Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He initially delayed the launch because of technical difficulties (the RV which he bought off Craiglist and remodelled as a launch vehicle broke down in his driveway) and then when he got to the launch site and started setting up the Bureau of Land Management turned up and went "Uh hey all your stuff is on our property and there's no loving way we're letting you do this dumbass stunt here so gently caress off somewhere else." So then Mike decided to do the stunt on a friend's private property so they packed everything up and hauled it over there and started setting up again and a week later they were almost ready to launch when the Bureau guys turned up again and went "Heyyy you're still on our property, you're 150 feet short of your friend's land so gently caress off" so Mike and his crew packed it all up again and tried to move 200' over but the ground was too sandy for his RV to drive over it so they gave up and decided to go back to the original site and try and talk the Bureau into letting them launch there. (Spoiler: the Bureau is going to say no again.) While they were driving back the rocket fell off the back of the RV and got damaged so Mike decided to take it home.

It looks like he's going to try and do the launch on Super Bowl Sunday now.

at this point he'd be better off just shooting himself out of a cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Star Citizen could maybe be good if it was like a 3D Space Station 13. Even then, it would actually need to release a game for that to happen.

They already have that game in early access and it didn't take millions of dollars and years to do.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What even is the core-gameplay loop of Star Citzen anyway?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I *think* it's supposed to be a Wing Commander MMO or something.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

get excited -> buy starship -> wait, get angry -> new blog post gives excuses why it isnt out but promises its going to be awesome -> goto start.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It feels like a competitor to EVE Online and Dust 514 by combining both games and everything they want to do into a single platform, so instead of having a separate game with ground combat (that in turn gets shut down because nobody plays it) you have one game where you can fly around blowing up spaceships and trading on stations and then you can fly down to the planet and get out to explore the surface.

Right now they have the absolute bare bones of both systems with basically nothing of consequence and a million and one bugs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

10: Person Gives them money
20: They promise them Pixels
30: Person gives them more money
40: The promise them shinier pixels
50: Goto 30

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dust 514 was neat, but you didn't get XP fast enough because they wanted you to buy poo poo

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

chitoryu12 posted:

It feels like a competitor to EVE Online and Dust 514 by combining both games and everything they want to do into a single platform, so instead of having a separate game with ground combat (that in turn gets shut down because nobody plays it) you have one game where you can fly around blowing up spaceships and trading on stations and then you can fly down to the planet and get out to explore the surface.

Right now they have the absolute bare bones of both systems with basically nothing of consequence and a million and one bugs.

Basically this. It's an extremely ambitious game and the developers just aren't up to the task and the people running it seem to be douchenozzles so it's sad that that money didn't go to better people who could pull something off, even if it wasn't to this scale.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

He's also a SovCit and tried to lodge legal papers claiming he owns OJ Simpson

This will probably be the most :wtc: thing I read all day.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Garrand posted:

Basically this. It's an extremely ambitious game and the developers just aren't up to the task and the people running it seem to be douchenozzles so it's sad that that money didn't go to better people who could pull something off, even if it wasn't to this scale.

It's not even ambitious in a sane way. It's like someone put a group of 20 people all with competing ideas on what "immersion" together and wrote everything down with no editing. So you end up with a game that has promised everything from space and fps combat to piracy to ships with dozens of crew to base building to running a news agency to farming to bartending drink mixing minigames in order to make the passengers on your luxury space liner happy.... and so on.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

SiKboy posted:

get excited -> buy starship -> wait, get angry -> new blog post gives excuses why it isnt out but promises its going to be awesome -> goto start.

I could have sworn there was a goto fail somewhere in there.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Gromit posted:

"Fixing stuff", "planning routes" - oh yeah, that all sounds like a real blast.

That's why some of your crew should be German.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Star Citizen is a case study in Feature Creep, licensing issues aside. I won't lie, I threw some money at it, 60 or so bucks, with the justification "Most AAA and AA games cost about that much, so it's a pre-order. If it comes out and it's awesome, ok, I can play a game that's cool. If it sucks, oh well. You get games like that sometimes. Hell, I haven't finished Skyrim yet and I paid that much for it (for what it's worth, it's a good game, I get sidetracked and lose interest)."

Then I watched it balloon into a mess that was obvious apart from those deep into the sunken cost fallacy that it would never be made in the way they wished it would be. They throw more money at the problem thinking it will fix it, but in reality, it's a bloated piece of poo poo that won't improve no matter how much cash you throw at it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Every twist and turn of the Star Citizen saga is hot schadenfreude. Whenever citizens encounter a development of the story that doesn't fit their worldview they spin the most fantastic fantasies that position themselves as experts who see through everything and it only proves them right. This week for instance, they're all expert contract lawyers who have concluded that Crytek's lawsuit is a mere money-grab that can be dismissed.

When you see this magic trick in real time, it's breathtaking.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Geocities Homepage King posted:

It's not even ambitious in a sane way. It's like someone put a group of 20 people all with competing ideas on what "immersion" together and wrote everything down with no editing. So you end up with a game that has promised everything from space and fps combat to piracy to ships with dozens of crew to base building to running a news agency to farming to bartending drink mixing minigames in order to make the passengers on your luxury space liner happy.... and so on.

And, as ridiculous as all of the things you mentioned being in the same game seem, they are only about 1% of what was promised.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Someone should tell him that when he leaves the ground he temporarily loses his SovCit powers, like the guy in Greek mythology or the bible or whatever.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
When people talk about multicrew being fun, they're thinking of something like Guns of Icarus Online where you are split between gunners, engineers and the pilot, only in that game its fun because as soon as you fight another ship all hell breaks loose and you have too many fires, too many targets and not enough people or time. Also its a very small scale arena game where the only time you aren't fighting is when you are approaching the enemy and it was designed from day 1 with multiple crew members being its core mechanic.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

What I don't get about Flat Earth Rocketman is that he's hoping to hit, what, 1600 feet or so in order to see if the Earth curves?

Even a dinky Cessna 172 can hit five to ten thousand feet. Why doesn't he just...use one of those? :psyduck:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

thats some bullshit. Not a single clown in the trailer.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Polaron posted:

What I don't get about Flat Earth Rocketman is that he's hoping to hit, what, 1600 feet or so in order to see if the Earth curves?

Even a dinky Cessna 172 can hit five to ten thousand feet. Why doesn't he just...use one of those? :psyduck:

Or just go on a hot air balloon, though I've probably missed whatever flat earth conspiracy explanation makes the flat earth appear to be round when using one of them.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

We must go deeper (i think thats the name of the game) is sort of like that. 4 people on a submarine. 1 drives, 1 sets power, 1 gunner, 1 guy arms the torpedos. Then once you get boarded you might have 2 guys kill stuff in ship while the other 2 try to kill the whale or whatever it is that is still attacking.The of course repair the hull so you dont all drown.

My son watches youtubers play it. It seems to be fun. So it is possible.

Not that SC will ever manage it.

You know, that's a Goon game, right?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

In Team Fortress 2 and Tribes I always like playing the engineer roles where you run around building defenses and repairing guns. It can be done well.

My old Tribes ID was EngineerPrime. One guess how I spent my time... It was nice you could carry the sniper rifle on top of the standard engineer kit.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I loved the time there was a streamed shirts/skins deathmatch game and half of them died when they got to the spot by leaving the ship (yes, Virginia, leaving certain ships CAN be lethal). And, since you ALWAYS respawn back at Port Olisar (the main base) the survivors had to wait around for another ship to carry the dead back. Then it was all Team Uninspired FPS Clone!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nfl_memes/status/942421969940729857

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Best of all is that SO much of the "immersive" elements like getting out of bed, and climbing ladders will be seriously vomit-inducing in VR, yet, according to CIG/RSI/WTF, VR is just "flipping a switch".

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Dec 17, 2017

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Polaron posted:

I think someone in this very thread mentioned that he hopped on the Flat Earth bandwagon mostly to get donations from other Flat Earthers to fund his crazy rocket.

In which case, more power to him. :patriot:

Dude's still going to get parboiled in a steam explosion.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/LacesOutShow/status/942434664374992896

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Someone should tell him that when he leaves the ground he temporarily loses his SovCit powers, like the guy in Greek mythology or the bible or whatever.

Antaeus - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antaeus . No idea why I knew that off the top of my head.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Brian_1_Kelly/status/942445217050972160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fantastic Flyer posted:

No surprise SovCits want to own black people.

lol early stories I read online had the bureau shortened to just BLM and I thought what do these guys care if whitey here boils himself in his rocket without spices?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

funmanguy posted:

thats some bullshit. Not a single clown in the trailer.

Yeah, I feel like the key behind SS13 is everything that isn’t building and maintaining a space station. You’ve got security (with jails and everything necessary for a trial with lawyers and a judge), a bar with a fully functioning kitchen, botany growing food and drugs in equal measure, lounges and beds, etc.

Running around dark corridors without atmosphere chasing aliens is fun, but so is the clown throwing pies at a piano player in the bar or playing laser tag or boxing in the crew quarters as people bet on the results before half the station gets swallowed by a miniature black hole. Sometimes I’ll even just get bored of a session or need to do something else and have my character sleep in the crew quarters instead of going brain dead.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bills fans are always a treasure

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A guy just jumped off an RV, onto a table, landed face first onto the ground and isn't moving. Better pour a beer all over him and make sure to move him as much as possible, especially the head and neck.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

muscles like this! posted:

A guy just jumped off an RV, onto a table, landed face first onto the ground and isn't moving. Better pour a beer all over him and make sure to move him as much as possible, especially the head and neck.

He would have wanted it this way

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Nuevo posted:

I think someone in this very thread mentioned that he hopped on the Flat Earth bandwagon mostly to get donations from other Flat Earthers to fund his crazy rocket.

In which case, more power to him. :patriot:

Dude's still going to get parboiled in a steam explosion.

Anyone mention live-action Kerbal Space Program yet?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/Pvc6nKG.mp4

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

He initially delayed the launch because of technical difficulties (the RV which he bought off Craiglist and remodelled as a launch vehicle broke down in his driveway) and then when he got to the launch site and started setting up the Bureau of Land Management turned up and went "Uh hey all your stuff is on our property and there's no loving way we're letting you do this dumbass stunt here so gently caress off somewhere else." So then Mike decided to do the stunt on a friend's private property so they packed everything up and hauled it over there and started setting up again and a week later they were almost ready to launch when the Bureau guys turned up again and went "Heyyy you're still on our property, you're 150 feet short of your friend's land so gently caress off" so Mike and his crew packed it all up again and tried to move 200' over but the ground was too sandy for his RV to drive over it so they gave up and decided to go back to the original site and try and talk the Bureau into letting them launch there. (Spoiler: the Bureau is going to say no again.) While they were driving back the rocket fell off the back of the RV and got damaged so Mike decided to take it home.

It looks like he's going to try and do the launch on Super Bowl Sunday now.

The worst part is, when he does finally launch, we won't be able to post about it in this thread, because he's definitely going to kill himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The worst part is, when he does finally launch, we won't be able to post about it in this thread, because he's definitely going to kill himself.

I THINK Emmy MIGHT cut us a little slack...