Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
We fully expect to be credited your shipping fee times the number of fatalities. PLEASE ADVISE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blood is a good lubricant, we predict shipping along this route will be 1.3% faster and result in a 0.57% fuel savings for that leg of the journey until the next rain.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hi just checking to see if any blood or bits of organs got on our stuff please advise

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The old lady is in the back, burrowed under the towel

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spoeank posted:

There are five good christmas songs

Christmas in Hollis
The Night Santa Went Crazy
Christmas at Ground Zero
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (DMX)

And the hottest diss track of all time

You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch

I like Death Cab's version of Baby Please Come Home. Also Last Christmas. Oh and the Blink 182 Christmas song.

Christmas at Ground Zero is great too.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Intruder posted:

One of the best parts of working remotely: I currently have two dogs sleeping next to me, occasionally nuzzling me

I am glad mine doesn't try to participate in the conference calls

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
When I did desk reviews from home and had to call body shops our tortie who died suddenly earlier this year would literally meow into the phone because I had stopped giving her attention to make the phone call :3:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Intruder posted:

Those are some really good dogs.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Intruder posted:

I like the coloring :3:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Dogs are always great

Boop all dogs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehud posted:

I like the coloring :3:

She's beautiful but also a giant pain in the rear end

I love her to death

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

When I did desk reviews from home and had to call body shops our tortie who died suddenly earlier this year would literally meow into the phone because I had stopped giving her attention to make the phone call :3:

I have a cat who will interrupt my phone calls (I use a headset and VOIP). I had two, but the other one was the one who we had to put down two weeks ago. My co-workers are familiar with my cats' voices, lol.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I.T. pet peeve. When you are going to instant message me for help, don't just type "Hi" and wait for me to respond. Tell me wtf you want or I am never going to reply!

Annoys the piss out of me!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

weird Asian candy posted:

I.T. pet peeve. When you are going to instant message me for help, don't just type "Hi" and wait for me to respond. Tell me wtf you want or I am never going to reply!

I'm That Guy

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

In the same vein when I get a message from someone that feels like they have to chat a bit before they ask me what they want. Especially when it's someone in the company I've never met and couldn't pick out of a lineup. Just tell me what you want!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

That and the sudden omnipresence of Last Christmas have really confounded me this December.

I don't get that one. It's so tangentially related to Christmas that it's not even a winter song, let alone a Christmas song.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
When will this be a single already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qepCaKQOLjg

Also, owns that the Panthers went from being run by the grossest dude ever to a former Panthers cheerleader, talk about Reversal of Fortune.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

I'm That Guy

Hi

Joey Freshwater posted:

In the same vein when I get a message from someone that feels like they have to chat a bit before they ask me what they want. Especially when it's someone in the company I've never met and couldn't pick out of a lineup. Just tell me what you want!

It absolutely drives me insane! But yeah, chit chatting beforehand all awkward because you both know it's just fluff until you get to the effing point...grr. It's up there with I.T. people who provide no detail for an issue, don't reproduce the issue, note the steps, etc. "User can't run a report". Well thanks a lot LARRY!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

If people hate trump so much then why browns

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/942500918901256193

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Hi

It absolutely drives me insane! But yeah, chit chatting beforehand all awkward because you both know it's just fluff until you get to the effing point...grr. It's up there with I.T. people who provide no detail for an issue, don't reproduce the issue, note the steps, etc. "User can't run a report". Well thanks a lot LARRY!

Internet doesn't work.

Please help

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The trick to getting a quick IT response is to say hi but also include screenshots, video, error log, the rights to your unborn child's name, a dowry, an ounce of weed, two six packs of good beer, and a list of steps to replicate the problem. Works every time.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The trick to getting a quick IT response is to say hi but also include screenshots, video, error log, the rights to your unborn child's name, a dowry, an ounce of weed, two six packs of good beer, and a list of steps to replicate the problem. Works every time.

Nah, video is too over the top

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hi

Hi wAc. How was your day?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I have a problem with the fan in my laptop where it sounds like a helicopter taking off of my desk randomly. Like after I've been using my laptop for a while and it starts getting hot the fan kicks on, runs faster and faster and it sounds like it or the motor is grinding against something and it's SUPER loud. Then it finally catches and shuts off, only to kick back on a minute later, repeat, repeat.

I talked to the IT guys about it and he had me run the system diagnostics which didn't return any errors, so he told me there was nothing he could do because there was nothing wrong.

Meanwhile he keeps asking to repeat myself because I have him on speakerphone and the fan is so loud it's drowning me out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Our IT policy is so stupid. I had to call a line to reset my password (because why let people choose their own passwords, am I right?) And the password they gave me is the first four letters of my name, a symbol, then 1234. Everyone in my office has the same setup.

If someone called in and did some social engineering we would all be screwed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I still have trouble accepting that he isn't just some actor getting way into character for a role as a crazy talk show host

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

But yeah, chit chatting beforehand all awkward because you both know it's just fluff until you get to the effing point...grr.

Hi, out here in normal human society, it is considered polite and even mandatory to engage a person (especially a person you do not know) with a polite greeting before dumping all your poo poo in their lap. Your co-workers are attempting to be courteous and it's silly to hold that against them.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I have a problem with the fan in my laptop where it sounds like a helicopter taking off of my desk randomly. Like after I've been using my laptop for a while and it starts getting hot the fan kicks on, runs faster and faster and it sounds like it or the motor is grinding against something and it's SUPER loud. Then it finally catches and shuts off, only to kick back on a minute later, repeat, repeat.

I talked to the IT guys about it and he had me run the system diagnostics which didn't return any errors, so he told me there was nothing he could do because there was nothing wrong.

Meanwhile he keeps asking to repeat myself because I have him on speakerphone and the fan is so loud it's drowning me out.

there's dust or something in your fan. Get a can of compressed air and blow all that poo poo out. If it's still a problem, probably your fan has a bad bearing and the fan needs to be replaced. Don't engage the IT people with troubleshooting, just tell them you have a bad fan and you need it swapped out. Also apparently don't bother saying hi or anything, just send a curt email demanding a new fan.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I still have trouble accepting that he isn't just some actor getting way into character for a role as a crazy talk show host

if trump told him falling off cliffs is maga he'd do it

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Hi, out here in normal human society, it is considered polite and even mandatory to engage a person (especially a person you do not know) with a polite greeting before dumping all your poo poo in their lap. Your co-workers are attempting to be courteous and it's silly to hold that against them.

No. stfu and tell me what the problem is so I can fix it then get back to my laundry list of other crap I need to fix kthx

pubic works project posted:

Hi wAc. How was your day?

Hi buddy! Not bad actually :hfive:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

I accidentally tricked a chud in the replies into admitting we need to eat the rich. They're so dumb :allears:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I discovered inadvertently that if you forget about your sparkling water in the freezer overnight then let it melt it's still carbonated somehow

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Vertical Lime posted:

my favorite memory of that guy is the time he got into a huge thing about how Trump could not possibly like nazis because nazis are bad and trump is good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

seiferguy posted:

Our IT policy is so stupid. I had to call a line to reset my password (because why let people choose their own passwords, am I right?) And the password they gave me is the first four letters of my name, a symbol, then 1234. Everyone in my office has the same setup.

If someone called in and did some social engineering we would all be screwed.

For offices it's probably safest to just force everyone to have a weird complex password, then let everyone write it on a sticky note they attach to their monitor. No one attacks a computer system by physically breaking into an a building.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

For offices it's probably safest to just force everyone to have a weird complex password, then let everyone write it on a sticky note they attach to their monitor. No one attacks a computer system by physically breaking into an a building.

you say that and then Adam Jenson is crawling through your ventilation ducts and reading all of your superfluous emails

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/942890974761684992

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Didn't the guy who invented password security rules admit its all wrong anyways?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

My company literally just randomly generates passwords for things in our system environment from a centralized server and autofills them when you log on.

Completely undoing the point of passwords.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/jonny_is_good/status/942814653234794497
You know I'm not surprised that Pittsburgh is the 2nd most dense city with Pizzerias (though Orlando being number 1 is) for every 10,000 people there are 10 pizzerias, I did a quick google map of my house and in a 1.5 mi radius there are at least 20 pizza places (counting national chains) within walking distance of me.

I don't know why people think Pittsburgh style is bad, who doesn't like really doughy crusts and tons of cheese on their pizza?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yea. Though its actually much more secure and difficult for bots to crack phrases than anything else.

Like it would take a scanner 7 years to crack a pasword of LeperfleshReallyDoesTalkAlotOfWords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

And no thats not my password :colbert:

• Locked thread