Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

man I didnt realize that slugathor broke up. :(

He immediately started release albums as Desecresy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF8zvEoereQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Did anyone post this yet? Song from the new The Clearing Path

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrskMV8N7fY

If you like Stargazer, Geryon, check it out

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Folks, I just want to remind you all that the song "Natasha" by Pig Destroyer is so loving good

I even named my dog after it

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

One of the albums I found on an end-of-year list that didn't end up making my top 20 was Woe's Hope Attrition. I listened to it again today, and I think it's pretty good. It sounds similar to Cobalt in places, but then it also has some crust elements and more traditional black metal sections, so while it's not quite as good as Cobalt's work, it differs enough to be worth a listen if you like that style IMO. I don't like the production though, even though I'm far from a kvlt production purist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khh3-TO6Pgs
https://woeunholy.bandcamp.com/album/hope-attrition

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

COOL CORN posted:

Folks, Pig Destroyer loving good

Just sorta edited that one a bit

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
prowler in the yard is a top 10 of all time for me

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
UNF I put on This Godless Endeavour on recommendation by this thread and was hit with a wave of nostalgia upon seeing the album cover.
I seem to have completely forgotten about this album (along with forgetting all the metal I used to love, seemingly) but I used to binge on it something fierce.
Sentient 6 even has the stereotypical backwards message in the middle of the song, metal as gently caress!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BdP6lI6kqc

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Dude Sweet posted:

UNF I put on This Godless Endeavour on recommendation by this thread and was hit with a wave of nostalgia upon seeing the album cover.
I seem to have completely forgotten about this album (along with forgetting all the metal I used to love, seemingly) but I used to binge on it something fierce.
Sentient 6 even has the stereotypical backwards message in the middle of the song, metal as gently caress!

I credit This Godless Endeavor at the one album that actually got me to start seeking out heavier music. Before that I never really grew beyond Warped Tour-type punk bands, but a guy I met my freshman year of high school showed me the music video for Final Product and I was hooked beyond fuckin belief. As soon as I found out the music store near my house had a copy, I rushed to get it. Every inch of that album is burned into my brain, man. So cheesy, and so ham-fisted with everything, but the timing of when I first heard it has made it an absolute masterpiece to my ears.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Qoey posted:

I credit This Godless Endeavor at the one album that actually got me to start seeking out heavier music. Before that I never really grew beyond Warped Tour-type punk bands, but a guy I met my freshman year of high school showed me the music video for Final Product and I was hooked beyond fuckin belief. As soon as I found out the music store near my house had a copy, I rushed to get it. Every inch of that album is burned into my brain, man. So cheesy, and so ham-fisted with everything, but the timing of when I first heard it has made it an absolute masterpiece to my ears.

Nevermore is the closest you can get to cheesy power metal without falling into Iced Earth/Sabaton territory and becoming garbage. It's a fine line but they just manage it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been listening to Vader all morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPplouzMVRs

It's been a good morning.

E: \/ Well, duh.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 19, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nordick posted:

I've been listening to Vader all morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPplouzMVRs

It's been a good morning

That's because Vader is cool and good.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I really enjoy listening to Reinkaos, Dissection's last album.

Fight me.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fenrir posted:

Yup. Beautiful Death is especially worth the listen. Holy poo poo, that song is incredible.

Why did I not post the drat youtube. Because jesus christ this is awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XoSXAG88yQ

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

prowler in the yard is a top 10 of all time for me

I remember that "Jennifer" was the first thing on a metal album to actually make me feel uncomfortable, and it's not even an actual song. Also when I saw them at the first Scion Fest, I saw the biggest pit I've ever seen to the drum intro to "Junkyard God". PD is so loving good.

In the same vein, I just saw that it's Travis Ryan's birthday, so celebrate accordingly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWiOvdTlUxg

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

In the same vein, I just saw that it's Travis Ryan's birthday, so celebrate accordingly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWiOvdTlUxg

Hell yeah, Travis Ryan owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw8IB-sjrcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCGOyvfzd-U

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Qoey posted:

i had picked up guitar not too long before hearing TGE as a kid, and i remember hearing that loving sweep section in the title track and being in a state of total awe. that was definitely one of those formative 'okay metal is my favourite genre' moments

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've finally given the Power Trip album some proper listens, and yeah... it deserves all the praise it's getting. It's got a fresh and exciting vibe while also feeling familiar. It's groovy, crushing and extremely well produced. I'm not redoing my top list, but this definitely belongs on there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Top 10 metal albums of the year, order subject to change slightly:
1. Apostate Viaticum - Before the Gates of Gomorrah
2. Beheaded - Beast Incarnate
3. Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
4. Converge - The Dusk in Us
5. John Frum - A Stirring in the Noos
6. Cormorant - Diaspora
7. Hell - Hell
8. Temple of Void - Lords of Death
9. Pyrrhon - What Passes for Survival
10. Godflesh - Post Self

Honorable mentions:
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
Pallbearer - Heartless
Ingurgitating Oblivion - Vision Swallows in Symphonies of Light
Full of Hell - Trumpeting Ecstasy
Locust Leaves - A Subtler Kind of Light
Couch Slut - Contempt

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

1. Apostate Viaticum - Before the Gates of Gomorrah

This is really good, how is there still metal this good from this year I hadn't heard yet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

This is really good, how is there still metal this good from this year I hadn't heard yet.

I'm trying to evangelize that one to every metal fan I know. It was just something I liked on the Black Market and they have like 700 Facebook likes and 25 ratings on RYM.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I've posted this in the bm thread but haven't seen it mentioned here. The new Evilfeast is great if you like cold, catchy, symphonic bm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x8GV8epmNU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Is it really bad that I'm like, 39 and love the poo poo out of Babymetal? I mean 90% of it is Nakamoto Suzuka's voice. I could probably listen to that kid sing the drat phone book.

e: Can't say that poo poo without a link to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWRMx68jRCk

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 19, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I mean it's not my jam but she does have a good voice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who gives a poo poo, if you like it, listen to it.

That song does kick some rear end though, so if you want some validation there you go.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

il_cornuto posted:

Malokarpatan's Nordkarpatenland is the album I suggest when most ask this very question. Not sure why if flew so easily under most radars, but it easily a standout of the year. It's a mix of Celtic Frost and Mercyful Fate riffs with evil witchy folklore atmosphere.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

xzzy posted:

Who gives a poo poo, if you like it, listen to it.

that's not how this thread works, if you like something it's mandatory for other people to come out of the woodwork to poo poo all over it

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
that thing you like? actually it loving sucks, and furthermore,

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Malokarpatan's Nordkarpatenland is the album I suggest when most ask this very question. Not sure why if flew so easily under most radars, but it easily a standout of the year. It's a mix of Celtic Frost and Mercyful Fate riffs with evil witchy folklore atmosphere.

:yeah: I'm gonna post some lyrics this time

quote:

When old Bartolín was driven back Home from the Tavern on a Wheelbarrow (English Translation)

Grim was the fate of gaffer Bartolín When his old hag woman kicked the bucket one year even his hens have pegged out since they weren't taken care of He decided to drown his miseries in liquor No longer did he drudge in the vineyard after work But he was hand in glove with the innkeeper and knew all the cups by heart Round the nightfall he got pissed like an animal Forgot his old Maruša in the fire-water The fellows in the tavern knew by then it is time to bring the wheelbarrow from the barnyard and load Bartolín back home As they passed the burial ground he had a vision of his spouse yelling from beyond the grave; Grubs crawling across her visage, only black holes for eyes: "Just you wait, sottish carrion, within a year you will lie down here with me!" Aghast in dread, the old gaffer has never again dared to get close to liquor.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Smirr posted:

:yeah: I'm gonna post some lyrics this time

You just made me like this band even more. gently caress it! I'm moving to Slovakia.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's some good funeral-ish death doom for everyone: Pissboiler - In The Lair Of Lucid Nightmares

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Is it really bad that I'm like, 39 and love the poo poo out of Babymetal?

Yes.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Note: A human heart thinks everything you like is bad, probably.

That Malokarpatan album is really good, I think someone already put it on their end of year list.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 19, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It sucks that the cool witchy album isn’t on Apple Music. I’ll listen to it on YouTube or something though because yup that’s my poo poo

Fenrir posted:

Is it really bad that I'm like, 39 and love the poo poo out of Babymetal? I mean 90% of it is Nakamoto Suzuka's voice. I could probably listen to that kid sing the drat phone book.

e: Can't say that poo poo without a link to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWRMx68jRCk

27 and I think they’re 10/10

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Babymetal are completely ruined for me by the cutesy squeaky anime girl bullshit, which is a shame because musically they have some pretty solid stuff from the little that I've heard. That girl's normal singing voice is actually pretty okay too.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Nordick posted:

Babymetal are completely...bullshit

:agreed:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

It's just Dragonforce with little girls singing about chocolate, idk how it got so popular. it makes no sense

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

I really enjoy listening to Reinkaos, Dissection's last album.

Fight me.

ole boy had nothing left in his cold black soul after making this masterpiece.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

One of them can sing really well, the songs are far better written than Dragonforce and they also sing about circle pits. Mostly it's just fun. I do agree that it's weird they got as popular as they have, but I guess talent + fun is a good enough combination to overcome the weird mix of genres.

Also I have a million albums with guys shouting about Satan and serial killers, girls singing about chocolate makes a nice change.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Babymetal rules first because the music is good and fun and second because of how insecure they make serious metal dudes who desperately want to believe that the lines they try to draw around music genres represent anything apart from their personal prejudices, and it's completely hilarious