Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cheap Shot posted:

They honestly should have sold fallout VR as like a 20$ add on to the base fallout 4. They'd sell more copies of the regular game for people interested enough to try it, and they'd sell more of the VR to people who already own the base game and don't want to pay full retail price again for a game they already own with different controls.

They'd also get a lot less bad press from people who think the VR poo poo is half assed since they can just play the game in flatscreen mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Cheap Shot posted:

They honestly should have sold fallout VR as like a 20$ add on to the base fallout 4. They'd sell more copies of the regular game for people interested enough to try it, and they'd sell more of the VR to people who already own the base game and don't want to pay full retail price again for a game they already own with different controls.

People aren't going to 'try' a VR game. You've either wasted the money and bought a headset, therefore are willing to whale purchase VR games, or you won't have player VR in the first place.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
there are lots of games to play that aren't $40-$50; I'm not whaling for poo poo

we just had this discussion about talos principle, lots of people who are unwilling to buy it for $40+ will buy it for $20

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Bhodi posted:

there are lots of games to play that aren't $40-$50; I'm not whaling for poo poo

we just had this discussion about talos principle, lots of people who are unwilling to buy it for $40+ will buy it for $20

In fact Talos VR was $20 yesterday and I definitely bought it.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The main problem with FO4 in VR is that the game is too heavily based around sitting in menus. Skyrim VR works a lot better because Skyrim was fundamentally about running around and slashin dudes on an adventure. Fallout 4 is about looting containers and looking at your pipboy.

That said, I have fun when my system performance is good.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

TheAbortionator posted:

So is using vats a must for VR? I never used it any of the games unless the boss had specific targets I needed to hit.

For the most part I just go melee anyways as clubing poo poo to death never gets old for me. How well does that work?

IMO there are many conflicting sides to this:
1. Hip firing is much harder in VR than it was in flatscreen since you have no crosshair.
2. Iron sights are, if not easier then, much more intuitive and flexible to use in VR than flatscreen.
3. The presentation of VATS in VR is vastly superior to flatscreen because it doesn't pull you out of your regular perspective or require you to leave VATS for the shots to happen.
4. Actually choosing the body part you want to target in VATS in VR is extremely difficult (at least for me and many others). An ini tweak may alleviate this.

As for melee I have found it to be a mixed bag also. Some weapons you grip in a very inappropriate position (eg. Grognak's Axe which you hold in one hand at the very bottom of the handle, as if it was a croquet mallet or something), and it seems as though your hits on enemies just get ignored if they occur too soon after a previous hit-- maybe they are enforcing the flatscreen melee weapons "speed" attribute this way? On the other hand it seems much easier to maneuver in melee and to target specific body parts, since you aren't relying on the handful of stiff player animations.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Hip firing in VR is just soooo fun though.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Thor-Stryker posted:

People aren't going to 'try' a VR game. You've either wasted the money and bought a headset, therefore are willing to whale purchase VR games, or you won't have player VR in the first place.

I don't know what you're basing this assumption on...? That's a pretty broad brush there.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fooz posted:

Hip firing in VR is just soooo fun though.

I like having to actually aim. Not sure why people put that down as a negative in a VR game. :confused:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

On Terra Firma posted:

I like having to actually aim. Not sure why people put that down as a negative in a VR game. :confused:

Aiming is for the weak. Just fire enough times while hipfiring and you'll hit eventually.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just got the Titanic VR thingy and it is a game of extremes so far.
Piloting the sub in murky water and seeing the Titanic lumber into view is legit an emotional experience, it's overwhelming. Then exploring it inside a little is even more intense, it's a genuinely astonishing thing to be doing and the atmosphere is off the scale.
I'd say go get it just for this aspect because the other extreme is going back to the lab with things you find and scrubbing them in what can only be described as a Laurel and Hardy level exercise in comedy and frustration. Crusty artefacts go flying out of your hand randomly, cleaning material flings itself across the room at will and gently caress knows what I am meant to do with this old book.
What an odd mix of mind blowingly well done and ridiculously broken this thing is.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

peter gabriel posted:

Just got the Titanic VR thingy and it is a game of extremes so far.
Piloting the sub in murky water and seeing the Titanic lumber into view is legit an emotional experience, it's overwhelming. Then exploring it inside a little is even more intense, it's a genuinely astonishing thing to be doing and the atmosphere is off the scale.
I'd say go get it just for this aspect because the other extreme is going back to the lab with things you find and scrubbing them in what can only be described as a Laurel and Hardy level exercise in comedy and frustration. Crusty artefacts go flying out of your hand randomly, cleaning material flings itself across the room at will and gently caress knows what I am meant to do with this old book.
What an odd mix of mind blowingly well done and ridiculously broken this thing is.

I have a feeling they tried to turn a tech demo into a game by shoveling in the other stuff.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bethesda didn't fix a huge number of quest and game breaking glitches for the Skyrim rereleases, why would this be any different?
I didn't really follow Skyrim but Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4 all came out in November and had their final patch in the following summer. I expect something similar here.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I still think that expecting this to line up with how Bethesda Games Studios (or poor ol' Obsidian) handled past releases is a bad idea since they are only the publisher here. The actual dev is smaller and handling three VR releases with problems and is likely also committed to FO4 on PSVR next year and Skyrim on PC. Who knows how much effort they have for any patches especially on PC.

I think it is more likely they drag FO4 to a minimum acceptable state on PC (scopes and controller support I bet) and move on.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 17, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cheap Shot posted:

I have a feeling they tried to turn a tech demo into a game by shoveling in the other stuff.

They really shouldn't have bothered as the whole 'snooping around one of the most sombre places on Earth' is plenty to keep you engrossed.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

On Terra Firma posted:

standing at the 'back' of your roomscale and then teleporting next to a doorway or corner that has bad guys there is lots of fun, you can duck in and out of cover and pop away with your pistol - I don't think I've used VATS more than about twice yet.

Also after shooting a charging enemy down to nearly zero health I stepped back behind the doorframe to reload and as they came through it was still reloading - gave them a swift pistol whip to the head and they crumpled, then put a single shot downward-pointed-gat-style into their skull on the floor to make sure. Thats the sort of VR 'experience' I like :cool:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ShadowHawk posted:

I didn't really follow Skyrim but Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4 all came out in November and had their final patch in the following summer. I expect something similar here.

All those games still have tons of glitches that have been fixed by modders for years

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

On Terra Firma posted:

I haven't encountered anyone saying that hipfiring being difficult in VR is a bad thing-- where do you get that from?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

I haven't encountered anyone saying that hipfiring being difficult in VR is a bad thing-- where do you get that from?

I've seen people on reddit (ugh I know) saying that aiming is hard. Not sure if they realize guns don't come with crosshairs in the middle of your field of vision in real life or what.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Uh, if your game relies on hip firing or some other kind of inaccurate firing its going to feel pretty lovely. Guns have sights for a reason.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

rage-saq posted:

Uh, if your game relies on hip firing or some other kind of inaccurate firing its going to feel pretty lovely. Guns have sights for a reason.

Yeah, even right at the beginning with the pistol, you can easily target the radroaches just by making sure to look down the sights on the gun. I found it to be really easy to aim. I don't think I would be able to keep my hands at my waist shooting like a cowboy and hit anything.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Shoot like a badass dude

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hip firing works in two situations in VR:

1) You are good enough to reliably fire from the hip, a skill that takes time and practice and even with those taken into account you'd still probably be better off not doing that. But sometimes it is really cool, just like making GBS threads backwards over your shoulder!

2) You have a gun that puts out so much ammunition, preferably in each hand, that it doesn't loving matter and you're mostly using your eyes for situational awareness and target spotting rather than aiming anyway. This is the more fun alternative.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

But sometimes it is really cool, just like making GBS threads backwards over your shoulder!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Oh yeah I wanted to report on Fo4 that the VATS targeting ini tweak makes targeting a bit better, but nowhere near a fix. And also that you cannot stab enemies with melee weapons like knives, only slash at them :(

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

And also that you cannot stab enemies with melee weapons like knives, only slash at them :(

Literally unplayable.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

GlyphGryph posted:

1) You are good enough to reliably fire from the hip, a skill that takes time and practice and even with those taken into account you'd still probably be better off not doing that. But sometimes it is really cool, just like making GBS threads backwards over your shoulder!

The only way.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fooz posted:

Shoot like a badass dude

H3VR lets you do the spinning reload and the fan fire in both of these photos. They feel that loving cool when you do ‘em.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Fighting through the jankiness and using a ton of performance tweaks, I'm actually having a lot of fun in fo4vr. I love the missile launcher.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

H3VR lets you do the spinning reload and the fan fire in both of these photos. They feel that loving cool when you do ‘em.

Spin cocking is cool AF, but it feels weird in H3VR for some reason. It just keeps spinning like there is no gravity. I wrote my own version with hardcoded physics for SteamVR Home, and I think it feels a lot more natural.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/924245974461100032

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
How's Eve Valkyrie Warzone? It's 50% off right now and I could consider it if goons are playing it with a decent enough population.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That Italian Guy posted:

How's Eve Valkyrie Warzone? It's 50% off right now and I could consider it if goons are playing it with a decent enough population.

You can find some discussion of it in the PSVR thread, I think the verdict is it's kinda meh but possibly worth it at the sale price. There isn't much to do single player so the question is are you willing to play a game that's all PvP arenas.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

It was broke when I tried it, it didn't respond to my controller, didn't respond to oculus touch and apparently you need to accept the license agreement via keyboard before you can get anywhere.

There wasn't any obvious way to calibrate the screen (admittedly I didn't get that far before I refunded it out of frustration).

Basically it reeks of CCP being as poo poo as ever.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 17, 2017

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Eve is fine, it all plays and works just fine but there isn’t a load of content. It’s all about multiplayer really.

You use menus by looking at the option you want and pressing the A button on your pad, rather than by scrolling around, which I think is what confuses people. And the back button centres your view, or you can do it through the oculus menu. Both of those threw me for a bit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's sort of a bait and switch because the demo and first mission you see when you play it is a short single-player mission with scripted events, characters talking on the comms, ships way bigger than yours to fly around, AI squadrons fighting each other in the distance, and then a huge capital ship shows up and blows the hell out of another one with its super mega laser and it's awesome. And then the actual meat of the game is nothing like that, just endless PVP dogfighting and grinding unlocks around static asteroids and mining bases and such.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Sounds like Star Conflict

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I bought a oculus rift with touch a few days ago on a whim because I have a buddy who's been raving about it. I immediately turned around and bought some stuff to mount the sensors to my ceiling and completely reorganized my office to maximize play space. This poo poo is so exciting!

dunno if we have a goon friend thing going, but you can add me as leftover if you're so inclined.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

feverish and oversexed posted:

I bought a oculus rift with touch a few days ago on a whim because I have a buddy who's been raving about it. I immediately turned around and bought some stuff to mount the sensors to my ceiling and completely reorganized my office to maximize play space. This poo poo is so exciting!

dunno if we have a goon friend thing going, but you can add me as leftover if you're so inclined.
What were your impressions of VR before trying it? I'm a little curious about the job the media is doing covering the tech and it's hard to get an accurate read when you've already bought in, gives you tunnel vision.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I bought a Vive two days ago because it was on a pretty deep sale at microcenter. I have bachelor-padded up my living room to make space to play and have been enjoying it a lot. On a friend's recommendation I got the improved head strap as well.

The list of games in this thread's OP is very helpful. :tipshat:

So far, The Lab is my favorite little playground. I'm looking forward to remembering how to Play Elite because that is also really impressive except for when you have to read text. Also I'm enjoying shooters, like the robot quest in Rec Center and the game Onward, a lot more than I thought I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I wish there were a whole game like the Jumbotron quest in Rec Room. I just love playing it over and over - learning to dual wield is fun, having to crouch and move around to cover and the differences between guns and enemy types are all really fun.