Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not trying to get people to do anything though? I'm just laughing at idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
##vote kashuno fake posting

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yesterday I got Cutter's Cry in Leveling Roulette with a sprout healer. At the very first pull they hosed something up and the tank died. They apologized profusely but the tank immediately went into primadonna mode. I told him to stop being rude to the sprout healer and his response was "they've been in a dungeon before". Later we get to the bombs and the dude just doesn't even move to get out of explosions and dies a horrible death. I didn't waste the opportunity.

Me: You've been in a dungeon before you should know how to get out of AoEs or to stun them out of it.
Tank: Kill them before they explode.
Me: Or you could just stun them. You have that button. : )

We get to the first boss and the tank proceeds to stand there doing nothing as if he's somehow proving a point about how easy healing is as our sprout deals with me tanking things with my RDM face. Saying "wow so hard to heal". After the boss we vote kicked him and I gave him the parting comment of "clearly we didn't need you anyways".

Anyways the point of this story is that lovely idiots come in all roles. Namaste.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

##vote kashuno fake posting

Fister Roboto is the scum here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not trying to get people to do anything though?

Then why are you making a big drama show out of it and huffing about how you don't need their queues anyway? Making sure everyone knows you refuse to cast protect involves a lot more attention seeking and random aggrivation of dudes you're randomly running a dungeon with than casting the silly spell, and in addition you actually get an extremely minor defensive buff and a neat visual effect out of casting it too! There's absolutely no benefit to it except being an rear end to people you don't know and probably won't see again and wasting everyone's time, including your own even if you get a fast queue back in. v:shobon:v

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not trying to get people to do anything though? I'm just laughing at idiots.

So, I mean

At the end of a run do you just tell them the issue with Protect so they too can spread the word?

Or do you just queue for something else to laugh at a new group?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I tank Castrum Meriandum and Praetorium as WHM and a lot of times it gets laughs and people say it's the most interesting MSQR they've done in a while, but sometimes people get mad and I get kicked.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I like protect because it has the nifty spell effect when you get hit like the light is protecting you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Then why are you making a big drama show out of it and huffing about how you don't need their queues anyway? Making sure everyone knows you refuse to cast protect involves a lot more attention seeking and random aggrivation of dudes you're randomly running a dungeon with than casting the silly spell, and in addition you actually get an extremely minor defensive buff and a neat visual effect out of casting it too! There's absolutely no benefit to it except being an rear end to people you don't know and probably won't see again and wasting everyone's time, including your own even if you get a fast queue back in. v:shobon:v

You're making this out to be a lot bigger deal than it actually is, my friend.

MechaX posted:

So, I mean

At the end of a run do you just tell them the issue with Protect so they too can spread the word?

Or do you just queue for something else to laugh at a new group?

Like I said, 99% of the time all I say is {Don't worry about it.} and we get on with the dungeon. If they make a big deal about it, I wait patiently for them to either get over themselves or votekick me, at which point I just requeue instantly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You're making this out to be a lot bigger deal than it actually is, my friend.

You're not actually answering the question though.

You are refusing to cast an actually helpful (if boring and mathmatically unimportant) buff which, in your own words, 1% of the time slows down the dungeon run or causes you to have to waste your time queuing back into a dungeon? What benefit does this have? Like you're clearly proud of it so what benefit does it have for you?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Because it's funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Because it's funny.

So, yes, you're being an rear end in a top hat to random people for no reason. Gotcha.

Edit: Hell, at least do it with Esuna. Esuna's just short of Protect for being useless because of the occasional Doom mechanic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 18, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People have bragged about doing far, far worse things ITT so it's pretty hilarious that not casting protect gets such scorn.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
If I don't get my protect I shirk the healer whenever it's up and cum super hard. :smugdog:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Just last night I got Spooky House in LDR. The tank was standing still and said "Protect?" and I said "Just go fam" and he did. Then we finished the dungeon and the healer was quiet the entire time. It was pleasant.

It's only in 24 mans that I really see people throwing fits and that's usually because drat it C just stand on the loving pads.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Like I said, 99% of the time all I say is {Don't worry about it.} and we get on with the dungeon. If they make a big deal about it, I wait patiently for them to either get over themselves or votekick me, at which point I just requeue instantly.

So what happens in that remaining 1%?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

So, yes, you're being an rear end in a top hat to random people for no reason. Gotcha.

Fister Roboto posted:

People have bragged about doing far, far worse things ITT so it's pretty hilarious that not casting protect gets such scorn.

Tank the dragon in the center!

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I run a lot of mentor roulette and I find tanks and healers are by far the ones with the biggest egos and believe highly their own self importance. So it's not so surprising that you might come across a pissing match between a tank and a healer. I admit I've done it myself

That being said, the majority of people in all roles are pretty nice and easy going. I also run into a lot of tanks and healers who have low confidence and are happy to hear any advice you give them. In addition, the majority of people are amicable to being told how things work and what things are worthwhile and what things aren't, if you take the time to explain it to them. I think a lot of the issue is that people don't want to talk to strangers on the internet like they'd speak to strangers on the street. Instead, people talk to strangers on the internet like they've kicked their dog or something.

That being said, I never slot Protect in a trial or use a macro because some rear end in a top hat tanks think they're being clever and hit their ranged attack as soon as they see the cast go out and you get locked out of switching. It doesn't really matter, but it's still kind of a piss off!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

As far as I know people have called those people assholes.

I guess I just don't understand the point of being needlessly antagonistic. One of advantages of the FFXIV community that I've encountered is that it's mostly pretty chill.

super sweet best pal posted:

Tank the dragon in the center!

That's all I see in Alliance Roulettes these days!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
personally, my methods of playing (and indeed, living my personal life) do not involve actively antagonizing my fellow human, and i think i have been kicked from like four dungeon runs in my entire career (almost all of which i asked them to do)

you’re a weird guy

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I wish there was a way to proactively punish people for not commending me

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ImpAtom posted:

That's all I see in Alliance Roulettes these days!

Yeah, at this point everyone can survive and its faster to just let the skeletons run into the dragon.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
ff14 is not a competitive game and no one benefits from someone being a dick. That applies to everyone!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Storyline status update: Ishgard is full of awful people.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ah you've made it to the best part of the story

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If by best part you mean I'm glad to be out of that wasteland of ice and assholes, yes, yes I did reach the best part.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Hey, what'd you expect? They're Catholic elves!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Any resemblance Elf Pope and The Church Pedophiles bear to any real life religion or religions is fully coincidental please do not sue Square Enix Holdings Co., LTD.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

There is at least one good person there.

Maybe two.

Maybe.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Kinda hosed up how Hilda is the best Hyur and the best Elezen. Like whoa, leave some best spots for the other people!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Ishgard is hilarious because its population is just full of spiteful people.

It's not like what you'll see in Stormblood; most Ishgardians just live to be grumpy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MechaX posted:

So what happens in that remaining 1%?

Fister Roboto posted:

If they make a big deal about it, I wait patiently for them to either get over themselves or votekick me, at which point I just requeue instantly.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I wanted to clarify that; made it seem like it was possible that there actually would not be a time where you would tell then not to worry and I was genuinely curious

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kashuno posted:

ff14 is not a competitive game and no one benefits from someone being a dick. That applies to everyone!

Yeah, it's not like goons ever do things just to annoy other players for no other reason than they can. :jerkbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swB-CbSZZdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt7H9HZ_gD8

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
My squadron healer will cast Protect at the beginning of a dungeon. It is sad that real players cannot meet that minimal bar.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you, for some reason, derive satisfaction from antagonizing internet strangers who have literally done nothing to you, that is almost certainly an indicator of psychological illness

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you, for some reason, derive satisfaction from antagonizing internet strangers who have literally done nothing to you, that is almost certainly an indicator of psychological illness

Being an rear end in a top hat is not a mental illness,

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
The quoted 5% damage reduction on tank seems significant, so I'm not sure why people are saying its useless. Its not going to be the deciding factor for a competent party, but why make things harder than they need to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was running my squadron through WP, and the tank just goes completely clownshoes on the last boss. I have to keep spamming disengage/engage otherwise my tank runs to one of the recent adds, then back to the boss, then to a different add that's been one-shot by me already, back to the tank, etc.

Still had to do the boss with just the healer from 40% down. Tank couldn't hold aggro on the boss, other dps took it and died, and the healer didn't cast protect or something so the tank died.

e: useless is strong , but 5% mitigation means that if a tank has 60,000HP (and protect) and never drops below 3000 HP for the entire dungeon, protect didn't save their life. When you factor in a normal healer has 15-30% overheal, it doesn't even cause the healer to heal less.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 18, 2017