Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Krinkle posted:

If I have my scout forces on top, with probes, and shields, and guns, and a hero, but a precious irreplaceable leecher ship underneath, I fire out my probes in every direction, and, having run out, tell them to fly into the pirates.

And it sends my leech ship to die to pirates.

Why? Is there an option in the settings to never assume i'm done giving orders to something and move to the guys beneath?

E: Reloaded my save. Clicked on my probes to repeat my spread, said wait, it's not worth it, it might happen again, cancelled the probes, and... send my leech ship to die to pirates. Why?

Sending out all your probes removes all your movement points so the game switches to the next ship to move

Dunno why the second thing happened though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Endless Space 2 has a really frustrating government system. My major expansion routes are totally blocked by pirate systems, and constructing a single 7/7 fleet to clear them out rocketed me to majority Militarist elections. But how are you meant to play a space 4X game without building at least a few defensive fleets? It wouldn't be such a problem, but I'm playing as the Empire and foolishly picked the questline that requires you to enact 3 Scientist laws.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's times like this I remember that ES2 came from a French studio. I think it might be some weird gallic humour thing. All the building and resource-related quests are super easy; the real challenge lies in getting the idiot government you nominally control to do what you actually want....
Regardless, setting pirates to "weak" on the starting menu made this game twice as enjoyable.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Prop Wash posted:

Endless Space 2 has a really frustrating government system. My major expansion routes are totally blocked by pirate systems, and constructing a single 7/7 fleet to clear them out rocketed me to majority Militarist elections. But how are you meant to play a space 4X game without building at least a few defensive fleets? It wouldn't be such a problem, but I'm playing as the Empire and foolishly picked the questline that requires you to enact 3 Scientist laws.

yeah it's dumb and it feels like the what-increases-what choices for the political factions were made by someone who never played the game or really any 4x at all

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Prop Wash posted:

If you've researched Xeno Anthropology, you can switch your government type to Democracy which should have four law slots - one for the mandatory Militarist law and then three for Scientist laws. If not, then you'll need to wait until you can go back to a peacetime posture and start making lots of scientific system improvements.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

yeah it's dumb and it feels like the what-increases-what choices for the political factions were made by someone who never played the game or really any 4x at all

I like the fact that it gives your choices a sense of inertia - you can't pivot everything on a dime in the span of one term, especially in terms of your war footing. Letting the militarists stay in charge for a long time can unlock some very useful laws, which can help make up for being an underdog in other respects.

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 8, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I feel that the issue with governments is that playing the game normally does not let you influence your governmnent in the way the devs intend.

You build almost every building everywhere. So there's no option to start spamming science buildings when you need scientists in charge - you just build each building is it is drip fed via tech unlocks, or else you fall behind in developing your empire.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

imo the "convert production into dust/science/whatever" buildings should influence party takeup

want a system to be more sciencey? well, sure, but it'll mean it can't make anything really useful for a number of turns

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

kaynorr posted:

I like the fact that it gives your choices a sense of inertia - you can't pivot everything on a dime in the span of one term, especially in terms of your war footing. Letting the militarists stay in charge for a long time can unlock some very useful laws, which can help make up for being an underdog in other respects.

that's nice in the abstract, the problem is with what things give what political support (and really, which political parties exist in the first place)

going out and stomping on some fool is a standard part of most (if not all) 4x playstyles, so it's not much fun when doing so locks you into one particular dominant party

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So apparently the Riftborn can drop a fleet on a system and trigger a "Dilation Singularity" on it before I get a chance to click 'fight'? Who designed this poo poo? Is this actually an RTS?

edit: How long does this Dilation Singularity garbage last anyway? The game, of course, gives the player zero feedback so I'm sitting with some bizarro unexplained bullshit happening with no explanation what-so-ever.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

everything to do with the riftborn is an exercise in tedium if you're playing them - hell yeah time to micromanage population and manpower. why would it be different playing against them

that dilation singularity will probably reduce your FIDS by 50% for 20 turns, iirc

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

everything to do with the riftborn is an exercise in tedium if you're playing them - hell yeah time to micromanage population and manpower. why would it be different playing against them

that dilation singularity will probably reduce your FIDS by 50% for 20 turns, iirc
Whelp, time to load the game from before their fleet showed up then, good loving god that is obnoxious.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you are micromanaging way too much, just ignore all that crap

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I like the riftborn, their construct pop and time wizardry flavor/gimmick is cool. I haven't played since pre-weapon revamp, but their mid-game ships also aren't particularly strong either, so you have to be careful.

If they drop a dilation field on you, then, depending on circumstances, they probably just wasted a bunch of resources to make that happen. Every use permanently increases the cost of the following uses, this means realistically, you only have so many uses of the fields per game unless you're far out in front.

As a player, I found it's better to use them to buff a system, rather then poo poo on someone else.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am really confused - the AI Riftborn is invading a system of mine even though every time they send a fleet there I nuke it. Is this because they have one of these bullshit Dilation Singularity things on the system? How does any of this stuff even work? How do they have tanks?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It only takes one turn to land an army, then that same ground battle can potentially last for multiple turns.

To effectively defend a system you need to build up your own ground forces, in addition you can build military buildings to increase defense and local manpower. There are also army improvements that unlock with tech, the most obvious/visible being tanks and air craft. Once unlocked, you actually need to spend resources to upgrade them and use manpower to adjust the ratio of soldiers/tanks/air craft. It's sort of rock paper scissors in the sense that they are all effective against, and are hard countered by one of the others.

Or keep a fleet in the system at all times to defend. If you have systems on the "front line" or in choke points then this is what you need to do, you can't just leave systems/planets unguarded because an enemy can immediately land an army. Under normal circumstances this approach is not very effective/wasteful and it's best to hammer down defenses with a fleet before landing your ground troops. If the system has low manpower or low ground tech then it's trivial to take the system in one turn.

Once you get the hang of ground forces, they are an extremely effective tool. My first "introduction" to the importance of defending systems was one of my first games where I left multiple systems/chokepoints completely undefended and the AI just came in and snapped them all up in a couple of turns before my fleets could get there. The opposite is also true, you can take them back while they are undefended and take enormous amounts of space in very little time if you prepare for it.

I usually have at least one support type design which is just full of +manpower modules which I can either built a max fleet of, or supplement a "real" fleet to make taking systems take way less time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh an apparently if I close my borders it doesnt kick out the Unfallen ships that are building their vines to a nebula of mine, but when someone else closes their borders to me it immediately kicks my fleet out? This game is loving horseshit with its complete and utter lack of explanation of things and dumbass arbitrary timing, like an invasion triggering in the middle of me clicking a button to form a fleet of ships at that star, ooohhh but now the game told me that a land battle is happening, so no fleet for me, it goes poof when I lose the system for no discernible reason! Is there any way for me to fix four unfallen vines linking to a nebula of mine? Is there explanation anywhere on how they work?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xik posted:

It only takes one turn to land an army, then that same ground battle can potentially last for multiple turns.

To effectively defend a system you need to build up your own ground forces, in addition you can build military buildings to increase defense and local manpower. There are also army improvements that unlock with tech, the most obvious/visible being tanks and air craft. Once unlocked, you actually need to spend resources to upgrade them and use manpower to adjust the ratio of soldiers/tanks/air craft. It's sort of rock paper scissors in the sense that they are all effective against, and are hard countered by one of the others.

Or keep a fleet in the system at all times to defend. If you have systems on the "front line" or in choke points then this is what you need to do, you can't just leave systems/planets unguarded because an enemy can immediately land an army. Under normal circumstances this approach is not very effective/wasteful and it's best to hammer down defenses with a fleet before landing your ground troops. If the system has low manpower or low ground tech then it's trivial to take the system in one turn.

Once you get the hang of ground forces, they are an extremely effective tool. My first "introduction" to the importance of defending systems was one of my first games where I left multiple systems/chokepoints completely undefended and the AI just came in and snapped them all up in a couple of turns before my fleets could get there. The opposite is also true, you can take them back while they are undefended and take enormous amounts of space in very little time if you prepare for it.

I usually have at least one support type design which is just full of +manpower modules which I can either built a max fleet of, or supplement a "real" fleet to make taking systems take way less time.
Thank you for the explanation, I had no idea they could drop the troops then lose their fleet and continue on with the invasion anyway. I had had a few beers last night and was completely mystified.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This game is loving horseshit with its complete and utter lack of explanation of things and dumbass arbitrary timing

yes

it's not ideal

i think to loose the vines you'd need to remove unfallen ownership of any systems linking to the nebula

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Xik posted:

I like the riftborn, their construct pop and time wizardry flavor/gimmick is cool. I haven't played since pre-weapon revamp, but their mid-game ships also aren't particularly strong either, so you have to be careful.

If they drop a dilation field on you, then, depending on circumstances, they probably just wasted a bunch of resources to make that happen. Every use permanently increases the cost of the following uses, this means realistically, you only have so many uses of the fields per game unless you're far out in front.

As a player, I found it's better to use them to buff a system, rather then poo poo on someone else.
That's not true anymore, or at least not true of the +25% fids basic bubble. Which is basically the only bubble worth using almost, gods what a waste. The -fids bubble is just warmongering, might as well use a fleet and blockade the system. The other two 'midgame' ones arrive waaaaay too late, and look to be incredibly niche. Stasis bubbles look useful, but are teir5. And they all have to be researched instead of being free tier unlocks. Terrible design.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This game is loving horseshit with its complete and utter lack of explanation of things
Basically yea. After I finish my current run I think I might fire up EL again. ES2 is pretty, but a poor game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

That's not true anymore, or at least not true of the +25% fids basic bubble. Which is basically the only bubble worth using almost, gods what a waste. The -fids bubble is just warmongering, might as well use a fleet and blockade the system. The other two 'midgame' ones arrive waaaaay too late, and look to be incredibly niche. Stasis bubbles look useful, but are teir5. And they all have to be researched instead of being free tier unlocks. Terrible design.

Basically yea. After I finish my current run I think I might fire up EL again. ES2 is pretty, but a poor game.
Same. I won a game on Normal once I figured out enough to actually get through a game without rage quitting because of confusion about how the game worked (and someone indicating that you can turn pirates down in options). So then I tried Hard and won that with ease, and then won a game on Serious with a little effort. Playing on Impossible now and it really shows you how hosed the design is with some things; they are lessons in "I shouldnt do this thing that way ever again" but they are lessons a player should not have to learn. The fact that turns are simultaneous and the AI sees what you do during your turn and can react is beyond unforgivable to me, it just makes no sense and is not a game mechanic that fits in a turn based game. Its like they built a meta that requires the player have Scan Probes on their ships to launch one, every turn, at nearby stars that are owned by hostile AI so you dont accidentally move your fleet away from a friendly star that it is protecting - the fact that the AI can see my fleet depart a star and launch their own (even from the star that is my fleet's destination before I get there and can trigger a battle) to my departure point is completely bonkers - that is an RTS aspect that has no business being in the game. The fact that if the AI has a strong enough fleet it can then trigger an invasion on said star before I can micro another fleet onto the star to kick their fleet off is just mindboggling.

I could go on but there really is no point because I imagine most of you dont care to read more of my bad posts about ES2. I also bought EL in the same sale - does that have the same problem with things not being explained either at all or well enough?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 10, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

es2 is way worse than EL in terms of that, but yes, there are some puzzling elements that need experience to counteract

and movement happens simultaenously as well!!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

es2 is way worse than EL in terms of that, but yes, there are some puzzling elements that need experience to counteract

and movement happens simultaenously as well!!!
Cool, thanks, knowing that going in will at least prepare me for it so its less of an "wtf is going on?" feeling while I get a feel for it. Also I saw some great posts about EL earlier in the thread when I first started reading it a while back so I may go back through some of those.

I dont hate ES2 but its problems kill any replayability :shrug:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
EL is a much, much better game. It still has the simultaneous turns, but I think there is an option for non simultaneous in a menu somewhere

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah EL is way better, and it's also had the benefits of a bunch of expansions to add more mechanics and smooth off rough edges

es2 has been in early access for ages though so i'm a bit puzzled as to why it's so nonsensical

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Serephina posted:

I haven't played in a couple patches so I guess that was a recent change. While I'll enjoy having 3 +fids up constantly when I play them, seems like it would be terrible to play vs them.

I might have to spin up another game and see how it actually plays. Maybe they've found some other way to balance then? (Increased cost)?

Also agree that EL is a superior game, both in terms of mechanis and "flavour"/lore, but it always comes down to prefering the sci fi setting to fantasy for me...

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of EL, it's $5.99 at fanatical for 24 hours.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/endless-legend-emperor-edition

Pretty good deal. Its either this or wait for the base game + all DLC to go on deep discount together on steam I guess.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Xik posted:

Speaking of EL, it's $5.99 at fanatical for 24 hours.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/endless-legend-emperor-edition

Pretty good deal. Its either this or wait for the base game + all DLC to go on deep discount together on steam I guess.

Steam winter sale is coming, but still $5.99 for emperor edition is a bargain

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I goofed real bad. I took so many tries to get the vodyani quest done that I forgot to, you know, read the flavor text? the mission log? the story? I got up to the final chapter and I"m like nice, I'm finally gonna be able to do it, and then I read those two but there's no way to go back and read the ones I missed. Is there a wiki or something where I can just read about her bad brother or whatever?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
There's someone currently in the process of updating the wiki (the one at http://endless-space-2.wikia.com/, I think, not the official one) to include the faction quests, although they haven't gotten to the Vodyani yet. If you're willing to wait a week or two, it may very well be up by then. Also, there's an option to view completed quests on the quests screen. I'm not sure if you checked it already and don't remember if it even has all the flavor text and more than the most recent chapter of the faction quest, but it's worth a try if you haven't looked at it.

Edit: Actually, it looks like they're just adding the quest rewards and skipping most of the flavor text. Short of digging around in the XML, you may be out of luck.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 16, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well I have a save from just before I started blowing up planets so I guess I can catch up that way. Thank you.

e: ah, well that explains why I had to stop being religious in the senate.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 17, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is there a goon-recommended beginner's guide for Endless Space 2? Just picked up this game and I'm totally lost.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I liked the 4x alchemist youtube videos. That very very very nervous man explaining every single step of the way. His strategies do not work, you cannot min-max like that after the last six months of patches, but you get some tips about using probes and then rebuilding the ship so you get more probes, to find the best system to expand to faster, and he explains the point of FIDSI and what worlds are easy or hard to expand to.

anyway, my question, I'm starting horatio and my first quest gives me a reward that is a building I can only build once that gives +4 on original empire population. Does that only apply to that system or does having that building make that happen everywhere? I just want it to be clear and say "+4 industry on original empire population in system" so I don't wonder.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty clearly applies to local system only.

edit: Wow that description is totally misleading then

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 19, 2017

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

I liked the 4x alchemist youtube videos. That very very very nervous man explaining every single step of the way. His strategies do not work, you cannot min-max like that after the last six months of patches, but you get some tips about using probes and then rebuilding the ship so you get more probes, to find the best system to expand to faster, and he explains the point of FIDSI and what worlds are easy or hard to expand to.

anyway, my question, I'm starting horatio and my first quest gives me a reward that is a building I can only build once that gives +4 on original empire population. Does that only apply to that system or does having that building make that happen everywhere? I just want it to be clear and say "+4 industry on original empire population in system" so I don't wonder.

I tested and completed that questline. Yeah, all your horatio pops everywgere get +4 food. Its a pain to fit in, but it really helps you expand. That wonder and cash money buying a sustainable farm explodes your pop gen.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol holy gently caress i never bothered building it because i thought it was just local

does Intensive Cultivation do the same thing?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lol holy gently caress i never bothered building it because i thought it was just local

does Intensive Cultivation do the same thing?

Been a while since I built it, but that one is system only. Quest rewards are really a cut above regular national wonders in this game.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is there a point to using armor and ballistic weapons? I'm honestly wondering why they're in the game at all? Either you use shields, which regenerate to full every turn, and missiles/lasers, which let you attack from the longest range, and survive every single battle at full health, or use ballistics and armor and die, now or later.

I'm just wondering if there's some module I never found that mitigates Definitely Losing Health to chip damage from an infinite pile of pirates worth losing your fleets over.

Like, is there a reason to ever not stack shield heroes on shield ships and using the card "power to shields" because everything else wipes my fleet sooner or later and shuffling up my deck baffles me because one hundred percent of these cards look awful. I would never use the "I'm planning on dying here so i'm going to get extra XP after its over for the survivors" strategy. I'm not going to risk my fleet taking damage to get twenty extra dust. The only one that looks even usable in a niche case is diplomatic immunity but I'd rather just pile on more shields and babysit them with a vodyani admiral.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

There are some special material modules that restore health during battle and after the battle but the generic nanobots module only restores health after the battle.

It's worth trying out the Get Lucky and Barrage cards since they both increase damage on long range weapons. The former is useful for weapons with critical chances and the latter just adds percentage to long range damage for every CP in the fleet.

And yeah, there's no point to any other defense module types than shields at the moment because it absorbs both kinetic and energy damage.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Danann posted:

And yeah, there's no point to any other defense module types than shields at the moment because it absorbs both kinetic and energy damage.
:stonk: wish I would have known this before playing on the second hardest difficulty... and I still wiped the floor with AI fleets late game.

Danann posted:

There are some special material modules that restore health during battle and after the battle but the generic nanobots module only restores health after the battle.

It's worth trying out the Get Lucky and Barrage cards since they both increase damage on long range weapons. The former is useful for weapons with critical chances and the latter just adds percentage to long range damage for every CP in the fleet.
I only ever do the Turtle one because I take losses with every other tactic card that you can chose. It completely mystifies me. Sometimes I had success with the +2% damage at long range if they had a lot of small ships, but even then it sometimes got really messy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Danann posted:

lol why is this loving game so opaque