Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kidkissinger posted:

I seriously doubt you can remember any of the one liners from this movie that weren’t just calling back to better ones from the original trilogy.

That's funny. Everything that you've just said, was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

It's salt.

Classic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The hux Poe phone call characterizes both characters and also makes sense within the plot of the movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm going to be using it for years. So yeah.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

euphronius posted:

The hux Poe phone call characterizes both characters and also makes sense within the plot of the movie.

We need a meme/image macro/emoji for Luke's line, since it is so very applicable in this thread.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Decius posted:

It seems they have scanner to find cloaked ships if they know to look and seem able to target and destroy them, so calling it cloaked seems an overstatement.

I may be misremembering, but I believe that DJ explicitly gave the First Order a security code to detect the ships.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Decius posted:

We need a meme/image macro/emoji for Luke's line, since it is so very applicable in this thread.

What is wrong about what I wrote there.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Schwarzwald posted:

I may be misremembering, but I believe that DJ explicitly gave the First Order a security code to detect the ships.

No, he only told them about them, since he overheard the communication between Rose/Finn and Leia/Holdo, but he had nothing more, since this was the first time anyone in is group heard of the plan - they had no security codes for him to give away.

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 19, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

euphronius posted:

What is wrong about what I wrote there.

It's not very funny (subjective of course), doesn't fit Hux' characterisation from before at all (even his complete moron one he got in the movie seems quite s a bit above the Moe Szyslak act we got here) and a "yo mamma" joke and a really bad wordplay on Hux' name is far below the Poe of TFA who showed pretty good jokes before. It sets the tone of the movie far below what we actually got (and I'm not a huge fan of the movie). It's not a good scene And even worse because it's so early on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Compare Huxs response to mockery to Tarkin's response to mockery.

I think it characterizes him very well.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hux is the empires jar jar basically.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's kind of funny when you remember the billions of lives Hux wiped out and Poe basically sets the pace of the movie to clown on that dude. So I liked it. Hux deserves that poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No Hux isn't a Fool.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Let’s just ignore this enemy star fighter heading straight for us and not shoot at all or deploy any fighters or do literally anything basic protocol would call for so we can get some hamfisted jokes in and establish that this movie will have ongoing issues with tone

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Penpal posted:

I hope to see Star Destroyer captains using sextants and telescopes in the next installment

You'd need a horizon and a consistent starfield to use a sextant u nub

And by consistent starfield I'm not talking about the one that is the same at the end of Rogue One and TLJ as the credits roll, and by horizon I mean something to look forward to in future Star Wars movies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Poe was establishing diplomatic parley. Or feinted diplomatic parley to stall.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Poe was establishing diplomatic parley. Or feinted diplomatic parley to stall.

Why would a star fighter do that and why wouldn’t they deploy their fighters in what was already a fight

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Poe didn't need to stall. The rocket engine - and therefore, the need to stall - was only put in to give him a reason to low-effort troll Hux.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 19, 2017

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I’m sure it’s already been discussed, but those space bombers have some SERIOUS design flaws.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Let’s just ignore this enemy star fighter heading straight for us and not shoot at all or deploy any fighters or do literally anything basic protocol would call for so we can get some hamfisted jokes in and establish that this movie will have ongoing issues with tone

"What's the First Order basic protocol when it comes to a lone snub fighter approaching just out of cannon fire range, sir?"

"Launch all fighters, ready ventral cannons!!!!!"

That could have been funny, just for different and just as dumb reasons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

Why would a star fighter do that and why wouldn’t they deploy their fighters in what was already a fight

Why would a star fighter do what ? Parley?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

"What's the First Order basic protocol when it comes to a lone snub fighter approaching just out of cannon fire range, sir?"

"Launch all fighters, ready central cannons!!!!!"

Why about when they were literally in combat with another carrier.

Wouldn’t that be a good time to have fighters deployed or at least ready to go?

Like, if a single starfighter can disable your point defenses effortlessly then yeah, they probably should have been ready here?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Hux line reminded me of Han stalling over the intercom in A New Hope. Just a bunch of gibberish buying time (though obviously Han was hoping they'd buy it, but didn't really think it would work. Same effect.)

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

He didn't need to stall. The rocket engine - and therefore, the need to stall - was only put in to give him a reason to low-effort troll Hux.

But he did need to stall. That was, like, his whole given mission from Leia. Stall while we get the transports away. Also, he seemed to be charging up his engines for his big burst of speed.

kidkissinger posted:

They weren't planning on needing fighters if other fighters weren't around. One fighter showed up, Hux wanted to monologue because he's a big blow hard. He probably should have just deployed fighters, which is reflected in the Commander (or whatever rank) of the Dreadnaught who said, "We need to deploy fighters! ...five minutes ago." But Poe knew Hux would want to be all pompous, and hosed with him to stall a bit. And, I mean, it worked. Poe just hosed up in a different way a little while later.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Why about when they were literally in combat with another carrier.

Wouldn’t that be a good time to have fighters deployed or at least ready to go?

Like, if a single starfighter can disable your point defenses effortlessly then yeah, they probably should have been ready here?

I don't really remember the scene you're referencing here since there isn't like, a full blown battle report I can read where it details when and where TIE fighter squadrons were launched but I seem to recall watching Resistance ace pilot Poe Dameron lighting up like a ton of them when they were in pursuit.

But I mean, who cares man, why are you so focused on battle scene minutiae?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How is the empires arrogance a plot hole now? I thought it was one of their defining characteristics.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

The Hux line reminded me of Han stalling over the intercom in A New Hope. Just a bunch of gibberish buying time (though obviously Han was hoping they'd buy it, but didn't really think it would work. Same effect.)

But he did need to stall. That was, like, his whole given mission from Leia. Stall while we get the transports away. Also, he seemed to be charging up his engines for his big burst of speed.

They weren't planning on needing fighters if other fighters weren't around. One fighter showed up, Hux wanted to monologue because he's a big blow hard. He probably should have just deployed fighters, which is reflected in the Commander (or whatever rank) of the Dreadnaught who said, "We need to deploy fighters! ...five minutes ago." But Poe knew Hux would want to be all pompous, and hosed with him to stall a bit. And, I mean, it worked. Poe just hosed up in a different way a little while later.

It’s clearly a call-back to han on the prison intercom.

Except he immediately failed his persuasion roll and was found out.

Because the villains in the original trilogy aren’t all slapstick comedy actors and are actually threatening.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

Because the villains in the original trilogy aren’t all slapstick comedy actors and are actually threatening.

Uhh, they're pretty dang slapstick.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kidkissinger posted:

It’s clearly a call-back to han on the prison intercom.

Except he immediately failed his persuasion roll and was found out.

I don't know who you are referring to in this bolded part, because both Han and Poe are near immediately found out. Poe gets maybe 5 more seconds of stall time than Han.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

How is the empires arrogance a plot hole now? I thought it was one of their defining characteristics.

It's 2017 and Nazis are cool again, so a lot of people have high expectations of their sci-fi counterparts and put themselves in their shoes or something and don't want to see their arrogance used against them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

The stormtroopers are, but I really can’t think of any officers in the original trilogy who were over the top Disney slapstick villains

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you saying Hux is slapstick?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Waffles Inc. posted:

Don't treat the art as your enemy, or as if there's some sort of secret code buried within it. Accept that the events happened in the film and that no matter how hard you post on the internet, it won't change. What you see is what's there.

You can decide how you feel about a movie, it has no power over you. So your choice is either: a) treat the text as an enemy who has mislead you; b) meet the text on its own level

Reading how angry people are about the fact that this film dares to take the story places they didn't want has been reminding me strongly of the following passage from one of the most bizarre books ever written:

JM Coetzee, The Childhood of Jesus posted:

“I can read.”

“No, you can’t. You can look at the page and move your lips and make up stories in your head, but that is not reading. For real reading you have to submit to what is written on the page. You have to give up your own fantasies. You have to stop being silly. You have to stop being a baby.”

Never before has he spoken so directly to the child, so harshly.

“I don’t want to read your way,” says the child. “I want to read my way. There was a man of double deed and nandynandynandy need, and when he rode he was a horse and when he walked he was a porse.”

“That is nothing but nonsense. There is no such thing as a porse. Don Quixote is not nonsense. You can’t just make up nonsense and pretend you are reading about him.”

“I can! It’s not nonsense and I can read! It’s not your book, it’s my book!” And with a frown he returns to whipping furiously through the pages.

“On the contrary, it’s señor Benengeli’s book that he gave to the world, therefore it belongs to all of us — to all of us in one sense, and to the library in another sense, but not to you alone in any sense."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why did the space adventure make the Nazi look dumb?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kidkissinger posted:

The stormtroopers are, but I really can’t think of any officers in the original trilogy who were over the top Disney slapstick villains

Admiral Ozzel was a bit of a gently caress up.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Are you saying Hux is slapstick?

Kylo beating on him is a recurring comedic motif

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So I mean at least you are admitting the scene characterized Hux. You just don't agree with the characterization.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

Kylo beating on him is a recurring comedic motif

Sith Lords force choking navy admirals ?? In my Star Wars?? Never !!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Why did the space adventure make the Nazi look dumb?

Being arrogant about your combat capabilities is one thing.

Completely ignoring an obvious threat is really not the same.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, Empire has one of the best visual gags in the entire series when one of the star destroyers runs into an asteroid and the admiral's hologram just blinks out during a Vader conference call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Sith Lords force choking navy admirals ?? In my Star Wars?? Never !!

He straight up squeals and is used as a punchline.

In the OT people getting force choked was legitimately frightening.

• Locked thread