Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The Patriots would have gone 19-0 with Jimmy G[OAT].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Carroll is playing his fiddle as Seattle burns

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Its Rinaldo posted:

Everything is ugly and it all hurts!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Everything is beautiful and handsome and he'll just hold you at night and make you feel so safe :allears:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
San Francisco delenda est

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Benny the Snake posted:

That already happened.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Benny the Snake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU2y6ztlMAQ

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I’m glad I held off looking at the score all day so I could come home and watch that game on the PVR. One and in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/942650380550266880

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'd like the Seahawks to wait another year or so before burning everything down since Pete Carroll is old and will probably retire soon.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Holy poo poo they really are on the 49ers implosion plan

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Spoeank posted:

Holy poo poo they really are on the 49ers implosion plan

The Seahawks have some of the best defensive players in the entire league. Not surprising that they would chase big pay and happy wins somewhere else. Still, I wish they'd stay. Wagner in particular, if he leaves that defense is done.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There are more people in that video than there were at the Seahawks home game as well, because they all left the game like assholes.

I left after they went up 40 points. I dont really feel obligated to stick around if the team can't even show up.

That was not a fun game!

Play posted:

The Seahawks have some of the best defensive players in the entire league. Not surprising that they would chase big pay and happy wins somewhere else. Still, I wish they'd stay. Wagner in particular, if he leaves that defense is done.

They'll just have to pick who they're going to build around. Bobby and Earl are the most obvious picks. Age has caught up to a lot of guys and they can't play to their contracts. The natural life cycle of a football team.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Whatever happens with the players probably won't matter unless they make changes in the coaching staff first. It's pretty obvious that the status quo isn't working anymore, especially after a complete no-show at home in the biggest game of the year. And at some point we need to get serious about a succession plan for Pete, who just turned 66.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Benne posted:

Whatever happens with the players probably won't matter unless they make changes in the coaching staff first. It's pretty obvious that the status quo isn't working anymore, especially after a complete no-show at home in the biggest game of the year. And at some point we need to get serious about a succession plan for Pete, who just turned 66.

Jim Mora is available.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Happy one year anniversary of Jeff Fisher getting fired!!!!!

What's the anniversary of Spags and Linehan getting fired, too? Well, I'll tell you:

Spags fired January 2nd, 2012, and Linehan fired September 28, 2008. All glorious days!

loving bastards. All of them.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Schwack posted:

Jim Mora is available.

Clearly our biggest problem is that we don't have enough dirtbags

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

I’m glad I held off looking at the score all day so I could come home and watch that game on the PVR. One and in.

I was still worried until the 4th quarter. It'st crazy they don't have a playoff spot wrapped up yet. NFC is so competitive this year.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Schwack posted:

They'll just have to pick who they're going to build around. Bobby and Earl are the most obvious picks. Age has caught up to a lot of guys and they can't play to their contracts. The natural life cycle of a football team.

This was going to happen to you guys eventually, you drafted a bunch of star players in a short period and got a ton of mileage out of rookie contracts. I don't think the last 2-3 years have be good draft wise so now you have a bunch of aging stars that want money and you can't build a team around 6-7 guys taking up 50% of your cap. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Seahawks let the defense burn down this offseason, try and build the offensive line in Free Agency a bit and hope to strike good on some fresh defenders in the draft.

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I was still worried until the 4th quarter. It'st crazy they don't have a playoff spot wrapped up yet. NFC is so competitive this year.

Yeah Goff didn't look great at all yesterday, I stopped worrying around the middle of the third quarter. Wade Phillips had the defense fired up for this game and they play like that going forward they can deep into the playoffs. I can't believe it's been 13 years since the Rams played an actual playoff game.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Man I knew this was the last year for us to contend, but this still really sucks because I can't see us making good decisions on any of this stuff moving forward.

Like I said, glad we got one out of it though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Looking at that tweet, let's take a look at the individual players:

- Avril: just had neck surgery, if he pushes it (he shouldn't, but...) he probably has 1 year left of football playing, which may or may not be with Seattle.
- Chancellor: similar to Avril, but his next year is more friendly for him if he sticks around. If he retires he loses a lot of money.
- Sherman: just had an Achilles tear, I can't imagine he will be great when he comes back, even though speed wasn't his game.
- Bennett: I think he's beyond his prime. He hasn't been excellent this season, and I doubt he'd be any better next year.

I'd probably be okay with all of them going away next year in terms of future viability.

Basically it means now building the defense around Wagner or Thomas. I'd prefer Earl but it looks like his cap hit is gonna be insane and they're already looking to trade him. Wagner is insanely good but also tends to get hurt, but I'd rather keep him, I think.

At this point, I think 2018 has to be a rebuild year. Which sucks, because we don't have many draft picks, but consider the needs:

- Offensive line (Ifedi needs to go)
- Defensive backs (we could lose all of the LoB in one offseason, good lord)
- DEs (Avril & Bennett are probably done, Malik probably won't ever play a down)
- Special teams (Blair Walsh, Jon Ryan, and Tyler Lockett are cooked)
- RB

Also, coaching. Aside from the obvious fire Tom Cable, Kris Richard gives up so many 3rd and longs, special teams play is mediocre, and Pete Carroll is old. A regime change around a rebuild suddenly doesn't sound like a bad idea...

On the bright side, we do have RW. As long as he stays healthy...

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Looking at that tweet, let's take a look at the individual players:

- Avril: just had neck surgery, if he pushes it (he shouldn't, but...) he probably has 1 year left of football playing, which may or may not be with Seattle.
- Chancellor: similar to Avril, but his next year is more friendly for him if he sticks around. If he retires he loses a lot of money.
- Sherman: just had an Achilles tear, I can't imagine he will be great when he comes back, even though speed wasn't his game.
- Bennett: I think he's beyond his prime. He hasn't been excellent this season, and I doubt he'd be any better next year.

I'd probably be okay with all of them going away next year in terms of future viability.

Basically it means now building the defense around Wagner or Thomas. I'd prefer Earl but it looks like his cap hit is gonna be insane and they're already looking to trade him. Wagner is insanely good but also tends to get hurt, but I'd rather keep him, I think.

At this point, I think 2018 has to be a rebuild year. Which sucks, because we don't have many draft picks, but consider the needs:

- Offensive line (Ifedi needs to go)
- Defensive backs (we could lose all of the LoB in one offseason, good lord)
- DEs (Avril & Bennett are probably done, Malik probably won't ever play a down)
- Special teams (Blair Walsh, Jon Ryan, and Tyler Lockett are cooked)
- RB

Also, coaching. Aside from the obvious fire Tom Cable, Kris Richard gives up so many 3rd and longs, special teams play is mediocre, and Pete Carroll is old. A regime change around a rebuild suddenly doesn't sound like a bad idea...

On the bright side, we do have RW. As long as he stays healthy...

I agree with much of this, but Jon Ryan? Has he been all that bad?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jesus you guys aren't that hosed. The Seahawks are 18 million under the cap for 2018 right now with a long list of free agents, but I think letting Graham and Sheldon Richardson walk are probably good moves. You're looking at another 8.4m for Wagner, 11m for Sherman, 8.5m for Thomas, or 7.5m for Avril if you cut any of those guys. If they work on shifting big dollars away from the defense and invest back in the offense to help RW it would turn around fast.

2017: 64m in offense, 93m in defense
2018: 63m in offense, 89m in defense

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
49ers twitter continues to be the best :3:

https://twitter.com/TitanicTD/status/942603288305983488

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

hawks fans getting on their escape goats

:perfect:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I never get tired of that twitter.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

San Francisco 49ers will be the NFC West Champs in 2018

Seahawks are going to blow it up and fire everyone
Rams will regress horribly
Cardinals won't make it to the game after bingo runs late in the care home

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hate playing this game but it feels like the cardinals need a serious culture change. they went from a tough team playing bad football to one year of MVP QB play and after that there's been no identity and everything the team does feels soft. the vaunted WR and secondary corps fell apart and are basically hanging on by a thread thanks to peterson and larry. Next year they probably don't compete but it's gonna be a good measuring stick with what we should do with mathieu and the rest of the underachievers and injured players.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

San Francisco 49ers will be the NFC West Champs in 2018

Seahawks are going to blow it up and fire everyone
Rams will regress horribly
Cardinals won't make it to the game after bingo runs late in the care home

I like where your brains at.

The young Niners are so fun because the good Niners before were a mix of bad dudes (mcdonald, brooks, aldon, cox) and angry guys (harbaugh, crabtree, etc). Young Niners mob their fg kicker in a meaningless december game. Go fuckin Jimmy G go fuckin Shanahan and go fuckin John Lynch.

:unsmith:

I think I'm swept up in the energy at Levis yesterday. It was literally the first fun game there since Tomsula's debut (which was the only other fun game there)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Peachfart posted:

I agree with much of this, but Jon Ryan? Has he been all that bad?

By the numbers he looks fine but for whatever reason he's allowed way more than the usual amount of return yards. Whether it's cause he's not getting hang time on his kicks or if this is a special teams issue (or both!), something is up.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Spoeank posted:

The young Niners are so fun because the good Niners before were a mix of bad dudes (mcdonald, brooks, aldon, cox) and angry guys (harbaugh, crabtree, etc). Young Niners mob their fg kicker in a meaningless december game. Go fuckin Jimmy G go fuckin Shanahan and go fuckin John Lynch.

I think I'm swept up in the energy at Levis yesterday. It was literally the first fun game there since Tomsula's debut (which was the only other fun game there)

This is a fun team and even if they aren’t actually good for another few years, it is the best I have felt about football in a while.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Jesus you guys aren't that hosed. The Seahawks are 18 million under the cap for 2018 right now with a long list of free agents, but I think letting Graham and Sheldon Richardson walk are probably good moves. You're looking at another 8.4m for Wagner, 11m for Sherman, 8.5m for Thomas, or 7.5m for Avril if you cut any of those guys. If they work on shifting big dollars away from the defense and invest back in the offense to help RW it would turn around fast.

2017: 64m in offense, 93m in defense
2018: 63m in offense, 89m in defense

Yeah, I don't think the Seahawks are truly screwed, but there's 2 things in play that weren't there before:

1. There needs to be an identity shift from a strong defense to either a strong offense or somewhere in-between.
2. The division is a lot more competitive with the Rams being good and Handsome Jimmy being The Real Deal.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I think we'll give Sherman at least one more year to see if he returns to form after the Achilles injury. Have to say Bennett and Avril are probably done, though, Bennett has absolutely vanished this year and it's really obvious he's playing hurt too. Kam, too, is probably toast, and Pete already said today that Sheldon hasn't worked out so they'll let him walk for sure. It looks like we may have to decide between Earl and Bobby though and hoo boy that is a choice I do not envy the front office having to make.

I still feel very pessimistic about how this will all work out, but I've kind of always been a glass-half-empty football fan

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sherman is a ufa after next year though, so he's probably gonna be rear end next year and come back healthy in 2019 for the pats on a cheap deal

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drew stanton is the starting qb now

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I hope they keep onto Bobby Wagner, if only because I just bought his jersey since he's a local hero of sorts. He played at the high school north of where I live :unsmith:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Fart

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spoeank posted:

It's cool to not want to die

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

seiferguy posted:

By the numbers he looks fine but for whatever reason he's allowed way more than the usual amount of return yards. Whether it's cause he's not getting hang time on his kicks or if this is a special teams issue (or both!), something is up.

He had an absolutely awful game yesterday. Line drives with no hang time heading straight toward a dangerous return man.

Also, Lockett isn't going to get a second contract and that makes me sad. He's way too young to be cooked, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Schwack posted:

He had an absolutely awful game yesterday. Line drives with no hang time heading straight toward a dangerous return man.

Also, Lockett isn't going to get a second contract and that makes me sad. He's way too young to be cooked, but...

A horrific leg injury to a player who's only plus physical attribute is speed being ruined? Well then.

• Locked thread