Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think of str as gross motor skills, and dex as fine motor skills, but with dex helping your AC and initiative I really don't know. As it is, you couldn't stat Babe Ruth. The boston bomber wasn't dodging poo poo, but to say he wasn't dexterous is insane.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is why Rolemaster is the superior choice, to truly distinguish your characters: Agility, Constitution, Memory, Reasoning, Self Discipline, Empathy, Intuition, Presence, Quickness, and Strength. The only way for the world to make sense is more numbers!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Reading webcomics in 2017...

The real power move is still reading VG Cats

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ettin posted:

https://twitter.com/tragicgay/status/792652170961104897

Ettin will be activated and suddenly all threads will be Kingdom death.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It will also always be the best tabletop games specific webcomic because the age of webcomics ended long ago and "webcomic" as a thing increasingly doesn't even exist.

I hate to break this to you but webcomics are still a thing people are willing to dive into, even if it's only to share embarrassingly basic jokes like that tabletop gamer comic that spawned this discussion. It only started in 2015. Hiveworks has been expanding like crazy if you want something close to a professional venture into webcomics.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It will also always be the best tabletop games specific webcomic because the age of webcomics ended long ago and "webcomic" as a thing increasingly doesn't even exist.

I'm glad webcomics are finally being made illegal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think of str as gross motor skills, and dex as fine motor skills, but with dex helping your AC and initiative I really don't know. As it is, you couldn't stat Babe Ruth. The boston bomber wasn't dodging poo poo, but to say he wasn't dexterous is insane.

Split Dexterity into Aim and Balance. The Boston Bomber had high Aim, but not high Balance.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Which of the Tsarnaev bros are we talking about here.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Why would you want to stat Babe Ruth? D&D isn't a baseball simulator.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Falstaff posted:

Why would you want to stat Babe Ruth? D&D isn't a baseball simulator.

But d20 does everything.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Haystack posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons :black101:

Oglaf !

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My god.

Who would even want to do that let alone three different people.

I can’t even watch baseball.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

How long have you been waiting to drop that.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

That is some fine broke-brained grog you've got there. 2003 vintage? Very nice...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

How long have you been waiting to drop that.

I wasn't, it was just a quick search.

But here's another.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Apparently this is part of the Nuelow bundle, which is on sale. Regular price $305.44, marked down to $304.77. What a steal!

Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Split Dexterity into Aim and Balance. The Boston Bomber had high Aim, but not high Balance.

Dexterity vs. Agility, perhaps?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Falstaff posted:

Apparently this is part of the Nuelow bundle, which is on sale. Regular price $305.44, marked down to $304.77. What a steal!

Look, all that public domain art they use doesn't come cheap.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

01011001 posted:

Dexterity vs. Agility, perhaps?

That was an AD&D Skills & Powers reference

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You can always fix imbalances in ability scores by splitting them up into more ability scores, but few people want a game that detailed. (You also eventually run into a problem where spending points on ability scores in character creation feels like a chore you have to do to avoid pitfalls, instead of positively establishing what you're good at. And if you roll them, everyone will be weirdly incompetent at certain things they should be good at.)

What's hosed is when STR and CON are two different scores, but DEX covers "doing any physical task that isn't lifting or breaking inanimate objects."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Halloween Jack posted:

What's hosed is when STR and CON are two different scores
It's because I can walk/jog for 10 miles no problem but that does not affect my ability to lift a pallet of paper bags.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So can anyone explain the weird deal with Roll20 at the moment?

They have a "player directory" where you can search for players by system, and even the more unusual systems tend to have at least a page of "actively seeking group" players. Yet if you search the actual games that are running, most entries for anything other than D&D 5e or WoD are blank.

Also, their categorisation system is bizarre. They lump all PbtA games in a single category, except Dungeon World for some reason. All FATE games are also in one category. They lump a lot of things into a big "Other Games" category.. yet at the same time they have a specific searchable system category for loving Maid. (And not for Golden Sky Stories, which I'm pretty sure is much more popular.. but it's just Other Games).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yawgmoth posted:

It's because I can walk/jog for 10 miles no problem but that does not affect my ability to lift a pallet of paper bags.
I'm not equally talented at dancing, boxing, fencing, shooting, driving, tumbling, lockpicking, and pickpocketing, yet there's this thing called DEX in many roleplaying game that

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not equally talented at dancing, boxing, fencing, shooting, driving, tumbling, lockpicking, and pickpocketing, yet there's this thing called DEX in many roleplaying game that
That's what I was saying about archetypes. The tough dude shows up in fiction a lot, as does the nimble dude. You could make a case for splitting nimble dude and fast dude but in fiction "tough" and "strong" tend to be a package deal.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

So can anyone explain the weird deal with Roll20 at the moment?

They have a "player directory" where you can search for players by system, and even the more unusual systems tend to have at least a page of "actively seeking group" players. Yet if you search the actual games that are running, most entries for anything other than D&D 5e or WoD are blank.

Also, their categorisation system is bizarre. They lump all PbtA games in a single category, except Dungeon World for some reason. All FATE games are also in one category. They lump a lot of things into a big "Other Games" category.. yet at the same time they have a specific searchable system category for loving Maid. (And not for Golden Sky Stories, which I'm pretty sure is much more popular.. but it's just Other Games).
roll20 is worse than useless for literally everything except their virtual tabletop and having a personal forum for your game.

Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

That was an AD&D Skills & Powers reference

Yeah I probably should have expected there would be several ways that circle has been squared already

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I enjoy both OotS and Up to Four Player and even Table Titans. Lead me to the gallows if you wish, but I'll go there with my head held high.

More seriously, UtFP got off to a shaky start but it is at its best when it's just a bunch of (slightly) quirky people playing games. I especially enjoy seeing things from both the players and the characters' point of views.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

*Moon Over June

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plutonis posted:

*Moon Over June

Posts like this are monstrous. You are a monster. And not a cute one like my husband Sully from my Monsters, Inc fanfic.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Megatokyo still updates, still thinks leetspeak is funny, and somehow seems to have gone downhill art-wise. Everything is so overhatched that the whole strip is just a mess of greys and sketchy pencil flailing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Day by Day counts as a fantasy role playing comic, right? :smuggo:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In earlier editions of DBD, the GM was supposed to roll behind a screen to see if you got ambushed by roosevelts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Day by Day counts as a fantasy role playing comic, right? :smuggo:

gently caress you for reminding me that exists. t:mad:t

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Well, all this talk about webcomics has reminded me that Rusty and Co exists and I need to catch up on it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Now that we're in the rear end-end of this lovely year, how about twisting the knife and bringing the new year's resolutions thread to see how badly we all did? :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
leetspeek absolutely is funny now, it's been long enough where it's looped back around.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Countblanc posted:

leetspeek absolutely is funny now, it's been long enough where it's looped back around.

Nineties nostalgia isn't due for another few years at least, we're still on eighties nostalgia according to the secret masters of fandom. Let's not rush this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

does irritability count as a tradgames webcomic. that one has funny strips

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that's fair, but also, this is the funniest poo poo ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Airplane! was a pretty funny movie.