Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

hyphz posted:

That bug is right in the core of the system, though. Dexterity is mistaken for Agilty, but you can't have agility without strength. Reflex saves have no Strength component even though seeing a ball of fire coming towards you is no use if your muscles are too feeble to move your rear end out of the way in time. The only social skill keyed to Strength is Intimidate which is seen as a negative thing to use, even though plenty of people are impressed by Arnie or Mr.T or whoever without being in direct danger of being punched by them.
Yeah, STR as D&D defines it is actually this very weird specific facet of overall strength that doesn't correspond to how muscles work in real life. It wasn't a conspiracy against fighters, either, it was just an accident brought about by cargo-culting D&D's mechanics. In old-school D&D, STR is important for melee fighting, lifting and carrying heavy things, and forcing doors open. That makes it really valuable in the context of D&D and not so much in a ton of other games in different genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Rand Brittain posted:

I was just informed that I've been placed in a lower rank because my skill was below the minimum required after five games. Wow, seriously? Some of those games I thought I even did pretty well in, and I certainly had three golds in one of them.

wow, RPGs have gotten mean

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Get out of here, Blackleaf is dead!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Uh. Shakespeare?

Fair, but even considering that, most of his works that people know as popular fiction are theatre, or film versions that take place in modern or alternate times. That or don't offer a huge insight into that time period as a whole.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Okay, if this isn't the Overwatch thread it's possible my aim really is that bad.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Spiteski posted:

That can probably be attributed to a relatively smaller pool of popular fiction taking place in that era.
Most everyone I game with wants to recreate some sort of fiction they've read or seen or played in and 1600s doesn't have a lot of stuff that lots of people would come into contact with.

This is definitely a big part of it. I've struggled with good entertainment references to help people get oriented. It mostly ends up being real specific stuff like A Field In England or The VVitch.

The most effective thing I've come across in terms of giving people the right idea is probably the Three Musketeers.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Spiteski posted:

Fair, but even considering that, most of his works that people know as popular fiction are theatre, or film versions that take place in modern or alternate times. That or don't offer a huge insight into that time period as a whole.

Huh. Yeah. You might have me there.

Now I’m going all old man yells at clouds about the lack of authentic Shakespeare.

It’s me, I’m the guy raised by Kenneth Branagh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

One of Brazil's most popular games is O Desafio dos Bandeirantes (The Challenge of the Bandeirantes) which is set in a fantasy version of colonial Brazil in the 17th century.

Played that one in middle school! Our history teacher was real cool for having us try that. But yeah other than those it's a real underused time, specially since I was studying the virreinato lately and it's a real interesting time period.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rand Brittain posted:

I was just informed that I've been placed in a lower rank because my skill was below the minimum required after five games. Wow, seriously? Some of those games I thought I even did pretty well in, and I certainly had three golds in one of them.

EDIT: Also the Overwatch thread apparently turned into this one.
Aim like this is why you didn't make gold.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So what is W.O.I.N., aside from EN World's proprietary RPG engine? I stumbled across something for making NPCs/monsters in it and it has 9 attributes, 4 defenses, a soak pool and HP. Is it really overcomplicated 3.x?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Tasoth posted:

EN World's proprietary RPG engine?

Tasoth posted:

really overcomplicated 3.x?

So, I don't have any first hand knowledge but these two things seem very closely related.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

http://www.uptofourplayers.com/comic/27-time-to-get-role-ing/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Has there ever been an RPG webcomic that was actually good?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And there never will be.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Darths & Droids?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What is that supposed to even be? Is the girl in the bubble on the other side of the table? Is it supposed to be one of those "how to translate the inscrutable things a nerd might say" deals? If so, why is what he's saying just a melange of various popular RPG names? How is "Let's eat dinner" translated to "What do you want on dinner?" Is this what it feels like to watch Big Bang Theory?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

theironjef posted:

What is that supposed to even be? Is the girl in the bubble on the other side of the table? Is it supposed to be one of those "how to translate the inscrutable things a nerd might say" deals? If so, why is what he's saying just a melange of various popular RPG names? How is "Let's eat dinner" translated to "What do you want on dinner?" Is this what it feels like to watch Big Bang Theory?
In order: An attempt at a "nerd joke", probably not, yes, because the author doesn't know anything except D&D-alikes, because lol nerds only ever eat pizza, yes.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

theironjef posted:

Is this what it feels like to watch Big Bang Theory?

Do you smell burning toast?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

The only social skill keyed to Strength is Intimidate which is seen as a negative thing to use, even though plenty of people are impressed by Arnie or Mr.T or whoever without being in direct danger of being punched by them.

*extremely actually voice*

Intimidate is linked to Charisma.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Yawgmoth posted:

In order: An attempt at a "nerd joke", probably not, yes, because the author doesn't know anything except D&D-alikes, because lol nerds only ever eat pizza, yes.

The author's actually the one who did a fairly good 'how to play Fate" breakdown comics, IIRC that were circulating here awhile back, IIRC, but...yeah. Those were instructional instead of an attempt at being funny.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

The sad part is that I played in a game with a DM who more or less attempted the exact same thing, and by minute 5 it was clear that he was attaching all these moving parts together without any understanding of how they work.

He also was a complete shitlord who couldn’t grasp the concept of playing a character of a different gender, but that’s a story for another time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wait, you've heard of Magic? My obscure CCG reference wasn't obscure enough! Seriously, your drat dead-rear end great--grandma had heard of D&D. I'm mad at this comic.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Has there ever been an RPG webcomic that was actually good?

Kill Six Billion Demons :black101:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Simian_Prime posted:

The sad part is that I played in a game with a DM who more or less attempted the exact same thing, and by minute 5 it was clear that he was attaching all these moving parts together without any understanding of how they work.

He also was a complete shitlord who couldn’t grasp the concept of playing a character of a different gender, but that’s a story for another time.

What?

Also, I had something similar, but the GM wasn't a shitlord. She tried to run 4e D&D with 13th Age's background system and it just didn't mesh because the skill system is just too deeply engrained.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

theironjef posted:

Wait, you've heard of Magic? My obscure CCG reference wasn't obscure enough! Seriously, your drat dead-rear end great--grandma had heard of D&D. I'm mad at this comic.

I can’t wait til “Intelligent Life” starts making D&D references and we get to meet another tracing of a Family Guy character as the GM.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Haystack posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons :black101:

I don't really count that because the comic came first and then the creator decided he wanted to make an RPG based on it, rather than someone starting from the first principle of "I want to make a comic about playing RPGs or set in an RPG world."

What's the webcomic where gamer nerds are actually some kind of special changeling-esque fantastical creatures by night and there's an order of sinister normie hunters devoted to killing them?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I have to believe there's an actual play that's not garbage?

Uh... 8-Bit Theatre was something I read as a teen, is that good?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Order of the Stick?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

What's the webcomic where gamer nerds are actually some kind of special changeling-esque fantastical creatures by night and there's an order of sinister normie hunters devoted to killing them?

Weregeek? Just a guess -- I never read it, just saw ad banners for it back in my webcomic-reading days -- but I think that was the premise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Order of the Stick?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Antivehicular posted:

Weregeek? Just a guess -- I never read it, just saw ad banners for it back in my webcomic-reading days -- but I think that was the premise.

That's it! I don't know if they ever kept that premise going or not, it seemed like the writer would periodically go back and forth between that and regular three panel gag strips, but I do remember the first time I read it my eyes literally rolled right out of my skull which is why I have these replacement eyeballs.

Moriatti posted:

I have to believe there's an actual play that's not garbage?

It's pretty impressive that the guy who used to be The 8-Bit Theater Guy went on to do Atomic Robo and seems to be reasonably successful at it, good for him.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Covok posted:

What?

Also, I had something similar, but the GM wasn't a shitlord. She tried to run 4e D&D with 13th Age's background system and it just didn't mesh because the skill system is just too deeply engrained.

So one of the systems used by said GM for his nominally 5e game was a DCC style Funnel. Everything from race to occupation was rolled randomly on a bunch of tables, so I figured “I’ll flip a coin to randomly determine gender as well for my four characters.” I got 3 men and 1 woman. The woman was the only survivor of the funnel so she became my 1st level paladin character. She was the only female character in the group (I’m male).

Right out the gate when the GM realizes this, he starts commanding “I don’t want to see *any* romantic subplots in my games!” (Nobody was asking for any). His in-game behavior towards both my character and I became incredibly passive-aggressive, to the point that by session 2 I just stopped going. Blows my mind that someone can provide 20 options for playing a fantasy creature, but try to play a “woman” and grogs lose their poo poo.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Order of the Stick?

OotS is probably the best anti-3.5 cautionary tale ever written.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Simian_Prime posted:

OotS is probably the best anti-3.5 cautionary tale ever written.

It's also impressive that someone can work on a comic for as long as Burlew has and still be just so drat bad at it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Flipping through Up to Four Players, the only joke seems to be "What if somebody acted in an exaggerated fashion regarding tabletop games!" But it's not a punchline, there's no setup, just... it's too bad, because they seem to be reasonably good at cartooning, but the jokes are just the characters hamming on the final panel.

The instructional stuff is cute but doesn't really make much use of the medium, it's just characters hamming references around text boxes.

Hamming, it's a word I'm using now, I guess.

Moriatti posted:

It was alright for the time and standards of the early 2000s, but Brian Clevinger was pretty wise to eventually abandon that ship. Too many webcomic authors end up having a hit strip become their iron lung.

Speaking of which, Order of the Stick was cute and jokey at first, but like many comics that run too long, it became an ouroboros of self-congratulatory nonsense.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Dude should probably stick to the "Explain how to play a game" comics and not try to tell jokes other than the Star Wars comic's shouty "I wanna be a wookie" guy which is a person that is actually in every Star Wars group.

Covok
May 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Dude should probably stick to the "Explain how to play a game" comics and not try to tell jokes other than the Star Wars comic's shouty "I wanna be a wookie" guy which is a person that is actually in every Star Wars group.

I have been that guy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh hey, there's a comments section.

quote:

This is hilarious! Incoming text bomb for anyone who cares, though (don't say I didn't warn you):

It's really funny because I ACTUALLY run a game that uses Aspects (and some other things) from "Aspects of Fantasy" (a FATE/Pathfinder/LotFP hybrid from Kickstarter), the attributes from "TriStat", Advantage/Disadvantage from "5th Edition", the skill system is a combination of Backgrounds from "13th Age" and Talents from Tunnels & Trolls, the combat uses Combat Skills from "BESM d20" (combined with the aforementioned kludge skill system, for streamlined skill based combat) the "Mutants & Masterminds 3" Damage Tracks/Dice mechanics and the spell system is a mixture of the "BESM d20" Advanced Magic, the Skill Based Magic from "Sword & Sorcery's" Advanced Player's Guide, and "True20's" True Sorcery (with a DCC's Spellburn) and "Mystic Eye Games'" Artificer's Handbook. Hell, we even use the 3d6 Bell Curve Rolls/Players Roll All the Dice from "Unearthed Arcana" There are also some minor additions from some other systems like the "Five Moons RPG" playtest, and "The Complete Book of Experimental Might".

It's flavored much like a strange amalgam of "Eberron", "Uresia: Grave of Heaven", "Thunderscape: World of Aden", "Everstone", "Iron Kingdoms", 'Arcanis", "Midgard", "Terah" and "Steampunk Musha". Think "Full Metal Alchemist" + "The Legend of Korra" but with arcane magic instead of of alchemy or bending.

It's actually a streamlined version of a much bigger kludge containing stuff like "FantasyCraft", "Trailblazer", "Iron Heroes" and about (I kid you not) 700 other books (I have a rather large collection between physical books and DriveThruRPG). I worked on it for 3 years and then scrapped it for my new system... It just got WAY too rules heavy.

My current game runs really rules light and it's a blast to play... glad my friends like it. I've been running the same world for 10 years now weekly and last year I just started a second game in the same world with different people, so I must be doing something right! The reason I even made this in the first place was because I was challenged by a friend to make a system that fit our world better than 3.5 (since our world suffered from a big gap between mechanics and story) WITHOUT using any homebrew (since we consider homebrew to be only stuff NOT published in a book).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
To be fair, the three purposes of a Star Wars game are to play a bathrobed warrior with a glowing sword, a pilot in a letter-shaped spaceship, or a dog with a laserbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, STR as D&D defines it is actually this very weird specific facet of overall strength that doesn't correspond to how muscles work in real life. It wasn't a conspiracy against fighters, either, it was just an accident brought about by cargo-culting D&D's mechanics. In old-school D&D, STR is important for melee fighting, lifting and carrying heavy things, and forcing doors open. That makes it really valuable in the context of D&D and not so much in a ton of other games in different genres.

Imagine what gaming could have been if Gygax had a gym membership.

• Locked thread