Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I wouldn't do it with metallic paints, but a lot of hobby acrylics are pretty harmless. Vallejo in particular tend to have surprisingly floral compositions.

Symetrique posted:

lol if you cant tell Mr Color paints apart by taste

You're probably going to melt your tongue off, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Neurolimal posted:

I wouldn't do it with metallic paints, but a lot of hobby acrylics are pretty harmless. Vallejo in particular tend to have surprisingly floral compositions.

Just hope your bottle isn't older than about 2013 or so, since a bunch of them have cadmium pigments!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst Issue 22

We finally get to take a break from roof related shenanigans and deal with the bow and stern of the ship instead.

For these we receive 2 plastic mouldings each which are epoxy-glued together and onto the ends of the hull. This is where the decision to use MDF to form the hull starts to make sense, because fit is absolutely perfect. These parts will make the planking of the hull (should we eventually start it at some point) infinitely easier. I'm usually not a big fan of plastic, but for these sections it makes things so much easier that I'm ok with it. Other options how these sections are done in other ships of this type are ceramic prefabs (prone to break, usually major fit issues) or building up the sections with layered plates of wood then sanding that block smooth (torturous work that usually ends in less than satisfying results)

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Looks cool! I'm curious though, how do you plank a battleship? Does the planking give you a base to attach a smooth outer hull to?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

A little vignette I've been working on, downed US pilot in the Pacific. Its a resin vignette made by Verlinden that was given to my father waaaaay back in the day by mr. Verlinden himself. Going to give it to my father as a Christmas present.

All painted with Vallejo acrylics. Only some detail painting left, then washes to make the details pop. Afterwards I'll use some Vallejo acrylic water products to make the water more realistic.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Molentik posted:

A little vignette I've been working on, downed US pilot in the Pacific. Its a resin vignette made by Verlinden that was given to my father waaaaay back in the day by mr. Verlinden himself. Going to give it to my father as a Christmas present.

All painted with Vallejo acrylics. Only some detail painting left, then washes to make the details pop. Afterwards I'll use some Vallejo acrylic water products to make the water more realistic.

Looks great!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Molentik posted:

Great shading on that.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Finally finished it. Not 100% happy (lots of sloppy detail painting etc) but calling it done it a big step for me. Otherwise I' ll just keep slapping paint on and that usually ruins the whole thing.

This vignette was quite tricky to paint at times, it is cast as a single block of resin. All in all it was a nice piece to practise on I think!

Now back to painting splinter camo in 1/35....

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks great to me. I love the effect of water on the floor of the boat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Molentik posted:

Finally finished it. Not 100% happy (lots of sloppy detail painting etc) but calling it done it a big step for me. Otherwise I' ll just keep slapping paint on and that usually ruins the whole thing.

This vignette was quite tricky to paint at times, it is cast as a single block of resin. All in all it was a nice piece to practise on I think!

Now back to painting splinter camo in 1/35....

Lil' dude looks blazed. Great job!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm really torn, I've been on-and-off interested in model railways since I was a nipper, and now I'm moving into a new home that backs onto a railway line. I've done some research and realised I can model the old station that the line connects to in exact 1:76 scale and even buy the trains that would have run on it way back in 1899. I just don't know if I can justify the cost and space - 11 feet!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So those Chris Foss inspired discussions a while back inspired me, too.

Just some touch ups and gloss to go. I do wonder if I should silver out the engine intakes to break up the :catdrugs:

quote:

Play by play:

This is the test piece

Color pallete

Color Pass

All masked up

Dark pass:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The A-10 for some reason makes me think of a 90's slap on bracelet but the Eldar poo poo looks great and very Chris Fossy, which oddly suits eldar design. I think the finer pattern and more high science fantasy design works better for it.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Southern Heel posted:

I'm really torn, I've been on-and-off interested in model railways since I was a nipper, and now I'm moving into a new home that backs onto a railway line. I've done some research and realised I can model the old station that the line connects to in exact 1:76 scale and even buy the trains that would have run on it way back in 1899. I just don't know if I can justify the cost and space - 11 feet!

Selective compression is your friend.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Selective compression is your friend.

Also a more powerful and sexy scale, like 1:160

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

It is well known that 1/6 is the sexiest scale. Not sure how that works for trains though....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Molentik posted:

It is well known that 1/6 is the sexiest scale. Not sure how that works for trains though....

Okay, sir, we're gonna have to ask you to take a seat over here and remain at least 100 meters away from schools at all times from now on :aatrek:.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Buy a house with a reeeeally big garden and go full 15 inch track gauge.

e: That is not in one person's garden. It runs through several towns and was built for fun privately initially and now runs public services and gala days. Funnily enough it does run between the back gardens of several residential areas. RH&DR

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 17, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Buy a house with a reeeeally big garden and go full 15 inch track gauge.

e: That is not in one person's garden. It runs through several towns and was built for fun privately initially and now runs public services and gala days. Funnily enough it does run between the back gardens of several residential areas. RH&DR

quote:

In 1940 the railway was taken over by the military during World War II, and a miniature armoured train was used on the line

:3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's a picture of it too :allears:

Look at that adorable little war machine.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Its still there, usually in a siding by New Romney station and sometimes they do little re-enactments with it. :)

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a picture of it too :allears:

Look at that adorable little war machine.

If it's the same one, it actually "shot down" an aircraft, which basically thought it was strafing a full-sized train and didn't pull up in time after a strafe.

Edit: its actually credited with 3 downed aircraft.

N17R4M fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 17, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

And I was about to make a joke about the scale throwing off Luftwaffe aerial photography :stare:

Gonna go find and ride that train next time I'm in England

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Well we got there eventually - the Nautilus is finished (if we resist the urge to continue tinkering which I am very much trying not to do at this point).

It is exceedingly hard to photograph unfortunately, even in daylight, but this is what I was able to get. The darker shot done at night-time makes it look like the lights glow through the hull all over the place, which they do very faintly but nothing like they appear in the photo. Unfortunately it was something we discovered too late in the build to do anything about it otherwise we would have coated the inside of the sub pieces in black paint to try and mitigate it. That said, it is barely visible in the flesh unless you're looking for it. Overall pretty satisfied with how it all turned out, and again although we couldn't get it on camera, the cabin looks fantastic through the windows so glad we stuck with the originals!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kerro posted:

Well we got there eventually - the Nautilus is finished (if we resist the urge to continue tinkering which I am very much trying not to do at this point).

It is exceedingly hard to photograph unfortunately, even in daylight, but this is what I was able to get. The darker shot done at night-time makes it look like the lights glow through the hull all over the place, which they do very faintly but nothing like they appear in the photo. Unfortunately it was something we discovered too late in the build to do anything about it otherwise we would have coated the inside of the sub pieces in black paint to try and mitigate it. That said, it is barely visible in the flesh unless you're looking for it. Overall pretty satisfied with how it all turned out, and again although we couldn't get it on camera, the cabin looks fantastic through the windows so glad we stuck with the originals!

WONDERFUL!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
loving awesome! Amazing work on everything. Really like the light shafts through the water too.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Kerro posted:

Superb. The dio itself is great, but the presentation really seals it.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

DiHK posted:

So those Chris Foss inspired discussions a while back inspired me, too.

Just some touch ups and gloss to go. I do wonder if I should silver out the engine intakes to break up the :catdrugs:

Oh hell yes. This works so well for Eldar.

I've been working on a tiny little Russian.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks awesome! Is that 1:72nd scale?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Yup trumpeter T54B in 1:72. Also have the T55 with plough next.

Edit. I've been trying to learn and emulate one of my favourite 1:72 modellers 'Buba Wagon Zawod'. Who does work like this.

Either him or Iao Kit. Crazy stuff.

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 18, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I feel like my hands would be so big for those 1/72. They're so cute though.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dragon stuff is overpriced because for a short while they were top of the heap. Late 90's or so, people were getting sick of the same 30 year old Tamiya kits being rereleased annually with a new part or two. Dragon burst on the scene with a lot of fresh new kits, and much better detail than the older Tamiya stuff.

People were temporarily dazzled enough to ignore their terrible instructions and overengineered builds. So they could charge what they wanted. These days though people are getting sick of their kits with too many parts, instructions that cram 10 steps into one step, and better and cheaper offerings from companies like Meng, Hobby Boss, Trumpeter, and Takom.

They're stillbsticking to their high prices though, and that will bite them in the rear end eventually. That, and the fact they release a billion kits a year doesn't help.

Dragon kit quality is all over the place but a general rule I’ve found is that the initial release of a particular subject is usually good but then they release several half-assed variations with insane steps like: cut off a return roller, reattach it 15mm away, and then fill the giant hole.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
In a fit of stupidity impulsiveness, I bought the Revell 1/144 USS Fletcher Platinum model kit complete with PE and the whole nine yards.

I've never done a ship model before, but am on a major Pacific kick and would like to give this one a go. I'm familiar with PE, I'm familiar with big models, but have only ever done aircraft and armor. Anyone have any good guides to building model ships like this? Googling mostly gets me guides on how to build age-of-sail stuff, which is a different beast altogether.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

Also a more powerful and sexy scale, like 1:160

Or just go to a bigger building like our club. 150' x 50' should do the trick, but I still ask them about double-decking the layout from time to time.
E: For shits and grins, minimum radius on the mainline is 42", with one or two curves coming in around 96".

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Frenz posted:

Dragon kit quality is all over the place but a general rule I’ve found is that the initial release of a particular subject is usually good but then they release several half-assed variations with insane steps like: cut off a return roller, reattach it 15mm away, and then fill the giant hole.

Somewhat reminded of the AFV Club instructions for my Stryker MGS I bought a few years back at how utterly confusing its layout was.
The fact that then it then also referenced paints that didn't seemingly exist either wasn't that much of a help either. :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Frenz posted:

Haha, yeah, what kind of company would release a kit requiring the builder chop off and reorient parts that could have just been modular from the start...

(Not defending Dragon, just found it funny)

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

the Eldar poo poo looks great and very Chris Fossy, which oddly suits eldar design.

Tentacle Party posted:

Oh hell yes. This works so well for Eldar.

At the onset I thought about T'au, Necrons, Dark Eldar and 'nids but for the obvious design reasons I had to settle on Eldar. I'm both excited and dreading doing the geometric pattern Foss stuff on the Shining Spears.

But blues and metals.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm back to having time to put models together finally. Has anyone done the 1:48 Tamiya F-14A? I wasn't sure if it was worth grabbing the color photo etch from Eduard for the cockpit or the Brassin cockpit kit from them.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Huggable Bear King posted:

Looks cool! I'm curious though, how do you plank a battleship? Does the planking give you a base to attach a smooth outer hull to?

Kits of this type are usually planked just a like a sailing vessel would be, that is one layer of wooden planking to establish a base, another layer with a thin veneer to get a smooth surface. The difference is that that surface is then smothered with filler, sanded, sanded, sanded, sanded, primed and painted. The end result should hopefully be a mostly smooth layer that does not look like wood anymore. Of course in real life these steel surfaces are anything but babysmooth, they just look like it from afar. There's usually major bumps and dings all over the place on the actual ship.

Scharnhorst issue 23

Back to roofs. This time we receive the first two upper deck plates. Those are just loosely laid down on the hull for now. The designers surprise me again, but this time in a positive way. There are cutouts in the plates to simply stick the deck structures into. Proper Fit and sit of the deck structures is usually a huge pain in the behind so this solution is nothing short of genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I built a Tristar Panzer IV ausf D