Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ultrafilter posted:

They still died of the black scrawl if their gestalt was killed, so they weren't entirely free.

Yeah the end of Nier was "your entire quest was pointless and just killed everyone instead of actually solving the issue a hand, good job"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The "abstract white block" stylings really get to me every time. You can make this kind of crazy replica but not put colors on it?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
edit: wrong thread

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Glazius posted:

The "abstract white block" stylings really get to me every time. You can make this kind of crazy replica but not put colors on it?

Maybe they didn't see the point. I kind of like that. So close to being human, but not close enough. It likes it's own super geometric aesthetic that could be considered digital to humanity's analogue.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Like the Copied City I felt the point was to magically 3D print human stuff for studying purposes so nobody bothered to order a cadre of stubbies to paint the thing

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Glazius posted:

The machines' white structures are probably put together in a way that functionally approximates 3D printing. It's all one material, so coloring it must be non-trivial at the scales we're looking at.

From our introduction to the Copied City:

quote:

Analysis: This area is composed of crystallized silicon and carbon. Further details unknown.

Silicon and carbon very rarely bond in nature, so you can't really go the the silicon-carbon crystal mines and carve up some blocks to stack and sculpt. We can synthesize silicon carbide today, but again, on that scale, we're probably talking about some kind of mass-produced-through-alien-tech equivalent that's also really freakin' hard but just sort of white and shiny.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Zagglezig posted:

I don't know where this is going, but if it turns out the machines are pulling some weird Titan A.E. sorta thing and we're gonna smash another convoluted plan to bring humans back....

I'm wondering that too after all those data files. There's definitely some interest in original recipe humans there beyond just trying to emulate them in weird broken ways, whatever their goal may be. Possibly they should have reconsidered the amount of resources they were willing to put in to personally making 9S want to destroy them and stop what they're doing at any cost if they were serious about it...but oh well, too late now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah the end of Nier was "your entire quest was pointless and just killed everyone instead of actually solving the issue a hand, good job"

quote:

There's this interview I remember reading (but have never been able to find again, sorry) where someone asked Taro Yoko why he made such depressing games, citing Nier as an example. He asked why they thought Nier was depressing and the interviewer responded with "Well I mean, everyone dies," to which Yoko Taro responded "What's important isn't whether they lived or died, but whether or not they achieved salvation."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(in other words I think people overrate the "dad Nier ends up loving up the Gestalt program and killing everyone" bit, which is out of most of the character's hands anyway, and end up completely misreading the tone of Nier, which is absolutely not a nihilistic game)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Posting from the Bootleg thread:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yoko Taro's got an instagram account now.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(in other words I think people overrate the "dad Nier ends up loving up the Gestalt program and killing everyone" bit, which is out of most of the character's hands anyway, and end up completely misreading the tone of Nier, which is absolutely not a nihilistic game)

Cultural difference, I suppose? I'm not very big on popular Japanese culture, I think the main ones that I'm familiar with are the Drakenier games (thanks to TheDarkId), Fate/Stay Night, The Seven Samurai, and a few older Japanese cartoon series (Mazinger Z, Thundersub/Super Carrier Blue Noah, Voltron I and Voltron III). Admittedly, the cartoon series' are dubbed, and sometimes changed outright, but the tone is sometimes obvious, and it's often "darker" than what's in American shows. It's not the dying that's important or significant, but the journey? Maybe? It's not necessarily about saving the day (though there is a bit of that), but that you've done the best that you can, and done right by the people who're depending on you.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

So far, what I'm getting from this is that Yoko Taro likes dogs.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Our dark overlord is apparently a dog person. I approve. :3:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Zoe posted:

Possibly they should have reconsidered the amount of resources they were willing to put in to personally making 9S want to destroy them and stop what they're doing at any cost if they were serious about it...but oh well, too late now.

Look, even a perfect immortal machine needs to unwind and have fun from time to time.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Skylight posted:

Our dark overlord is apparently a dog person. I approve. :3:

...Yoko, NO, leave the dogs alone. DO NOT put them in your games. I declare this to be a shankable offense and I am very strict about upholding the law.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Bufuman posted:

...Yoko, NO, leave the dogs alone. DO NOT put them in your games. I declare this to be a shankable offense and I am very strict about upholding the law.

Not even if the dogs become the winners of the games? For example, let's say dogs in the next Nier become the immortal overlords of the Earth (in at least one ending)? Would that be acceptable?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Dogs were in OG nier, i don’t think a single one had a good ending :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Clearly it's a clue that YT will direct Okami 2.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Bruceski posted:

Clearly it's a clue that YT will direct Okami 2.

The last boss and ending is pretty out there so I could see this.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXXXII: Give Him a Hand

Video: Click to watch update contents.

We’ll worry about A2 dealing with that spider-bot some other time. For now, we’re gonna check back in on our boy 9S to see how he’s hanging since a copy of the only person he ever cared about exploded in his face.

Honestly, he’s looking alright all things consid—

...Alright. Now that might be problematic.

While rolling around in pain, 9S notices one of the 2B corpses fell through the floor with him.

9S, I know you’re having a rough time lately. But this is really skirting the line between sad/touching and also real creepy. Maybe you should think about doing something about that sparking arm stump of yours.

GAAAAAAH!!

Jesus Christ 9S! That’s not what I meant!

I can’t stop... Have to keep fighting...

Music: The Tower

Alert: Virus detected in locomotion region. High probability that infection source is transplanted parts from corrupted units. Proposal: Hack into self and eliminate virus.
On it...

Alright, 9S. It’s time to hack yourself to sort out the virus. That seems a suspect solution. But what do I know about robots from thousands of years in the future?

If you’ll recall way back to early Route B, this is the same internal diagnostics set-up 9S had when he was repairing himself up on top of Engels. Only this time there’s some pesky defense units and a core that needs to be sorted out to get rid of the Logic Virus contamination.

Virus eliminated.
<tests out borrowed arm>
Ninety-five percent of functionality restored.

OK. We’re back in business. Before we move on through the path ahead, there’s a very sneaky final locked treasure chest just behind the wreckage where we began. A brief hack later and we receive the last hacking box treasure chest along the main plot path. Let’s take a look...

Given that 3361 was the first half of NieR 1, it seems as soon as the Shadowlord finally got fed up and went “gently caress y’all, I’m getting my daughter back” they already knew Devola and Popola had screwed the pooch handling that whole thing and Project Gestalt was toast.

Anyway, now that 9S is officially rearmed, it’s time to get back to the fight. There is just one tiny little problem...

YoRHa unit 9S!
YoRHa unit 9S!
Welcome to the Tower!
Welcome to the Tower!
You bastards...!

<voice changing from pleasant Tower System Services to Master Control Program from Tron> Because you made it this far, we have a special announcement just for you...
We’ll reveal it once you destroy all the machine lifeforms here.

New Music: A Beautiful Song (Instrumental)

Alright, 9S? Ready to do some more machine killing?

Of course you are! What a silly question. The slaughter must continue until they’re all dead.

And boy are there a lot of ‘em. Stubbies, Medium Flyers, Medium Bipeds... Axeboys, Spearboys, EMP dudes. They’re all lining up to become as gods.

But, it’s nothing 9S can’t handle at this point. He’s killed enough machines to fill a scrap yard. After this is all settled he’s going to get himself a dog shaped robot companion and open up a scrap business selling to the Resistance. Mhm.

You did it.
Now let us show you what we promised.

Music: ENDS

And here’s our reward: An intel file. They don’t actually give us time to read it. It’s just inserted into our archives. But let’s pause for a moment and see what we’ve got...

Welp. The backdoor to the Bunker leading to everyone’s infection with the Logic Virus and the deaths of everyone in YoRHa was the actual end goal of the project. Androids would eventually start asking about humans on the moon if YoRHa was supposedly in direct contact with ‘em and would probably starting going “HEY, wait a minute...” if nobody from YoRHa had actually met a human before. So just kill anyone that knew the truth by having the machines intentionally infiltrate the system and infect everyone and there’s that loose end sorted out.

It’s worth noting that this file was erroneously packaged along with the info about the Black Boxes back in the Soul Box Resource Unit. So it was really confusing when you received the same Intel file twice and 9S only flips his poo poo at YoRHa being set-up to die this time.

Oh right, we haven’t gotten to 9S’s reaction. Spoilers... :v:

This is Project YoRHa.
That means all of us... 2B...

Now you know everything.
Do you still wish to fight?

Aaaaarrrrhhhh!!

Welp. I guess you’ve got your answer. The path the Red Girls blocked earlier to reveal themselves reopens.

Music: The Tower

We cannot be destroyed. YoRHa unit 9S... Your attack is meaningless. Your existence is meaningless.
Shut up!

There’s one final challenge left before 9S takes on the final bosses of Route C. If there’s one thing 9S has done more than fall down assorted holes, it is...

Keep ‘em coming... I’ll destroy them all...
All of them... AND this Tower!

...Destroying Flight Units. Remember those jerks who shot down 2B way down the beginning of Route C? We never did sort them out. It’s time to fix that... permanently.

Flight Units have all the capabilities they did back when we were using ‘em regularly. They’ve got a wide swipe attack with their blade that is fairly easily telegraphed.

They can dump Gatling bullets in 9S’s general direction to very little success. Turns out those things weren’t made for anti-personnel fire and are wildly inaccurate at close range.

The Flight Units can also unleash their inner Macross and launch a missile barrage in 9S’s general direction. Thankfully, these are also rubbish at close range and are easily evaded by just moving in any direction.

Lastly, the Flight Units can utilize a concentrated laser blast. They did that back during the Bunker escape sequence too. Funny, I don’t remember being able to do that when we controlled Flight Units. But then again, the enemy Flight Units aren’t trying kamikaze attacks against 9S so I guess it all evens out in ability disparity.

Flight Units can be hacked and blown to bits just like anything else. In fact, since these things, like everything else from YoRHa, haven’t bothered leveling since the Bunker’s destruction they’re not particularly a great threat since they’re all lagging a dozen levels behind Hackerman.

A few more waves of Flight Unit reinforcements float in to help but none of them are a match for a very pissed off 9S. All are destroyed in short order. That is...

...except for the very last one, which conveniently just gets disabled.

Take a hike, bitch! 9S is committing Grand Theft Mecha. He’s got more killin’ to do.

Tune in next time as we return to A2’s adventures in the Tower as the Machine Terminal Red Girls Trollfest ’45 continues.

Video: Episode 132 Highlight Reel
(You should probably watch this.)

Red Girls Official Art – Fun fact: All young girls in red dresses are huge assholes.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 20, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, 2B gave 9S a hand one last time. :unsmith:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I love how quickly the scene between 9S and deadB goes from :smith: to :stare:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The Dark Id posted:

Your existence is meaningless.
The entire game is their elaborate revenge plan because Nines saying the machines' actions are meaningless really annoyed them. :v:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Those boots are ridiculous.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Ahahahahaha; YoRHa was created to be disposable from the very beginning.

:yokotaro:

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I'm not saying it needs to happen every time. But all these scenes of 2B's madness and misery would be a lot better if there was a tiny chance that Emil would drive past in the middle.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Weeble posted:

Ahahahahaha; YoRHa was created to be disposable from the very beginning.

:yokotaro:

Even worse, one of the other goals of the project was... the collection of combat data! It always comes down to that. Like goddamn clockwork.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

9S seems to be going nuclear.

Explosions posted:

I'm not saying it needs to happen every time. But all these scenes of 2B's madness and misery would be a lot better if there was a tiny chance that Emil would drive past in the middle.

You mean 9S, right? Not that Emil finding his way inside the Tower to act as a final item shop wouldn't make sense and be extremely :yokotaro:

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Even worse, one of the other goals of the project was... the collection of combat data! It always comes down to that. Like goddamn clockwork.

Does anyone when did "Battle Data" start being a thing in Japanese media? I'm actually kind of annoyed they went to that cliche for YoRHa's purpose, though I suspect they're actually going to send out another iteration of the program, or replace it with something similar.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
To be fair their main purpose is to convince the rest of androidkind that humans still exist on the Moon.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ratoslov posted:

Those boots are ridiculous.

when you're a conceptual being and a hologram that does not even walk, you can have whatever you want for feet

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Sindai posted:

To be fair their main purpose is to convince the rest of androidkind that humans still exist on the Moon.

It's kind of a ridiculous plan overall, like the whole part where they make a whole series of goth super combat droids just to kill them all later seems completely superfluous... except for that sweet, sweet combat data of course. Who actually started it all up though?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Damnit 9S, that is not the proper way to pull off The Stranger. Although it's close.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
:allears:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

There's a little text duplication - you have sentences introducing the concentrated laser blast twice in a row, with an image between.

The red girls are not very nice.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Look at it like this: at least he didn't dislodge Toobie's arm from under a collapsed ceiling while a stubby watches on, dead-eyed.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Now that we're finally up to this point I've really got to ask: what does Yoko Taro have against arms? It seems to come up a lot in his works, like to a frankly worrying degree.

Kavak posted:

Does anyone when did "Battle Data" start being a thing in Japanese media? I'm actually kind of annoyed they went to that cliche for YoRHa's purpose, though I suspect they're actually going to send out another iteration of the program, or replace it with something similar.

I don't know what started it but "battle data" is pretty much just shorthand for "all this bullshit was pointless and the people in charge are a bunch of petty assholes" which is basically :yokotaro: writ large.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's an easy way to have somebody get the poo poo kicked out of them, but then it doesn't matter because haha I am an evil chessmaster genius with no concern for the lives of my subordinates and this was my plan all along. See also: SPECTRE.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

megane posted:

It's an easy way to have somebody get the poo poo kicked out of them, but then it doesn't matter because haha I am an evil chessmaster genius with no concern for the lives of my subordinates and this was my plan all along. See also: SPECTRE.

I'd love to see a villain go into a "battle data" speech, only to have someone point out that, with all their minions exploded, there's no way left to actually make use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

GunnerJ posted:

It's kind of a ridiculous plan overall, like the whole part where they make a whole series of goth super combat droids just to kill them all later seems completely superfluous... except for that sweet, sweet combat data of course. Who actually started it all up though?

Kavak posted:

The very first instance of combat data that I can remember coming up was with Resident Evil. And given how Nier's backstory had a canonical Umbrella Inc. experimenting on the T-Virus Maso, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones to install a fascination with combat data in all Android AI.

• Locked thread