Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not sure if anyone here uses ShareFile, but if so, a heads up. They're "consolidating plans" which turns into a >50% cost increase for us. We pay yearly, but apparently if you don't respond to their emails trying to schedule a "change of plan" with them, they'll do it automatically, even if you're signed up for a year, and prorate you the difference.

I kinda just laughed at the account rep and told him good luck with all that, we will be moving off of your product. In all my years, I don't think I've ever even heard of a >50% cost increase for a service in a year's timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’ve barely gotten any work done today because I’m dealing with my car probably being totaled and now I’m in a meeting that is half an hour over and I haven’t heard back from the shop and I know they’re probably going to lowball me because Subarus are way more valuable in CO than pretty much anywhere else.

And I’ve got a shitload to get done by the end of Monday so I’m probably staying late on a Friday.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ve barely gotten any work done today because I’m dealing with my car probably being totaled and now I’m in a meeting that is half an hour over and I haven’t heard back from the shop and I know they’re probably going to lowball me because Subarus are way more valuable in CO than pretty much anywhere else.

And I’ve got a shitload to get done by the end of Monday so I’m probably staying late on a Friday.

Get comps from craigslist and local dealers and fight the insurance company. Subis are stupidly overpriced in CO.
Also enjoy staying late on friday :cheers:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I found one in the entire state of my model and year in working order. It has 240,000 miles (mine had 207500) and is asking $2500. I searched every Craigslist in my state, Autotrader, everything. The one with a broken axle was asking $1000.

Nice thing is if I buy it back to fix up (simple suspension work with cheap parts, just time consuming) my neighbor who is a manager at a towing company offered to tow it for $205, which is amazing for 60 miles. He also offered to let me use his garage.

The parts I know I’ll need are like $150 off of RockAuto, I’ll find out if anything else is broken when the shop is done.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
So it looks like I'll be :yotj: shortly after we close on our house. Presidio was able to match my salary plus other benefits bring it above my current total comp, and I'll be able to work on more complex poo poo. Hello NSX and ACI as soon as I start :D

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sepist posted:

So it looks like I'll be :yotj: shortly after we close on our house. Presidio was able to match my salary plus other benefits bring it above my current total comp, and I'll be able to work on more complex poo poo. Hello NSX and ACI as soon as I start :D

Nice. That's a hell of a good way to end a week!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Irritated Goat posted:

Hi. I'm career depressed. How are you?

Happy as gently caress that I was able to retire last year.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Internet Explorer posted:

In all my years, I don't think I've ever even heard of a >50% cost increase for a service in a year's timeframe.
Atlassian pulled this a few years ago with Confluence.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's for our contract specifically, but I've been told that somehow our costs for ServiceNow are increasing 5x on the next contract. Apparently we were signed in at some ludicrous legacy rate and someone at ServiceNow finally said no more. I'm sure this brings us into line with their other customers, but as an individual client, being told that you're going to be paying five times as much for something will definitely get you looking at options.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

I'd put in for a better job (currently senior tech, and put in for sysadmin)

it was between me (the guy who's increased tech efficiency for the department with tangible results), and the data guy who's shared an office with who's now our boss and gets lunch with him every day. lateral move for him.

they obviously went for the boss' friend.

bonus points : i'm selling and buying a house and have been at it for months. everything's boiling down to (probably) getting early access a few days before christmas, and needing to close the sale of my house the day after christmas... and needing to close the purchase of the new place the day after that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Irritated Goat posted:

Yay :sigh: I get to figure out what I want to do in IT besides being a generalist cause it's getting me nowhere and I need the pay bump very badly.

I really don't lean towards anything but "Is my network trying to get to best practices and is not horribly broken in some fashion?". I'm OK at most junior sysadmin junk but so far that hasn't got me more than 45k\yr in my city. I can't relocate and I feel unqualified for a lot of better stuff. It also doesn't help I'm paying $600\mo in benefits for my family but a 40 yr old helpdesk\wannabe junior admin is kind of deflating for where my career is headed.

I've been unemployed for over a year now. My career may have died, and I can't even start over in entry level because I can't seem to put in an application without admitting I made 75k a year before, which rules me out of low paying jobs.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

RFC2324 posted:

I've been unemployed for over a year now. My career may have died, and I can't even start over in entry level because I can't seem to put in an application without admitting I made 75k a year before, which rules me out of low paying jobs.

Why are you telling people what you made? Don’t do that.

poo poo it’s against the law in ny as I saw recently

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

jaegerx posted:

Why are you telling people what you made? Don’t do that.

poo poo it’s against the law in ny as I saw recently

its a mandatory field is most of the online applications i see

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

RFC2324 posted:

Then lie. If you need a job you need a job. My answer is always when someone asks for salary is that I can’t disclose it due to company policy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sepist posted:

NSX is cool, ACI is kind of a nightmare, have fun!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

RFC2324 posted:

I put all zeros or all nines and if they call they call.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
New fun law being proposed in Arizona:
https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/53leg/2R/bills/sb1011p.htm

A. A person who acts without authority or who exceeds authorization of use commits computer tampering by:
9. KNOWINGLY USING OR DEPLOYING ANY COMPUTER OR COMPUTER SOFTWARE THAT CONCEALS THE COMPUTER OR COMPUTER SOFTWARE'S REAL IDENTITY TO SIMULATE OR IMPERSONATE THE ACTIONS OF A HUMAN.
Computer tampering pursuant to subsection A, paragraph 7, 8 OR 9 of this section is a class 6 felony.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NSX sounds like hardcore ACLs for virtual machine. I sort of see why you'd do this but holy hell it seems like overkill.

On a side note, I'm sort of going towards career depression. My biggest problem is that I'm not learning anything I'm just putting out fires that have been created by others. I know this is bad but part of me of me wants to take big pay decrease and switch over to just become some entry level Linux system admin at $50k/y.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 16, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Iron Rose posted:

Well, our ticketing/task management system and internal intranet went down due to third party vendor issues.

So... guess we're not getting any work done for the rest of the day.

Both our Intranet and ticket system both go down practically every week, the bonus being its JIRA as well so it fucks over QA, Programming, etc as well.

I've got another one-to-one with the boss on Monday, so I might put it forward again that our lack of network monitoring is a real big fuckin' problem when our only alert system is someone coming along saying "X is broke".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It Atlassian's :yaycloud: offering still just an instance of their Java-powered software running in EC2 or whatever?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

It Atlassian's :yaycloud: offering still just an instance of their Java-powered software running in EC2 or whatever?

As far as I can tell yes. We were getting slowdowns and asked them to provision us up but they told us that they couldn’t with no details. You can’t actually talk to anyone there without paying more money so we pressed our sales rep until he caved and told us we’d need an outage to get more memory but not why. Sure man take us down so you can change the instance type.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So I spent quite a bit of time writing up a report about why moving certain aspects of our business to the cloud would be a waste of time and money. I had figures, research, cost analysis, etc and gave it to my boss (IT Director) and he gave it to the president of one of our subsidiaries, since he's been pushing cloud since he loving started for some goddamned reason.

His reply: "The cloud is what everyone is moving to, are you ignorant?".

Jackass.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GreenNight posted:

So I spent quite a bit of time writing up a report about why moving certain aspects of our business to the cloud would be a waste of time and money. I had figures, research, cost analysis, etc and gave it to my boss (IT Director) and he gave it to the president of one of our subsidiaries, since he's been pushing cloud since he loving started for some goddamned reason.

Jackass.

You are wasting company's money, are you ignorant?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

NSX sounds like hardcore ACLs for virtual machine. I sort of see why you'd do this but holy hell it seems like overkill.

You can’t see why decoupling security policy from network topology is useful? And it’s not ACLs, it’s stateful firewall. And also network function virtualization and automation and layer 2 overlay.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GreenNight posted:

Jackass.
This kind of situation is why I think I'm done contributing anything of substance at my job. Will do the bare minimum, not get fired, and be in the lab if you need me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Jackass.

Rather than fighting the tide you should probably just get on board and be happy to get experience developing skills that will be far more useful and lucrative in the future than managing in prem infrastructure.

Since you can’t win the cloud fight try to win the “let’s do cloud the right way” fight.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Rather than fighting the tide you should probably just get on board and be happy to get experience developing skills that will be far more useful and lucrative in the future than managing in prem infrastructure.

Since you can’t win the cloud fight try to win the “let’s do cloud the right way” fight.

The guy who is pushing it sounds reasonable I’m sure this will be all best practice for sure.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Does anyone feel like NOT documenting complex systems should an acquisition occur and they want to 'insure' a decent retention bonus?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Virigoth posted:

The guy who is pushing it sounds reasonable I’m sure this will be all best practice for sure.

The guy who is pushing it has no idea what “the cloud” is and won’t be making technical decisions. He just knows that cool, cutting-edge companies run in the cloud and they want to be a cool cutting-edge company, ergo, to the cloud. The person saying “the cloud is stupid and we shouldn’t do this,” also won’t be making technical decisions. He’s already been overruled.

The person saying “okay, here’s how we move this stuff to the cloud in the correct and forward thinking manner under your visionary leadership” might have some technical input though, and that’s the best way to try and extract some value out of a bad situation.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can’t see why decoupling security policy from network topology is useful? And it’s not ACLs, it’s stateful firewall. And also network function virtualization and automation and layer 2 overlay.

I get the first part but it sounds like I really don't understand VCX at all.

GreenNight posted:

Jackass.

Despite being a :cloud: consultant I'll admit that many of the current offerings are essentially brand new, bug ridden and no one really knows what they're doing. There's some sense into using what's been proven but good luck going against management and the sales team of whichever vendor.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sepist posted:

Neither NSX nor ACI has impressed me so I'd be interested to hear your take on them. NSX looks like a solution for a very niche problem (tenant VMs in enterprise networks) that requires a ton of policy resources thrown at it to make sure it doesn't become an absolute hell mess. ACI seems like the same thing except at the network layer instead of within the hypervisor.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have two examples I use for cloud, and if your business can't handle either of these scenarios in an on-prem infrastructure, cloud is probably going to be a big boondoggle. I would love peer review on these examples to help me not sound like an idiot while talking about cloud.

1. Weekend report
You have a weekly report that's done by accounting, you collect data all week long, and then some big server does the calculations on Saturday. It has to be done by Sunday. When the server was built, it was a six hour task, but now it's taking 12-15 hours even after upgrading hardware, but it's too expensive to have some megaserver sitting around doing nothing all week. Can you build an infrastructure where this server is turned off Monday through Friday, or even better, deleted on Sunday and recreated Friday evening? If so, cloud might be a more flexible option! If not, you're gonna be spending money 5 days a week for a server that does nothing.

2. Flexible storefront
You have a website that needs to be online 24/7 at some minimal capacity, from 4PM to 8PM it needs to have higher capacity, on Saturdays and Sundays it needs to have higher capacity, in November and December in needs higher capacity and any time there's a special sale, there needs to be additional capacity. Even better, can you design the infrastructure so that servers are created and deleted any time the response times get a bit slow? If so, cloud might be a great option, if not, have fun!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I have two examples I use for cloud, and if your business can't handle either of these scenarios in an on-prem infrastructure, cloud is probably going to be a big boondoggle. I would love peer review on these examples to help me not sound like an idiot while talking about cloud.

1. Weekend report
You have a weekly report that's done by accounting, you collect data all week long, and then some big server does the calculations on Saturday. It has to be done by Sunday. When the server was built, it was a six hour task, but now it's taking 12-15 hours even after upgrading hardware, but it's too expensive to have some megaserver sitting around doing nothing all week. Can you build an infrastructure where this server is turned off Monday through Friday, or even better, deleted on Sunday and recreated Friday evening? If so, cloud might be a more flexible option! If not, you're gonna be spending money 5 days a week for a server that does nothing.

2. Flexible storefront
You have a website that needs to be online 24/7 at some minimal capacity, from 4PM to 8PM it needs to have higher capacity, on Saturdays and Sundays it needs to have higher capacity, in November and December in needs higher capacity and any time there's a special sale, there needs to be additional capacity. Even better, can you design the infrastructure so that servers are created and deleted any time the response times get a bit slow? If so, cloud might be a great option, if not, have fun!

My giant ($10bil+ revenue a year) company is in the process of a "cloud migration" to AWS. Apparently our plan is to treat AWS like an ESXI host. No autoscaling, no health checks, no RDS, just pretending they're on-prem VMs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

For most large organisations that is probably still a great win.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

abigserve posted:

Neither NSX nor ACI has impressed me so I'd be interested to hear your take on them. NSX looks like a solution for a very niche problem (tenant VMs in enterprise networks) that requires a ton of policy resources thrown at it to make sure it doesn't become an absolute hell mess. ACI seems like the same thing except at the network layer instead of within the hypervisor.

NSX is more than microsegmentation and the programmability is just as big a piece. It’s not something everyone needs, but if you need it you REALLY need it. I’m also not sure what you mean by a ton of policy resources. The distributes firewall has some issues, but it’s by no means a nightmare to configure or manage.

We’ve sold NSX to a few large customers specifically for microsegmentation though. If you view east west traffic is a valid attack vector (and it is) you have precious few options to secure it. This goes doubly if you still have legacy flat networks that were developed long ago with poor security practices and a bunch of legacy apps that will break horribly if you try to move them.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

NSX is more than microsegmentation and the programmability is just as big a piece. It’s not something everyone needs, but if you need it you REALLY need it. I’m also not sure what you mean by a ton of policy resources. The distributes firewall has some issues, but it’s by no means a nightmare to configure or manage.

We’ve sold NSX to a few large customers specifically for microsegmentation though. If you view east west traffic is a valid attack vector (and it is) you have precious few options to secure it. This goes doubly if you still have legacy flat networks that were developed long ago with poor security practices and a bunch of legacy apps that will break horribly if you try to move them.

I mean you need an equal or greater number of people to manage your east west policy as there already are managing the other policy.

This is where both those systems break down in my mind, unless you have highly containerised systems that you also have complete control over you will inevitably either have either a very basic - and therefore, mostly pointless - policy base or an extremely complicated and resource intensive one.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xsf421 posted:

My giant ($10bil+ revenue a year) company is in the process of a "cloud migration" to AWS. Apparently our plan is to treat AWS like an ESXI host. No autoscaling, no health checks, no RDS, just pretending they're on-prem VMs.

Smile and say that's a great idea, and then once things are well underway start a proposal called 'next generation cloud advantage' or some similarly named bullshit and frame the whole thing as what happens now that you have all these cloud tools and how to use them to migrate to a dynamic more flexible lower TCO I.T. process. This type of forklift migration sounds like it was decided as the least risk proposition, which is fine if boring. Once you have a cloud setup, even an archaic one, you can begin to nibble away at modernizing it, because it's easy to sell as a no risk 'step' in using 'the cloud'. If you put yourself forth as a thought leader, it can look very good for you without being disruptive or negative about the current cloud setup choices.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

abigserve posted:

I mean you need an equal or greater number of people to manage your east west policy as there already are managing the other policy.

This is where both those systems break down in my mind, unless you have highly containerised systems that you also have complete control over you will inevitably either have either a very basic - and therefore, mostly pointless - policy base or an extremely complicated and resource intensive one.

Not really? I mean, you can manage it by hand but it’s really designed to be consumed by an orchestration product. Someone requests an app through VRa or Embotics or whatever and the VMs get tagged in a way that defines their purpose and security policy is simply inherited.

Someone has to build out those policies, but that’s not a large ongoing effort for most shops.

It also doesn’t need to be perfect. It’s one more layer of defense. Even if I don’t block everything I should if I can say definitively that my IIS servers that share a subnet don’t need to be able to talk to each other over CIFS I can block that without needing to rearchitect my network and now I’ve stopped one popular worm propagation method there.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is our use case as we dragged our feet for years in implementing east-west firewalling. Now, especially as we go all in on Palo Alto for firewalls, it just makes sense to implement it through NSX as I can count on one hand the number of remaining independent physical hosts we have.

Also architecturally, all traffic among blades (99% of our traffic) has to hairpin up to our core and back down, so moving the network into the chassis made a lot of sense from a network tuning standpoint.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Someone has to build out those policies, but that’s not a large ongoing effort for most shops.

I disagree BUT - I come from education/government/research space so my experience is probably dramatically different to yours.