Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ate all the Oreos posted:

pretty lol announcement from our attorney general about internet of poo poo toys that i heard on the radio this morning:

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/25FF647E079EE84D852581F60052CC93

unfortunately i can't seem to find the actual speech - this is the cleaned up version and not what she actually said, which included such gems as "the doll has an unprotected internet installed" and "strangers could be talking to your child through one of these toys RIGHT NOW and you wouldn't even know it!!!"

lol at first i was reading this in the context of iot buttplugs & handjob machines and did a double take at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i got fired for loving off entirely from Rockwell Automation (Allen Bradley) back when i was a teen trying to get into software dev

ask me about PLCs

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've had folks who buy industrial control software tell me stuff like "it has to be rock solid, if it's down 1 minute in 3 years, the contract is considered to have failed" and I can't imagine the software there having that good quality. What is it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MononcQc posted:

I've had folks who buy industrial control software tell me stuff like "it has to be rock solid, if it's down 1 minute in 3 years, the contract is considered to have failed" and I can't imagine the software there having that good quality. What is it?

the watchdog just has to be fast enough that nobody notices

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pretty lol announcement from our attorney general about internet of poo poo toys that i heard on the radio this morning:

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/25FF647E079EE84D852581F60052CC93

unfortunately i can't seem to find the actual speech - this is the cleaned up version and not what she actually said, which included such gems as "the doll has an unprotected internet installed" and "strangers could be talking to your child through one of these toys RIGHT NOW and you wouldn't even know it!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYpLDJfG05A

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

MononcQc posted:

i won't comment on software quality but i hear this remark all the time

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

graph posted:

oo which version

12.1 RUsomething MP7. Thankfully we're finally getting on 14 which seems to fix that poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol industrial control is such poo poo but everything is cheap enough to run with full redundancy to tolerate software failures so if anything the quality standards have been dropping lately

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol industrial control is such poo poo but everything is cheap enough to run with full redundancy to tolerate software failures so if anything the quality standards have been dropping lately
Yeah everyone thinks it's peachy until their centrifuges start randomly blowing the gently caress up.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah everyone thinks it's peachy until their centrifuges start randomly blowing the gently caress up.

:lol:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

How the hell do I verify that secure boot is functioning on red hat? I can see the efi shims in /boot/efi so I think its working but I dunno I like Wandos more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How the hell do I verify that secure boot is functioning on red hat? I can see the efi shims in /boot/efi so I think its working but I dunno I like Wandos more

if it's not functioning but enabled in the bios it wouldn't boot at all

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm stuck with the stupid VMware HTML5 console which won't show me secure boot status only UEFI is enabled so I need something conclusive from the guest because I am trying to make a point with our server hosting people. Windows will tell you the status with msinfo32.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Windows will tell you the status with msinfo32.

that seems pointless, there's nothing to stop it from lying to you

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

that seems pointless, there's nothing to stop it from lying to you
holy poo poo you just figured out computers

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Listen I'm working with dipshits who are still provisioning VMs with bios emulation and suck. I need something that they can understand where it says "SECURITY = YES" because I don't want to explain how the loving thing actually works because that will be a nightmare

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Listen I'm working with dipshits who are still provisioning VMs with bios emulation and suck. I need something that they can understand where it says "SECURITY = YES" because I don't want to explain how the loving thing actually works because that will be a nightmare
maybe bootctl status? i don't have any lunix machines running secure boot to confirm but the arch wiki says you can try od -An -t u1 /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/SecureBoot-<tab complete here to find the guid> and it says the last digit should be 1

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I found it in the dmesg output. Thanks for nothing, nerds Anthony don't read that you're cool

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah bootctl status shows me a "Secure Boot: [status]" line among other things, go with that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what does it show? (in case i ever need to do this)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

from my dinky home box i just tried it on:

pre:
$ bootctl status
System:
   Machine ID: [big long guid]
      Boot ID: [big long guid]
  Secure Boot: disabled
   Setup Mode: setup
also after that is some stuff about the OS it's set up to boot into but that's not relevant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
danke

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
code:
mokutil --sb-state
will check it too. That's also the tool you use to list Machine Owner Keys and request additions to the list.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

:nsavince:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I found it in the dmesg output. Thanks for nothing, nerds Anthony don't read that you're cool
:shobon:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

just_print_out_secure_boot_enabled.ko

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/viss/status/943212790969278464

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just_print_out_secure_boot_enabled.ko

would any modules be loaded at 0.00000 sec?

(could probably fake it by shoving it into the buffer later etc.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

p sure that timestamp is just because it hasn't started the RTC yet, hence why the kernel prints everything before a certain point as happening at 0.00000 sec. idk if it loads any modules though, but i'd think maybe it might need to load a few critical drivers by then?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
oops, it happened again.

https://twitter.com/UpGuard/status/943259082642690048

three guesses as to what was misconfigured and the first two don't count

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

aws bucket?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

a microwave is not a good children's toy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ding ding ding

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

apparently 4chan currently has some malicious ads that obfuscate themselves to get around adblock, and they were put there intentionally by the new site owner which is how they're doing obfuscation / injection :allears:

e: apparently after its done shipping all the info it can back to the third party it just sits there using 100% CPU so it's probably mining, lol

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 20, 2017

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

It's got to be pretty secure tho, it says right there that it broils all the incoming chars.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

minato posted:

It's got to be pretty secure tho, it says right there that it broils all the incoming chars.
boooo

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

industrial control software and cheap enough don’t really go together. pricing is certainly high enough that no one notices the hardware cost of an extra workstation or two. But then they will each need their own license.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

apparently 4chan currently has some malicious ads that obfuscate themselves to get around adblock, and they were put there intentionally by the new site owner which is how they're doing obfuscation / injection :allears:

e: apparently after its done shipping all the info it can back to the third party it just sits there using 100% CPU so it's probably mining, lol

im not surprised the guy that owns it now owns nicovideo and a couple other japanese sites and he actually knows how to make money off of them unlike moot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol I just wanted to make a joke

Bhodi posted:

oops, it happened again.

https://twitter.com/UpGuard/status/943259082642690048

three guesses as to what was misconfigured and the first two don't count

well upguard only does s3 bucket security so…

before I remembered that my guesses would've been some java server or mongodb

• Locked thread