Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Condiv posted:

Apparently obama supporting a violent fascist coup in honduras doesn’t count for you

Or all the PoC who suffered domestically either. But then again, we've never really counted in America so why start now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

He didn't lead you into any new wars

Syria, Libya and Yemen aren't countries... :thunk:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

lol if you think US military forces weren't operating in those countries before 2009.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cingulate posted:

I think the ACA will have deep, lasting impact. It's a bad compromise, but consider what was before? I am quite sure you'll end up with something closer to ACA then the pre-ACA situation. lovely, yes. But the cat's out of the bag.
He didn't lead you into any new wars, and although this is a risky bet, I think this will also be the measure for future presidents: better or worse than Obama's drone strikes? Drone warfare is bad, but it's so much less bad than Afghanistan or Iraq.
That's honestly about what I expect from a Good US President: giving health care to a few tens of millions, and not starting any real new wars.

Beethoven was a better composer than me. Gobbeldygook is a better person than I am. Obama is a better politician than I am. I have better taste in spaceships than you. What's the issue?

The tax bill that is likely to pass tomorrow removes the Obamacare mandate. Without the mandate in place, every other provision in the ACA outside of medicaid expansion is dead. Without the mandate, the difference between a qualified health plan and a "health plan" become irrelevant. No one would buy "quasi health insurance that doesn't satisfy mandate and has lifetime caps" with the mandate in place. The real risk without the mandate isn't people dropping out of health insurance completely. It's people buying health insurance that wouldn't qualify for the mandate, and where there is nothing stopping insurers from adding back all the BS that the ACA removed. So the tax bill that is likely to pass tomorrow essentially makes everything other than medicaid expansion dead letter.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 17, 2017

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

lol if you think US military forces weren't operating in those countries before 2009.

I guess that means GWB did nothing wrong since we were in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. before 2001 then, eh?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

As far as I know we weren’t in any substantial way, at least in Libya and Syria.

I can’t speak for Yemen.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Horseshoe theory posted:

What Obama has not done is lead you into long-term engagement where hundreds of thousands or millions die and a whole region is destabilised. Which is a thing you guys do all the time.

joepinetree posted:

The tax bill that is likely to pass tomorrow removes the Obamacare mandate. Without the mandate in place, every other provision in the ACA outside of medicaid expansion is dead. Without the mandate, the difference between a qualified health plan and a "health plan" become irrelevant. No one would buy "quasi health insurance that doesn't satisfy mandate and has lifetime caps" with the mandate in place. The real risk without the mandate isn't people dropping out of health insurance completely. It's people buying health insurance that wouldn't qualify for the mandate, and where there is nothing stopping insurers from adding back all the BS that the ACA removed. So the tax bill that is likely to pass tomorrow essentially makes everything other than medicaid expansion dead letter.
Possible. But I predict 1. if the ACA actually dies, if the situation looks more like pre-ACA than like ACA, the GOP will suffer mightily; 2. this will probably not actually happen. Most states will be in a situation closer to the ACA than to pre-ACA times.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

What Obama has not done is lead you into long-term engagement where hundreds of thousands or millions die and a whole region is destabilised.

Except that Obama's proxy and not-so-proxy actions did lead to instable clusterfucks...? :raise:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Obama did some vaguely centrist-liberal stuff and your right-wing spectrum mostly lost their minds and elected a Shrieking White-Hot Sphere Of Pure Rage. What if he actually had nationalised a few banks and redistributed money towards Urban Poor People? "The white-hot sphere of pure rage literally couldn't rage any harder!" - I think you're being much too optimistic, it's quite possible it could. Maybe it would have won the popular vote or something.

I'm sure Obama is smarter than you or I and knows more things than you or I and worked harder than you or I can even imagine, and that's as much as he could do.

There is nothing in here to debate or discuss because it's just "the Lord works in mysterious ways" except with politicians.

Like I don't even know what the point of posting it even is, the rejection of evidence/logic/reality is built into the premise because any evidence contradicting your conclusion is just handwaved away with "well if we could only understand the fullness of the Divine, we would know how all these things exalt Him all the more"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure you just answered your own question.

And don’t talk to Cingulate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

In the fifteenth century, when Russia was occupied by Mongols, a peasant and his wife were walking along a dusty country road; a Mongol warrior on a horse stopped at their side and told the peasant he would now proceed to rape his wife; he then added: "But since there is a lot of dust on the ground, you must hold my testicles while I rape your wife, so that they will not get dirty!" Once the Mongol had done the deed and ridden away, the peasant started laughing and jumping with joy. His surprised wife asked: "how can you be jumping with joy when I was just brutally raped in your presence?" The farmer answered: "But I got him! His balls are covered with dust!"

Is today's critical Left not in a similar position?

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 18, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

We need to cut the balls.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

There is nothing in here to debate or discuss because it's just "the Lord works in mysterious ways" except with politicians.

Like I don't even know what the point of posting it even is, the rejection of evidence/logic/reality is built into the premise because any evidence contradicting your conclusion is just handwaved away with "well if we could only understand the fullness of the Divine, we would know how all these things exalt Him all the more"
I think the Trumpian view of politics - that it is simple, that the reason things are bad is the individuals making up the establishment simply don’t have the guts to do the right thing, that the good people are in principle United, but are betrayed by liberal elites - is wrong. Rather, the world is heterogenous and complicated and this makes politics hard.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That strawman isn't worth spending more than the five seconds it's taking me to write this post.

Criticizing Obama is not automatically Trumpy politics just because Trump happens to also criticize the same man jfc

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

That strawman isn't worth spending more than the five seconds it's taking me to write this post.

Criticizing Obama is not automatically Trumpy politics just because Trump happens to also criticize the same man jfc
Not just the same man - the same criticism, the same idea of politics.

I guess that's what people mean by "populism"?

Whatever - whomever you attribute it to, however you label it - I think it's wrong.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I've never seen elitism combined with anti-intellectualism to quite this degree before, it's really something to behold.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Falstaff posted:

I've never seen elitism combined with anti-intellectualism to quite this degree before, it's really something to behold.

full-on "marvel, do not think"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look, obviously this whole politics thing is just too hard to be understood by us peons, which is why I'm definitely able to say that Obama did all he possibly could.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

Not just the same man - the same criticism, the same idea of politics.

I guess that's what people mean by "populism"?

Whatever - whomever you attribute it to, however you label it - I think it's wrong.

Why don't you just stop beating around the bush and just openly call people who criticize Obama Trump supporters? It's obciously what you want. Trying to soften the impact of your stupid equivocating by dressing it up with useless rhetorical filler is just waiting everybody's time.

You are also wrong.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randlr posted:

Why don't you just stop beating around the bush and just openly call people who criticize Obama Trump supporters?
If I wanted to call people names, I would :(

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

my sweet, tender german boy

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
TB's ban was complete bullshit and I'm deeply disappointed by it.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

A lovely Reporter posted:

TB's ban was complete bullshit and I'm deeply disappointed by it.

yeah totally what kind of monster permabans someone who gets banned 7 times and probated 32 times in a calendar year?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

self unaware posted:

yeah totally what kind of monster permabans someone who gets banned 7 times and probated 32 times in a calendar year?

How many reregs this year are you up to?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

How many reregs this year are you up to?

1, its not that really hard to figure out considering i name myself after my previous ban

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cingulate posted:

No, of course not, he made a bunch for sure.

But look at this interview, in particular the section on the ACA. He's describing how it came to be: he's come to realise there will be zero cooperation with the GOP. None, just sabotage. So he has to "work democrats". And he's trying to convince people to vote for policies that will cost them reelection. And he gets a bunch of them, and eventually, Romneycare is made law under his name, and it's A Good Thing from what I can tell, and it cost a few democrats reelection. So he was working really hard, and what came out of it was something as watered down as the ACA.
That's what it seems to me are the realities of the situation: there's a lot of very different people who have some kind of say on the matter, voters on the left, voters on the right, his own politicians, the other side, a bunch of judges, and so on. And he has to find some coalition that will work at all. He couldn't just say, "ok people, go eat the rich, you have my blessing". Not that he would have wanted to; but I don't see how he could have gotten the votes and the support.

(E.: look at this current administration. Surely, they're loving up stuff all around, but I don't think anybody is getting what they want, policy wise, and they have the president and both houses. You think the wall is going up any time soon?)

This reads incredibly naive - "get this, the US isn't a dictatorship!" - I know you know all this. But then, proclaiming in hindsight how easy it would have been to go left, that also seems rather naive to me.
Considering people like Marie Curie, who won two Nobels, or Albert Einstein, who won his not even for Relativity, I'd be happy with a definition of 'genius' such as "person very susceptible to having many genius ideas across one or multiple domains". Beethoven didn't just write one good piece of music, he won again and again and again.
And I don't see from what angle you'd classify Obama's brains as anything but exceptional.

The issue with this logic is it can be used to defend literally any inaction on the part of politicians. There will never come a time when you can't argue "well, X is smart and there's a plausible-sounding motivation for them not doing Y."

Also, even if you assume that you're correct, the only way to possibly change the circumstances where (for example) Obama's actions were the best actions possible is to project differing public opinion that convinces politicians different ideas are possible. So even under your assumptions, it doesn't make sense to argue against people condemning Obama for inaction. If everyone said "well, I'm sure that X politician did the best that could be expected" nothing would ever change. People need to send the message that they're unsatisfied and convince politicians that doing the things they want is a better option than not doing so.

Regarding Obama specifically, there are very good reasons to believe he was never particularly left-leaning politically and, even if he could do literally anything, he wouldn't pursue left-wing policies. Everything indicates that Obama genuinely appreciates and prefers things like bipartisanship and what have you. More generally speaking, I would bet money that most high level Democratic politicians genuinely like and value the opinions of liberal-leaning business executives and what have you. They fundamentally do not view, say, Democratic-voting finance CEOs as harmful or bad in any way.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Guys Obama only rode in on the biggest wave of public discontent since Vietnam, obviously he had zero leverage and just had to roll over and take it even on stuff that the President has full control over. Really the best he could do, pinky swear.

After all, if he had tried to do anything more, the GOP might have taken over every level of government, and then where would we be?

But can you literally go back in time and somehow magically prove that he could have done things differently?

Heh, didn't think so. :smuggo:

Cingulate posted:

Well yes, but 1. he's smarter than you or I in those aspects that matter for these purposes, 2. he's probably also superior in most of the ones that don't.
Generally speaking, there's a sizeable correlation between all of the fields of intelligence.

Being technically skilled does not imply having good judgement or ideology. I'm sure that, say, Jamie Dimon is a very intelligent person. He is also a bad person whose goals and beliefs are at odds with the well being of the American public. In Obama's case, he obviously genuinely values stupid things like bipartisanship. Like any culture, American politician culture has its share of commonly held ideas and beliefs, and many of them are stupid.

edit: Also I kind of doubt the premise that Obama is even exceptionally academically smart to the extent that no one posting in this thread is comparable. Like, I would not be surprised if there are people posting here who had higher SAT scores or better grades than Obama (and it wouldn't imply they have better judgement regardless).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 18, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

self unaware posted:

1, its not that really hard to figure out considering i name myself after my previous ban

A swing and a miss

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
People crying about Obama while forgetting what it was a step up from. :discourse:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ganson posted:

People crying about Obama while forgetting what it was a step up from. :discourse:

this would be a real good point if dems weren't trying to rehabilitate gwb

oh wait, no it wouldn't cause just because gwb was poo poo doesn't mean we can't criticize obama's failings

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 19, 2017

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

im sure glad obama was a step up from all the executive overreaches of gwb, you know the stuff congressional obstruction couldnt get in the way of him fixing, like use of executive privilege, drone strikes, nsa surveillance, mass immigrant deporta

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

The issue with this logic is it can be used to defend literally any inaction on the part of politicians. There will never come a time when you can't argue "well, X is smart and there's a plausible-sounding motivation for them not doing Y."

Also, even if you assume that you're correct, the only way to possibly change the circumstances where (for example) Obama's actions were the best actions possible is to project differing public opinion that convinces politicians different ideas are possible. So even under your assumptions, it doesn't make sense to argue against people condemning Obama for inaction. If everyone said "well, I'm sure that X politician did the best that could be expected" nothing would ever change. People need to send the message that they're unsatisfied and convince politicians that doing the things they want is a better option than not doing so.

Regarding Obama specifically, there are very good reasons to believe he was never particularly left-leaning politically and, even if he could do literally anything, he wouldn't pursue left-wing policies. Everything indicates that Obama genuinely appreciates and prefers things like bipartisanship and what have you. More generally speaking, I would bet money that most high level Democratic politicians genuinely like and value the opinions of liberal-leaning business executives and what have you. They fundamentally do not view, say, Democratic-voting finance CEOs as harmful or bad in any way.

But can you literally go back in time and somehow magically prove that he could have done things differently?

Heh, didn't think so. :smuggo:
Hm, I surely shouldn't be making the point that Obama should be beyond criticism or that people who want leftist policies shouldn't demand them, and I don't think I did. What I wanted to say was, it's fair to accuse Obama of not being sufficiently leftist (he isn't very leftist, he's a moderate), but it's naive to attack him as ineffective from the position that it would have been very easy for him to enact super leftist policies. It seemingly was very hard for him to pass something as compromising as the ACA. I don't see how passing anything substantively more leftist than that would have been a cakewalk.

So yes, I agree he isn't particularly left leaning. But that's a different issue. My point is, there were, by necessity, a lot of people involved in each of his political acts he had to deal with, and usually, a lot of these people were not very leftist either.

Ytlaya posted:

Being technically skilled does not imply having good judgement or ideology. I'm sure that, say, Jamie Dimon is a very intelligent person. He is also a bad person whose goals and beliefs are at odds with the well being of the American public. In Obama's case, he obviously genuinely values stupid things like bipartisanship.
And I agree with him on that. Sure, it might at times make you less effective in pushing through your own agenda. But if your own values include respecting those who disagree with you, then it might be consistent to compromise even if it ends up not contributing to general welfare as much.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Also I kind of doubt the premise that Obama is even exceptionally academically smart to the extent that no one posting in this thread is comparable. Like, I would not be surprised if there are people posting here who had higher SAT scores or better grades than Obama (and it wouldn't imply they have better judgement regardless).
Well he's a law professor, I think that counts as "exceptionally academically smart". Sure, he possibly couldn't get a PhD in physics. But as you say, there's also judgement, and there's dedication, and communication skills, and just broad-range ability to pick up on concepts outside your focus, which he to me appears to excel at. This should not be confused with him being insufficiently leftist, a completely different issue.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ganson posted:

a step up in deportations maybe

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ganson posted:

it turns out not all of us view destroying half the wealth of the black community to give to the richest Americans as something to fistpump over

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

it turns out not all of us view destroying half the wealth of the black community to give to the richest Americans as something to fistpump over

It's kind of funny how you can just do a "find and replace" to that Tom Tomorrow (I think? can't remember if he did it) Reagan cartoon (the one with the people talking about how inspirational, etc, Reagan was despite the bad stuff he did) for a bunch of liberals with respect to Democratic presidents, particularly charismatic ones like Clinton or Obama.

Cingulate posted:

Hm, I surely shouldn't be making the point that Obama should be beyond criticism or that people who want leftist policies shouldn't demand them, and I don't think I did. What I wanted to say was, it's fair to accuse Obama of not being sufficiently leftist (he isn't very leftist, he's a moderate), but it's naive to attack him as ineffective from the position that it would have been very easy for him to enact super leftist policies. It seemingly was very hard for him to pass something as compromising as the ACA. I don't see how passing anything substantively more leftist than that would have been a cakewalk.

The issue I think most people have is that he didn't even try to pass anything better or more ambitious (because, as you mentioned, he isn't actually very left-leaning ideologically). If he had visibly attempted to either pass something better (or at least talked about it in order to increase its perception as possible/"mainstream"*) I don't think most people on the left would have responded as negatively.

* As we saw work quite well with Bernie Sanders and single payer, which is now viewed as plausible by many people who used to not even consider it

Cingulate posted:

And I agree with him on that. Sure, it might at times make you less effective in pushing through your own agenda. But if your own values include respecting those who disagree with you, then it might be consistent to compromise even if it ends up not contributing to general welfare as much.

It's consistent, sure, but it's still bad and he should absolutely be faulted for it. Bipartisanship should be something you resort to when all else fails and you have no choice in order to accomplish something necessary. It shouldn't be something actively valued and sought out, at least as long as Republicans are on the other side of that equation. There is no reason to respect Republicans. That isn't a good value to have. A lot of liberal values have this privileged angle to them where the goal is for people to feel proud of their own intelligence and open-mindedness, even if the end result is worse for many people.

Cingulate posted:

Well he's a law professor, I think that counts as "exceptionally academically smart". Sure, he possibly couldn't get a PhD in physics. But as you say, there's also judgement, and there's dedication, and communication skills, and just broad-range ability to pick up on concepts outside your focus, which he to me appears to excel at. This should not be confused with him being insufficiently leftist, a completely different issue.

Most high level politicians have a relatively high level of credentials, but being a law professor (or whatever) doesn't in any way imply being a skilled politician. A person's values/ideology can also influence their efficacy. For example, Obama's valuing of bipartisanship could have negatively impacted his ability to accomplish more (or at least set the stage for future Democratic administrations to accomplish more). Not to mention the fact that being a skilled politician has multiple aspects to it; Hillary Clinton was apparently good at making connections politically, but bad at the charisma angle (that Obama was good at). She was also a highly credentialed person, but that didn't magically give her that skill.

Also, this sort of reasoning is basically circular, where you decide highly credentialed people are intelligent because they're highly credentialed. This logical framework literally doesn't allow for the possibility that incompetent people could ever become highly credentialed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

E: wrong thread

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Edit: NM

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

I've seen this "destroying black wealth" phrase in reference to Obama a lot today and I'm not sure what it's in reference to. What should I look into to find out what that means? (This is a serious question--I'm uneducated on the topic so this is legitimately the first time I've seen this phrase as a specific policy issue.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

I've seen this "destroying black wealth" phrase in reference to Obama a lot today and I'm not sure what it's in reference to. What should I look into to find out what that means? (This is a serious question--I'm uneducated on the topic so this is legitimately the first time I've seen this phrase as a specific policy issue.)

The People's Policy Project (one of the few actually leftist think tanks) just released a new well researched report on the topic that's stoking conversation: http://peoplespolicyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Foreclosed.pdf

quote:

The Obama presidency was a disaster for middle-class wealth in the United States: Between 2007 and 2016, the average wealth of the bottom 99% decreased by $4,500. This decline was particularly concentrated among the housing wealth of African Americans. Outside of home equity, black wealth recovered its 2007 level by 2016. But average black home equity was still $16,700 less. Meanwhile, over the same period, the average wealth of the top 1% increased by $4.9 million. Much of this decline in wealth, we argue, was the direct result of policies enacted by President Obama. His housing policies, particularly regarding foreclosures, were a disastrous failure that led to millions of families losing their homes, with black families suffering especially harsh losses. What’s more, Obama had power—money, legislative tools, and legal leverage—that could have very sharply ameliorated the foreclosure crisis, if not largely prevented it. He chose not to use them.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

The issue I think most people have is that he didn't even try to pass anything better or more ambitious (because, as you mentioned, he isn't actually very left-leaning ideologically).
I think that's a fair critique. All I'm saying, it probably wouldn't have been easy to do that, and maybe not possible at all.

Ytlaya posted:

* As we saw work quite well with Bernie Sanders and single payer, which is now viewed as plausible by many people who used to not even consider it
I'm not particularly informed about this, but isn't it possible the relative success of the ACA is doing a lot of work here? Essentially showing people having health care surprisingly does not entail gulags.

Ytlaya posted:

It's consistent, sure, but it's still bad and he should absolutely be faulted for it. Bipartisanship should be something you resort to when all else fails and you have no choice in order to accomplish something necessary. It shouldn't be something actively valued and sought out, at least as long as Republicans are on the other side of that equation. There is no reason to respect Republicans. That isn't a good value to have. A lot of liberal values have this privileged angle to them where the goal is for people to feel proud of their own intelligence and open-mindedness, even if the end result is worse for many people.
What about legitimacy? The more of a consensus decision something is, the harder it will be to get rid of it when the power changes. It seems Republicans right now find it damningly hard to sell their voters on getting rid of the ACA, especially considering how all of them campaigned on some sort of "repeal and replace with Mad Max everyone for themselves libertopia".

Ytlaya posted:

Most high level politicians have a relatively high level of credentials, but being a law professor (or whatever) doesn't in any way imply being a skilled politician. A person's values/ideology can also influence their efficacy. For example, Obama's valuing of bipartisanship could have negatively impacted his ability to accomplish more
I think he himself is saying so - that it was often a mistake on his part to try and work across the aisle. Yes, it was probably naive of him to expect cooperation ...

Ytlaya posted:

Also, this sort of reasoning is basically circular, where you decide highly credentialed people are intelligent because they're highly credentialed. This logical framework literally doesn't allow for the possibility that incompetent people could ever become highly credentialed.
I don't think so: I'm not trying to say "that the task is hard is proved by Obama, who is competent, failing at it". I am saying, if something seems easy to you (and it is my impression this is what people are saying itt- that it would have been easy to be much more leftist than Obama was!), and a seemingly competent person fails at it, then you should consider if maybe you were wrong and it actually was hard. You can also reconsider if your assessment of the person was wrong, but I think you should definitely consider the first option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Harrow posted:

https://jacobinmag.com/2017/12/obama-foreclosure-crisis-wealth-inequality

Short version was that Obama's reaction to the financial crisis was set up to shore up banks, not home owners. That, coupled with lax enforcement of laws, allowed banks to foreclose, sometimes illegally, millions of homeowners. Which disproportionately affected black homeowners and substantially increased the racial wealth gap.

• Locked thread