t=1384s

"Decouple mode" aka noclip :allears:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Golli posted:

The folk tale of the scorpion and the frog seems on point for this.

Except Ortwin's the frog and at the end of the folk tale he's like "dude you knew I couldn't swim"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many people who bought computers just for Star Citizen are gonna turn them into buttcoin miners now

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Taintrunner posted:

How many people who bought computers just for Star Citizen are gonna turn them into buttcoin miners now

That one guy who turned his basement into a spaceship must be feeling p good about that decision now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
ive never actually completed a mission in 3.0 ever

quote:

I've probably put maybe 15-20 hrs into 3.0 and filed dozens of issues. I've never actually completed a mission. Not one. Comedy of errors:
    - Pick up cargo, get the glitch where it attaches to my hand, cannot place it
    - Pick up a black box, it is bugged and cannot pick up
    - Pick up cargo correctly, unable to place it anywhere on my Connie
    - Connie ladder of death
    - Try and zero G out of my Titan cockpit, get glitched and am unable to EVA anywhere
    - Finally pick up cargo, place it, game crashes
    - Finally pick up cargo, place it, mission never updates
    - Try and find missing crew, mission just ends while I am roaming the wreckage
    - EVA into my Titan with cargo, glitch and die
    - EVA into my Cutlass with cargo, glitch and die
    - EVA out of my Titan, grab cargo, return to Titan to see it doing the fun pre 3.0 spin of death
    - Grab cargo, EVA back into my Cutlass, place it, doorway to cockpit won't open

Never mind the undestroyable pirates. I just spent 20 min dogfighting a cutlass only to have it finally just disappear. I know it's alpha, I am just wondering if others suffer the same degree of fail.