Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
please shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That depends on whether you're using the word psychology to mean the field or mental processes.

Given that they're talking about Psychoanalysis instead of psychology I leaned more to the practice since they're trying to really force square pegs into round holes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Given that they're talking about Psychoanalysis instead of psychology I leaned more to the practice since they're trying to really force square pegs into round holes.

Yeah I'm just being pedantic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lf ruled and the best part was bro Aziz and his three hundred dollar pants

I wish TGRS was a better forum

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Visidan posted:

the skeptic aka anti-sjw community on youtube is loving itself, getting eachother fired and leaking personal info

right wing audience on youtube isn't as interested in feminists and wacky SJWs anymore, but moving to race videos has a severe effect on your bank account.

i can't be hosed doing a write up so here's one, careful it's full of memes

https://www.reddit.com/r/Destiny/comments/7kanl7/the_sceptic_community_is_in_the_process_of/

It is pretty amazing how far up their own asses the alt-right/alt-lite are; I've literally never heard of any of these players, or their drama, or of the so called "skeptic" community and I follow this kind of poo poo because staring into the abyss is loving fun. I feel like I need some context - were the "skeptics" just b-tier gamergaters that refused to hop on the "race realism" bell curve bandwagon of the alt-lite, let alone the full racism of the alt-right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah I'm just being pedantic.

well it is literally all you seem to know how to do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Captain_Maclaine posted:

One of the bigger problems within LF was definitely a hard core of posters who were either too deep into whatever flavor of hard left ideology they preached, or fakeposted too long and got lost in the act. Wasn't all just dancing to the hate Amerikkka beat, sad to say.

the ongoing lf-ization of c-spam has been a delight to watch

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

quote:

[–]SimpleJ_ 5 points 4 hours ago

I checked out some other subreddits to see what other sides were thinking. There's nothing on KiA, presumably because it doesn't have enough evidence to be confirmed and keeps being deleted. (How ironic)

drunkenpeasants, which is basically TJ's fans are taking Kraut's side, insisting it's not Kraut's fans downvoting him, it's a massive, organized attack from the alt-right. They might be true to an extent there but I think it's hilarious that apparently TJ's fans are holding firm to the sceptic position.

Meanwhile, Carl of Akkad's subreddit is totally flipping on Kraut, calling this "SkepticPlus" and disavowing everyone even tangentially related to Kraut's plans.

For his part, it looks like Carl sees the writing on the wall. Hence why he was on an alt-right podcast. I'm assuming he will look for an opening and make a clean break from the sceptic movement. It seems like he's sitting on the fence atm, seeing which way the wind blows. He's blatantly sympathizing with alt-right positions but at the same time telling his fans he's "just as hard on the alt-right as the far left." Something has to give I think.

This is stupid, pointless drama and I dislike both sides but I'm enjoying watching this play out.

Grimoire posted:

It is pretty amazing how far up their own asses the alt-right/alt-lite are; I've literally never heard of any of these players, or their drama, or of the so called "skeptic" community and I follow this kind of poo poo because staring into the abyss is loving fun. I feel like I need some context - were the "skeptics" just b-tier gamergaters that refused to hop on the "race realism" bell curve bandwagon of the alt-lite, let alone the full racism of the alt-right?

The "Skeptic Community" were all internet atheists 5-10 years ago, but when all the rhetorical possibilities for arguing with God Delusionists were exhausted, they started becoming skeptical of leftism and racial equality.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And they literally think that they're magic.

One of the bigger problems within LF was definitely a hard core of posters who were either too deep into whatever flavor of hard left ideology they preached, or fakeposted too long and got lost in the act. Wasn't all just dancing to the hate Amerikkka beat, sad to say.

tobleronetriangular was the best gimmick to ever post on SA

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol mishima offed himself for being a pathetic loser who failed at his dream

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mishima was also sexier, more talented, and gayer than Richard Spencer could ever hope to be.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The "Skeptic Community" were all internet atheists 5-10 years ago, but when all the rhetorical possibilities for arguing with God Delusionists were exhausted, they started becoming skeptical of leftism and racial equality.

i listen to a lame science podcast called skeptics guide to the universe, and they all identify with/are pretty central to the 'skeptic community'. their politics are pretty milquetoast centrist stuff but i recall one them unironically identifying as a 'social justice warrior', so, i dunno about this :shrug:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

murked by dragon posted:

i listen to a lame science podcast called skeptics guide to the universe, and they all identify with/are pretty central to the 'skeptic community'. their politics are pretty milquetoast centrist stuff but i recall one them unironically identifying as a 'social justice warrior', so, i dunno about this :shrug:

There's been a Skeptic magazine for I think decades now, so that's not new. On the internet though people calling themselves part of the "skeptic community" are more likely to be New Atheists.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's been a Skeptic magazine for I think decades now, so that's not new. On the internet though people calling themselves part of the "skeptic community" are more likely to be New Atheists.

Skeptic is run by a former libertarian who voted for Nixon. He's slowly come around on gun control and climate change, but he started out lovely.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lf ruled and the best part was bro Aziz and his three hundred dollar pants

The Great Pants Caper landed him closer to two grand, as I recall.

uncurable mlady posted:

the ongoing lf-ization of c-spam has been a delight to watch

Having been active in both, I have to say the dynamic is different this time around, possibly because we've all aged a bit since LF or maybe because the admins decided there had to be more and more consistent modding.

Also, the emphasis on being despairing alcoholics differs quite a bit from LF's furious-at-everything pseudo leftism.

Jose posted:

tobleronetriangular was the best gimmick to ever post on SA

:agreed:
He at least knew to stop when the warning signs got too big.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Brain Curry posted:

Skeptic is run by a former libertarian who voted for Nixon. He's slowly come around on gun control and climate change, but he started out lovely.

Shermer voted for Nixon? lol

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Grimoire posted:

sorta, except they were also racist just didn't focus on race... usually
most of them were making atheism videos mocking christians then people stopped caring about that. after gamergate they moved to women and SJW stuff, this is wearing thin already (at least going by viewcounts)
the problem with going full racism is it's a bit of a career killer when the sole income you get is from youtube* patreon which is the only place these guys can get money. Not to mention paypal which has cut people off for being nazis or rapists

*pewdiepie killed ad revenue completely for pretty much anyone making videos mentioning politics or anything slightly controversial

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
not to mention what has happend to the other alt righters like baked alaska, lauren southern etc

not exactly stunning examples of success

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

murked by dragon posted:

They predate the internet skeptics, though they are indirectly related through common ancestors like Dorkins and the new atheism. The self-described social justice warrior is Rebecca Watson, who precipitated a pre-gamergate event by telling skeptic men not to corner women in elevators and proposition them for sex. This is where thunderfoot’s hatred of women comes from. There were dedicated forums and doxxing and ddosing and every goddamn thing the gators would later do. It all culminated in Dick Dorkins himself writing a blog post about how she was complaining over nothing. She has stalkers to this day.

Skepticism as a movement goes back to Carl Sagan and James Randi, and has always mostly been entitled white male militant atheist dorks. The old guard had a ton of abuse and sexism, and none of the big organizations have really had any connection to the twitter/youtube kind that poach their vocabulary. SGU is good, but the well has kind of been poisoned by the sargon crew and the silence of the old guard.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

murked by dragon posted:

Rebecca Watson is (or at least was when I last listened) an SGU regular. She was the woman who had Dick Dorkins loving rage at her for mentioning that a drunk dude in a lift came onto her, so I assume that resulted in a hard break from the toxic side of online sceptics.

business hammocks beat me to it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

well it is literally all you seem to know how to do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whoa now.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Visidan posted:

sorta, except they were also racist just didn't focus on race... usually
most of them were making atheism videos mocking christians then people stopped caring about that. after gamergate they moved to women and SJW stuff, this is wearing thin already (at least going by viewcounts)
the problem with going full racism is it's a bit of a career killer when the sole income you get is from youtube* patreon which is the only place these guys can get money. Not to mention paypal which has cut people off for being nazis or rapists

*pewdiepie killed ad revenue completely for pretty much anyone making videos mentioning politics or anything slightly controversial

Thanks, I should've known that these were the ideological descendants of that banana rear end nu-atheist guy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The banana guy did go full racist, actually. His Star has dimmed to almost nothing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

business hammocks posted:

The banana guy did go full racist, actually. His Star has dimmed to almost nothing.

It wasn't that bright to begin with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is this the correct thread for this

https://twitter.com/mikeoh712/statu...r%3D173%23pti39

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

They predate the internet skeptics, though they are indirectly related through common ancestors like Dorkins and the new atheism. The self-described social justice warrior is Rebecca Watson, who precipitated a pre-gamergate event by telling skeptic men not to corner women in elevators and proposition them for sex. This is where thunderfoot’s hatred of women comes from. There were dedicated forums and doxxing and ddosing and every goddamn thing the gators would later do. It all culminated in Dick Dorkins himself writing a blog post about how she was complaining over nothing. She has stalkers to this day.

Skepticism as a movement goes back to Carl Sagan and James Randi, and has always mostly been entitled white male militant atheist dorks. The old guard had a ton of abuse and sexism, and none of the big organizations have really had any connection to the twitter/youtube kind that poach their vocabulary. SGU is good, but the well has kind of been poisoned by the sargon crew and the silence of the old guard.

Still never fails to amaze me that her very mild comments caused such a poo poo show to happen. I do wonder if any of the flack she got caused her to move on, I'm glad she was replaced with Cara Santa Maria.

Most of the skeptical podcasts I listen to seem to be quite left leaning and thankfully seem to do better work than sad Carl and his network.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

https://twitter.com/joel_pelletier/status/941592353898250240

ok I laughed

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I thought he was more of a misogynist, rather than a racist.

If anything, he wasn't racist enough for his target audience.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

skeptics are usually pretty bad but I like the Center for Inquiry and it's podcast, which is largely about confronting socially regressive and right wing ideas through the lens of secular humanism. it's a little bit Liberal but still probably the best outlet for atheist/skeptical takes that aren't insanely offensive

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

i'd like a tattoo of Christopher Hitchens looking at a tattoo of Christopher Hitchens please

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dreddout posted:

I thought he was more of a misogynist, rather than a racist.

If anything, he wasn't racist enough for his target audience.

I wonder if that's a genuine problem for some people, they were alright with SJWs, Trans etc... but suddenly they've got big competition when all they're willing to say is "Well if a lot of black people are in prison maybe they commit the most crimes" and there are people out there saying "Muslims, black people and the jews are trying to destroy the white man."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

bessantj posted:

Still never fails to amaze me that her very mild comments caused such a poo poo show to happen

Let me tell you about a little youtube series that got a tad more kickstarter funding than they had first anticipated...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The Great Pants Caper landed him closer to two grand, as I recall.

Having been active in both, I have to say the dynamic is different this time around, possibly because we've all aged a bit since LF or maybe because the admins decided there had to be more and more consistent modding.

Also, the emphasis on being despairing alcoholics differs quite a bit from LF's furious-at-everything pseudo leftism.

:agreed:
He at least knew to stop when the warning signs got too big.
every day I'm mad that I didn't come up with the pants caper

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Let me tell you about a little youtube series that got a tad more kickstarter funding than they had first anticipated...

I love that people accuse her of shutting down free speech because she turned of youtube comments.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

every day I'm mad that I didn't come up with the pants caper

If only you'd thought to either be or pretend to be an unemployed adult* convert to Islam* with a shut-in transgendered boyfriend, stealing internet in a South Boston hobo squat.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

thought it was satire until halfway thru

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Psychoanalysis is sustenance but it's not nutrition

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ProGrowthArthur/status/942221794844352512

just lol at a grown man talking like this

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I didn't realize right-punching was there version of down-punching and thought it was like what Jeb Bush did to Richard Spencer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greend00d
Nov 9, 2017

hello friend
folks, you see this? looks like a nazi ran the most obvious false flag and the most reasonable and evenhanded people online bought it wholesale.

https://twitter.com/MrDane1982/status/942044354251755521

https://twitter.com/RAM_Philly/status/942037893509509120