Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The rule change involved how many local tv stations one company can own.

BrianWilly posted:

Isn't the whole point that it's not an outside studio anymore? I mean I don't really know how the specifics are supposed to work but the point is that all the TV production is up to Disney now, right?

Gifted is currently produced by the Fox TV studio and airs on the Fox broadcast network. Post buyout Gifted will be produced by Disney but will air on the still Murdoch owned Fox network. Which is how tv used to work, but increasingly is no longer the business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

If I had to guess I would say, pending ratings, that Disney would be willing to keep The Gifted and Legion around as they're not directly X-Men series. They both operate on the periphery of the franchise and are also explicitly alternate universe takes.

With how long it would take Marvel/Disney to get things kicking they can just let those last because they'll be cancelled before they spin up their X-Men stuff.

(Next season.)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

howe_sam posted:

The rule change involved how many local tv stations one company can own.

Gifted is currently produced by the Fox TV studio and airs on the Fox broadcast network. Post buyout Gifted will be produced by Disney but will air on the still Murdoch owned Fox network. Which is how tv used to work, but increasingly is no longer the business model.

Haven’t been following the limits on TV affiliates so I dunno if those have changed recently, but no company is allowed to own more than one broadcast network.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

I actually thought that rule changed this month. I saw some hollering about it on the news. That's why I thought it was included in the deal. Also, the articles on the merger that I read mentioned Disney buying the local sports licenses that Fox networks had, so I assumed it was a package deal.

Fox News, Fox Business Network, Fox Sports and the national and local broadcast channels are NOT included in the deal.

For television stuff, Murdoch sold the TV production company 20th Century Fox Television, which includes stuff like FX and NatGeo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Isn't the whole point that it's not an outside studio anymore? I mean I don't really know how the specifics are supposed to work but the point is that all the TV production is up to Disney now, right?

edit: By which I mean, it would be really weird for 21st Century Fox to sell all these shows to Disney -- The Gifted, Simpsons, Empire, X-Files, etc etc -- and then still be able to say "Well we're gonna cancel these shows that you just paid so much money for so they can't air anymore. Sucks to be you!"

Or maybe I just don't understand this right and it really is that weird.

I mean, if Disney owns the shows couldn't they just move them to ABC, the Simpsons and X-Files would be a huge boost for ABC.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC got rid of the rules preventing Disney from owning Fox TV in the next year, though it wouldn't affect this deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Cyborg was never in the TT. :downswords:

I would like bumblebee and herald to show up.

And N52 Wally has only been a Titan for like a year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

And N52 Wally has only been a Titan for like a year.

Yeah, but some version of Kid Flash has been a staple for most of the team's history, right? What other minorities could be on the team?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but some version of Kid Flash has been a staple for most of the team's history, right? What other minorities could be on the team?

Joto (from the Jurgens era), Blue Beetle, Pantha, Aquagirl, Power Girl 2, YJ Aqualad, Thunder & Lightning. Did Osiris (52) ever join the Titans officially? What about Static?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Joto (from the Jurgens era), Blue Beetle, Pantha, Aquagirl, Power Girl 2, YJ Aqualad, Thunder & Lightning. Did Osiris (52) ever join the Titans officially? What about Static?

I thought Statics rights were in litigation hell or something?

YJ Aqualad would be dope tho.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr Hootington posted:

Cyborg was never in the TT. :downswords:

I would like bumblebee and herald to show up.

Cyborg was very much a member of Teen Titans

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's kidding and referencing the N52 timeline.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Skwirl posted:

I mean, if Disney owns the shows couldn't they just move them to ABC, the Simpsons and X-Files would be a huge boost for ABC.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC got rid of the rules preventing Disney from owning Fox TV in the next year, though it wouldn't affect this deal.

The Fox TV network still owns the distribution rites for those shows. The only way they'd be able to move to another network would be if Fox decided not to renew them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krailor posted:

The Fox TV network still owns the distribution rites for those shows. The only way they'd be able to move to another network would be if Fox decided not to renew them.

Yeah, but Fox broadcasting was NOT included in the sale. So the shows currently on FOX (like Lucifer) are definitely not going to be Disney assets as far as distribution.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Move Lucifer to CW and roll it into that universe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koalas March posted:

I thought Statics rights were in litigation hell or something?

YJ Aqualad would be dope tho.

They're bringing back YJ though so they probably don't want him in Titans too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

Move Gotham to CW and roll it into that universe.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Move Gotham to CW and roll it into that universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This would also be acceptable. I figure the Earth X event was just the first Crisis and eventually they'll do COIE and roll all their tv shows into one reality.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

This would also be acceptable. I figure the Earth X event was just the first Crisis and eventually they'll do COIE and roll all their tv shows into one reality.

Does that mean they'll kill Barry, because I'm okay with that.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mr Hootington posted:

This looks boring.

Who is the baddie?

Thought I saw somewhere that it was gonna be Typhoid Mary, but that might have been some rumor mill bullshit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theironjef posted:

Thought I saw somewhere that it was gonna be Typhoid Mary, but that might have been some rumor mill bullshit.

Man, I'd love Typhoid Mary. Nacenti's Daredevil run was the first DD comics I read, so she's always been my first thought when someone talks about lady villain that Matt fucks but also fights, more so than Elektra.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

theironjef posted:

That's the supposed leak I've seen, but no idea how credible it is. According to that leak, Typhoid Mary will be using her powers to force JJ to relive her worst memories.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Eugh. I really hope that's not it. Most of season one was people digging up her dark past and her using alcohol to suppress those memories. That plot would be redundant and frankly boring. Her past is kinda played out, so I hope they'll look to the future.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Doesn't the trailer explicitly point to her past and possibly her origins?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That's her power? I thought she was pyrokinetic and had multiple personalities. Also that she was a mutant.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

theironjef posted:

That's her power? I thought she was pyrokinetic and had multiple personalities. Also that she was a mutant.

She is telekinetic, pyrokinetic, and can plant mental suggestions in people's heads.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Got around to watching Crisis on Earth X. These can't be very effective Nazis if there are still Jews around 60 years later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Beachcomber posted:

Got around to watching Crisis on Earth X. These can't be very effective Nazis if there are still Jews around 60 years later.

The Nazis only ramped up from "forced labor/human experimentation camps, dispose of them when they're not useful anymore" to "death camps" when they started losing.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

ToastyPotato posted:

Doesn't the trailer explicitly point to her past and possibly her origins?

Yeah, at the end of S1 she got a file on the group that did experiments on her (and Cage) after her car crash (and gave her powers).

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's very simple. TCRI is responsible for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and the TMNT.

But seriously, if we don't get Rachael Taylor in a modified Adam West cowl, Marvel Netflix has been for nothing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Inkspot posted:

It's very simple. TCRI is responsible for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and the TMNT.

But seriously, if we don't get Rachael Taylor in a modified Adam West cowl, Marvel Netflix has been for nothing.

Has she mentioned doing any physical training for S2?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Inkspot posted:

Yea, after the Leth Hellcat series I got really sad that they went with a more serious version of the character.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ToastyPotato posted:

Has she mentioned doing any physical training for S2?

Because she kicked so much rear end in the first season?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Inkspot posted:

:same:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

theironjef posted:

Can she fight someone who isn't a rapist.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Honestly I'd be fine with JJ S2 being more about investigative work than super-heroing.
Look at Luke Cage, Cottonmouth was a more interesting villain than Diamondback and he was someone Luke couldn't just punch until he gave up.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lurdiak posted:

Can she fight someone who isn't a rapist.

It's a comic book adaptation, so no.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
End of Crisis on Earth X was the most fremdschämen I've experienced in years.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Crisis on Earth X had a really silly story, but it's worth it to see all the characters interacting. One of my favourite moments was Kara's reaction to Nazi-Kara and Nazi-Ollie being an item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

irlZaphod posted:

Crisis on Earth X had a really silly story, but it's worth it to see all the characters interacting. One of my favourite moments was Kara's reaction to Nazi-Kara and Nazi-Ollie being an item.

Her reaction for romance tends to be "ew yuck!"