Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

moostaffa posted:

According to http://taxplancalculator.com/calc I'll save $3,284. I don't need a loving tax cut.

Yeah I'm saving $2900, guess I can up that monthly donation to PPUSA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I need a catchy euphemism for the stock market so we can start making inroads into destroying the capitalist delusion.

Rich People High-Score doesn't seem punchy enough. We need to change the language in a way so it's clear that wealth inequality ruins any positives of a high stock market number.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Glazier posted:

Ditto.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

I need a catchy euphemism for the stock market so we can start making inroads into destroying the capitalist delusion.

Rich People High-Score doesn't seem punchy enough. We need to change the language in a way so it's clear that wealth inequality ruins any positives of a high stock market number.

FYGM Index.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ReidRansom posted:

Same, except not married just yet. Between us we'll save a fair bit, but we already don't spend what we make and we aren't going to increase our consumption after this tax cut and especially not because of it. And that goes for almost anyone out there who is doing better than living paycheck to paycheck. This is just going to lead to people squirreling away more money that they aren't spending, and that would be bad enough if it weren't also going to severely cut federal tax revenues and drive the GOP narrative to further cut federal spending, which is just going to compound the problems. The whole thing is hosed and I'm mad about it :mad:

You need to save the extra, because the Republicans have made it very clear that there will be no mercy for the old, sick or weak. Put it away to protect yourself if you ever get sick and need to take time off work, or pay medical bills.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

RuanGacho posted:

Chutes and ladders, but with guillotines.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm saving $7500 I guess. Hail satan.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kellyanne Conway somehow manages to outdo even SHuckS when it comes to shameless lying. She's just absolutely repulsive.

I mean, she's not technically lying, in the sense that the stock market did see a record rise and at least part of that is attributable to Trump and the GOP. The problem is that stock market growth is a terrible indicator of overall economic strength, because it only benefits the very wealthy and does gently caress all for the poor.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Throwing Turtles posted:

, they are completely no kill

Side note, I hate these places.

For the most part, either they’re limited entry, picking up the adoptable animals while leaving another organization to do the euthanizing and thus receive negative attention because of their euthanasia rates, or they’re long term boarding houses for poorly socialized animals who either live in a small places scared for the rest of their lives or they’re a revolving door of poorly trained/re-socialized animals with ignored issues that are omitted on adoption that get returned.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's clear we got some wealthy rear end dudes in this thread.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean, she's not technically lying, in the sense that the stock market did see a record rise and at least part of that is attributable to Trump and the GOP. The problem is that stock market growth is a terrible indicator of overall economic strength, because it only benefits the very wealthy and does gently caress all for the poor.

Not only is the stock market growth a terrible indicator, the Dow Jones Index is the worst there is.

3 Reasons Why the Dow is Utterly Useless
Why Dow 20,000 Is a Meaningless Milestone
Planet Money Episode 443: Don't Believe The Hype

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

There is very little difference between the value of a stock and the value of bitcoin as an economic indicator.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah basically my taxable income goes up but the lower taxed amount as the brackets go up means I'll save more...which really just highlights how the people on the low end of the income scale get hosed because why not decrease that one as well if you're really trying to help people and lower taxes? Why are they stuck paying the same or more, what hte gently caress

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Turtlicious posted:

That feel when you think you're complaining with everyone else only to realize you just outed your privilege?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Levitate posted:

Yeah basically my taxable income goes up but the lower taxed amount as the brackets go up means I'll save more...which really just highlights how the people on the low end of the income scale get hosed because why not decrease that one as well if you're really trying to help people and lower taxes? Why are they stuck paying the same or more, what hte gently caress

To kill them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

This explains so much.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Turtlicious posted:

in comparison to the people this tax bill is really for, haha gently caress no

on the other hand maybe this tax bill is a ham fisted attempt to start a class war between the middle class and low income people except it's also blatantly obvious the biggest gainers are the people and corporations that are in another reality altogether when it comes to income

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That feel when you think you're complaining with everyone else only to realize you just outed your privilege?

Lmao, basically.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Glazier posted:

What is PPUSA?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Giving coastal elites a tax break to own the libs

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dietrich posted:

There is very little difference between the value of a stock and the value of bitcoin as an economic indicator.

that's not true at all, the stock market is irrational in the short run but it's ultimately about valuing productive assets: you're paying for future appreciation/dividends

bitcoin is a tulip mania

the current problem with the stock market is that it's appreciating not so much because the future is bright, but because there's nowhere else for the money to go. too much capital is chasing too few places to put it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Brennanator/status/943203288094334977

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

The average age here in DaD is probably mid-30s, it shouldn't be a surprise a lot of people are well into their careers.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

What is PPUSA?

Planned Parenthood

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Levitate posted:

in comparison to the people this tax bill is really for, haha gently caress no

on the other hand maybe this tax bill is a ham fisted attempt to start a class war between the middle class and low income people except it's also blatantly obvious the biggest gainers are the people and corporations that are in another reality altogether when it comes to income

Brazil is a better example of something like that. I can’t think of a suitable political analogy for the Republican Party with their strongman being such an astoundingly feeble joke and their goals being so transparent and uncompromising.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ReidRansom posted:

The average age here in DaD is probably mid-30s, it shouldn't be a surprise a lot of people are well into their careers.

Not all careers make you wealthy, and many work until they die without being able to accumulate wealth.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol my wife and I will save $270 WHEEEEEEEEEEEE my future is bright now, boys

I'm assuming the premium hikes will wipe this out and then some :lol:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm donating every cent I save to 2018 midterm candidates and organizations that will overturn this bullshit.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Turtlicious posted:

Not all careers make you wealthy, and many work until they die without being able to accumulate wealth.

You obviously forgot to grab onto your bootstraps.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm gonna buy a Switch and probably Zelda with it.

You guys can come over and play if you want.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

evilweasel posted:

that's not true at all, the stock market is irrational in the short run but it's ultimately about valuing productive assets: you're paying for future appreciation/dividends

bitcoin is a tulip mania

the current problem with the stock market is that it's appreciating not so much because the future is bright, but because there's nowhere else for the money to go. too much capital is chasing too few places to put it.

You said that's not true at all, and then explained how it was true.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those estimates certainly don’t account for the possibility that a lot of people are going to not have any healthcare now that they are killing the mandate, and whatever savings they would have are going to medical costs.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Turtlicious posted:

The tax breaks people are talking about are like, sub 60,000 a year paycheck numbers, no one seems like they are posting numbers that mean they are wealthy. Somethingawful being a bunch of middle class white men isn't really a shocking revelation about demographics.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dietrich posted:

You said that's not true at all, and then explained how it was true.

if that's what you think i said, there's some terms in there you don't understand. what part about what i said about stocks made you think that it meant "tulip mania"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I guess I'll make an extra mortgage payment and donate some more than I already do to the ACLU and SPLC.

And maybe buy some really nice booze and pills to bring as barter goods into the apocalyptic wasteland of the future.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

I'm gonna incorporate and get my work to pay my pass-thru corp to get that 20% rate, as God intended.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Oh good, I'll save $200. I'd gladly give up half my income to live in a just, equitable society, but boy oh boy these two Franklins are almost as nice, thank you Mitch

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

They know exactly what they're doing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

bitcoin is a tulip mania

Moreover the value of the Dow is as a yardstick of historical performance.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The tax breaks people are talking about are like, sub 60,000 a year paycheck numbers, no one seems like they are posting numbers that mean they are wealthy. Somethingawful being a bunch of middle class white men isn't really a shocking revelation about demographics.

If you aren't currently living out of a cardboard box posting from public library then your opinions have no merit. Some goons were poor before it was cool to be poor, no true Scotsmen, etc etc

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm gonna buy a Switch and probably Zelda with it.

You guys can come over and play if you want.

Uh uh, I know how this works.

The second controller's not plugged in, is it?

• Locked thread