Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cru Jones posted:

The point is those are going to phase out quickly

Yeah, the ultimate message I've gotten on these is "you might get a moderate tax break but that's temporary while the massive cuts to corporations are permanent and will ultimately lead to cuts to other stuff that hurts you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I thought they hated "anchor babies."

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

hanales posted:

It’s funny that everyone in this thread including me seem to be getting a tax break, no matter how small. I’d like to see the cases where this is not true.

Mine go up $200 a year. Because gently caress me. Eat the rich. Senator Gardner's staff are going to continue to receive very angry phone calls from me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
https://twitter.com/MichaelSLinden/status/942762590374989824

Is there anything this tax bill doesn't do to gently caress over the nation?

moostaffa posted:

According to http://taxplancalculator.com/calc I'll save $3,284. I don't need a loving tax cut.

Apparently I'm getting that same $700ish fat check as Paul Ryan's famous example of a lucky ducky taxpayer. Gonna just jump start the gently caress out of the American Economy with my insane new wealth, suckers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

moostaffa posted:

According to http://taxplancalculator.com/calc I'll save $3,284. I don't need a loving tax cut.

Apparently I save a bit over 1k due to their tax plan.

Except my health insurance just went up by about $110 a month, and could probably go up more, due to all the GOP's fuckery. Plus all the other various cuts and thievery this bill provides at our expense including CHIP's destruction despite friends and family who use it (and far too many of them voted for Trump).

Next November better have a blue wave that sweeps in to one if not both chambers of Congress. The GOP needs to be voted out of office and in to guillotines. :commissar:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ryan gives the least inspiring speech ive ever seen.

edit* they just cut the mic because of protestors

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
That bizarre tax paying couple might be close to retirement. Have a couple of rental properties for income. Maybe a couple of families anyway there's a lot of people in the country.

Anywhere here's some rear end in a top hat answering questions about carried interest by saying a blue collar family will see a tax cut of 2700$ a year and that's what real people care about. So if you want to see Morning Joe people keep sticking to the question here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEn6uvoqPUU&t=126s

Also the SPCA in my area is fantastic, they are completely no kill and run a variety of low income programs to help people get their pets fixed and vaccinated. They have a barn cat program where strays are picked up, fixed, and then adopted out for free to keep the population in control. Feral cat trap and release program. They really do a lot of cool stuff. They also have a lot of pit mixes and chihuahua mixes up for adoption because that's what usually gets brought in so if you know somebody looking for a pet one one of those breeds might be a fit you local SPCA shelter can probably help you out. Sometimes I treat it like a petting zoo, donate 10$ and just hang out with all the cats.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

moostaffa posted:

lol my broke rear end don't get poo poo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If life begins at conception then that's an American citizen in her belly.

But if they want to deport get they would be deporting a US citizen.

So by deporting a woman who was impregnated on American soil, by force of law they would be saying a fetus is not a person and has no rights.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/943153718194790402

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/942824437350567936

"I'll prove that it's not a coincidence with a sourced quote:
'it's not a coincidence' -- Me, Kellyanne"

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Cru Jones posted:

According to that calculator we'll save like 5-6K.

Sorry, I'm a Republican now I guess, FYGM

yes, yes...us too, like 6k.

Unrelated, but I gotta say, this Trump guy is starting to make a lot of sense - teen immigrants shouldn't be able to get abortions!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They should just stop beating around the bush and make it a literal crime to be poor.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arzakon posted:

Thanks for the $8k a year I absolutely don’t need. Would blow it doing things Republicans hate but I don’t think I can smoke that much weed in a year.

Donate it to a charity that supports either LGBT causes or minority causes.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ErikaAndiola/status/942124731976777728
https://twitter.com/PresenteOrg/status/943164337279008768

Also tax bill fucks me hard and fast.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yeah this is going to be a rolling problem across the states as CHIP funding runs out. it's indicative of how dysfunctional the gop is right now that they can't even pass slam dunk legislation like "fund healthcare for children". there is literally no downside to funding CHIP. they just haven't gotten around to and or can't do it, because they are completely incapable of governing

this is definitely something to throw in the faces of folks who voted for trump because they wanted change, or people who think the government should be shut down. congrats, things are changing now

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get poo poo from this loving tax bill my taxes are fuuuucked.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Poor children are going to die for the crime of having been born to poor parents.

This is normal and fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

I don't get poo poo from this loving tax bill my taxes are fuuuucked.

Have you tried being a little wealthier?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/942824437350567936

"I'll prove that it's not a coincidence with a sourced quote:
'it's not a coincidence' -- Me, Kellyanne"

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kellyanne Conway somehow manages to outdo even SHuckS when it comes to shameless lying. She's just absolutely repulsive.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

No Butt Stuff posted:

Poor children are going to die for the crime of having been born to poor parents.

This is normal and fine.

some states are going to try to fill in the gap caused by the loss of federal funding

some states will be more successful at this than others

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

boner confessor posted:

yeah this is going to be a rolling problem across the states as CHIP funding runs out. it's indicative of how dysfunctional the gop is right now that they can't even pass slam dunk legislation like "fund healthcare for children". there is literally no downside to funding CHIP. they just haven't gotten around to and or can't do it, because they are completely incapable of governing

this is definitely something to throw in the faces of folks who voted for trump because they wanted change, or people who think the government should be shut down. congrats, things are changing now

As much as I wish Democrats could run on it, I don't want this country to be without CHIP for that long. Even the most ghoulish of them cannot possibly be against health care for poor kids.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

You don’t really *get* the GOP if that’s why you think they aren’t funding CHIP.

Alter Ego posted:

As much as I wish Democrats could run on it, I don't want this country to be without CHIP for that long. Even the most ghoulish of them cannot possibly be against health care for poor kids.

Orrin Hatch, immediately after senate passage of the tax bill, axed the idea of funding CHIP with a combination of “we don’t have the money” and “they should take better care of themselves without other people’s money.”

They absolutely know what is going to happen.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 19, 2017

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I’m glad any money I save on taxes will immediately go back to he government to pay for my debt slavery/student loans

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

I’m glad any money I save on taxes will immediately go back to he government to pay for my debt slavery/student loans

This guy gets it :(

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Office Pig posted:

You don’t really *get* the GOP if that’s why you think they aren’t funding CHIP.

yeah the GOP isn't funding CHIP because they're trying to see what democrats will let them cut in exchange for allowing poor kids to not die

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Office Pig posted:

they've failed to pass any substantial legislation this year. they can barely agree to keep the government functioning

"fund healthcare for children" is such an obvious and easy political issue. i know it's cathartic to demonize the gop but they gain nothing from failing to fund CHIP. this is 100% not due to malice or hatred for the poor, it's because the gop is so completely and totally unable to even provide the basic functions of government - something they have been threatening to do for years

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If life begins at conception then that's an American citizen in her belly.

But if they want to deport get they would be deporting a US citizen.

So by deporting a woman who was impregnated on American soil, by force of law they would be saying a fetus is not a person and has no rights.

The US regularly deports American citizens, both because ICE is willfully sloppy and malicious and because US citizen children are not given any weight in deportation orders - so parents may have to decide to take them with them when they are deported, unless they have family they can leave the children with or are willing to abandon them to foster care.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

boner confessor posted:

they've failed to pass any substantial legislation this year. they can barely agree to keep the government functioning

"fund healthcare for children" is such an obvious and easy political issue. i know it's cathartic to demonize the gop but they literally gain nothing from failing to fund CHIP. this is 100% not due to malice or hatred for the poor, it's because the gop is so completely and totally unable to even provide the basic functions of government - something they have been threatening to do for years

no it's malice

they've agreed to fund chip by cutting massively from things like obamacare, this is just more subtle hostage-taking than the debt ceiling/shutdown stuff but it's the same sort of malicious "give me what i want or i hurt these people"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So when today is that Trump/ Mueller meeting happenin

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Koalas March posted:

lol my broke rear end don't get poo poo

Working as intended.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

boner confessor posted:

I think they literally just don't want to do it. It's more "welfare handouts", this is intentional.

They're stupid lovely horrible people

Alter Ego posted:

No they really are that lovely, sorry. They just don't give a gently caress at all

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

Rand Paul can be beaten in Kentucky.

Ask his neighbor.

Has that guy received any kind of award yet? With everything I've read about this Ryan guy it would seem the appropriate thing to do.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

no it's malice

they've agreed to fund chip by cutting massively from things like obamacare, this is just more subtle hostage-taking than the debt ceiling/shutdown stuff but it's the same sort of malicious "give me what i want or i hurt these people"

there were some proposals like that but the way i read this is just that the gop is so stumblingly buffoonish they can't even successfully fund a feel good program like CHIP without loving it up somehow. they're just that disorganized and idiotic right now

like, i'm not saying they wouldn't be this malicious. i just see a lot more incompetence than malice in the last minute tax scramble

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/12/13/fact-checking-jimmy-kimmel-on-chip-funding/?utm_term=.c834c3e5bfe8

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

republicans have proposed funding CHIP with cuts to medicare and to obamacare

they have not, notably, suggested funding tax cuts with anything

this isn't incompetence, this is malice

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TheScott2K posted:

I can think of a NASCAR champ I'd like to see in government

https://twitter.com/HuntingtonDSA/status/912324851163127809

Well he was always turning left, the one time he went right it killed him.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Levitate posted:

I think they literally just don't want to do it. It's more "welfare handouts", this is intentional.

They're stupid lovely horrible people

the poorest kids are still covered by medicaid. CHIP is just like a medicaid expansion for kids. everyone supports it, even if you hate kids you like the political support CHIP provides

evilweasel posted:

republicans have proposed funding CHIP with cuts to medicare and to obamacare

they have not, notably, suggested funding tax cuts with anything

this isn't incompetence, this is malice

i'm just not convinced they could tie their shoes correctly at this time

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cactus posted:

Has that guy received any kind of award yet? With everything I've read about this Ryan guy it would seem the appropriate thing to do.

We can all mail him new leaf blowers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah sorry you don't want to read malice and ill intent into everything the GOP does, and I agree there's also a large dose of ineptitude when it comes to the GOP controlled congress, but by this point it's pretty goddamn clear these people don't care for anyone except themselves and people with more money than them and actively loath anyone who has less money than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Scipiotik posted:

My wife and I will save a decent amount, but we also don't need to.

Same, except not married just yet. Between us we'll save a fair bit, but we already don't spend what we make and we aren't going to increase our consumption after this tax cut and especially not because of it. And that goes for almost anyone out there who is doing better than living paycheck to paycheck. This is just going to lead to people squirreling away more money that they aren't spending, and that would be bad enough if it weren't also going to severely cut federal tax revenues and drive the GOP narrative to further cut federal spending, which is just going to compound the problems. The whole thing is hosed and I'm mad about it :mad:

• Locked thread