Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

Also, Microsoft should really have azure ad connect run as a managed service account so the password is entirely managed by AD and the account cant be used outside of the computer and/or service its assigned to.

they added GMSA support for AADC back in april however it's only available for fresh installs (ofc it's trivial to stand up a new AADC instance in standby mode and then switch over): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/az...reated-accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
You better watch out
You better reply
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Tavis O is coming to town

He's making a list
Ain't checking it twice
Already know who's naughty and nice

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NFX posted:

You better watch out
You better reply
Better not pout
I'm telling you why

He's making a list
Ain't checking it twice
Already know who's naughty and nice

bravo!

attempt at the bridge:

he knows when your poo poo's lacking
he knows when you're okay
he knows what the walls of fire should
so just please dont try to fake

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

pseudorandom name posted:

Chrome Sync browser history used to be excluded from this, they announced the reversal of this policy fairly recently and then proceeded to make the explanation on https://privacy.google.com (which isn't actually their privacy policy) and the configuration preferences controlling this on https://accounts.google.com as misleading as possible.

okay but i still dont find it surprising. dont login to google if you dont want to be explicitly tracked. good luck not being tracked in general though.

not saying this is a good thing, so you know. just that its been how google operates since they became an ad network.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

they added GMSA support for AADC back in april however it's only available for fresh installs (ofc it's trivial to stand up a new AADC instance in standby mode and then switch over): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/az...reated-accounts

oh cool. coincidentally I have to move my aadc install to a different server so this is gr8

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao at Microsoft passing the development of a product that syncs passwords and has the ability to change any users password to a $7.25/hr intern

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

should we remove some unneeded permissions for this account that literally has access to every user account/password in the entire domain?

nah gently caress it just make it an enterprise admin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao at Microsoft passing the development of a product that syncs passwords and has the ability to change any users password to a $7.25/hr intern

what are you talking about

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

what are you talking about
active directory, apparently

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

when I was an intern at Dassault Systèmes I made $19:hr so I feel bad for MS interns

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

i'm trying to remember if chrome or internet explorer/edge has ever hosed with their users to the extent that firefox has and i'm not coming up with any evidence.

the internet explorer team shipped internet explorer, which is morally repugnant

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the internet explorer team shipped internet explorer, which is morally repugnant

ActiveX

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

i'm trying to remember if chrome or internet explorer/edge has ever hosed with their users to the extent that firefox has and i'm not coming up with any evidence. like the worst thing chrome's done in recent memory was block flash and java but those were both announced pretty far ahead of time and actually good for their userbase, and not things like changing everyone's default search engine to yahoo because yahoo gave them money to do it

IE and Edge are just browsers.

chome is spyware but its never claimed to be anything else.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they didn't directly include anything, but it had so many security holes that for many people it ended up looking like this after 5 minutes:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The_Franz posted:

they didn't directly include anything, but it had so many security holes that for many people it ended up looking like this after 5 minutes:

That's not security holes idiot

That's what people actively wanted to install

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

fishmech posted:

ah, yes, mywebsearch, the classic toolbar that everyone had because they wanted it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The_Franz posted:

im the two different toolbars with popswatter

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
half of them probably showed up after several java updates & forgetting to uncheck some box during install

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fishmech posted:

yeah, if that's your bar, chrome and firefox are just as bad. see: every search hijacking page intercepting free games/maps/tv addon ever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

im the two different toolbars with popswatter
there are at least seven different visible popup blockers in that screenshot

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The_Franz posted:

your picture doesn't have bonzi buddy so i don't believe you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The_Franz posted:

those are all installed by the user and not security holes. its not surprising that failfox and chome defenders don't understand it though. their browsers come with the spyware pre-installed where IE users had to seek it out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

there are at least seven different visible popup blockers in that screenshot

Eight. With a *maybe* on nine.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

those are all installed by the user and not security holes. its not surprising that failfox and chome defenders don't understand it though. their browsers come with the spyware pre-installed where IE users had to seek it out.

very often this garbage was installed by the user in the sense that your average person didn't scroll to the bottom of the popup dialog (which often opened itself via a security hole) and did the specific steps required to prevent their "free browser enhancements" from being installed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's not even remotely true. they were always installed as part of kazaa+++ or CCCP codec pack or other garbage

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sniep posted:

ah, yes, mywebsearch, the classic toolbar that everyone had because they wanted it

There are a ton of idiots out there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s 1000% true. you can find videos of people doing it in user research labs right after being warned not to.

the smiley packs were my favourites

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

that's not even remotely true. they were always installed as part of kazaa+++ or CCCP codec pack or other garbage

lol no

back in the ie6 days in particular tons of malware installed itself via browser exploits along with any other crapware that paid the malware company to go along for the ride

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"I don't know how it got installed I didnt click on anything" - everyone's parents in that era and apparently you too

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The_Franz posted:

lol no

back in the ie6 days in particular tons of malware installed itself via browser exploits along with any other crapware that paid the malware company to go along for the ride

Mashing the shiny install button is not a browser exploit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
more of a user exploit really

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

but i've got the norton

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

"I don't know how it got installed I didnt click on anything" - everyone's parents in that era and apparently you too

the document on this phenomenon is likely even findable from Edge

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

getting shaggar fishmech tag teamed itt

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Subjunctive posted:

the document on this phenomenon is likely even findable from Edge

you got a link to this doc please

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

you don't have a lastmeasure mirror?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rufus Ping posted:

Xupiter was one of the classic ones, and automatic for people with low security settings (as routinely pushed by various sites). https://www.wired.com/2003/01/sneaky-toolbar-hijacks-browsers/

I can’t find a reference on my phone for toolbar installation, but the shortcut parsing bug was used by a lot of malware to install in IE6. Malware would then collect the installation bounties for a dozen bullshit toolbars. https://www.computerworld.com/article/2519452/security0/microsoft-warns-of-windows-shortcut-drive-by-attacks.html

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

getting shaggar fishmech tag teamed itt

This

I also definitely remember toolbars being a malware linked phenomenon in the before times

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
A computer is the only tool that actively orders its users to do detrimental things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

A computer is the only tool that actively orders its users to do detrimental things

Car

• Locked thread