Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arven
Sep 23, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly wouldn't be the worst way to wring a bit more civility out of the Internet. Terrible in other ways and generally impractical though.

For as many people who people already post vitriolic poo poo under their real names on facebook and twitter with no shame, I think unmasking the people who hide behind an alias wouldn't stop their posting and just polarize everything further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Arven posted:

For as many people who people already post vitriolic poo poo under their real names on facebook and twitter with no shame, I think unmasking the people who hide behind an alias wouldn't stop their posting and just polarize everything further.

Spoiler alert: They're all russian

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well if we didn't live in a theocratic poo poo hole where gullible idiots are given their thoughts to think as soon as you use the right phrase (in this case 'ZOMG MARK OF THE BEASST RAAAAAAAAH) we could probably have a national identification number that wasn't tied to your financial information and it wouldn't be as bad to use it for ID purposes but hey what the gently caress do I know I'm just a snowflake liberal commie.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i'm okay with there not being a registry for people who want to use social media.

just end social media. it cuts out the ethical gray area of such a registry.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Mueller literally just asked the GSA in a letter "hey can we have all the transition emails?" and GSA said "sure!"

Wherein Trump’s team learns the lesson that every college student learns when they first start smoking weed: you don’t get to claim the police’s searches and seizures are unlawful when you voluntarily gave consent to search and they found your stash.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Identity theft would be a nonissue if you could just pick up an RSA keypair with your drivers license but good loving luck training the public on that or keeping the "zomg mark of the beast" crowd from shooting you

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shame on an IGA posted:

Identity theft would be a nonissue if you could just pick up an RSA keypair with your drivers license but good loving luck training the public on that or keeping the "zomg mark of the beast" crowd from shooting you

We examined this for a group project in marketing. People are going to severely underestimate their risk due to heuristics. In the face of complexity and lacking technical depth they will just shut down and assume McCaffery and Kaspersky will be good enough to protect them because of the label.

This applies to everything, people will listen to their trusted source for information (Fox News) and accept it as truth due to the complexity involved.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bruce "the human meerkat" Schneier wrote a book about that. We can technically be killed by anyone walking by us on the street (or even more so, driving by us), but by trusting them not to, we can all cooperate more easily and get much more done as a society. But the more trusting and trustworthy a society is, the more advantage goes to the rarer untrustworthy people. Or news networks.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Joing CIA/FSB op prevents ISIS attack

the Cynic in me wonders why Putin didn't want the political capital to spend.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Doc Hawkins posted:

Bruce "the human meerkat" Schneier wrote a book about that. We can technically be killed by anyone walking by us on the street (or even more so, driving by us), but by trusting them not to, we can all cooperate more easily and get much more done as a society. But the more trusting and trustworthy a society is, the more advantage goes to the rarer untrustworthy people. Or news networks.

That's a different aspect concerning, I think, game theory. We were trying to figure out how to sell cybersecurity to the masses. Turns out its really hard to overcome such a wall of ignorance.

The aspect I was looking at was the work done by Kahneman and Tversky. Michael Lewis' latest book is about them if you want the simple version, or read Thinking Fast and Slow by Kahneman.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

After years of working in this industry I can tell you that selling people on cybersecurity is like selling people on improving their health to prevent type II diabetes. They're all about it until you tell them they have to make a change.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I recently caught my dad trying to "synchronize" all of his passwords, logins and whatnot between his phone, tablet, and PC.

This isn't something that i'd feel comfortable with, but hell, there are apparently programs that make poo poo like that a little less blatantly negligent than it is.
But of course, he wasn't using a password database.

He was using Wunderlist.

He said it was safe, because he "hid" the icon for the app on his phone, so any phone thief wouldn't "find" the app. :downs:

There are hundreds of millions of folks like my old man out there.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I learned I can compromise my companies network by leaving a USB drive with the words "DANK memes" taped on it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I recently caught my dad trying to "synchronize" all of his passwords, logins and whatnot between his phone, tablet, and PC.

This isn't something that i'd feel comfortable with, but hell, there are apparently programs that make poo poo like that a little less blatantly negligent than it is.
But of course, he wasn't using a password database.

He was using Wunderlist.

He said it was safe, because he "hid" the icon for the app on his phone, so any phone thief wouldn't "find" the app. :downs:

There are hundreds of millions of folks like my old man out there.

Using something like this with 2 factor authentication is perfectly fine. Having to manage too many individual passwords means you're likely to reuse the same password and make it too simplistic.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/942427971935014912

Corker changed his vote on the bill cause he would pay less taxes with the new changes lol they aren't even hiding it anymore. gently caress you to the guy who was defending billionaires for whatever reason.

Mo money mo problems - drake

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mo money mo problems was puffy & co.

gently caress billionaires, gently caress republicans, gently caress this gay earth with a nork nuke in every volcano.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

On a related note about billionaires doing whatever they loving please, the DEA had enough evidence to nail McKesson, the country’s biggest pharmacy company with $200 billion in annual revenue, for ignoring and abetting blatantly illegal content at some of its warehouses and distribution centers. This includes not flagging repeat huge orders of Vicodin to small-rear end pharmacies and trying to cover its tracks. In the end, the company’s lawyers settled with the DEA and DOJ for a fraction of the $1 billion fine that government lawyers had been angling for.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/mckesson-dea-opioids-fine/2017/12/14/ab50ad0e-db5b-11e7-b1a8-62589434a581_story.html

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

psydude posted:

Using something like this with 2 factor authentication is perfectly fine. Having to manage too many individual passwords means you're likely to reuse the same password and make it too simplistic.

The whole keychain slash password generator is an interesting intersection. On one hand as long as your keychain (my phone in this case) isn't compromised then the increased security from unique randomly-generated strings with solid criteria is huge. On the other hand, someone cracks your phone and you're hosed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The whole keychain slash password generator is an interesting intersection. On one hand as long as your keychain (my phone in this case) isn't compromised then the increased security from unique randomly-generated strings with solid criteria is huge. On the other hand, someone cracks your phone and you're hosed.

The buttcoin thread has a plethora of useful information on how to secure yourself in this situation. It starts at epoxying network ports and goes downhill from there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Well it's impossible to entirely eliminate the possibility, I agree. In the sense of risk, however, it's far less likely that someone cracks your phone/keychain than it is that someone steals a password from one website/application which you also use elsewhere.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I use KeepAss for passwords and it works for me. hope you enjoyed that story

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
How full of bullshit was the Trump lawyer letter to Congress?

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/942476857877893120

Trey Gowdy won't loving touch it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
tfw when you write a letter so dumb even Trey loving Gowdy won't touch it

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Gonna probably suck some dicks you gently caress men

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
John McCain is probably dying. I mean, we all knew that, but I think he got some bad news if he isn't even going to vote on the tax plan.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/942485805418807298

Edit: https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/942490852898820096

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 17, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

man that judge got owned so hard

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mark Hamill dunking on Zodiac Killer is wonderful

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/942475067224571904

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mo money mo problems was puffy & co.

gently caress billionaires, gently caress republicans, gently caress this gay earth with a nork nuke in every volcano.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"see ya 'round, kid"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Trump just said he won't fire Mueller.

Countdown until he fires Mueller...

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's not necessarily the kiss of death, though...Does he have full confidence in Mueller?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tillerson hasn't bit the dust yet either...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So, the FBI agents texting about hillary all the time, that the right wing media machine have been playing up as their pretext for firing Mueller, were actually using "Hillary's Emails" as their code phrase for loving each other.

:psypop:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.120ee199427f

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

So, the FBI agents texting about hillary all the time, that the right wing media machine have been playing up as their pretext for firing Mueller, were actually using "Hillary's Emails" as their code phrase for loving each other.

deepstate

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

shame on an IGA posted:

lol loving perfect.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Someone should be asking tuba if he's gonna have rosenstein fired.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

lol loving perfect.

If it had been perfect we wouldn't be hearing about it. :engleft:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

These people deserve a Dirty-Talk Ignobel.

:heysexy: BUT HER EMAILS :heysexy:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Doc Hawkins posted:

If it had been perfect we wouldn't be hearing about it. :engleft:

there are different kinds of perfect, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

He’s not going to fire Mueller, he’s going to fire DoJ officials until he finds one who will.

Saturday Night Massacre speed-run confirmed.

• Locked thread