Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Families are fine. But do we really need two of the same person running around the MU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

From what issue are the time displaced X-Men suppose to be from?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm in the families are fine but you only need one of each character camp. Speaking of which, who the gently caress is Bloodstorm? Just like, an alternate universe version of Storm where everyone is vampires? Is that necessary? Wasn't the point of House of M to decrease the sheer number of mutants in the Marvel universe? So since then their big plan has been to repopulate by doubling up on all existing mutants?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

House of M had two purposes: 1) to remove mutants as their own subculture, because when you do that, it stops being an allegory for real-world subcultures; and 2) to remove "mutant" as an origin since it was lazy. That virtually no major character was actually depowered as a result of HoM makes it clear this was their actual intention. It was never to make there be fewer mutant characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cocks Cable posted:

From what issue are the time displaced X-Men suppose to be from?

Within the first ten of Uncanny, I want say right after issue 6.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

davebo posted:

I'm in the families are fine but you only need one of each character camp. Speaking of which, who the gently caress is Bloodstorm? Just like, an alternate universe version of Storm where everyone is vampires? Is that necessary? Wasn't the point of House of M to decrease the sheer number of mutants in the Marvel universe? So since then their big plan has been to repopulate by doubling up on all existing mutants?

Bloodstorm was from Mutant X - the comic that sprung from Havok being in a coma and having his consciousness displaced to an alternate reality (X-Factor V1 #149). Not everyone there is vampire. If memory serves, her origin is that instead of being freed by Kitty, as happened in 616, she succumbed to Dracula and was turned. (Uncanny #159 is the original Dracula story)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Endless Mike posted:

1) to remove mutants as their own subculture, because when you do that, it stops being an allegory for real-world subcultures;

See, I always felt the opposite was true. When mutants were a culture, rather than just an origin, it made the metaphor stronger for me. Now they don't really seem like an allegory for much of anything, these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had an interesting conversation at the store. What race is Laura (Wolverine) portrayed as in the comics? Because it seems she's become something of a hispanic icon since Logan was released but I was under the impression that her comic book mom was Asian? Have they clarified this ever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's as Asian as Logan is.

Her mother wasn't Asian either, and even if she was her DNA wasn't used in the cloning.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

She's as Asian as Logan is.

Her mother wasn't Asian either, and even if she was her DNA wasn't used in the cloning.

I'm probably just thinking of how she was drawn in her early mini series. My customer was pretty adamant that she was hispanic in comics and film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm probably just thinking of how she was drawn in her early mini series. My customer was pretty adamant that she was hispanic in comics and film.

Yeah, the artist's style on the X-23 origin miniseries made a lot of people think she's asian.

She's never been hispanic either, but just on the front page of a GIS I can see a few examples that might make someone think that.

According to comic book science she's 100% Wolverine except for the parts that allow her to be female, and have her 3rd claw on the foot.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

According to comic book science she's 100% Wolverine except for the parts that allow her to be female, and have her 3rd claw on the foot.

She's 100% Wolverine except without the alteration of the Y-chromosome that made Logan biologically male, there was damage to the DNA sample they were using that was causing the clones to fail and so Kinney decided to make an unauthorized clone without trying to alter the gender expression. Moving the third claw to her feet was because nature likes its clones to be more rad than the source, one of many reasons Laura is my one true Wolverine.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think she's supposed to be hispanic in X-Men Evolution where she debuted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Her surrogate mom may have been Asian (I don't recall), but that doesn't matter in the slightest since there's no actual blood relation between the two. Similarly, her DNA is entirely Wolverine who is a Canadian, so neither Hispanic nor Latinx.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Laura's a clone of wolverine who's descended from wolves

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Laura looks an awful lot like Sarah Kinney despite there being no genetic relationship whatsoever, but that might be some kind of ongoing art error. I wanted to say that Sarah's genetics were used to patch up the incomplete DNA from Logan, but I could be mistaken.

"X-Men: Evolution" Laura was distinctly darker-skinned than comics Laura.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Wanderer posted:

Laura looks an awful lot like Sarah Kinney despite there being no genetic relationship whatsoever, but that might be some kind of ongoing art error. I wanted to say that Sarah's genetics were used to patch up the incomplete DNA from Logan, but I could be mistaken.

Well you made me curious so I just re-read all of Innocence Lost, and there's no mention of that. But she's a white, black-haired woman and Laura's a white, black-haired girl, and Sarah DID carry her to term, albeit not by choice, but it's obvious she sees Laura as her daughter. I'm not sure if it was intentional that they look similar but I kinda read it as an unspoken thing, that Sarah couldn't help but bond with Laura because not only did she birth her but Laura even looked like she was her daughter. I wouldn't call it an art error. I'd call it an interesting coincidence, hopefully intentional. Despite not being built squat and jacked like Logan (and I'm no biologist but I'd call that having something to do with Logan having to lug around a 400-lb skeleton), he is always depicted as a black-haired white guy, so they look about as familial as you can get for a father and genetic-twin clone daughter in a medium where they're illustrated by a hundred different people.
Also of note: People used to make a big deal when (I think it was) Bendis started writing her that she wasn't supposed to use contractions in her speech, but she only says like five complete sentences in this 6-issue mini, the last two of which are "Please don't leave... please don't leave me" after she kills Sarah in a chemical-rage.
Man, I really, really love this book. (Also I love that the "Complete" X-23 doesn't include NYX. Just a little gently caress-you to the stain that the character will probably never be able to lose.)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Counterpoint: all white people look alike.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I’m guessing at some point Taylor is going to reveal a biological mother, probably Sarah. Laura has been depicted in ANW with the same green eyes as Gabby and Sarah consistently since he’s been writing her, and it’s kind of impossible for a pure clone of a blue eyed person to have green eyes.

The only reason I kind of doubt it’s Sarah now is that the last arc would have been a good time to drop that and they didn’t.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They're going to pull a Superboy and it'll be Lady Deathstrike as her mother.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In any case, even if they do want to reveal Sarah as her real mother she's still just a plain old white person.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Edmund Lava posted:

and it’s kind of impossible for a pure clone of a blue eyed person to have green eyes.
It's actually possible, but incredibly unlikely.

identical twins and I guess by extension clones are kinda weird.

Tampering with genes to make them female could have additional effects.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
If they used the birth mother's egg cells it's not surprising. There are many traits that are affected by other parts of the egg cell and conditions in the womb during fetal development. Sprinkle on a bit of comic book science and you can justify anything.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

rantmo posted:

She's 100% Wolverine except without the alteration of the Y-chromosome that made Logan biologically male, there was damage to the DNA sample they were using that was causing the clones to fail and so Kinney decided to make an unauthorized clone without trying to alter the gender expression. Moving the third claw to her feet was because nature likes its clones to be more rad than the source, one of many reasons Laura is my one true Wolverine.
There was actually one point in time where I thought that Laura had one of Sarah Kinney's X-chromosomes (because it seems bad to me if Laura if had 2 identical X-chromosomes). I also thought Sarah was Asian (mainly because of the art in Innocence Lost but a little in Liu's run), making Laura partly Asian. When I went back to check they said nothing about having one of Sarah's chromosomes and nothing indicates that Sarah is Asian, in fact Kinney is a Scottish name. I think I made a post about this in the question thread at some point.

edit: Majorie Liu tweeted this once maybe this is why I thought it: That said, I always imagined X-23 as part Asian, through her mother. But that's just me.

She said that here

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 18, 2017

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
How old is Laura supposed to be now? Does the healing factor kick in once you hit puberty and start slowing down the aging process immediately, or since you're still growing at that point, the healing factor doesn't view it as cell deterioration and you just age normal speed until you're like 25ish? One thing I didn't get about Old Man Logan is how it took Wolverine 200 years to get to look like he's 40, then only another 40 years to look like he's 65. I assume since his healing factory doesn't heal him as fast that it also doesn't slow down his aging as well, but I'd love some kind of chart with a bell curve showing when a Wolverine-type is at peak Wolverinitude.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

davebo posted:

How old is Laura supposed to be now? Does the healing factor kick in once you hit puberty and start slowing down the aging process immediately, or since you're still growing at that point, the healing factor doesn't view it as cell deterioration and you just age normal speed until you're like 25ish? One thing I didn't get about Old Man Logan is how it took Wolverine 200 years to get to look like he's 40, then only another 40 years to look like he's 65. I assume since his healing factory doesn't heal him as fast that it also doesn't slow down his aging as well, but I'd love some kind of chart with a bell curve showing when a Wolverine-type is at peak Wolverinitude.

Canonically 20, give or take, as of two or three issues ago. I'd say it's probably fair to assume one would age normally til ~20-25 for the reasons you mentioned. At some point in there you're at peak physical condition before stuff starts to deteriorate. I think the Marvel-Brand Healing Factor wears down eventually; it's the only thing that makes sense. Add to that that for Logan and Laura it's constantly working to make sure they aren't killed by Adamantium poisoning. Maybe eventually it has to give up the "stop aging" part to fully do the "don't die immediately" part.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mutants normally only get their powers at puberty too.

Manifesting early is usually a sign of being omega level or beyond.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Aphrodite posted:

Mutants normally only get their powers at puberty too.

Manifesting early is usually a sign of being omega level or beyond.

Severe trauma can do it too, at least that’s the case with Laura who was seven when her powers activated. I seem to remember that’s also the reason the didn’t coat her whole skeleton in adamantium.

I’m guessing she’s going to stop aging around mid twenties to early thirties like pretty much every comic book character, but with an excuse this time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The customer who made the claim that started this discussion informs me that she's been a hispanic icon for years. So im just gonna guess that he has no idea what he's talking about.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
The first new comic I've bought in over a decade was that Marvel Legacy one, where good old original Wolverine was suddenly back with no explanation. Have they followed up with that at all since then? I feel like that was a few months ago and I wasn't sure where I look to next to find out what his deal is. I've been reading someone's copies of X-Men Gold and Old Man Logan but those both have old wolvie still.

Also regarding white people being hispanic icons, does that make Laura the new Morrissey? Spanish people are just white Europeans, so as long as she speaks Spanish that's enough of a link for Hispanics to like her, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wolverine will be in a bunch of backup stories starting next month.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/11/20/wolverine-marvel-post-credits-scenes/

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Edmund Lava posted:

I’m guessing she’s going to stop aging around mid twenties to early thirties like pretty much every comic book character, but with an excuse this time.

Bobbi Moore kind of has a reason for that. And I guess Jubilee does too. The others can feel a bit weird sometimes. It feels like Kate Bishop could catch up with Clint in a few years.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cabbit posted:

See, I always felt the opposite was true. When mutants were a culture, rather than just an origin, it made the metaphor stronger for me. Now they don't really seem like an allegory for much of anything, these days.

Same, really. I can't really put it into words why I like it, but mutants developing their own subculture was fascinating to me. House of M sucks for taking that away. Also, I think mutants getting depowered is what also started Beast into a path of being a badly-written character.

davebo posted:

The first new comic I've bought in over a decade was that Marvel Legacy one, where good old original Wolverine was suddenly back with no explanation. Have they followed up with that at all since then? I feel like that was a few months ago and I wasn't sure where I look to next to find out what his deal is.

I know it's pretty much a long shot, but I still hope it's not OG Logan coming back but Howlett from X-Treme X-Men. Just have Howlett and Hercules adopt Laura and Gabby.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Laura doesn't need to be adopted she has her own apartment and poo poo already, and has basically already adopted Gabby.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Laura doesn't need to be adopted she has her own apartment and poo poo already, and has basically already adopted Gabby.

Everybody needs Herc and Howlett as their adoptive dads. Everybody.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Laura has her poo poo together better than like 99% of the Marvel Universe.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cable repeatedly calling her X-23 in the most recent issue of his title made me so loving mad. It's like, dammit Nate, I know your book is rapidly declining in quality, particularly the art, but you will show proper respect to the best Wolverine that there ever was.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
If she were so great she wouldn't have had to gank Logan's steez.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

rantmo posted:

Cable repeatedly calling her X-23 in the most recent issue of his title made me so loving mad. It's like, dammit Nate, I know your book is rapidly declining in quality, particularly the art, but you will show proper respect to the best Wolverine that there ever was.

He's using mutants from the past, so she was going by X-23 at that point, hence the old costume.

Also, Malin drew Armor with goat legs at one point during that issue, so bad is his ability to draw feet. Or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I took one look at that books art and it was a hard pass.