Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
~teach the controversy~ https://twitter.com/fox12oregon/status/940640114899931140

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Has Taylor Swift never told you to kill?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

bartkusa posted:

What the gently caress, that's our ultimate Frisbee team name

I apologize to all 16 fans, but the name works better for a hockey team.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

An Amtrack Cascades train derailed onto I5 in Pierce county south of Tacoma. Fatalities are reported: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42401707

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chadderbox posted:

An Amtrack Cascades train derailed onto I5 in Pierce county south of Tacoma. Fatalities are reported: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42401707
The mayor of Lakewood, Washington knew this was coming. http://komonews.com/news/local/lakewood-mayor-predicts-deadly-accidents-from-high-speed-train-service

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LNG terminal protest happening in Tacoma today too, looks like Alexander Ave is shut down.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Wow, and it happened on the very first run. Someone's head is going to roll.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Chadderbox posted:

Wow, and it happened on the very first run. Someone's head is going to roll.
Probably the people in the derailed car.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The mayor is talking about people being hit by trains, not derailments. He even recommends overpasses as an option to help keep pedestrians safe.

What the gently caress were they thinking letting Amtrak run their trains even faster though? Seems like they deal with at least a minor derail every months.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Steve Jorbs posted:

Probably the people in the derailed car.

OMG too soon. Don't make me laugh at terrible things like that.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's almost like we gently caress up our train infrastructure on loving purpose.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

The mayor is talking about people being hit by trains, not derailments. He even recommends overpasses as an option to help keep pedestrians safe.

What the gently caress were they thinking letting Amtrak run their trains even faster though? Seems like they deal with at least a minor derail every months.

They redid the tracks and tested for months with no problems, why don’t we wait for the NTSB reports instead of making things up like the local news?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Solkanar512 posted:

They redid the tracks and tested for months with no problems, why don’t we wait for the NTSB reports instead of making things up like the local news?

I'm not making poo poo up I'm paraphrasing what the mayor said in the article? The op of that article said that the mayor "predicted what happened" when it was clear he was talking about entirely different accidents.

e: If you mean my second paragraph I'm not sure why you have an issue with that, their poo poo derails all the time. We have absolutely garbage train infrastructure in the United States.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

I'm not making poo poo up I'm paraphrasing what the mayor said in the article? The op of that article said that the mayor "predicted what happened" when it was clear he was talking about entirely different accidents.

e: If you mean my second paragraph I'm not sure why you have an issue with that, their poo poo derails all the time. We have absolutely garbage train infrastructure in the United States.

It’s the second part. We don’t loving know anything and the main NTSB team isn’t even here so speculation is a really bad idea here.

You’re making comments here like “what the gently caress were they thinking” and insinuating that there were design, engineering and other issues that caused this derail and you have no data to back that up. Wait for the NTSB and then react.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Solkanar512 posted:

It’s the second part. We don’t loving know anything and the main NTSB team isn’t even here so speculation is a really bad idea here.

You’re making comments here like “what the gently caress were they thinking” and insinuating that there were design, engineering and other issues that caused this derail and you have no data to back that up. Wait for the NTSB and then react.

Hey when the NTSB report comes out and says this was a freak accident that couldn't have been foreseen or avoided in any way, I'll be happy to eat some crow. However, in the mean time, I think I feel okay speculating that the company that can't keep even their slow trains from flying off the tracks on a regular basis, in a country with the worst rail infrastructure in the entire loving developed world, maybe shouldn't have been given the green light on this.

Also, I live here and have ridden that particular train from Seattle to Portland and back at least twenty times, so pardon me for reacting.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DrNutt posted:

Also, I live here and have ridden that particular train from Seattle to Portland and back at least twenty times, so pardon me for reacting.
I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

anthonypants posted:

I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Not much to say really, I used to take the train down frequently on weekends to visit a girlfriend. That route was slower but it was still better than dealing with I5 traffic. I was stuck on the train once for like 5 hours though due to mudslides, and frequently got delayed by the trains having to defer to freight traffic.

Just recently my girlfriend's niece rode the Cascade up to visit us and had to go back to Portland via bus because another mudslide had hosed up the tracks again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hah was just planning a Seattle to Portland trip for work... I was definitely gonna take the train because it is so much better than dealing with i5 traffic but uhhh hmm. gently caress.

:( I really wish our infrastructure was better. (overall, I realise this is a new track section but the north line gets hosed by mudslides all drat winter)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Hah was just planning a Seattle to Portland trip for work... I was definitely gonna take the train because it is so much better than dealing with i5 traffic but uhhh hmm. gently caress.

:( I really wish our infrastructure was better. (overall, I realise this is a new track section but the north line gets hosed by mudslides all drat winter)

It's pretty likely that some of the fatalities were people driving on I-5 who had a train fall on them. Not safe there either.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

silicone thrills posted:

This is America. Lower your expectations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Chadderbox posted:

It's pretty likely that some of the fatalities were people driving on I-5 who had a train fall on them. Not safe there either.

Authorities have said repeatedly that everyone driving survived. However, there are two train cars that they’ve been unable to even enter.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Solkanar512 posted:

Authorities have said repeatedly that everyone driving survived. However, there are two train cars that they’ve been unable to even enter.

Over 500 people die every year in Washington in car accidents. A truck accident killed someone in Seattle this morning. Cars are not safer.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
This is America, you are not entitled to "safety" or "care" or saying the word "entitlement".

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DevNull posted:

Over 500 people die every year in Washington in car accidents. A truck accident killed someone in Seattle this morning. Cars are not safer.

Obviously cars aren't safer but it is a fact that our train infrastructure isn't optimal. We clearly could do much better. I prefer to take the train any time I possibly can and i'd like to be able to take it more because statistically it is a safer option and environmentally, I like to put my money where my mouth is an avoid driving single occupancy when ever possible but you can't ignore that reliability is a huge factor.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'd still feel safer taking the train than driving, but only because cars are staggeringly dangerous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
http://knkx.org/post/amtrak-train-hurtles-overpass-wash-state-patrol-reports-three-fatalities

This article from KNKX (formerly KPLU) says that the train was going about 81 mph when the derailment occurred, and that the maximum rated speed for that track was 79 mph.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DevNull posted:

What are you even talking about? No one driving on I5 was killed in this train derailment. That’s a known fact that was repeated by several different sources. Additionally was the fact that two train cars were unable to be entered by first responders, and likely contained additional fatalities.

My response has nothing what so ever to do with automobile deaths in general. Why would you even make that loving connection? What are you even talking about?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

http://knkx.org/post/amtrak-train-hurtles-overpass-wash-state-patrol-reports-three-fatalities

This article from KNKX (formerly KPLU) says that the train was going about 81 mph when the derailment occurred, and that the maximum rated speed for that track was 79 mph.

Even worse was live footage showing a reduced speed sign for 30 mph just before that curve.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Even worse was live footage showing a reduced speed sign for 30 mph just before that curve.

Do trains have anti-lock brakes?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Solkanar512 posted:

So it sounds like driver "error" (negligence).

Is it really too much to expect people to be competent at what they do these days?

I have seen far too much "operator error" and you know what? There is only so much stupidity you can engineer out.
(If you're going to go down that road, you might as well make the whole train fully autonomous.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How do you feel about self driving cars?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
They've tried it a few times before. It always ends...poorly.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Senor P. posted:

So it sounds like driver "error" (negligence).

Is it really too much to expect people to be competent at what they do these days?

I have seen far too much "operator error" and you know what? There is only so much stupidity you can engineer out.
(If you're going to go down that road, you might as well make the whole train fully autonomous.)

I’d wait until the NTSB report comes out before passing judgement. We won’t be able to certify the speed until the black box is examined and there were also reports of obstructions on the tracks.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 19, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

What are you even talking about?
I realize this gets a little deep, but you jumped into a conversation you didn't start. This person was saying they were concerned about taking the train because of this event:

silicone thrills posted:

Then someone incorrectly made a claim:

Chadderbox posted:

Which you corrected, but your correction had nothing to do with the post that was quoted in that post, which is about concern over whether trains or cars are the safest way to travel. So you jumped into a pre-existing conversation to make a technical correction without acknowledging why the already existing conversation even existed. I'm not opposed to technical corrections, but you can't act confused when someone ignores the reasons why you made a post (a poster made a factual error) because they're annoyed you ignored the reason they made a post (someone is thinking train travel might be less safe than car travel).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah when I went on a trip to Vancouver for Spring Break... (I was trying to be clever because none of us could afford to fly anywhere and we could drink in Canada) and we had to take the bus from Seattle to Bellingham because of landslides.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I can certainly be irritated when people put words in my mouth.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

I can certainly be irritated when people put words in my mouth.
Who put words in your mouth? The poster you quoted was also just stating technical facts:

DevNull posted:

These are just facts, I don't see any "You think X" claims. If your complaint is that they are implying you disagree with a position, because they stated facts without regard to the context of the discussion, I don't see how you aren't equally guilty of that.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

twodot posted:

Who put words in your mouth? The poster you quoted was also just stating technical facts:

These are just facts, I don't see any "You think X" claims. If your complaint is that they are implying you disagree with a position, because they stated facts without regard to the context of the discussion, I don't see how you aren't equally guilty of that.

He’s doubling down instead of apologizing!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

twodot posted:

I realize this gets a little deep, but you jumped into a conversation you didn't start. This person was saying they were concerned about taking the train because of this event:

Then someone incorrectly made a claim:

Which you corrected, but your correction had nothing to do with the post that was quoted in that post, which is about concern over whether trains or cars are the safest way to travel. So you jumped into a pre-existing conversation to make a technical correction without acknowledging why the already existing conversation even existed. I'm not opposed to technical corrections, but you can't act confused when someone ignores the reasons why you made a post (a poster made a factual error) because they're annoyed you ignored the reason they made a post (someone is thinking train travel might be less safe than car travel).

I speculated about freeway driver deaths before the reporting started saying that it hadn't happened. My bad.

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The city that works. https://www.portlandmercury.com/news/2017/12/20/19558822/a-new-fee-meant-to-spruce-up-city-streets-has-property-owners-enraged

quote:

The only disasters that had befallen Willford’s dilapidated home were moisture and the march of time, but officials at PBOT thought they might have a way to change that. If city firefighters were to burn her house down as part of a training exercise, they believed, Willford could be let off the hook under the disaster clause.

“It was considered,” says Matt Grumm, a senior policy director for Saltzman.