Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Democrats benefit from gerrymandering in blue states too, they're just not as good at it.

Gerrymandering is a cause that VOTERS want pursued, not parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Most individual reps are happy with their gerrymandered district. Who wouldn't want to be in a D+80 packed district so you get re-elected with no risk for the rest of time?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

gowb posted:

I wanted to address this even tho it was pages ago. I live in the Deep South. It isn't as blood red as idiots like you think. For a long time, Louisiana has had democratic representatives and senators and even governors, like our current John Bel Edwards. Alabama going democrat isn't that amazing. That a race against a loving pedophile was so close IS.

The south is quite receptive to leftist policy. We just haven't had anyone willing to really go whole hog on it since Huey Long.

No, you're right. A state that voted for Trump by 28 points suddenly experiencing a 30-point swing in an off-off-year special election is nothing crazy. Nothing to see here, folks. Pack it in.

Look, I realize there were some mitigating factors. Roy Moore being a disgusting pedophile and too far-right even for the right wing was already known, but Republicans have such a massive built-in advantage in Alabama that everyone figured that would just turn a 30-point laugher into a 5-6 point victory.

Are you really that surprised that we're surprised? Alabama has, for the last 30 years or so, given us nothing but our racist Keebler Elf AG and a Republican governor that was too corrupt even for fellow Republicans. Is it such a stretch to say "Wow, I can't believe this normally very Republican state elected a decently center-left Democrat to the Senate"? This was absolutely earth-shattering for the GOP and a huge boon for Democrats. We can only hope that they learn the correct lessons from it.

Also note that I didn't say "the Deep South". I said "Alabama". Alabama is, right now, probably the reddest state left in the Old Confederacy. Even Mississippi is only R+8 or 9, and Democrats can win in Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 16, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Instant Sunrise posted:

Manchin voted to confirm Jeff Sessions.

He actually votes in line with the republicans and trump more than any other Democratic Senator.
I will refer you to this post:

Charlz Guybon posted:

The best example is Joe Manchin. He votes with Trump 53.7% of the time, but Trump's margin in WV was +42.2. His Trump plus/mius is -39.2. That's the 4th best in the Senate.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/joe-manchin-iii/

Would I like some who votes with Trump 13.7% of the time instead of 53.7%? Of course, but that's not going to happen. Manchin is literally the best we can hope for.
:barf:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Most individual reps are happy with their gerrymandered district. Who wouldn't want to be in a D+80 packed district so you get re-elected with no risk for the rest of time?

Corrine Brown actually joined the Republicans in fighting against the lawsuit about Florida gerrymandering.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

joepinetree posted:

Corrine Brown actually joined the Republicans in fighting against the lawsuit about Florida gerrymandering.
And now she can join the general population. Because apparently a free no-effort do-nothing job for life want enough for her.

Good loving riddance.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Sephyr posted:

The fact that they haven't made gerrymandering a cause to shout about from the rooftops is already a decent sign that they won't. I've heard 3 reasons why they avoid messing with voting access:

1- Makes the crusty old whites mad, and if they see a PoC in the same voting line as them they might defect to the GOP (assuming they haven't already).

2- That some of the imbalances benefit the Dems so they just sweep it under the rug (Hard to sustain given that several of the recent elections had good Dem turnout/engagement being translated to meager results once all votes were tallied, leading to the current hollowed out national congressional profile.)

3- That the lion's share of the electred reps and their staff are just fine with being the gatekeepers of liberal thought and don't want no extra people getting their say in and messing up their beautiful consensus.

All three are either morally ghastly or tactically dumb to some degree, so feel free to decide what mix of them describes the current status quo. Compare your build with those of your friends! Fun for the whole family.

We all know what needs to happen. The way to solve America’s problems is so obvious and easy but both parties and every politicians and bureaucrat in Washington will perform the most astounding mental gymnastics that would make the entire Russian Olympic gymnastics team look like rank amateurs to tell you why it can’t happen or why we need to wait.

Nothing short of a revolution will change a drat thing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

Democrats benefit from gerrymandering in blue states too, they're just not as good at it.

Gerrymandering is a cause that VOTERS want pursued, not parties.

Another issue is that Democratic gerrymandering is arguably not good in the long run, as we’ve seen in deep blue states that still have Democrats doing poo poo tier things. Without any opposition, the Dems are free to revel in their worst impulses.

In the absence of any rightward pressure there needs to be some kind of leftist alternative to pressure the Dems or they’ll just ignore their voters since they’ll always win.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
https://twitter.com/steckel/status/942074310914490368

this is kind of tangential to the "Dems being trash" conversation, but holy lol I knew Feinstein was trash but how the gently caress hasn't she been primaried years ago

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Aves Maria! posted:

this is kind of tangential to the "Dems being trash" conversation, but holy lol I knew Feinstein was trash but how the gently caress hasn't she been primaried years ago

Statewide campaigns are very expensive to run in California. DiFi is rich as all hell.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Lmao Feinstein is the worst Dem in Congress and way worse than Manchin for lots of reasons.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

Lmao Feinstein is the worst Dem in Congress and way worse than Manchin for lots of reasons.

And less likely to get the boot.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Manchin's likely Republican opponent is Don Blankenship, who you might remember being the guy that was basically responsible for the Upper Big Branch mine disaster that killed 29 people. He's incredibly self absorbed and completely unrepentant for what he did (he blames Obama for what happened in case you're curious!), so he's going to lose bigly.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aves Maria! posted:

I won't stand in the way of anyone finding reasons to dislike Feinstein but uh that flag event was in 1964, not '84. She had nothing to do with it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Filipino Freakout posted:

I won't stand in the way of anyone finding reasons to dislike Feinstein but uh that flag event was in 1964, not '84. She had nothing to do with it.

Yeah a cursory google search confirms that this was in '64, not '84, and Feinstein was not mayor at that time.

Edit: actually nevermind, it was put back up in '79? Google is offering conflicting accounts, I am perplexed.

http://sfbayview.com/2015/08/1984-confederate-flag-of-slavery-taken-down-from-san-francisco-civic-center-3-times/

This is the only source I can find referencing the flag coming down in 1984 and Feinstein. Other hits are only referencing it in '64.

http://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2015/06/21/in-1964-a-confederate-flag-flew-in-front-of-sf-city-hall/

This is the article that the first one in this post is referring to, I think.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 17, 2017

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Kraftwerk posted:

Nothing short of a revolution will change a drat thing.

That's not true at al,l things like theSquare Deal, New Deal or the Civil Rights Act got done without revolution against just as bad opposition. Sometimes revolutions are necessary but all that immediately proclaiming "only a revolution can do anything" does whenever bad times come is depress peoples will to actually take decisive action and seize political power. We just saw Alabama elect a Democrat senator because they actually bothered to get people out to seize their political power, we can do it nationwide.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

that teaches me for taking the word of twitter people

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You sure?

https://twitter.com/WarWomensRights/status/942085019463503872

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

So this is the same article I posted referencing this event, or at least it's the same text, and these are the only two sources anywhere I can find referencing this. There's barely any references to the '64 incident but there's literally no other sources besides this one page blurb about this event. It isn't in her Wikipedia page either.

I'm not saying they're lying, but this story basically doesn't exist on the internet outside that page as far as I can tell.

Edit: the piece by Peter Hartlaub is the only story I can find referencing the 1964 incident as well, it's in two different places.

So basically there's one source referencing it in '64 and one in '84 and otherwise there's nobody who's ever written a drat thing about this event. :psyduck:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 17, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1984/5/9/a-viable-alternative-pi-am-not/

this mentions it too, and mayor dianne feinstein ordering its replacement

Lightning Knight posted:

So this is the same article I posted referencing this event, or at least it's the same text, and these are the only two sources anywhere I can find referencing this. There's barely any references to the '64 incident but there's literally no other sources besides this one page blurb about this event. It isn't in her Wikipedia page either.

I'm not saying they're lying, but this story basically doesn't exist on the internet outside that page as far as I can tell.

Edit: the piece by Peter Hartlaub is the only story I can find referencing the 1964 incident as well, it's in two different places.

So basically there's one source referencing it in '64 and one in '84 and otherwise there's nobody who's ever written a drat thing about this event. :psyduck:

the above article from the harvard crimson also references the event

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Feinstein is SO much worse than Manchin.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's easy to believe that Manchin is the best the DNC can do in West Virginia. There is NO excuse for Feinstein. She needs to be gone.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

the above article from the harvard crimson also references the event

This is interesting, but it only corroborates the part about her having the one Fort Sumter flag taken down.

How are there only three articles in communist newspapers about this, this should've made every local paper. :psyduck:

Edit: I mean you can argue that "the papers didn't like the protestors" but there should've been at least editorials against the protestors, conservatives calling for the guy who climbed the poll to be jailed. I can't believe something like this would've happened and it wouldn't have generated some kind of mainstream press coverage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

This is interesting, but it only corroborates the part about her having the one Fort Sumter flag taken down.

How are there only three articles in communist newspapers about this, this should've made every local paper. :psyduck:

Edit: I mean you can argue that "the papers didn't like the protestors" but there should've been at least editorials against the protestors, conservatives calling for the guy who climbed the poll to be jailed. I can't believe something like this would've happened and it wouldn't have generated some kind of mainstream press coverage.

It's believable to me. Papers traditionally put the lid on a lot of stories and that's more true the further back you go.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
It’s kind of a silly thing to focus on, anyway. There’s easier ways to go after Feinstein on.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You could probably check the microfiche of the local paper, but you'd have to actually be in the city for that :v:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Democrazy posted:

It’s kind of a silly thing to focus on, anyway. There’s easier ways to go after Feinstein on.

I actually don’t agree, if we could get some decent sources on it, it would be something really strong to hit her for.

Nobody is gonna give a poo poo about articles from communist newspapers 30 years ago though. :(

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

the harvard crimson is not a communist newspaper. it's the student newspaper of harvard.

the very first sentence of the article from the crimson makes itself clear that it is not a communist account:

quote:

I am not a Spart. Nor am I now or have I ever been a member of the Communist Party.

also, what was the confederate flag doing up there two times and why did it need removed two times under her tenure if she wasn't responsible for it LK? as you said, she had the power to have flags like the fort sumter flag removed, so if the confederate flag bothered her at all it shouldn't have returned, and she should've ordered it taken down. that she didn't is problematic enough

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

the harvard crimson is not a communist newspaper. it's the student newspaper of harvard.

the very first sentence of the article from the crimson makes itself clear that it is not a communist account:

also, what was the confederate flag doing up there two times and why did it need removed two times under her tenure if she wasn't responsible for it LK? as you said, she had the power to have flags like the fort sumter flag removed, so if the confederate flag bothered her at all it shouldn't have returned, and she should've ordered it taken down. that she didn't is problematic enough

I assumed it was an editorial, I.e “see even non-communists see that this is hosed up.”

I’m not arguing that it wouldn’t have been bad on Feinstein’s part. I’m saying that there are surprisingly few sources and apparently nothing from normal local papers on the subject and the sources we have are liable to be dismissed. I am legitimately shocked that there isn’t a dozen articles on this, it would’ve been crazy even in ‘84.

Edit: to be clear, I think if you could find this story in a local paper people couldn’t dismiss as biased, you could run an entire primary campaign on “Feinstein defended Confederate flags from anti-racist activists.”

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 17, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Some of the local SF papers don't have online archives that go that far back; you're going to have to have someone hit up a library and take a look at the microfiche. The examiner stops in 06 and the chronicle goes to 85. If it's real, you'd definitely find it, since "guy climbs flagpole to tear down flag" is a good story.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I assumed it was an editorial, I.e “see even non-communists see that this is hosed up.”

I’m not arguing that it wouldn’t have been bad on Feinstein’s part. I’m saying that there are surprisingly few sources and apparently nothing from normal local papers on the subject and the sources we have are liable to be dismissed. I am legitimately shocked that there isn’t a dozen articles on this, it would’ve been crazy even in ‘84.

Edit: to be clear, I think if you could find this story in a local paper people couldn’t dismiss as biased, you could run an entire primary campaign on “Feinstein defended Confederate flags from anti-racist activists.”

Finding small time info from even 2008 is tough, the internet is not particularly good for this stuff.

For example, the info about lieberman getting assurances he’d maintain his seniority and committee positions took me quite a bit of searching to find, and it’s been only a little more than 8 years.

I do not believe the student newspaper of harvard decided to make stuff up that echoes a communist publication in 1984, so that it agrees on all the facts put forth indicates to me that they’re true

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

Finding small time info from even 2008 is tough, the internet is not particularly good for this stuff.

For example, the info about lieberman getting assurances he’d maintain his seniority and committee positions took me quite a bit of searching to find, and it’s been only a little more than 8 years.

I do not believe the student newspaper of harvard decided to make stuff up that echoes a communist publication in 1984, so that it agrees on all the facts put forth indicates to me that they’re true

I don’t think they made it up, but I think you’d have a hard time convincing a lot of people that.

I wish I could actually check the physical archives like Grapplejack mentioned. I really want to know what else was written about this and to be able to definitively prove it happened.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Lightning Knight posted:

I actually don’t agree, if we could get some decent sources on it, it would be something really strong to hit her for.

Nobody is gonna give a poo poo about articles from communist newspapers 30 years ago though. :(

The moment someone brought it up, we almost immediately stopped talking about Feinstein’s connection (which remains unclear, even from the articles) to it. It’s convoluted in comparison to talking about her voting record for Trump’s nominees, for instance.

A Teamsters Joint Council (an amalgamation of locals) endorsed an opponent of Feinstein today. Even that strikes me as a more significant story.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Some of you people really do not understand how politics work. If the story gets traction then we don't have to prove it's veracity—It'll be on Feinstein to prove it's fake.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The connection is strong and the story is simple: Feinstein defied anti-racist activists in support of the confederate flag.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol if you think this flag poo poo will matter to anyone you probably need to spend less time online

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mikeelk/status/942106064077680642

quote:

Union organisers are hoping that the surprise election of Democrat Doug Jones to a Senate seat in Alabama this week could be a big win for organized labor in a state that has long fought to curtail their power.

As big auto factories have set up shop in southern states Republican politicians have worked hard to defeat the unions, particularly the United Auto Workers which has lost a number of key battles to anti-union forces. Jones is pledging to do something different: use his Senate office to actually help workers organise.

On the stump in Alabama, Jones bragged of growing up in a union family as the grandson of unionized steelworkers both employed by US Steel in Birmingham. Jones himself worked a summer job as a member of the steelworkers at US Steel Fairfield Works in order to pay his way through college.

“Doug is one of those unique guys that comes from a working-class background made good by going to law school,” said Daniel Flippo, the steelworkers director for Alabama.

After law school, Jones worked as a lawyer at the firm of Whatley Drake, where he represented unions.

“The steelworkers run deep in his family,” said Flippo. “To have a senator from the state of Alabama that has those roots means a lot. You don’t see that often and that is why we worked so hard on this campaign.”

Jones has already told labor leaders that he is going to hire a full time labor liaison to coordinate his efforts on behalf of Alabama’s labor movement. Jones’s office could play a tremendous role in engaging political and community leaders to get behind efforts to organize the state’s growing auto industry.

Once a stronghold of organized labor, Alabama traditionally boasted a unionization rate that was twice that of its southern neighbors and on par even with some states in the North.

With wall-to-wall unionization at the Tennessee Valley Authority, Goodyear, United Steel, and in the coal mines of Northern Alabama, many there still have fond memories of organized labor and hail from union families like Jones.

In 1993, Alabama’s union membership peaked at 14.7%. However, in recent years, Alabama’s unionization rate has dipped to a mere 8.1% of the state’s population belonging to a union.

As the state’s Senator, Jones has pledged to organized labor to use his office and platform to help workers seeking to organize in the state’s growing auto industry.

Already, Jones’s victory has created a renewed sense of what’s possible among those engaged in the uphill struggle to organize a 6,000-person Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa County, where Jones won by 57%.

“We’re happy about it,” said Mercedes worker Kirk Garner, who has been involved in efforts to organize the plant since 1997. “That’s one more tool that we will have and I think it will help a lot with Doug having a union background.”

Many of Garner’s co-workers worked to elect Jones to the Senate and the confidence in their ability to win in tough fights could help give new energy to the UAW’s drive at the plant, which has been gaining ground in recent months.

Currently, the Mercedes Alabama plant is the only non-union plant owned worldwide by Daimler AG, Mercedes’ parent company.

The company claims that it would remain neutral in its attempt to organize the plant. However, the UAW has long contended that Mercedes has illegally retaliated against workers and filled multiple National Labor Relations Board complaints to protest the firings of pro-union workers.

In 2014, the National Labor Relations Board found that Mercedes illegally restricted the ability of workers to distribute pro-union literature.

Workers at the plant say that in order for workers succeed in unionizing, pressure will have to be applied to Mercedes to remain totally neutral.

Now with an ally in Jones, workers at the plant say they feel more optimistic that they can bring to bear the type of pressure needed to organize the plant.

“It’s gonna require a lot of pressure,” said Garner.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
For everyone getting their hopes up in Doug Jones, I've got a bridge made out of magic beans to sell them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I loving told you guys Jones was good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Jones is gonna lose in 2020 unless he's running against the zombified corpse of Roy Moore's political career so he might as well try to do the best he can and not even worry about re-election

• Locked thread