Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I think OOTS is still pretty charming. Not sure where the vehement criticism's coming from - is it reacting to the GITP forums being a 3.5 charop hellhole? The strip's certainly no Goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Oh hey, there's a comments section.

Roleplaying games... Roleplaying games were a mistake.

Edit: V gently caress offffffffffff

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Look, all I'm saying is that CTRL-ALT-DELETE is still relevant in 2017 - you just can't beat that kind of staying power in a comic

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

xiw posted:

I think OOTS is still pretty charming. Not sure where the vehement criticism's coming from - is it reacting to the GITP forums being a 3.5 charop hellhole? The strip's certainly no Goblins.

OotS’ decline began when it fully embraced the idea of “3.5 rules as the physics engine of a fantasy world” as a serious idea instead of a punchline.

Ex., Burlew has to come up with various plot contrivances for Vaarsuvius or Durkon to split from the party; that’s because high-level 3.5 casters completely trivialize any kind of conflict that leads to a meaningful story.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

xiw posted:

It's definitely not like Bad Webcomics Thread awful and it's probably one of the better RPG-based webcomics I've had the pleasure of reading but that's damning with faint praise. It's just not a good comic in an artistic sense, not because of the stick figures but just like aggressively bad paneling and dialogue. I remember a semi-recent fight scene showing the back of a character's head - which in this case means a totally featureless circle - and you'd think after all this time the man wouldn't make amateur mistakes like that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kai Tave posted:

Has there ever been an RPG webcomic that was actually good?

The D&D actual comic for 4e was real good if that counts.

xiw posted:

I have nothing against the comic other then disliking it. It never found the right balance between comedy and drama, and it's drama ain't great besides, and it's comedy largely consists of referential humor. It's forums though...

Kai Tave posted:

Oh hey, there's a comments section.

This reads like it could've come from the forums. Surprise, 3.x and TVTropes are liked by the same groups of people!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

The D&D actual comic for 4e was real good if that counts.

Not a webcomic though. Rip Fell's Five, too good for this world.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Order of the Stick is quite good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, I made the mistake of looking through the old strips. It is desperately unfunny.

And yeah, OotS is fine. It's enjoyable enough; the fanbase is just insufferable.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Order of the Stick is good and I'm a mod so that's the official position of Trad Games now. You're welcome.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

theironjef posted:

How is "Let's eat dinner" translated to "What do you want on dinner?" Is this what it feels like to watch Big Bang Theory?

All of the writing feels very unnatural and forced, but some of that is probably because all of them are apparently Israeli migrants to the UK. There's some jokes early on about how they struggle with all the weird new britishisms. That doesn't excuse why most of the punchlines are "OMGWTFBBQ nerd stuff!!!" though.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Flipping through Up to Four Players, the only joke seems to be "What if somebody acted in an exaggerated fashion regarding tabletop games!" But it's not a punchline, there's no setup, just... it's too bad, because they seem to be reasonably good at cartooning, but the jokes are just the characters hamming on the final panel.

The instructional stuff is cute but doesn't really make much use of the medium, it's just characters hamming references around text boxes.

Hamming, it's a word I'm using now, I guess.

God, it's been a long time since I've seen a webcomic attempt to be CAD-but-for-tabletop-nerds. I guess someone had to try again now that most of the competition is past its prime

Ettin posted:

Order of the Stick is good and I'm a mod so that's the official position of Trad Games now. You're welcome.

Wow, and here I thought you had good taste

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wow, and here I thought you had good taste

Modding both RPGnet and SA Tradgames does things to a person.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ettin posted:

Oh, right, this is the part of the movie where you tear off your mask and reveal that your face is just one hideous circle.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

xiw posted:

OotS isn't horrible and it doesn't plunge down into the depths of at truly bad webcomic, but it's a poor use of comics as a medium when your dialog balloons consume more panel space than anything else, like what happens in OotS on the reg. "But the art is deliberately poo poo, so the word balloons make up for it." Is a tired excuse when so much of the dialog is completely extraneous and other minimalist webcomics have managed to do so much better in both writing and art. It's a masturbatory exercise in applying D&D logic to morality and world building, and is basically TV Tropes: the webcomic at this point. I say this as someone who used to read it, but fell off when I forgot to check it for a while during one of the dozens of long-winded, but "quirky" and "self-aware" speeches I thought was so cool in high school.

Kai Tave posted:

Modding both RPGnet and SA Tradgames does things to a person.

Ettin, please know that we're here for you if you need to talk

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 18, 2017

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I for one welcome our new stick figure overlords

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Simian_Prime posted:

So one of the systems used by said GM for his nominally 5e game was a DCC style Funnel. Everything from race to occupation was rolled randomly on a bunch of tables, so I figured “I’ll flip a coin to randomly determine gender as well for my four characters.” I got 3 men and 1 woman. The woman was the only survivor of the funnel so she became my 1st level paladin character. She was the only female character in the group (I’m male).

Right out the gate when the GM realizes this, he starts commanding “I don’t want to see *any* romantic subplots in my games!” (Nobody was asking for any). His in-game behavior towards both my character and I became incredibly passive-aggressive, to the point that by session 2 I just stopped going. Blows my mind that someone can provide 20 options for playing a fantasy creature, but try to play a “woman” and grogs lose their poo poo.

That's... depressingly familiar. I can't blame you for ditching; frankly, this sounds like the kind of guy who would find a way to be groggy regardless, but I agree that the groggish "you can play an elf or a troll or a sapient wildebeest, but God forbid you play a woman or a non-white person" attitude is intolerable.

Honestly, this reminds me of a weird conversation I had with one of the friends I played AD&D with in high school. It was our second campaign, and I'd decided to play a male dwarf with the Wandering Blacksmith kit, which specifically had fluff involving the concept that shield dwarves with this kit were wandering the world in large part to find a marriage partner/start a family. That became an explicit goal of my character, and he expressed interest (very non-explicitly and chivalrously -- think buying drinks and chatting, not ARE THERE ANY GIRLS THERE? IF THERE ARE, I WANT TO DOOOO 'EM) in female dwarves he encountered. This led to one of the most awkward conversations of my life: one of my friends sitting me down and asking, incredibly circuitously, if my playing a character who liked girls meant I was really a lesbian, or what...? My answer was "no," but I feel like "why do you even care?" would be a better one.

Then again, that was a high-school story. The concept that there are actual grown-rear end adults who do poo poo like this about people playing outside their gender/race/orientation/whatevers is deeply sad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nuns with Guns posted:

OotS isn't horrible and it doesn't plunge down into the depths of at truly bad webcomic, but it's a poor use of comics as a medium when your dialog balloons consume more panel space than anything else, like what happens in OotS on the reg. "But the art is deliberately poo poo, so the word balloons make up for it." Is a tired excuse when so much of the dialog is completely extraneous and other minimalist webcomics have managed to do so much better in both writing and art. It's a masturbatory exercise in applying D&D logic to morality and world building, and is basically TV Tropes: the webcomic at this point. I say this as someone who used to read it, but fell off when I forgot to check it for a while during one of the dozens of long-winded, but "quirky" and "self-aware" speeches I thought was so cool in high school.

OotS has really good art, though. Like, it's not a high-detail feast for your eyes like something by Minna Sundberg or whoever but it's very good at what it's trying to do.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Once you wrap your head around the idea that not gaming is better than bad gaming, life gets much better.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

That's... depressingly familiar. I can't blame you for ditching; frankly, this sounds like the kind of guy who would find a way to be groggy regardless, but I agree that the groggish "you can play an elf or a troll or a sapient wildebeest, but God forbid you play a woman or a non-white person" attitude is intolerable.

Kids are taught, intentionally or not, to find people to throw under the bus. There's a few winner spots and lots of loser spots so kids cling to the same bullshit reasons to declare people losers before the game is supposed to have started.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

OotS has really good art, though. Like, it's not a high-detail feast for your eyes like something by Minna Sundberg or whoever but it's very good at what it's trying to do.

No, it fails on even a basic level to do anything but the bare minimum to convey what is going on. Let's put aside that every expression and most gestures/poses are a copy/paste that must come from some stock file Burlew keeps open as he works. Every action is weightless and soft. He absolutely needs to have his characters shout the spells they're casting because otherwise you could never tell them apart. There's not enough distinct features to consistently utilize any interesting visual gags, which is what leads back to the constant little asides and self-aware nods in the dialog to amuse the reader.

You can see a lot of this in this very recent page: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1105.html which is mercifully low on dialog, but you only have to go back or forward a page to see the massive word balloons.

This isn't even getting into the really unfortunate implications that come out of half-assedly mashing up fantasy elements and real world analogs, like how the Japanese-flavored people worship the Chinese zodiac animals as gods.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 18, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Bar Crow posted:

Kids are taught, intentionally or not, to find people to throw under the bus. There's a few winner spots and lots of loser spots so kids cling to the same bullshit reasons to declare people losers before the game is supposed to have started.

It’s surprising where it can appear. I played in a Pathfinder game once where I played a trans woman PC among a group of mostly cis gay men. I was honestly surprised by how quickly the “tranny” and “drag queen” slurs started getting thrown around.

It’s all good. I’m running UA3 for a group of awesome players now and we’re having a blast.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

No, it fails on even a basic level to do anything but the bare minimum to convey what is going on. Let's put aside that every expression and most gestures/poses are a copy/paste that must come from some stock file Burlew keeps open as he works. Every action is weightless and soft. He absolutely needs to have his character shout the spells they're casting because otherwise you could never tell them apart. There's not enough distinct features to consistently utilize any interesting visual gags, which is what leads back to the constant little asides and self-aware nods in the dialog to amuse the reader.

You can see a lot of this in this very recent page: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1105.html which is mercifully low on dialog, but you only have to go back or forward a page to see the massive word balloons.

This isn't even getting into the really unfortunate implications that come out of half-assedly mashing up fantasy elements and real world analogs, like how the Japanese-flavored people worship the Chinese zodiac animals as gods.

Ok.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Simian_Prime posted:

Right out the gate when the GM realizes this, he starts commanding “I don’t want to see *any* romantic subplots in my games!”

Impressive, one line and he's simultaneously Homophobic, Misogynistic and Transphobic. In a way, it's impressive.

Ettin posted:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm fairly certain you could eliminate half the panels in any given OotS strip these days and hit every vital plot point and "gag" in a given strip.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm fairly certain you could eliminate OotS.
I agree.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I find that panel particularly fascinating because even in context you can barely tell a guy charged 15 feet, cut through two other vampires, and forcibly jammed a sword in a dude so hard it came poking out the other end.

I'm going to be very mean right now and compare it to a similar portion from a recent Kill Six Billion Demons page:

You can see the lines of motion in it, the destructive force of the attack, and the impact it had on the target, even though all the attacker has done here is drive two fingers into the target's chest. Do I expect Order of the Stick to be so excellent at conveying a fight? No, but that doesn't change that this is a D&D comic filled with combat scenes where it looks like everyone is larping with foam swords.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I’m critical of OotS’s writing, but there’s a reason the comic is called “Order of the Stick” and not “Order
Of the Highly Detailed Anatomy and Chiaroscuro Shading.”

Creating a highly-detailed comic in the style of K6BD isn’t what Burlew ever set out to do. The drawings are based off of stick-figure counters he made for his own D&D games, and to his fans that low-res DIY feel is part of the charm. It’s not always my thing, but I can’t criticize his intent. (Though I don’t read it because he’s just pandering to his audience at this point.)

Also it’s well know that he’s got some serious chronic health problems, which may limit his technical proficiency.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Like, clearly there's a surprising amount of detail work going into these "haha I'm a self-aware talentless hack artist" stick figures, but it's so chained to its original look and formula that however much Burlew's improved over the years his comic hasn't escaped what amounts to just referencing itself forever and ever. Which, okay fine if that's what he and his audience want, good for them I guess. I don't think I could stomach being so creatively stale in a creative medium for so loving long, no matter how much money I made at it.*

* Of course, I say this in the comfortable knowledge that I just do not have the temperament to scrape together a life out of the grueling existence of a full-time creative person.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It's been years, I know there's no reason to get better artistically, but drat man get better.

The manga artist One does barely more than scribbles, and he just loving gets how you lay out panels to convey action and movement, which is important in the visual medium they both work in.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Simian_Prime posted:

I’m critical of OotS’s writing, but there’s a reason the comic is called “Order of the Stick” and not “Order
Of the Highly Detailed Anatomy and Chiaroscuro Shading.”

Creating a highly-detailed comic in the style of K6BD isn’t what Burlew ever set out to do. The drawings are based off of stick-figure counters he made for his own D&D games, and to his fans that low-res DIY feel is part of the charm. It’s not always my thing, but I can’t criticize his intent. (Though I don’t read it because he’s just pandering to his audience at this point.)

Also it’s well know that he’s got some serious chronic health problems, which may limit his technical proficiency.

Well I did say I was being mean and I don't expect fantastic art, but that doesn't mean the art in this is good or serves anything more than a workmanlike role of delivering the dialog to the audience. And I'm aware that he has a chronic illness, but like Goblins, that still doesn't mean the comic is more than D&D fanservice or is above criticism for having rear end art.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like OotS.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

You are a monster and I'll see you in baator

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cassa posted:

It's been years, I know there's no reason to get better artistically, but drat man get better.

The manga artist One does barely more than scribbles, and he just loving gets how you lay out panels to convey action and movement, which is important in the visual medium they both work in.

For instance, original art for One Punch man on the left and redone art on the right:

e: both convey the same sense of action

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love how in here we talk about OotS' art and layout while in the BSS thread it's top to bottom HAHA ALIGNMENT YOU GUYS.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Whether you like or dislike OotS it is the best tabletop games specific webcomic due to it's..."competition."

It will also always be the best tabletop games specific webcomic because the age of webcomics ended long ago and "webcomic" as a thing increasingly doesn't even exist.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reading webcomics in 2017...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I liked DM of the Rings.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I thought the Star Wars one was kinda clever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, STR as D&D defines it is actually this very weird specific facet of overall strength that doesn't correspond to how muscles work in real life. It wasn't a conspiracy against fighters, either, it was just an accident brought about by cargo-culting D&D's mechanics. In old-school D&D, STR is important for melee fighting, lifting and carrying heavy things, and forcing doors open. That makes it really valuable in the context of D&D and not so much in a ton of other games in different genres.
Agility being it's own thing makes sense if you look at it from a character archetype point of view. The tough one, the smart one, the fast one etc. The str/con split still make no sense though, as if they're separate then dex should be three different scores, minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kibner posted:

For instance, original art for One Punch man on the left and redone art on the right:

e: both convey the same sense of action

One is like one of the best artists I've seen at layout and conveying action. The later webcomic chapters still mostly scribbles yet still looks great at showing motion and action.

• Locked thread