Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm the guy gleefully clapping and walking away immediately after impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Garrand posted:

I see that you are not SCs target audience. The point isn't to fly around and shoot poo poo otherwise they'd just go play freelancer. The point is to feel like your piloting your very own starship. To command or be part of a crew thats exploring the deepest recesses of space. Basically people who want to be in star trek, and the maintenance and minutiae of working a starship gives the feeling of being part of something greater than themselves alone.

Except its a poorly-designed video game which means all that stuff will be tacked on poo poo if it ever comes out.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is it weird that I’ve got a pretty banger design of a 2-on-2 game because of the schadenfruede thread’s description of Star Citizen?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chitoryu12 posted:

...botany growing food and drugs in equal measure...

When is there ever as much food as there is space weed?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MrYenko posted:

When is there ever as much food as there is space weed?

I mean, especially when you get the SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE! munchies?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The guy jumping off the rv and all the people surrounding him are, in all likelihood, very drunk. This is why they are doing things that seem perhaps ill-advised to you and I.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Partially local schadenfreude, partially national:

A trucker friend of mine is pissed that Tommorow is the day in which e-logs become mandatory for him and other truckers. Long story short, he and a few of his friends reveal themselves to be the kind of folks that e-logs most hurt: guys who have been fudging their numbers and driving when they should be sleeping.

Like, nobody likes having their bosses tell them what to do. On the other hand, stuff like e-logs come about because people are driving when they should be sleeping, which is dangerous. On a another person's hand, the whole industry is so production-focused that most people feel like they have to fudge logs to keep up.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So that's what's been going on; I work security at a freight yard, there's been a lot of fuss about something or other from the truckers lately.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Nuevo posted:

I think someone in this very thread mentioned that he hopped on the Flat Earth bandwagon mostly to get donations from other Flat Earthers to fund his crazy rocket.

In which case, more power to him. :patriot:

Dude's still going to get parboiled in a steam explosion.
I'm still skeptical about the existence of any actually sincere flat earthers, but he probably gets money this way from people who want to see him die. Which is, uh, something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pictured: a man who is just loving sick of his kidneys

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/wwos/status/942570194387353600

Memento has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Dec 18, 2017

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Once again I'll post one of my all time favourites, angry man stuck in snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

How some people get a car license and suck so bad at parking is beyond me, after driving for a while you should have plenty of practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FqHJh6Ty4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's also a SovCit and tried to lodge legal papers claiming he owns OJ Simpson

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This will probably be the most :wtc: thing I read all day.

No but see he's not claiming ownership over OJ Simpson the man but over OJ Simpson the person which is totally different because SovCits believe that people are simultaneously a physical entity and also a legal corporate entity and the law applies to each differently (which is why they think that traffic laws and everything else don't apply to them)

Polaron posted:

What I don't get about Flat Earth Rocketman is that he's hoping to hit, what, 1600 feet or so in order to see if the Earth curves?

Even a dinky Cessna 172 can hit five to ten thousand feet. Why doesn't he just...use one of those? :psyduck:
His planned rocket flight wouldn't even be as high as the mountains bordering the desert where he's planning to launch so he wouldn't even be able to see the horizon to check if it was flat or curved. But no, he's not planning on proving the earth is flat with this rocket jump, he's planning on becoming very famous with this rocket jump and using that fame to finance a much better rocket which he'll use to fly much much higher next time.

Strudel Man posted:

I'm still skeptical about the existence of any actually sincere flat earthers, but he probably gets money this way from people who want to see him die. Which is, uh, something.
Well the 'flat earth community' certainly seems very very upset with the outcome either way and a whole bunch of them are turning on him now and posting youtube videos ranting about how he's a scam artist and how this is all a conspiracy to discredit the other flat earthers.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

I could have sworn there was a goto fail somewhere in there.

Going from my efforts on a graphing calculator 20 years ago:

give money
get nothing
goto 1

Kurieg posted:

10: Person Gives them money
20: They promise them Pixels
30: Person gives them more money
40: The promise them shinier pixels
50: Goto 30

poo poo

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Samizdata posted:

You know, that's a Goon game, right?

i do now. Might throw some money at it. Though my son doesnt follow instructions so id probably end up in jail for murder if i play it with him.....

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
All the talk of multi player spaceships is reminding me how much I enjoyed Star Wars Galaxies :-( I collected blueprints and made everything needed for multi-crew ships (including mining the resources needed). Custom pink blasters for all the turrets......

SC can go suck it.

Now I'm sad, so y'all can take pleasure from that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/942586263646998528

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

that's uninspiring

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Samizdata posted:

Antaeus - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antaeus . No idea why I knew that off the top of my head.

Have you maybe seen the MST3K episode/old rear end Italian B-movie Hercules Unchained? He's pretty much the first mythical figure depicted.

(it's also one of the best episodes)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

oldpainless posted:

The guy jumping off the rv and all the people surrounding him are, in all likelihood, very drunk. This is why they are doing things that seem perhaps ill-advised to you and I.

Forget it, Jake, it’s Buffalo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sex Hobbit posted:

Have you maybe seen the MST3K episode/old rear end Italian B-movie Hercules Unchained? He's pretty much the first mythical figure depicted.

(it's also one of the best episodes)

The whole episode is up on youtube if anyone wants to check it out!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MisterBibs posted:

Partially local schadenfreude, partially national:

A trucker friend of mine is pissed that Tommorow is the day in which e-logs become mandatory for him and other truckers. Long story short, he and a few of his friends reveal themselves to be the kind of folks that e-logs most hurt: guys who have been fudging their numbers and driving when they should be sleeping.

Like, nobody likes having their bosses tell them what to do. On the other hand, stuff like e-logs come about because people are driving when they should be sleeping, which is dangerous. On a another person's hand, the whole industry is so production-focused that most people feel like they have to fudge logs to keep up.

I'm pretty sure a good reason those would be made mandatory is to force truck companies to stop exploiting the drivers so hard and making them endanger themselves and everyone else on the road or be fired and replaced with someone who will.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think the push back is that drivers get paid by the load so while employers don't really lose anything, truckers lose out on loads over time.

It's a complicated issue and I don't know enough about it too make a well informed argument, but I can definitely see why being beholden to the clock AND being non Union would make it difficult to make ends meet if you were willing to sacrifice rest for money.

I disagree with that position, though. It's just going to be a shame watching people resist protection provided in the interest of FREEDOM.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Wasabi the J posted:

I think the push back is that drivers get paid by the load so while employers don't really lose anything, truckers lose out on loads over time.

It's a complicated issue and I don't know enough about it too make a well informed argument, but I can definitely see why being beholden to the clock AND being non Union would make it difficult to make ends meet if you were willing to sacrifice rest for money.

I disagree with that position, though. It's just going to be a shame watching people resist protection provided in the interest of FREEDOM.

I thought truckers paid by the load

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure a good reason those would be made mandatory is to force truck companies to stop exploiting the drivers so hard and making them endanger themselves and everyone else on the road or be fired and replaced with someone who will.

And they're all going to be fired anyway once self driving trucks becomes a thing. :v:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

I'm surprised that the horse reacted so calmly. Doing stupid stunts with a horse is a great way to get injured and then stepped on/kicked on top of it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wasabi the J posted:

Truckers in the US are often paid by the mile. At least over-the-road (long distance) drivers are. They're mad because if you restrict their hours, then it's less miles you can drive. That and I think the logs don't really take into account time spent sitting on a dock, so a trucker could spend 2-3 hours doing nothing while getting unloaded, not getting paid, but counting against their hours for the day.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Truckers in the US are often paid by the mile. At least over-the-road (long distance) drivers are. They're mad because if you restrict their hours, then it's less miles you can drive. That and I think the logs don't really take into account time spent sitting on a dock, so a trucker could spend 2-3 hours doing nothing while getting unloaded, not getting paid, but counting against their hours for the day.

I used to be a driver manager so I know this well! There are two time restrictions. They cannot drive more than 11 hours a day and cannot work a total of more than 14 hours a day. So once you start your clock for the day, you must be shut down and parked by 14 hours after that. So while sitting in a dock, your 14 will still be running down, but not the 11 hour drive time.

The fact is, it’s a poo poo job with poo poo pay that hasn’t really risen since the 70s. You’re working 14 hour days for maybe $60k if you get good, consistent long haul freight (most make closer to 40k in my experience). But when thinking about that $60k remember you’re also away from home for weeks or months at a time sleeping in a cramped truck and having to live out of truck stops where they charge $8-$10 for a 15 minute shower so a lot gets eaten up by living expenses. And you only make that money if the freight is available and some days you may get dispatched two short loads with live loads/unloads on both ends and end up getting only 200 miles in rather than the 500 you could do it you have a 1200 mile load. And if you’re a company driver, you can’t refuse loads because you don’t like them.

But with self driving trucks they’ll soon all be out of jobs anyway and we’ll have the same issue we have with coal miners. Very few skills outside of their industry and limited job prospects for people often living in rural areas.

Anyway, the laws are good and protect the safety of both the drivers and other people on the road. People should not be driving 80k lbs at 66 mph when they’ve been working for over 14 hours, but when it cuts your check I can see why that would be frustrating. It’s more the industry itself that shits all over it’s workers rather than the drivers are assholes.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

^^ Yeah, some of the ways to get around it was usually to buy your own rig and then go into business for yourself, but I'm not sure how feasible that is anymore. I think the gas price spike of the last decade killed off most of people doing that for a living. Also, I'm still doubtful we're living in a future where self-driving trucks is anything but a pipe dream. It's just a nice way to keep a union from forming by threatening to flip over the checkerboard because if truckers unionize then that's less money in retail pockets.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well the 'flat earth community' certainly seems very very upset with the outcome either way and a whole bunch of them are turning on him now and posting youtube videos ranting about how he's a scam artist and how this is all a conspiracy to discredit the other flat earthers.

They're just sick of having to defend steam rocket man's insanity when they have enough problems getting laughed at for their own.

And I"m sure this guy won't die. But he'll be so hosed up that we'll probably get some 'please help me pay my mental bills broken legs and skin grafts cost money' panhandling.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Dec 18, 2017

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

I don't know what amuses me more, that this guy is trying to climb on a horse by stepping off a platform made of bricks, or that instead of a well-built platform he decided to use a poorly-built jenga tower made of bricks.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://i.imgur.com/4yMFIZf.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/lHPyjp4.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/L5OGLut.mp4

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My favorite Dad.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

SquirrelFace posted:

But with self driving trucks they’ll soon all be out of jobs anyway and we’ll have the same issue we have with coal miners. Very few skills outside of their industry and limited job prospects for people often living in rural areas.

They could become Uber drivers! Oh wait, driverless uber cars...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Also, I'm still doubtful we're living in a future where self-driving trucks is anything but a pipe dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb0Kzb3haK8

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

They could become Uber drivers! Oh wait, driverless uber cars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb0Kzb3haK8

How driverless is it if it still requires someone to be aboard?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I think the idea is that it's a precursor to actual autonomous trucks.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sounds more like the precursor to some lazy truck drivers if you ask me!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The only way autonomous vehicles work in reality is if every vehicle is autonomous.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It would be better if public transportation became so efficient that people thought driving would be too much of a hassle. That's how you get everyone to be on automated vehicles. But no, rich people don't want the minorities coming to their neighborhoods.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Dillbag posted:

The only way autonomous vehicles work in reality is if every vehicle is autonomous.

Pretty sure that driving insurance pricing will quickly push for that once we hit a critical mass.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

How driverless is it if it still requires someone to be aboard?

Still need someone to blame when it flattens a van full of preschoolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mu Zeta posted:

It would be better if public transportation became so efficient that people thought driving would be too much of a hassle. That's how you get everyone to be on automated vehicles. But no, rich people don't want the minorities coming to their neighborhoods.

Hey, Seattle just got a new train today that's a step in the right direction!

This spoiler will make you sad do not mouse over it It crashed opening day onto a highway and killed a bunch of people.