Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

What does my pay work for after you ets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

What does my pay work for after you ets?

I think that’s a reference to everyone’s favourite special forces scout sniper Kyle Valentine.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Oh yeah, I’m an idiot

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Didn't expect my post about linux to bring the operating system discussion heat down.
Mainly use my surface device for interneting + light gaming(low GPU requirement games), anything beefier gaming wise I try linux (if possible) or consoles.

Interest check: anyone want a GOG copy of Master of Orion(2016)?
Really close to qualifying for a free copy, and do not want.

GOG's current wintertime sale is decent, wishing the Victor Vran expansions were discounted more, I really want to experience the Motorhead content.
On the fence about buying Grim Dawn, already own all the Incredible Van Helsing series games(which allow total skill point/ability point respecs).

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Laranzu posted:

Runs apt
Installs updates

Wireless card doesn't work anymore because some esoteric nerd somewhere thought it wasn't open source enough.

Linux will be ready for the mainstream once you can do something of consequence under the hood without opening a terminal. Try getting any end user to understand the terminal.
Terminals were all anybody had for a good long while and they aren't difficult to use; I'm sure there are plenty of folks who remember using DOS and the Commodore 64 and all that. A terminal may seem foreign to folks whose computer experience consists mainly of tapping icons on a small screen, sure. If somebody wants to learn on their own or is at least willing to be taught, it should be fairly easy to pick up provided that they get a quick explanation of what it means to be using a terminal and, more generally, how they are interacting with the OS.

"Look here - see all of these file and folder names it just spat out? That's all the stuff in the folder we're currently working in. All of the files are structured like a big tree, just the same as you're used to seeing in Windows. You can change directories like this; copy, move, and rename files like that; search for files with this; and so on. Your computer's operating system isn't just one thing, but a whole boatload of programs. Instead of clicking on icons, you just type in the name of the program or command that you want to run, like this. - If you don't know what a program does or how to use it, you can ask it for help, like this, or read its manual, like this. If you need more help, Google that poo poo and you'll find somewhere north of a bazillion other people who've had the same question and found the answer. Instead of clicking, you're just typing."

poo poo ain't hard, it just takes a little bit of time and effort to learn. I mean, poo poo, all of the documentation is right there the whole time; when was the last time you saw somebody actually provide help documents for a program in Windows? What about help that isn't just a redirect to a short FAQ on a website somewhere? gently caress if I know.

Way off topic, but, eh.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

poo poo ain't hard, it just takes a little bit of time and effort to learn. I mean, poo poo, all of the documentation is right there

If people were willing to put in the effort to learn, we wouldn't be making fun of end users all day.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

That is the catch, isn't it? :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

How useful is rocksmith for just screwing around with amp settings and effects and stuff? Like I have a guitar and no amp right now, could I just get this and use it to play around on?

it has a bunch of modes and minigames and poo poo; theres a house of the dead style minigame where you kill zombies by hitting chords, a tapper clone that is practicing string accuracy, and a bunch of others. you unlock effects and poo poo- think Orange amp and the like.

you need the cable that comes with the game, but its still fun to mess around with

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

Terminals were all anybody had for a good long while and they aren't difficult to use; I'm sure there are plenty of folks who remember using DOS and the Commodore 64 and all that. A terminal may seem foreign to folks whose computer experience consists mainly of tapping icons on a small screen, sure. If somebody wants to learn on their own or is at least willing to be taught, it should be fairly easy to pick up provided that they get a quick explanation of what it means to be using a terminal and, more generally, how they are interacting with the OS.

"Look here - see all of these file and folder names it just spat out? That's all the stuff in the folder we're currently working in. All of the files are structured like a big tree, just the same as you're used to seeing in Windows. You can change directories like this; copy, move, and rename files like that; search for files with this; and so on. Your computer's operating system isn't just one thing, but a whole boatload of programs. Instead of clicking on icons, you just type in the name of the program or command that you want to run, like this. - If you don't know what a program does or how to use it, you can ask it for help, like this, or read its manual, like this. If you need more help, Google that poo poo and you'll find somewhere north of a bazillion other people who've had the same question and found the answer. Instead of clicking, you're just typing."

poo poo ain't hard, it just takes a little bit of time and effort to learn. I mean, poo poo, all of the documentation is right there the whole time; when was the last time you saw somebody actually provide help documents for a program in Windows? What about help that isn't just a redirect to a short FAQ on a website somewhere? gently caress if I know.

Way off topic, but, eh.

Adequate documentation is an insane struggle because the nerds don't understand why it's important and nobody wants to loving pay for it. Agile developments make the problem worse because when you're constantly expecting signification iterations on something every quarter nobody wants to take the time to update the user manual.

In summary, use your extra velocity to suck my god damned balls.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

If you have opinions on military software, you might have a marketable MOS!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ded posted:

The experimental COTS system I tested on our westpac for dual towed array processing, the AFTAS system ran on a sunspark unix system. This was back in 97 and all the other computers on the boat used win 3.11.

It of course had a massive bug that did a full memory dump directly into the /root directory which caused the hard drive to fill up. I had to fix that poo poo with zero admin privs and never even touched a unix system before. Good thing I had a lot of experience with DOS or we would have had to pull off mission to fix that stupid bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://i.imgur.com/HPD1sx9.mp4

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why did this thread turn into lame YOSPOS?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Why did this thread turn into lame YOSPOS?

Mentioning linux triggers ultra-spergs.
Maybe mentioning OpenBSD will trigger them harder?
LINUX, OPENBSD, Github, Stallman.

Here's that GOG game code
9FHH4481571433F6WN

enjoy it, or touch yourself in hell, whatever, it's free.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

linux is a bad decision, like using android

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
still using Windows ME, you'll have to pull it from my cold dead fingers

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

mods change my name posted:

Have you seen a therapist? Because it sounds like you have some major self-loathing and possibly other issues as well.

gently caress Windows ME

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mods change my name posted:

Windows ME was the buggiest poo poo I ever used but my computer was too slow for XP to run properly.

I ran XP anyway.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I tried the new Wolfenstein and... I kinda didn't like it. I get that the main character is supposed to be frail and all, but being cut down in a fraction of a second just because you made one tiny error doesn't really lend itself to good gameplay.

All of this sucks because the story parts seem cool and good.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Missionary Positron posted:

I tried the new Wolfenstein and... I kinda didn't like it. I get that the main character is supposed to be frail and all, but being cut down in a fraction of a second just because you made one tiny error doesn't really lend itself to good gameplay.

That changes once you get a thing.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Even when you aren't in the wheelchair the difficulty can be rough. I had to drop it down a level from the default to get through a lot of areas.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Mentioning linux triggers ultra-spergs.
Maybe mentioning OpenBSD will trigger them harder?
LINUX, OPENBSD, Github, Stallman.

Here's that GOG game code
9FHH4481571433F6WN

enjoy it, or touch yourself in hell, whatever, it's free.

Hi, I took that code! Thanks friendo!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you're not bouncing off the walls like a maniac you're going to have a hard time. Health, armor and ammo are practically infinite as long as you sprint and slide around and don't play it like a cover shooter.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

bengy81 posted:

Hi, I took that code! Thanks friendo!

Yeah, good luck with it.
It's apparently worse than Master of Orion 3, and likely mining bitcoin for the developers with how much the game connects to the developer's webservers in singleplayer mode.
Multiplayer mode: ahaha you stupid bastard, it gets worse.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

If you're not bouncing off the walls like a maniac you're going to have a hard time. Health, armor and ammo are practically infinite as long as you sprint and slide around and don't play it like a cover shooter.

I guess I was just expecting the gameplay to be something more akin to Doom, which is why I felt so weak in Wolfenstein. I'll give it another try, because I really want to like this game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I really do like this stupid mad max game

the f2p version is all wrong though

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Turn down the difficulty. Wolfenstein II's difficulty settings are way harder than they initially appear, to the detriment of the game.

Seriously, turn the difficulty way down from where you have it now. When you feel like an unstoppable Nazi-killing machine, but still die when you really gently caress up, you've got it on the right difficulty. If you get punished by death on smaller fuckups, you have the difficulty set too high.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The descriptors for the difficulty settings are kind of a tragedy. They drive people away from the difficulties where you really get the feeling the game wants you to have, of being this ludicrous unstoppable Nazi killing machine.

I get why they're still using them, but it's still a shame.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

linux is a bad decision, like using android

I’m currently using my first and last IPhone, an IPhone 7. Overrated pieces of junk, going back to Android for my next phone

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Redeye Flight posted:

The descriptors for the difficulty settings are kind of a tragedy. They drive people away from the difficulties where you really get the feeling the game wants you to have, of being this ludicrous unstoppable Nazi killing machine.

Those are the classic difficulties going back to the original. If people are put off by them then too bad.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I think that’s why I’ve barely played it. I try to play it as a stealthy cover shooter and it just doesn’t like that.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

good lord people spergin out over difficulty settings and hard achievements is the funniest thing ever

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Redeye Flight posted:

Stop letting a video game judge you.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The original Castle Wolfenstein game was epic for it's time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein 3D was a groundbreaking FPS game, and people need to read "masters of doom".

To me, the weakest id games (pre bethseda buyout) are Quake 3: Arena, RAGE, and...Quake 2 for removing the ax/chainsaw/fist/knive melee attack option.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

To me, the weakest id games (pre bethseda buyout) are Quake 3: Arena, RAGE, and...Quake 2 for removing the ax/chainsaw/fist/knive melee attack option.

you shut your whore mouth

except for RAGE, RAGE was bad

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

The game tells you that the angrier you are, the more violent the difficulty setting you choose, the more masculine you become. If you choose the least violent option, the game literally depicts the character as a baby. Avoiding violence is thus presented as not manly. Therefore

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But actually, upgrade the assault rifle with a scope as quick as you can. Three rounds or one headshot is all you need for most dudes at normal difficulty. The laser gun kills those huge ubersoldats with one charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mustang posted:

I’m currently using my first and last IPhone, an IPhone 7. Overrated pieces of junk, going back to Android for my next phone

im honestly 99% considering getting a nokia 3310 and giving my kid my iphone 8, then grabbing an ipad mini with 3g down the road if i miss navigation that much.

i read the japanese art of tidying up and trying to declutter the poo poo out of everything. i

made a new box for gaming- its a tiny case the fits my 980ti and plays everything i i want it to. i sold my ps4 because gently caress console gaming forever idiot bitches pc master race

also sold my apple watch. the notifications were making me paranoid. also the battery life kinda sucks.

idk im kinda done with new tech and im looking at best ways to move up north and buy a unabomber cabin with high speed internet and weed dispensaries. maine, new hampshire, vermont are all on my radar

remember that cabin that robert forrester put walter white into? like that, but brighter and happier

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 20, 2017