Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
The Maquis were created specifically for Voyager, but TNG and DS9 each had to do episodes meant to introduce viewers to the whole idea of them. TNG got Journey's End and Preemptive Strike, and DS9 did The Maquis pt 1 and 2.

Then Voyager went and forgot about the whole idea of them as Voyager is wont to do with most of their plot threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MorgaineDax posted:

The Maquis were created specifically for Voyager, but TNG and DS9 each had to do episodes meant to introduce viewers to the whole idea of them. TNG got Journey's End and Preemptive Strike, and DS9 did The Maquis pt 1 and 2.

Each episode 10 times more substantial than anything Voyager ever did with the Maquis. Or maybe in general.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Holy poo poo that fadeout on ice cold Picard

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can we assume Ro Laren dies when the Dominion crush the Maquis?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm guessing I was supposed to be more sympathetic to the Maquis and Ro there, and I did feel sorry for them, but according to everything we know they could start a war that'd cost hundreds of thousands of lives and I had that in mind the whole time.

Anyway, I'm gonna watch All Good Things on Monday since that was the day of the week it aired originally.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Each episode 10 times more substantial than anything Voyager ever did with the Maquis. Or maybe in general.

The DS9 writers eventually wanted to kill them all off to start wrapping up some plot threads leading in their final seasons. Rick Berman said no because the Voyager writers were totally going to use the Maquis in future episodes, pinky swear.

*Ron Howard voice* They didn't.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

The DS9 writers eventually wanted to kill them all off to start wrapping up some plot threads leading in their final seasons. Rick Berman said no because the Voyager writers were totally going to use the Maquis in future episodes, pinky swear.

*Ron Howard voice* They didn't.

IIRC the Maquis were eventually annihilated off-screen, which is fitting since I believe most of the action with Maquis happened off-screen.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah, but they had to put in that little addendum with Sisko and Dax saying, "oh maybe they're still out there plotting," just to keep Rick Berman happy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Ro is a piece of poo poo

Ro Laren is great and I refuse to hear otherwise

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

Yeah, but they had to put in that little addendum with Sisko and Dax saying, "oh maybe they're still out there plotting," just to keep Rick Berman happy.

Those devious space immigrants.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MorgaineDax posted:

Until after DS9 ended, when Voyager made contact with the Alpha Quadrant again and were told that the Maquis were eradicated by the Dominion - dead or in Dominion POW camps.

Ro might have survived and spent the war in a labor camp, but her fate is never specifically revealed.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Ro is a piece of poo poo

*glass breaks* *John Cena theme* *motorcyle rev*

She's coming for you now, boy

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
The Maquis are totally believable and I think fit in really great in the DS9 setting but they never have the pathos they want to give them. The come across like Cliven Bundy types or West Bank settlers, not people taking a principled if possibly impractical stand.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Can we assume Ro Laren dies when the Dominion crush the Maquis?

In the extended fiction Kira becomes a Vedek and Ro takes her job at DS9

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Firebert posted:

In the extended fiction Kira becomes a Vedek and Ro takes her job at DS9

Which was the original plan for Ro anyways.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Firebert posted:

Kira becomes a Vedek

What

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

“Kira likes religion, right? What if we made her a Pope or whatever?”
“Sure, I guess.” <resumes writing yearly Borg invasion plot>

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bajorans.
The only race in the universe where their 'religion of peace' is lead by people who have killed a poo poo ton of innocents.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s not an inherently terrible place for her to go. DS9 always depicted her as very religious. She just also knows 20 ways to kill you with her bare hands.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
It's more believable than her taste in romantic partners.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Kira by the end of the show struck me as someone who wouldn’t join the clergy though, based on all the incompetence and corruption apparent under Kai Wynn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alternatively, Star Trek Online posits both Kira and Ro going on to... do nothing notable, basically. Ro is eventually freed from a POW camp, returns to find that she was dishonorably discharged from Starfleet, and goes back to Bajor in obscurity. Kira moves to Bajor full time as the senior liaison between Starfleet and the planetary government (because Cryptic can't afford Nana Visitor as a VA).

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

The Maquis are totally believable and I think fit in really great in the DS9 setting but they never have the pathos they want to give them. The come across like Cliven Bundy types or West Bank settlers, not people taking a principled if possibly impractical stand.

I think the biggest problem with the Maquis is that they show up right before the Dominion stuff starts in earnest, which is far more interesting and has a much greater story presence.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah STO is terrible, like every ship captain is Harry Kim' 3rd cousin twice removed or whatever. Standard tiny world fanfic.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Come to think of it, do we ever see people leave Starfleet as a matter of routine? The force structure can't have one admiral per ensign, can it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cythereal posted:

I think the biggest problem with the Maquis is that they show up right before the Dominion stuff starts in earnest, which is far more interesting and has a much greater story presence.
Yes, and more importantly the way they are written makes them harder to identify with.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Arglebargle III posted:

Come to think of it, do we ever see people leave Starfleet as a matter of routine? The force structure can't have one admiral per ensign, can it?

Starfleet is run like Valve. There are 4 admirals, however many starship and space station crews, and then a poo poo load of lieutenants who have been with Starfleet forever and are allowed to just work on whatever the hell they feel like and not have to actually produce results.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kira by the end of the show struck me as someone who wouldn’t join the clergy though, based on all the incompetence and corruption apparent under Kai Wynn.

It depends where the Bajoran religious establishment turns after the events of What You Leave Behind though. DS9 didn’t really do the necessary groundwork for us to judge. The pope getting seduced and then murdered by the devil could be a really big deal, or it could be covered up as a pointless assassination by a disgraced enemy. A decision to join the federation could shake the power of the church or it could strengthen it. The end of the war might signal a shift in who holds power or it might not. The show doesn’t really go into any of these things. I don’t think it’s innately unbelievable that Kira would finally lay down her arms and dedicate her life to religion especially after losing her friend and mentor in Sisko to a miraculous messianic transcendence though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MorgaineDax posted:

"oh maybe they're still out there plotting,"

Unlike the Voyager writers! :rimshot:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah STO is terrible, like every ship captain is Harry Kim' 3rd cousin twice removed or whatever. Standard tiny world fanfic.

That stuff isn't from STO, it's from the novels. STO and the novels offer completely different ideas of what happens after DS9/VOY, and STO is actually much more restrained about that kind of thing.

STO has Ro becoming an embittered ex-Starfleet ex-Maquis farmer on Bajor after spending years in a Dominion POW camp, and Kira taking a desk job on Bajor.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Arglebargle III posted:

Bones, Worf, Sisko considered it.

e: Even Picard toyed with creating ocean floor habitats.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 17, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Trickjaw posted:

Bones, Worf, Sisko considered it.

e: Even Picard toyed with creating ocean floor habitats.

Wasn't Bones retired before TMP? Hence the disco suit and the beard.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, though that's also one of the things that makes them fit into the setting in a cool way. This poo poo means a ton to them, but they're really just a source of annoyance and diplomatic tension while the real important stuff is happening elsewhere. Give a big feel to the storyworld.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Spoeank posted:

Wasn't Bones retired before TMP? Hence the disco suit and the beard.

Yeah, and so was Spock for that matter.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Ok so Worf just adopted this kid. Does he actually stick around and Worf just has to keep taking care of him for the rest of the series or what?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Windows 98 posted:

Ok so Worf just adopted this kid. Does he actually stick around and Worf just has to keep taking care of him for the rest of the series or what?

He shows up once or twice a season and even, on extremely rare occasions, in good episodes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

You'll see enough of them for them to be turned uncool

There's a few more instances of them being cool first though

i think the borg are pretty cool in TNG all the way from what i remember. its voyager that killed them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

i think the borg are pretty cool in TNG all the way from what i remember. its voyager that killed them

Descent isn't very good imo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

cheetah7071 posted:

He shows up once or twice a season and even, on extremely rare occasions, in good episodes

You're thinking of Alexander. I think Windows 98 meant Jeremy Aster.

And nope, Jeremy never shows up again.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Powered Descent posted:

You're thinking of Alexander. I think Windows 98 meant Jeremy Aster.

And nope, Jeremy never shows up again.

So are we supposed to forget it even happened? How did they get away with that haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

So are we supposed to forget it even happened? How did they get away with that haha

90’s syndication TV