Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I dunno about the link between Death Stranding and Wombs, Death Stranding is about the sanctity of human existence, whereas Wombs is some kind of metaphor for colonialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Phobophilia posted:

I dunno about the link between Death Stranding and Wombs, Death Stranding is about the sanctity of human existence, whereas Wombs is some kind of metaphor for colonialism.

Is death starnding the worlds most elaborate pro-life/anti-choice piece

Or did Kojima stumble drunk into a midwestern church's garbage and found inspiration in a half torn pamphlet

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 13, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
That Fred from scooby doo looking motherfucker in hibiki is a total creep

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

yeah, he's great

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

He just seemed overprotective of a weird girl that can't fit in. Until we see the inside of his room and then holy poo poo the creep factor ramped up to 11 REAL FAST

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

An interesting thing about characters in "Hibiki" is you can't tell what kind of person someone is by their appearance, the way you usually can in manga. That makes their actions unpredictable and makes the dramatic moments hit a lot harder.

It's also an interesting look into Japanese gender politics that a female novelist has to basically choose between marriage or art. If a guy marries a woman without expecting her to have his kids and spend all her time raising them and instead supports her writing dreams, that's a "twisted relationship." Meanwhile famous author man has a life and a family.
Though that could be a contrived bit of social theory to create conflict between the guy who wants Hibiki to become a "normal" woman and her own literary dreams. I can never figure out if their relationship is supposed to come off as sweet, or if he's being set up as some kind of antagonist.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 14, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

she ALREADY has that kind of "twisted" relationship the novelist warned about. Nothing is going to work out for these people, except for making great literature

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Maybe. Or it could just be that they're dumb and confused kids and will be able to have a more normal relationship, albiet a childless one, later in life. One that would allow her marriage and writing. That would be the good end.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

im going with the idea that she's a once in 100 years talent tbh, they can run this story how dark they want really, or scale it back to high school hijinks

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But does talent necessarily lead to darkness? Or can someone be talented and productive with their talent and still live a happy life? Certainly the male authors who are talented seem to be able to live happy lives. It could also be a happy story that goes beyond high school hijinks, depending on the author's view of how talent affects interpersonal relationships, and whether talent is a curse for women in Japanese society.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a live action film version of hibiki just got announced, what a coincidence

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Ccs posted:

But does talent necessarily lead to darkness? Or can someone be talented and productive with their talent and still live a happy life? Certainly the male authors who are talented seem to be able to live happy lives. It could also be a happy story that goes beyond high school hijinks, depending on the author's view of how talent affects interpersonal relationships, and whether talent is a curse for women in Japanese society.

artists and the like are generally impossible to be around they're so maladjusted. And what we've seen from this girl is that she's anti social, violent and cares little about anything. Based on all of that its looking grim.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But... many of the male authors seem to be fine to be around. Charming, successful, good family life.

Like, do you think successful or genius-level artists in the real world are mostly maladjusted? Most seem to get along pretty well though some definitely decide not to have kids so they have more time to spend on their work.

We hear about the crazy shut ins or the dramatic ones whose lives fall apart because their lives are dramatic and unusual, but I don't think it's born out in aggregate.

As for Hibiki's personality, well I'm hoping she'll grow out of it. A lot of people are weird as gently caress as teenagers.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Ccs posted:

Like, do you think successful or genius-level artists in the real world are mostly maladjusted?

yes

Ccs posted:

But... many of the male authors seem to be fine to be around. Charming, successful, good family life.

she's better than all of them

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Hibiki seems pretty happy already

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
New Dungeon Meshi

It's good, but also bad that we have to wait 2 months for the next one

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 30, 2023

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Mujirushi chapter 4 is up

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

HenryEx posted:

New Dungeon Meshi

It's good, but also bad that we have to wait 2 months for the next one
i thought when they said that character was missing in their party it was the short, cat slit eyed character with ear parts on the hat, because they didnt show up at all in that harpy boss fight arc

this character is similar but totally different in height and other features

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh THAT'S the angle

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ancient Magus Bride 42

I haven't watched the prequel OVAs so I dunno if this is retreading some of that ground, but oof :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rodyle posted:

Oh THAT'S the angle

PSA: it totally is stealing, even if you fully intend to put it back later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

Ancient Magus Bride 42

I haven't watched the prequel OVAs so I dunno if this is retreading some of that ground, but oof :(

for gently caress's sake.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It turns out even with all the magic and all of the fantasy in Ancient Magus' Bride, it turns out that Chise's mom killed herself through what amounts to a pretty standard anxious breakdown surrounding not being able to protect her and work at the same time. It's a pretty mundane tragedy, in the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nate RFB posted:

Ancient Magus Bride 42

It's not, the OVA takes place after she lost her family.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New Bungou Stray Dogs: https://imgur.com/a/DSPP3

Basically the "I'm not Aizen, you are!" meme.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Silver2195 posted:

New Bungou Stray Dogs: https://imgur.com/a/DSPP3

Basically the "I'm not Aizen, you are!" meme.

I uh... Well that's certainly dedication to cut yourself in half.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey, School Live is back!
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gakkou-Gurashi/Ch-059?id=397237

I hope the hiatus means they were able to come up with a satisfying conclusion for it. I dunno if they planned for it to last this long, but it's been surprisingly well done since they took off from the school. Also, having a scientist tag along will hopefully provide some better context to things.

Also also, I didn't understand the shot of the shoes and shirt until the notes at the end of the chapter, and :stare: that's grim

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If you're getting withdrawl jitters from Ancient Magus Bride try Witch Hat Atelier. On a scale of one to ten where one is 'Ran and the Grey World Super-Comfy Funtime Days With Mild Peril' and ten is 'Ancient Magus Bride Homunculus and Celtic Blood-Magic Terror-Hour' I'd say it's at about a three, going on maybe a five at the most.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Pierson posted:

If you're getting withdrawl jitters from Ancient Magus Bride try Witch Hat Atelier. On a scale of one to ten where one is 'Ran and the Grey World Super-Comfy Funtime Days With Mild Peril' and ten is 'Ancient Magus Bride Homunculus and Celtic Blood-Magic Terror-Hour' I'd say it's at about a three, going on maybe a five at the most.

It's about a notch past Little Witch Academia but other than that this series reminds me of that one. Updates are few and far between but I don't know if it's just coming out slowly in Japan or the group doing the translations is slow.

khy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 5, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think there's 5 or 6 volumes out in Japan but not one is interested in translating it. Only 7 or 8 chapters out so far, covering the first couple volumes.

Which is too bad because that art style and subject matter is like my favorite.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i started reading grand blue and 4 chapters in its good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

i started reading grand blue and 4 chapters in its good

It stays good too

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Grand Blue's latest chapter, happily, is exactly as great as the first one.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I never thought a comic about scuba diving would be so good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really a manga about binge drinking

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Here is a post, about a neat seinen anthology by Ichikawa Haruka

Knorth posted:

New chapter of Ichikawa's Anthology! It's very pretty and strange! And then it gets stranger, probably won't see any tumblr callouts about this one though it's less that kind of strange. I don't know the chronology of her works but it's really to cool to see elements of Land of the Lustrous seemingly getting worked through in separate short stories.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
would be improved if he wasn't perving on half the cast who are his cousins

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't get the tumblr callouts of Ichikawa's work. It's pretty obvious that she's writing unsettling and disturbing situations, not wank material.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jose posted:

would be improved if he wasn't perving on half the cast who are his cousins

He's gonna end up with Chisa and it will suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ccs posted:

I don't get the tumblr callouts of Ichikawa's work. It's pretty obvious that she's writing unsettling and disturbing situations, not wank material.

its just one idiot who purposely misinterpreted her work and admitted they have a grudge against ichikawa, and the rest of it is tumblr being impressionable teens