Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PhilippAchtel posted:

Here you go, dumbshits. Read this article until you really grok the kinds of poo poo that women have to think about all the time as a matter of personal safety in our society in the tyool 2017.

http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/what-we-know-and-have-always-known-about-this-moment-in-sexual-harassment/

Tabatha Southey, famously oppressed woman because dave foley can't afford to pay her the 17k a month child support he owes her. When will the patriarchy end

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Tabatha Southey, famously oppressed woman because dave foley can't afford to pay her the 17k a month child support he owes her. When will the patriarchy end

Read the article.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
what's young feminist journalist leah mclaren think

:thunk:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

what's young feminist journalist leah mclaren think

:thunk:

Breaking gender stereotypes one stranger's baby at a time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

maybe we can fund it out of some aboriginal reserve suicide relief fund since the money's not being used anyway

holy poo poo amazing

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Well I asked and she was pissed off she didn't get the handshake. She wanted him to see her first as a professional competent employee and not as a woman. I agree the touching was inappropriate but that wasn't what really hurt, it was her perceived, probably accurate, reasoning behind it and that her boyfriend got what she wanted just by default. The CEO is either misses glaringly obvious things or recognizes what motivates her and withholds it like a perfect slot machine.

e: it was definitely sexist, the shoulder touch and the smile! thing was not something you'd do to a guy

Yeah, as a woman, as soon as I started reading the replies I was like "SHE WAS UPSET THAT HE GAVE HER BOYFRIEND A HANDSHAKE LIKE HE IS A STRONG BUSINESSMAN AND JUST TOUCHED HER ON THE SHOULDER LIKE A FRAGILE WOMAN JESUS"

I know none of you guys actually have any way of knowing the issue because you don't live it every day, and I like that most of you do make an effort to see why we consider those sorts of things problematic, but it's amazing that it's just so pervasive that I instantly knew her problem where none of you got that it was the boyfriend getting the handshake.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You wouldn't think that would need to be explained...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
man i'd love to see the looks on your faces when you go visit pakistan or egypt and try to shake hands with women

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
On the other hand, odds are Ikantski's story happened in Canada.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I got to see one of these at a christmas party. CEO comes over and gives the female employee a pat on shoulder and says "Smile!" and her boyfriend, who doesn't work there, a big handshake. I don't think it was a microaggression because there was no intent there but, having been oversensitized to the gendered lens from this thread, I checked in and she was seething.

I've dealt a lot with female muslims in the workplace. Hand comes out when meeting? Go ahead and shake. No hand comes out? Stay the gently caress away.

She should stick her hand out for a shake when that's how she wants to be greeted. Don't leave it to the CEO to dictate the interaction.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
*pats laotian toddler on the head*

*is a canpol goon*

namaste

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

namaste friends posted:

*pats laotian toddler on the head*

*is a canpol goon*

namaste

it puts the loatian on the head or else it gets the hose.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

cougar cub posted:

I've dealt a lot with female muslims in the workplace. Hand comes out when meeting? Go ahead and shake. No hand comes out? Stay the gently caress away.

She should stick her hand out for a shake when that's how she wants to be greeted. Don't leave it to the CEO to dictate the interaction.

Is there any negative male-female interaction that isn't somehow the fault of the female? We just don't know. :iiam:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cougar cub posted:

Also, nobody's ever filed a HR complaint for tipping the invisible fedora.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Maybe just bow to everyone you meet, don't touch, and outside of photography, refrain from telling people to "smile"? That should have you sorted.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

PhilippAchtel posted:

Is there any negative male-female interaction that isn't somehow the fault of the female? We just don't know. :iiam:

You misinterpreted. I provided an example where a handshake was both the wrong and correct interaction with a woman. The only way I (male) know which is correct is by following the female's lead, otherwise I default to my own gender norms of a handshake. Basically, the woman in the story has the ability to influence the interaction and I've seen others in similar situations communicate their expectations by simply sticking their hand out. If you disagree with that approach, feel free to provide a better way for her to communicate her expected gender norms.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Wedge Regret

Also, nobody's ever filed a HR complaint for tipping the invisible fedora.

Just salute to everyone, what are they going to do? Complain?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
how the gently caress do you idiots even leave the house without starting a racial holy war lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Maybe just bow to everyone you meet, don't touch, and outside of photography, refrain from telling people to "smile"? That should have you sorted.

There's a lot to be said for the kowtow

cougar cub posted:

You misinterpreted. I provided an example where a handshake was both the wrong and correct interaction with a woman. The only way I (male) know which is correct is by following the female's lead, otherwise I default to my own gender norms of a handshake. Basically, the woman in the story has the ability to influence the interaction and I've seen others in similar situations communicate their expectations by simply sticking their hand out. If you disagree with that approach, feel free to provide a better way for her to communicate her expected gender norms.

I get the distinct impression a lot of CanPol does not understand how a handshake works. Generally speaking, it doesn't involve forcefully grabbing the other party's hand.

apatheticman posted:

Just salute to everyone, what are they going to do? Complain?

Depends on the salute really, for example, I'd avoid the Roman one.

namaste friends posted:

how the gently caress do you idiots even leave the house without starting a racial holy war lmao

You know that thing about white people over complicating everything? It's that.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

namaste friends posted:

I'm totally positive this oval office isn't pulling this stunt or of some cynical and devious plot to curry some kind of favour

Even if she isn't, Iguess I'm not sure she'll be able to somehow comfort herself with that MP pension

This is a grave injustice and we need the senate to investigate

go gently caress yourself

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Just loving shake hands with everyone or take the hint and don’t you socially malfunctioning incels.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
CI going for the elusive back to back 30-day probation/ban

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 26, 2018

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

it puts the loatian on the head or else it gets the hose.

The only good post for the last two hundred pages.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wait, THAT Dave Foley? How does he even have $17K a month?

quote:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2011/03/11/comedian_dave_foley_fears_arrest_owes_500000_in_childsupport.html

He believes his payments might have been sustainable if he could have landed another gig as lucrative as the lead on NewsRadio. But new sitcoms have been few and far between on the box in the last decade. “Comedy disappeared from TV for a few years,” he says, so he hosted shows such as Thank God You’re Here and Celebrity Poker Showdown.

Foley says that Ontario’s Family Responsibility Office now has an enforcement order and last year sought a six-month jail sentence for him, which was to extend indefinitely, until the overdue support was paid.

In November 2010, a judge spared him immediate imprisonment but allowed the FRO to seek a warrant for Foley’s arrest — and 10 days in jail — without notifying him as soon as he misses or is late for a payment. Since he has missed payments, Foley assumes such a warrant now exists. (While declining to comment on this specific case, the FRO says payors are typically notified in advance of such action.)

Foley now owes $17,301.30 monthly toward his two children, who are both now teenagers: the $10,700 in child support agreed to in 2001, now raised to $12,301.30 to reflect cost of living increases, plus $5,000 a month toward the overdue $589,000 he already owes. For a performer, that means that once taxes and a 20 per cent commission are factored in, he has to earn $40,000 per month, he figures, before he can see a dime.

Oh I see, he doesn't.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Man, think how many shirts I could buy from Lowtax if I was making $17k month...

Any who

https://twitter.com/OkigboHTX/status/942107102817943553

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The fact that men are usually on the hook for child support because women are encouraged to neglect their careers in order to be caregivers is actually one of the ways patriarchy expresses itself. (Dave Foley's specific situation is also an example of the way laws can express themselves in unreasonably inflexible ways. But it's also the patriarchy thing. A specific event can be the result of more than one thing.)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Falstaff posted:

The fact that men are usually on the hook for child support because women are encouraged to neglect their careers in order to be caregivers is actually one of the ways patriarchy expresses itself. (Dave Foley's specific situation is also an example of the way laws can express themselves in unreasonably inflexible ways. But it's also the patriarchy thing. A specific event can be the result of more than one thing.)

The point was that southey isn't the one who should be writing about the patriarchy. Or anything, she's terrible.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The point was that southey isn't the one who should be writing about the patriarchy. Or anything, she's terrible.

Bah. I'm dumb and missed that context. Sorry.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I see "pay $12000 you don't have every month because my kids are used to having a rich dad" as being different from "I raised our children instead of having a career and now I can't support them without some sub-100% amount of your actual, existing paycheque".

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well I guess that explains why he did Postal.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Man, think how many shirts I could buy from Lowtax if I was making $17k month...

Any who

https://twitter.com/OkigboHTX/status/942107102817943553

Wow. If I got an email like this from a prof I would promptly be headed out the door to punch them in the face.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
For real, if everyone fucks up an exam that's on the professor not the students.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That sounds more to me like someone guessed the prof's password and used it to do something they thought was clever.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I doubt a professor actually sent that, although it's definitely the type of email every professor or TA wants to send after marking an exam or major assignment.

A couple years of TAing in grad school gave my a hell of a lot of sympathy for my professors from undergrad for the crap they must have had to put up with. Oh gee, you hosed up an assignment because you skipped the tutorials where I outlined exactly what you needed to do to get an A, ignored all the emails to the class where the same was repeated, and handed me something written at a sixth grade level full of illegible figures where what I could understand was a direct contradiction to what the assignment asked? Yeah, I'm sure the best response is to somehow track down my personal email and message me saying how because of your mark on this 10% assignment it's my fault you might fail the term.

And yeah a bad exam mark isn't always the professor's fault. I once saw a pile of students gently caress up a final where like half of the questions were copied directly from the midterm and the rest were basically handed to them from the study guide.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 18, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao i'd love to see all your tears if you fuckin idiots did an undergrad in a STEM. It was a regular occurance for everyone to fail the midterm and get assigned assignments that nobody had any idea how to do except the one or two genius motherfuckers in my class who are now full tenured profs at real universities.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

namaste friends posted:

lmao i'd love to see all your tears if you fuckin idiots did an undergrad in a STEM. It was a regular occurance for everyone to fail the midterm and get assigned assignments that nobody had any idea how to do except the one or two genius motherfuckers in my class who are now full tenured profs at real universities.

Holy moly they get to be professors????

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If they're so smart why are they academics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

namaste friends posted:

We all agreed classes with first year overachieving STEM students were the worst to TA because they all think their 98 percents they got in high school were deserved and not hilarious grade inflation.