Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Morglon posted:

I saw a video last week where they invited some guy to test it and apparently it works but only cuts one hair at a time and they're working on making it cut more than one hair at a time or so they say.

That videos from like a year or two ago, presumably it's what they're still working on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm the 15+ seconds of lovely re-breather sounds at the end of the video.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I'm the mirror on a retractable stick and I pinky promise not to insidiously reflect the high-energy laser beams back towards the proud wielder.

I'm also the Spanish writing on some of the "drawings".

And also the dream team of Stas, Konstantin and Ruslan.

As well as the authorial statement to refrain from using the developed mega-battery in any commercial ways other than the exclusive production of Russian laser swords to avoid going up as a competitor against existing power companies.

And the promise that the sword will be able to cut metal sheets in a single swing.

Additionally, I'm the suggestion that Russian laser swords will be amazing for fencing practice.

I'm many other things in this project, too many to list but all consistently hilarious.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Foglet posted:

I'm the mirror on a retractable stick and I pinky promise not to insidiously reflect the high-energy laser beams back towards the proud wielder.

I'm also the Spanish writing on some of the "drawings".

And also the dream team of Stas, Konstantin and Ruslan.

As well as the authorial statement to refrain from using the developed mega-battery in any commercial ways other than the exclusive production of Russian laser swords to avoid going up as a competitor against existing power companies.

And the promise that the sword will be able to cut metal sheets in a single swing.

Additionally, I'm the suggestion that Russian laser swords will be amazing for fencing practice.

I'm many other things in this project, too many to list but all consistently hilarious.

According to google translate he thinks this is going to be a hit with kids too

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
But will the sword do whooshing sounds?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Paladinus posted:

But will the sword do whooshing sounds?

Oh yes, it's explicitly mentioned. It will feature tons of electronics - to monitor charge levels, control possible overheating and notify the user of any malfunctions in (as the author felt important enough to specify) a male voice.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Foglet posted:

Oh yes, it's explicitly mentioned. It will feature tons of electronics - to monitor charge levels, control possible overheating and notify the user of any malfunctions in (as the author felt important enough to specify) a male voice.

Wow, they've thought of everything!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Foglet posted:

Exsqueeze me... Yousa lightsaber is muy muy overheatin!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

GrandpaPants posted:

Uh you're adding fertilizer man, they're obviously going to grow into more toilet paper flowers. This is like, basic toilet paper botany dude.

So you are putting the paper back after you use it? That's going to look like poo poo unless you get the person that made the original thing to come and fold it for you.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Yeah, you can thoroughly clean your teeth in 3 seconds, of course you can.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2077043275/unicotm/description
I think I said the same thing with the last on; for gently caress sake, if you don’t have 30 seconds to spare to shoddily brush your teeth, you ain’t doing any favors to anyone (well, maybe the geeks behind the project).

Then again TBH, I think the whole ”Oh, how to squeeze something that is relatively short time even shorter time”-angle completely stupid angle to sell these things, since I gotta admit, I hate to gonk all over my mouth with toothbrush. Getting the whole thing done once is far more interesting angle than stab my gums/not yet removable wisdom teeth to point of aching.

When they know how to make that ”entire mouth efficiently clean”-thing to look something else than an adult sucking a pacifier, then I can throw some money at that direction.

simplyhorribul has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Dec 1, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_mZAxklrU

Is it spawn camping to post something that’s not on Kickstarter yet? They have a slick counterdown telling me it’s launching tomorrow.

It’s not quite physically impossible for this to work as advertised, but I guarantee it will be disappointing. If you leave it in the Sun all day at the Equator it might heat up a litre of water at the end of the day.

Their commercial is like a parody of itself.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Dec 3, 2017

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Comments are disabled for this video.

:thunk:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Platystemon posted:

Is it spawn camping to post something that’s not on Kickstarter yet? They have a slick counterdown telling me it’s launching tomorrow.

It’s not quite physically impossible for this to work as advertised, but I guarantee it will be disappointing. If you leave it in the Sun all day at the Equator it might heat up a litre of water at the end of the day.

listen for the audiojungle watermark at 1:34

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Morphcooker works so bad that it even broke your link and leads to "https://4.0.0.184/" ?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

value-brand cereal posted:

Morphcooker works so bad that it even broke your link and leads to "https://4.0.0.184/" ?

Fixed.

It was supposed to go to a Wolfram|Alpha query for an estimation of the time it would take to accumulate enough energy to boil a litre of water, but I accidentally copy & pasted the query text and not the URL.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
It’s not ONLY solar powered. It’s a battery powered heating element that CAN be charged by the sun (or a wall outlet)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At first I figured it was just going to be a conventionalish multipurpose pot/pan that could go over a fire while also collapsing/expanding. Which seems much more viable to me than a pot/pan with a tiny battery and heating element.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

It’s not ONLY solar powered. It’s a battery powered heating element that CAN be charged by the sun (or a wall outlet)

I should have criticised the battery capacity first because that’s actually a bigger problem. There’s a reason one doesn’t see many battery powered heaters larger than a hand warmer.

One 18650 cell is about 45 g and will only bring 100 g of cool water to a boil.

It takes a rather large battery to do any real cooking.

This fuel canister has about the same energy as approximately one gross of those cells.

An electric heating element will transfer a greater proportion of energy to the food than an open flame will, but even accounting for that, it’s 18:1 in favour of butane canisters by mass.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Dec 3, 2017

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Platystemon posted:

Morphcooker: the cooker which doesn't care about consent

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Platystemon posted:

They keep pushing the Kickstarter campaign back. Yesterday afternoon it was slated to go up at midnight. This morning when I checked, it had been pushed back to sometime around noon. Now the countdown is showing it will go up at 10pm.

e: And now it's been pushed back to 10am tomorrow. There might be problems. Just a guess.

CollegeCop has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Dec 5, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CollegeCop posted:

They keep pushing the Kickstarter campaign back. Yesterday afternoon it was slated to go up at midnight. This morning when I checked, it had been pushed back to sometime around noon. Now the countdown is showing it will go up at 10pm.

e: And now it's been pushed back to 10am tomorrow. There might be problems. Just a guess.

They finally launched it.

The numbers more or less check out.

They claim will bring two cups of water to a boil in twelve minutes, have a total run time of thirty minutest, that it has 750 g (!) of battery weight, and that it will solar charge in seven hours.

That’s pitiful, but at least it doesn’t break any physical laws.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What if it did? Would you call the physics police on them?

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
I can't even begin to describe this. You'll have to watch the video.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/817724076/helpinghand-cleaning-glove?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

My wife just happens to be washing dishes right now, so I showed her this to show her what we're missing.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
That looks like some students were tasked with creating a kickstarter campaign as a homework assignment. Is this the kind of thing business schools teach nowadays?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

This isn't a terrible idea, but Velcro strips and cleaning gloves are cheap and plentiful, and even .I could make a sturdier, better-looking version of this in a couple of minutes. Couldn't he have made a more impressive prototype?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I want this person to go on shark tank/dragon's den with this

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Internet Janitor posted:

That looks like some students were tasked with creating a kickstarter campaign as a homework assignment. Is this the kind of thing business schools teach nowadays?

That's my suspicion too. We get our second-year college students to make a short kickstarter-style video as a way of articulating a customer problem/solution pitch. I'd never in a million years get them to put it online, and a group would have to be pretty bad to get to that stage with a fake problem idea like that.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A common problem

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

gschmidl posted:

A common problem

I'm not a wax seal aficionado, but aren't such seals mounted to whatever (a ring, a handle...I guess a stick) individually to begin with? And also isn't the point of a seal that you only use an individual one? So this is for people forging deeds in the 1600s or what...

This is funny and cute. It's definitely for a chuckle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Platystemon posted:

They finally launched it.

The numbers more or less check out.

They claim will bring two cups of water to a boil in twelve minutes, have a total run time of thirty minutest, that it has 750 g (!) of battery weight, and that it will solar charge in seven hours.

That’s pitiful, but at least it doesn’t break any physical laws.

Is this slower than a little butane stove?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Is this slower than a little butane stove?

A jetboil does 2 cups in 2 minutes.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I.C. posted:

I'm not a wax seal aficionado, but aren't such seals mounted to whatever (a ring, a handle...I guess a stick) individually to begin with? And also isn't the point of a seal that you only use an individual one? So this is for people forging deeds in the 1600s or what...

Generally yeah. I think it's a novel idea if they want to sell individual custom made seal heads for their magnet stick thing.

It's a trend of instagram and such to do videos of performing the act of using was seals on paper or envelopes. It is both aesthetically pleasing and to a large amount of people with autism find it mentally stimulating in a specific way for their condition. It usually has nothing to do with legal / security seals. Also I think there's a fairly big industry for super fancy invitations for weddings and special events and stuff who sell wax sealing stuff to people.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I.C. posted:

So this is for people forging deeds in the 1600s or what...
well poo poo now I'm in for $100 when I build my time machine I'll be a kajillionaire

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

well poo poo now I'm in for $100 when I build my time machine I'll be a kajillionaire

Username/scheme combo.

Gonna laugh when you part the waterveil to Timewalk back and end up getting your thumbs cut off or whatever barbaric punishment they did to forgers and end up getting discovered as a skeleton on an old pauper's grave with anachronistic dental work that baffles scientists.

Owlbear Camus has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Dec 17, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
What about an art gallery where you can buy things with bitcoins, and the backer reward is an unspecified discount on the artworks the gallery won't have?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2092463407/worlds-first-bitcoin-only-art-gallery

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What about an art gallery where you can buy things with bitcoins, and the backer reward is an unspecified discount on the artworks the gallery won't have?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2092463407/worlds-first-bitcoin-only-art-gallery

But can we use Bcash to buy Bart?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jamesyeager/yeagertube

quote:

About
WE are going to build a place where our freedom loving culture can share photos, articles, videos and podcasts. A place that doesn't muzzle the voices of freedom and that cherishes our heritage.

Risks and challenges
Short term I risk embarrassment and in the long term we miss out on the ability to say things that are not popular even though they are true. We CAN do this. We CAN build a community of like minded folks. It is my mission. I will not fail.

Definitely not a Nazi.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Someone gave that guy ten thousand dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Actually just a militia lunatic! From his last kickstarter:

quote:

So what is AMMONATION? Aren't you sick and tired of the mainstream media telling you that all gun owners are a bunch of right wing wackos? US TOO! We want to portray the people that take guns and training seriously in a 100% no bullshit fashion! We will also be BIASED by showing the world how positive and rewarding gun ownership and proficiency can be.

James Yeager will run the production of this documentary front to back. His already wildly popular YouTube channel is a success because of his "tell it like it is" personality and his unwillingness to take poo poo off any person. His background as an undercover cop, police sniper, SWAT team leader, High Risk Civilian Contractor and world renowned Tactical Instructor make him ideal to head this project. He will use his tenacious style and aggressive flair to create a program unlike any you have ever seen!

This is basically a "make it or break it" for James Yeager. He has been on TV multiple times but it appears as if his Pro-America/Pro-Freedom views do not mesh with what some major networks want for the American people. If he can not be successful with this project his TV days will come to an end. He has chosen to make his own destiny instead of working with people that despise him...and you.

ngl I'm pretty sure this dude is full of poo poo (lol what the gently caress even is a High Risk Civilian Contractor), but he got even more money this time than last time, so welcome to 2018!

Also, while googling the term "High risk civilian contractor" I found out that basically nobody else uses that term because it's not a thing, but he wrote a book about his time in Iraq. That's how I found these glowing reviews of his book:

quote:

The uninitiated should be aware that this man is considered to be a self-promoting POS by many real BTDT's (been there done that) in the Military and Contracting communities. The dash cam footage of how he panicked under stress and ran for the ditch at the side of the road while leaving members of his team to die is shown to every class of individuals attending a major contractors train-up for a certain current contract.

Why shouldn't you buy this book? Because if you are qualified and picked up to work OCONUS you will learn everything you need to know that you might not have learned in the military by the company you are hired by and the instructors who work for them, any one of whom has more knowledge in their little finger than this guy has in his entire body. The working conditions and ROE (rules of engagement) as they presently exist in Iraq are entirely different from his brief time here. This man was never in the military, having only worked for a small podunk Sheriff's Dept at the time when he convinced someone he was the wizard of SWAT and got hired during a period when PMC's could not get bodies in-country fast enough.

quote:

Yeager is a fake and has built his entire career on one firefight in Iraq where he was directly responsible for 2 of his teammates getting killed. There is NO book anyone can read to prepare you for civilian contracting. That is not how it works.. There are prerequisites that generally involve military combat experience of which he has none. He got sucked up when a company needed to fill a slot and didn't have enough people to do it. He has a YouTube channel, if you watch one video and think he is awesome, then contracting is not for you. He is a poser to the full extent. I am embarrassed for those who think he is a hero because there is no other "quiet professional" to counter his BS. The simple fact that he responds to every criticism with a YouTube post speaks volumes. He targets the airsoft demographic, DO NOT take his recommendations in a real world fight.

quote:

Too many infatuated civilians commented on remingtons review. So I'll keep this short and simple. No, I have not read this book, no I never will. Yes, I am in the industry, I'm even oconus at the moment. As such I feel I'm bound to save as many patriotic doe-eyed civilians from reading this as possible.

Google search "james yeager fraud" or his best buddy "ben mookie thomas fraud" and you'll get plenty of results from forums and what-not, from real operators, and what the their reputations are in the real world. I've never met a team mate who's had a positive thing to say about either of them. Do I know him personally? No. Is the contracting world really small? Yes. When you're a fake or a tool are you discovered real quick and get a reputation? Yup! Does the author have this reputation? You bet! Has he worked any legitimate contract recently? And is the video of them taking contact on route Irish showed in every training class for contracting as a lesson on "don't be that guy"? Yup!

And to reiterate what remington said, if you need to read this book to get into contracting, I can save you the trouble, you're not qualified. If you're a civilian and just like reading books that pretend to bleed red, white and blue, then you might be impressed by this. But when you put it on the bookshelf, put it right next to Tom Clancy, because it's just as fictitious as his books... except that Clancy actually got research from experts... so I guess Clancy's books would actually have more merit.