Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
But I love football (Michigan & Lions), hockey (Red Wings), basketball (Michigan & Pistons) AND baseball (Tigers)!

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gonz posted:

But I love football (Michigan & Lions), hockey (Red Wings), basketball (Michigan & Pistons) AND baseball (Tigers)!

sports rule

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

actually, they're bad

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
football sucks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao

https://twitter.com/greggabe/status/942185028750139392

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/MattSpiegel670/status/942177789167403009

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Whaaat the gently caress? That is some grade A delusion. gently caress that guy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

You can like it, just people who prefer it over the NBA are suspect. Especially Wings fans who are indignant about sharing an arena with the Pistons.

Really three out of four major American sports have different breeds of horrible fan. Basketball’s worst are just regular hipster guys.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Anyone who identifies themselves as a fan of one particular sport over another is the worst

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Anyone who identifies themselves as a fan of one particular sport over another is the worst

gordon hayward broke his own leg to play more esports, thats how dedicated he is to loving esports more than basketball

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I saw on ESPN.com yesterday that Prater has moved into 44th all time scoring after yesterday. which is weirdly low to even mention at all

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The Warriors are cool but lol at ever watching basketball over literally any football game ever

Detroit_Dogg posted:

lol

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Basketball is cool. Go Spurs.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

You can like it, just people who prefer it over the NBA are suspect. Especially Wings fans who are indignant about sharing an arena with the Pistons.

Really three out of four major American sports have different breeds of horrible fan. Basketball’s worst are just regular hipster guys.

The NBA regular season is objectively bad, with more being tied to off-court drama than the actual sport. It seems to be the sport of choice for people who don't actually follow sports. The NBA, product-wise, doesn't really matter until the playoffs, if you're inherently rooting for championships and things like that. There's only a handful of teams that could win a championship in any given year.

The NHL is so much better in that regard, and games are close enough that every game can swing momentum quickly.

Plus, better teams, more balanced teams, all of that.

Hockey is just an inherently better game. I guess part of the reason it hasn't grown as it should is racist attitudes like yours.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 17, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

The NBA regular season is objectively bad, with more being tied to off-court drama than the actual sport. It seems to be the sport of choice for people who don't actually follow sports.

Most people who follow the NBA are into sports. Baseball in my experience is the sport for non-sports fans, because it’s so casual.

quote:

The NBA, product-wise, doesn't really matter until the playoffs, if you're inherently rooting for championships and things like that.

This is every sport except football because the seasons are long as hell.

quote:

There's only a handful of teams that could win a championship in any given year.

This is every sport, period. It is really hard to be a championship caliber team! You are a college football fan and should know this! Basketball just has the least parity because teams are so small and individuals have more control. Football has a ton of variability and a single elimination tournament but the AFC still sends the Patriots the Super Bowl half the time. I don’t know why hockey playoffs are so chaotic but even with the occasional 8 seed winning the Cup it’s far from immune to dynastic franchises.

If you are watching a league just to see who wins the title then you are loving bad at watching sports in general (again something a CFB fan should be aware of and a Lions fan should be extra aware of).

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm a Bucks and Brewers fan but I only watch basketball and baseball to see championships huRRRRRR

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

quote:

This is every sport, period. It is really hard to be a championship caliber team! You are a college football fan and should know this! Basketball just has the least parity because teams are so small and individuals have more control. Football has a ton of variability and a single elimination tournament but the AFC still sends the Patriots the Super Bowl half the time. I don’t know why hockey playoffs are so chaotic but even with the occasional 8 seed winning the Cup it’s far from immune to dynastic franchises.

At the end of the day, there is more inherent variability and strategy in hockey and football. Hockey hasn't had a true (3+ championships in a row) since 1983. Hockey hasn't had a team consistently play in the Stanley Cup Finals since Wayne Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers 30 years ago. Even the Red Wings' best years were 1995-98, in terms of playoff success (conference championship, conference finals, Stanley Cup, Stanley Cup).

The AFC sends the Patriots to the Super Bowl lots of the time because they have an all-time great QB and coach, and the strategy and creativity is there to win close games. Even then, the Patriots aren't guaranteed to win every Super Bowl they play in! Meanwhile, in the power vacuum of the NFC, I've seen every team but the Lions and Vikings play in a Super Bowl. Every team since the Lions in the 1992 NFC title game have played in at least one title game.

Meanwhile, LeBron James has won seven straight conference championships, and only really loses when his team beats themselves.

It is interesting to see how teams use talent and strategies to win! It's why the Stanley Cup playoffs are more fun than the NBA: a team can play a strategy of Hot Goalie and actually have that work. Teams can have different ways to win, and seeing them play out is great for two months.

What isn't great is a sport that essentially comes down to rock, paper, scissors, and the only option is to throw rock, and try to have the biggest rock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

At the end of the day, there is more inherent variability and strategy in hockey and football. Hockey hasn't had a true (3+ championships in a row) since 1983. Hockey hasn't had a team consistently play in the Stanley Cup Finals since Wayne Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers 30 years ago. Even the Red Wings' best years were 1995-98, in terms of playoff success (conference championship, conference finals, Stanley Cup, Stanley Cup).

The AFC sends the Patriots to the Super Bowl lots of the time because they have an all-time great QB and coach, and the strategy and creativity is there to win close games. Even then, the Patriots aren't guaranteed to win every Super Bowl they play in! Meanwhile, in the power vacuum of the NFC, I've seen every team but the Lions and Vikings play in a Super Bowl. Every team since the Lions in the 1992 NFC title game have played in at least one title game.

Meanwhile, LeBron James has won seven straight conference championships, and only really loses when his team beats themselves.

It is interesting to see how teams use talent and strategies to win! It's why the Stanley Cup playoffs are more fun than the NBA: a team can play a strategy of Hot Goalie and actually have that work. Teams can have different ways to win, and seeing them play out is great for two months.

What isn't great is a sport that essentially comes down to rock, paper, scissors, and the only option is to throw rock, and try to have the biggest rock.

There’s tons of strategy in basketball—you just have to know where to look. The Warriors didn’t know they had championship pieces until they hired a coach who knew how to work with their personnel.

It really just comes down to how much interest you have in the sport itself. Your NBA complaints sound like my baseball complaints (minus championship parity, which again is not a great reason to watch), and I’m sure my attempts to explain basketball strategy would sound to you like baseball fans explaining the importance of middle relieving. We can complain about low stakes all we want but we are both fans of one of the worst sports franchises of all time and watch Big Ten nooners so it’s silly to act like they’re exclusive to sports we don’t like.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

saying there's no strategy in basketball because of who is winning championships is a bit silly especially when you consider the historic success the Spurs have had through team building and on court adjustments. also abloo bloo the best player in the history of the sport keeps making the finals.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

I don’t know what you’re laughing at

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LeBron James is the either the best, second or third best player to ever play the sport. He is an anomaly.

He can score however he wants, is a willing passer, and can defend 1-5.

He would be like a QB who is also an elite pass rusher in terms of value

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 17, 2017

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

At the end of the day, there is more inherent variability and strategy in hockey and football. Hockey hasn't had a true (3+ championships in a row) since 1983. Hockey hasn't had a team consistently play in the Stanley Cup Finals since Wayne Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers 30 years ago. Even the Red Wings' best years were 1995-98, in terms of playoff success (conference championship, conference finals, Stanley Cup, Stanley Cup). [...]

"variability and strategy in hockey" = both teams take turns shooting, the team with the best luck on deflections wins

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

. Teams can have different ways to win, and seeing them play out is great for two months.

The first part is true with all sports

The second part is false with all sports

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hockey doesn't enforce its own rules, which reduces the impact skill has on the game and reduces offense. It would be like if football stopped calling holding and pass interference or basketball let defenders do whatever.

The goaltender is also one of the great equalizers in sports. You see an 8 seed make a run, good chance a goalie is standing on his head.

I remember 97 when Dallas was a better team than the Oilers in every way but goaltending. Cujo stole the series.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
LeBron doesn’t tip well and his social media presence is horrific, discuss

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Detroit_Dogg posted:

LeBron doesn’t tip well and his social media presence is horrific, discuss

You know who is one of the greatest tippers of all time is? Wayne Gretzky.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Also we are now one week closer to aaron Rodgers beating the lions in week 17 to make the playoffs

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Also we are now one week closer to aaron Rodgers beating the lions in week 17 to make the playoffs

The good news is our 0-3 record against the good NFC South teams means we wouldn't make it anyway

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Danny LaFever posted:

Hockey doesn't enforce its own rules, which reduces the impact skill has on the game and reduces offense. It would be like if football stopped calling holding and pass interference or basketball let defenders do whatever.

The goaltender is also one of the great equalizers in sports. You see an 8 seed make a run, good chance a goalie is standing on his head.

I remember 97 when Dallas was a better team than the Oilers in every way but goaltending. Cujo stole the series.

also, the 2003 Ducks rode JS Giguere to nearly winning the Stanley Cup against the Devils

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think one of the biggest things about hockey vs basketball is hockey's overall lack of household name players. Everyone in the 80s and 90s knew who Wayne Gretzky was. Now, maybe you got Sidney Crosby, Alex Oveckin, PK Subban, Jagr, and Connor McDavid as potential household names, and even then, only within the hockey community. Everyone knows who LeBron is. Everyone knows Durant decided to go to the Warriors.

Danny LaFever posted:

Re: rules: We had a ref posting in the NHL N/V thread (not an NHL one but a lower league one) who said that the refs every year get instructions on what penalties to go hard on and what ones to be looser on. This year it's "slashes to the hands" (which happened after Crosby broke someone's finger) and "face off infractions" (two faults and you're taking a two minute timeout). Though I find it disingenuous that you'd compare hockey non-calls to football to that when there's also a lot of uncalled penalties. Look at an aftermath thread sometime, you might see people complaining about it (though the basketball comparison is fair).

Re: goaltending: Pens won their last cup on MAF being hot as gently caress and by the time he cooled off Murray was all ready to return to the net.

Also, the NHL owners are by and large the worst owners in NA sports. That I won't deny ever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iospace posted:

I think one of the biggest things about hockey vs basketball is hockey's overall lack of household name players. Everyone in the 80s and 90s knew who Wayne Gretzky was. Now, maybe you got Sidney Crosby, Alex Oveckin, PK Subban, Jagr, and Connor McDavid as potential household names, and even then, only within the hockey community. Everyone knows who LeBron is. Everyone knows Durant decided to go to the Warriors.

I'm guessing this is mostly a by-product of the NHL's atrocious TV deal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm guessing this is mostly a by-product of the NHL's atrocious TV deal.

NBC usually shows 3-4 games a week once the NFL is over (1-2 Tuesday, usually 1 on Wednesday MAYBE 2, and one on Sunday). A lot of the games are broadcast on RSNs similar to basketball, so I don't think it's that.

The big problem is this: ESPN rarely if ever covers the NHL, even in the middle of the playoffs, not sure if that's a byproduct of them no longer broadcasting games or realizing that basketball is more lucrative (or some other factor). I'm sure FS1 is the same. Not helping the cause is this though: any personality in a hockey player is attempted to be stamped out. Look at what the press did to PK. Big personality, and they went after him for it (among other reasons which we won't get into, but it's obvious if you know who PK is). Ends up getting traded for a guy on probably the worst contract of all time 1 for 1. It's like if the Seahawks decided to trade RW for Aaron at this point of their careers. You'll get some good years out of Aaron, but GB will get more years out of RW.

Baseball is the same way with big personalities. Football and basketball has embraced them, especially basketball. Could you imagine Shaq as a baseball player? I can't, because they'd try to restrain him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iospace posted:

NBC usually shows 3-4 games a week once the NFL is over (1-2 Tuesday, usually 1 on Wednesday MAYBE 2, and one on Sunday). A lot of the games are broadcast on RSNs similar to basketball, so I don't think it's that.

The big problem is this: ESPN rarely if ever covers the NHL, even in the middle of the playoffs, not sure if that's a byproduct of them no longer broadcasting games or realizing that basketball is more lucrative (or some other factor). I'm sure FS1 is the same. Not helping the cause is this though: any personality in a hockey player is attempted to be stamped out. Look at what the press did to PK. Big personality, and they went after him for it (among other reasons which we won't get into, but it's obvious if you know who PK is). Ends up getting traded for a guy on probably the worst contract of all time 1 for 1. It's like if the Seahawks decided to trade RW for Aaron at this point of their careers. You'll get some good years out of Aaron, but GB will get more years out of RW.

Baseball is the same way with big personalities. Football and basketball has embraced them, especially basketball. Could you imagine Shaq as a baseball player? I can't, because they'd try to restrain him.

Baseball writers definitely want to stamp out big personalities but I think guys like Puig and Bryce Harper are resonating more with young people and the league will eventually figure out that that's a good thing. But I could be wrong--I don't really follow the sport at all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Baseball writers definitely want to stamp out big personalities but I think guys like Puig and Bryce Harper are resonating more with young people and the league will eventually figure out that that's a good thing. But I could be wrong--I don't really follow the sport at all.

Harper, to my observation, gets no where near the heat that Puig does. I wonder why.

Also, I had a customer at my work bitch about Jackie Robinson day. You can guess who she voted for.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

iospace posted:

Everyone knows who LeBron is. Everyone knows Durant decided to go to the Warriors.

I'd give you LeBron, but tons of sports fans would struggle to name a second active NBA player never mind the general public. Of course they'd struggle to name a single hockey player that hasn't been retired for ten years too so your point stands. I just think it's even more severe.

It's a weird world we live in where sports are becoming increasingly niche while you hear people talking about Jeff Sessions, Paul Manafort and Chuck Schumer in line at the grocery store.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not sure Trubisky will be good.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Dare I say we bring Hundley in?

Edit: poo poo, wrong thread.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I might take a year off from watching this team until Capers is gone. I just can’t stand the 3rd and 7+ where they play an absurdly soft zone and give up 11+ every single time. It’s really uncanny.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teddy got to play :unsmith:

(please ignore his first pass being a pick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I might take a year off from watching this team until Capers is gone. I just can’t stand the 3rd and 7+ where they play an absurdly soft zone and give up 11+ every single time. It’s really uncanny.

Not a bad idea. Might be a couple years though.

• Locked thread