Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
That guy in the background with the :stonk: face who's taking a picture is prime avatar material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

None of you motherfuckers are free from ideology.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

None of you motherfuckers are free from ideology.

ok? :confused:

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
blocked. blocked. blocked. you're all blocked. none of you are free from ideology

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Um, what?

Also Obama didn't need to declare marshal law or kill bankers or whatever, but he should've bent the banks over a barrel and made them pay to bail out everyone's homes, and probably nationalized some of the banks while he was at it. The fact that something on the scale of the Great Depression happened and we didn't get something comparably drastic as the New Deal is in fact a disappointment and missed opportunity.
Obama did some vaguely centrist-liberal stuff and your right-wing spectrum mostly lost their minds and elected a Shrieking White-Hot Sphere Of Pure Rage. What if he actually had nationalised a few banks and redistributed money towards Urban Poor People? "The white-hot sphere of pure rage literally couldn't rage any harder!" - I think you're being much too optimistic, it's quite possible it could. Maybe it would have won the popular vote or something.

I'm sure Obama is smarter than you or I and knows more things than you or I and worked harder than you or I can even imagine, and that's as much as he could do.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Obama did some vaguely centrist-liberal stuff and your right-wing spectrum mostly lost their minds and elected a Shrieking White-Hot Sphere Of Pure Rage. What if he actually had nationalised a few banks and redistributed money towards Urban Poor People? "The white-hot sphere of pure rage literally couldn't rage any harder!" - I think you're being much too optimistic, it's quite possible it could. Maybe it would have won the popular vote or something.

I'm sure Obama is smarter than you or I and knows more things than you or I and worked harder than you or I can even imagine, and that's as much as he could do.

that you are incapable of imagining a better world does not make a better world impossible

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

lmao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

Or maybe if he'd actually showed some decisive results instead of tepidly trying to compromise with literal madmen large parts of the Dem base would't have been completely demoralized and stayed home on election day? Elections are won by turning out the base, and during the Obama years the Dems have been shooting themselves in the foot on that one so hard they've lost control of every level of government.

Besides that, this utterly sycophantic attitude towards your political idols is one of the big reasons why the GOP keeps winning. If you never hold your leaders to account for the obvious mistakes they make, you get the kind of lazy complacency that completely cripples your chances of winning. See the entire Democratic establishment last year for what happens then.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I'm sorry, but this post is contained with so many general statements that it is effectively meaningless. Do you think leaving homeowners out to dry the way that he did was really doing "as much as he could"?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obama might have well as instituted Full Communism, it wouldn't have made Republicans any less mad.

Republicans hating Democrats doesn't mean anything any more. The Democrats refuse to learn this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cingulate posted:

Trump won because Obama voters stayed home, and if Obama had been more aggressive about publicly protecting homeowners and normal people at the expense of the wildly unpopular bankers his entire presidency would’ve played out differently.

And yeah, Obama is smarter than me. That doesn’t mean he didn’t make mistakes as president.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

just a sweet german boy who really loves obama :blush:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Also, shut the gently caress up Cingulate. Nobody likes you.

"Cingulate posted:

Yes, I think it matters. From a certain set of premises, I'd say it's logically consistent to murder all the Jews, but me saying that is a completely different thing from me saying we should murder all the Jews.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Lightning Knight posted:

And yeah, Obama is smarter than me. That doesn’t mean he didn’t make mistakes as president.

I dispute this, not because of anything but Obama has done or did, but i firmly believe while there are people who can have genius ideas, there are no geniuses. Humanity still runs on wetware and the sooner we destroy this fundamental assumption of intelligence being classified in tiers instead of spectrums of relative applicability, the better.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Worked hard at trying to gently caress the poor with proposals such as the Grand Bargain? Sure.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Trump won because Obama voters stayed home, and if Obama had been more aggressive about publicly protecting homeowners and normal people at the expense of the wildly unpopular bankers his entire presidency would’ve played out differently.

No, of course not, he made a bunch for sure.

But look at this interview, in particular the section on the ACA. He's describing how it came to be: he's come to realise there will be zero cooperation with the GOP. None, just sabotage. So he has to "work democrats". And he's trying to convince people to vote for policies that will cost them reelection. And he gets a bunch of them, and eventually, Romneycare is made law under his name, and it's A Good Thing from what I can tell, and it cost a few democrats reelection. So he was working really hard, and what came out of it was something as watered down as the ACA.
That's what it seems to me are the realities of the situation: there's a lot of very different people who have some kind of say on the matter, voters on the left, voters on the right, his own politicians, the other side, a bunch of judges, and so on. And he has to find some coalition that will work at all. He couldn't just say, "ok people, go eat the rich, you have my blessing". Not that he would have wanted to; but I don't see how he could have gotten the votes and the support.

(E.: look at this current administration. Surely, they're loving up stuff all around, but I don't think anybody is getting what they want, policy wise, and they have the president and both houses. You think the wall is going up any time soon?)

This reads incredibly naive - "get this, the US isn't a dictatorship!" - I know you know all this. But then, proclaiming in hindsight how easy it would have been to go left, that also seems rather naive to me.

RuanGacho posted:

I dispute this, not because of anything but Obama has done or did, but i firmly believe while there are people who can have genius ideas, there are no geniuses.
Considering people like Marie Curie, who won two Nobels, or Albert Einstein, who won his not even for Relativity, I'd be happy with a definition of 'genius' such as "person very susceptible to having many genius ideas across one or multiple domains". Beethoven didn't just write one good piece of music, he won again and again and again.
And I don't see from what angle you'd classify Obama's brains as anything but exceptional.

Ze Pollack posted:

that you are incapable of imagining a better world does not make a better world impossible
I'm quite capable of imagining a better world: for example, what if we draw a straight line from 1990 to 2016 to 2030? I can imagine that world, and it's pretty decent. A lot like ours - particularly here, in the West - but a good bit better in Africa and South-East Asia.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Or maybe if he'd actually showed some decisive results instead of tepidly trying to compromise with literal madmen
He was simultaneously wrestling with the moderates on his side and the leftists on his side.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 17, 2017

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cingulate posted:

And I don't see from what angle you'd classify Obama's brains as anything but exceptional.

From the most obvious angle: Donald Trump is his successor as president of the United States of America.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

alright someone make some coffee, we're gonna sit down and hammer out a rough estimate of obama's iq. i dont care how long this takes

lets get crackin people

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Obama was a neoliberal piece of poo poo, and I eat pieces of poo poo like him for breakfast.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Guys Obama only rode in on the biggest wave of public discontent since Vietnam, obviously he had zero leverage and just had to roll over and take it even on stuff that the President has full control over. Really the best he could do, pinky swear.

After all, if he had tried to do anything more, the GOP might have taken over every level of government, and then where would we be?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My point is Obama could be rated as a very smart and competent guy in one field and a "let's negotiate with this leopard eating my face" in another.

Kill your heroes, for no one stands above you.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
We're about to see a reality show host clearly suffering from dementia pass the most radical tax reform in decades with barest of majorities. A deeply unpopular tax reform policy that can potentially destroy the healthcare industry and essentially undoes the linchpin of Obamacare, and which even the supporters are openly willing to admit that is essentially gift to donors. The idea that Obama couldn't have done more seems to be fundamentally flawed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joepinetree posted:

We're about to see a reality show host clearly suffering from dementia pass the most radical tax reform in decades with barest of majorities. A deeply unpopular tax reform policy that can potentially destroy the healthcare industry and essentially undoes the linchpin of Obamacare, and which even the supporters are openly willing to admit that is essentially gift to donors. The idea that Obama couldn't have done more seems to be fundamentally flawed.

Certainly easier to get Republicans on board for tax cuts to the wealthy than to get Democrats on board for any single policy proposal.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RuanGacho posted:

My point is Obama could be rated as a very smart and competent guy in one field and a "let's negotiate with this leopard eating my face" in another.
Well yes, but 1. he's smarter than you or I in those aspects that matter for these purposes, 2. he's probably also superior in most of the ones that don't.
Generally speaking, there's a sizeable correlation between all of the fields of intelligence.

RuanGacho posted:

Kill your heroes, for no one stands above you.
As a general point, why not acknowledge your better? Idols can be, inspiration and role models are good. Saying "X is smarter than me" doesn't necessarily get you to give up on yourself or suspend necessary criticism. (Which I don't think I'm doing here - I'm just saying, I think it'd be naive to assume the only thing standing between 2008 and Full Communism is Obama not trying hard enough, given that he probably tried very hard and few could have tried harder.)

joepinetree posted:

In hindsight it's easy to find flaws. But in the moment, it probably would have been extremely hard for anyone to do even as good as he did.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
i wish i could just say "well they are smarter than me", collect my paycheck and pretend like im doing something good for the world

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Democratic Party: Acknowledge Your Betters

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

cant believe this german boy loves authority

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Certainly easier to get Republicans on board for tax cuts to the wealthy than to get Democrats on board for any single policy proposal.
You can get Democrats on board with plenty of policies, the hard part is walking all that back and doing nothing at all while keeping most of the votes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Well yes, but 1. he's smarter than you or I in those aspects that matter for these purposes, 2. he's probably also superior in most of the ones that don't.
Generally speaking, there's a sizeable correlation between all of the fields of intelligence.

As a general point, why not acknowledge your better? Idols can be, inspiration and role models are good. Saying "X is smarter than me" doesn't necessarily get you to give up on yourself or suspend necessary criticism. (Which I don't think I'm doing here - I'm just saying, I think it'd be naive to assume the only thing standing between 2008 and Full Communism is Obama not trying hard enough, given that he probably tried very hard and few could have tried harder.)

In hindsight it's easy to find flaws. But in the moment, it probably would have been extremely hard for anyone to do even as good as he did.

"As good as he did" = series of policies that have been 90% dismantled in a year of Trump, plus letting bankers illegally foreclose on millions of people without repercussions.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

As a general point, why not acknowledge your better?

Oh my god.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god.

I remind everyone that Cingulate is bad, don't argue with Cingulate.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god.

:allears: I know right?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gowb posted:

Obama was a neoliberal piece of poo poo, and I eat pieces of poo poo like him for breakfast.

you eat pieces of poo poo for breakfast?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

"As good as he did" = series of policies that have been 90% dismantled in a year of Trump, plus letting bankers illegally foreclose on millions of people without repercussions.
I think the ACA will have deep, lasting impact. It's a bad compromise, but consider what was before? I am quite sure you'll end up with something closer to ACA then the pre-ACA situation. lovely, yes. But the cat's out of the bag.
He didn't lead you into any new wars, and although this is a risky bet, I think this will also be the measure for future presidents: better or worse than Obama's drone strikes? Drone warfare is bad, but it's so much less bad than Afghanistan or Iraq.
That's honestly about what I expect from a Good US President: giving health care to a few tens of millions, and not starting any real new wars.

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god.
Beethoven was a better composer than me. Gobbeldygook is a better person than I am. Obama is a better politician than I am. I have better taste in spaceships than you. What's the issue?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

What's the issue?

I'm not sure, but I'm fairly confident a good therapist could figure it out.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

He should ask his therapist about this too.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Cingulate posted:

That's honestly about what I expect from a Good US President: giving health care to a few tens of millions, and not starting any real new wars.

And this is what encourages dems to just be Diet GOP instead of an actual leftist opposition. Because when the bar to clear is six-feet under, why actually try?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I think that's a healthy outlook – unless you have a shaky self esteem. In that situation, such comparisons are probably ill advised.

C. Everett Koop posted:

And this is what encourages dems to just be Diet GOP instead of an actual leftist opposition. Because when the bar to clear is six-feet under, why actually try?
Well, you guys come around a lot, so I'm quite glad any time the result is less than "a few hundred thousand or million dead Iraqi/Vietnamese/Cambodians/Koreans". Yes, I'm easy to please.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

Well, you guys come around a lot, so I'm quite glad any time the result is less than "a few hundred thousand or million dead Iraqi/Vietnamese/Cambodians/Koreans". Yes, I'm easy to please.

Do you think hundreds of thousands of people in the developing world weren't killed as a direct result of Obama's choices as president? Or is our intervention in Libya more humane so those dead people don't count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cingulate posted:

I think that's a healthy outlook – unless you have a shaky self esteem. In that situation, such comparisons are probably ill advised.

Apparently obama supporting a violent fascist coup in honduras doesn’t count for you

• Locked thread