Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The X-man cometh posted:

Saudi is just as bad as Israel now, should Miss Pakistan or Miss Philippines be harassed because she posed with a Saudi? (Does such a person exist?)

JFC, Saudi is not a noun, learn how to use your own loving language.

This is not limited to you, idiots have been talking about "Saudi" pretty regularly recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

English will do anything to any word at any time. Saudi is a preposition now.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

This is not limited to you, idiots have been talking about "Saudi" pretty regularly recently.

Sounds like somebody is getting pretty Saudi about this. Am I using it right?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My Christmas wish is that one of the lovely malfunctioning Houthi Scuds lands on Al-Saqr’s house.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OctaMurk posted:

No. Now say you're Saudi

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Achernar posted:

Here's a nice little story that made me :unsmith: a little.

Christmas market opens in Algerian capital

I didn't realize there were so many migrants/refugees in Algeria.
More Christmas :unsmith:, Christmas has returned to Mosul:
https://twitter.com/AliBaroodi/status/942058394252431360

quote:

Christmas trees & Santa Claus are back to Mosul. You can find them everywhere. It's a nice gesture of peace from Mosulis.
#rebuildmosul
There's a whole bunch of additional photos attached to this tweet.

https://twitter.com/AliBaroodi/status/942065264321028096
This one's kinda striking because it could easily be a photo from any US city, you wouldn't know it's from Mosul without context.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Promise made:

Promise kept.

god bless the troop lord

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lot of big claims in here so far. It's a three part thing.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/942567664358252544

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

never forget

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Volkerball posted:

So, hang on, those seem to be two separate systems? The drug money may also go to Hezbollah, but the car thing seems to be entirely different.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

So, hang on, those seem to be two separate systems? The drug money may also go to Hezbollah, but the car thing seems to be entirely different.

Lebanese Diaspora in Africa apparently. This type of thing has been swirling around for a few years now.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, the article has people saying this project got quashed to protect the nuclear deal, but it seems a little muddier than that. The person who suggested the DEA stumbled into CIA "turf" is probably onto something. We know the counterterrorism people had their hooks in arms trafficking and Hezballah/Iran and I can imagine how they would have reacted if they found out the anti-drug people were trying to indict their intelligence assets.

Of course, the CIA is lovely and political and doesn't give a poo poo about law enforcement, so they don't have to have a good reason to sabotage other agencies' work. Sometimes they don't even do it on purpose.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OctaMurk posted:

Yes, in that I'm getting ready to infest the OP's neighborhood with cholera.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Terror Plumbing

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

This is loving huge. If half of this poo poo is as presented, then WTF Obama?

Josef bugman posted:

They're inextricably linked. Drug money is used to buy used cars in America, that are shipped to Africa and sold, effectively washing the money.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/942738712248582145

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/saudi

noun, plural Saudis.
a native or inhabitant of Saudi Arabia

Hope this helps!!!

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Apparently Saif Gaddafi is going to run for the Libyan presidency in next year's elections.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/gadaffis-son-saif-al-islam-run-libyan-presidency-518043043

mediadave fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 18, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Haha, turns out that norwegian army dude who pissed off Turkey so much during that NATO exercise has a kurdish background

https://translate.google.com/transl...Erdogan-rasende

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Nights posted:

Haha, turns out that norwegian army dude who pissed off Turkey so much during that NATO exercise has a kurdish background

https://translate.google.com/transl...Erdogan-rasende

To the surprise of no one.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mediadave posted:

Apparently Saif Gaddafi is going to run for the Libyan presidency in next year's elections.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/gadaffis-son-saif-al-islam-run-libyan-presidency-518043043

This seems like a good idea. Does he like knives in the butt?

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

support assad to end the war (by continuing it forever)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I was actually expecting a longer smear campaign before the Kurds ended up on the official to-massacre list.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Warbadger posted:

I was actually expecting a longer smear campaign before the Kurds ended up on the official to-massacre list.

Assad and his supporters have been laying the ground work to assault Afrin/Rojova/SDF/YPG since before those regions fell out of their control and their threats have waxed and waned depending on who was ascendant. Assadians were very quiet during the Deir Ezzor siege when SDF support was critical in resupplying the DEZ garrison during the last ISIS assault that was part of the Palmyra offensive last year but were highly threatening when the SDF seized Taqba. That's the biggest reason I'm in favor of an enduring American footprint inside Syria because this is one of the few areas where US foreign policy can actually prevent conflict and push the country towards a negotiated peace.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Brother Friendship posted:

Assad and his supporters have been laying the ground work to assault Afrin/Rojova/SDF/YPG since before those regions fell out of their control and their threats have waxed and waned depending on who was ascendant. Assadians were very quiet during the Deir Ezzor siege when SDF support was critical in resupplying the DEZ garrison during the last ISIS assault that was part of the Palmyra offensive last year but were highly threatening when the SDF seized Taqba. That's the biggest reason I'm in favor of an enduring American footprint inside Syria because this is one of the few areas where US foreign policy can actually prevent conflict and push the country towards a negotiated peace.

How do you propose supplying that enduring footprint if Iraq and Turkey close their borders with the SDF?

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

How do you propose supplying that enduring footprint if Iraq and Turkey close their borders with the SDF?

While things are moving rapidly in a geopolitical sense they are moving slowly as far as the days turn. The United States and Turkey are locked into an abusive relationship with no clear venue on how either would leave the other's influence so the notion of Turkey cutting off Irclick or land routes to east of the Euphrates are as far in the horizon as Turkey departing NATO. If we're talking about a footprint inside Syria in the scale of years and that is a narrow enough opening to secure a future for our allies. As for Iraq I believe that nation is struggling to maintain its own identity and doesn't wish to become a vassal state to Iran nor another country split in two by Iranian proxies such as Lebanon. We did not intervene with Iraq's own Kurdish separatists and have made it clear that we do not support a pan Kurdish movement to create their own country and while I don't follow Iraqi politics (I'm burned out) I see signs that make me think Iraq wouldn't make such a hard move against the US. Locking out US interests in Iraq would lock their country firmly into Iranian sphere and that, judging by Abadi's dance, Sistanti's call to disarm the PMU and even Al-Sadr's actions, appears to not be desired by some powerful power brokers in the country.

I'm not trying to skirt around your question but I don't think the premise is necessarily realistic in the short term. And while this is naive of me I would genuinely prefer to lose our influence in the region trying to live up to our nation's ideals than throwing them away in the name of convenience. That level of cynicism has eroded any moral authority we might have abroad and has had degenerating effects on our domestic society.

If I might add another point I believe that the entire region is wildly precarious and we simply don't know what it's going to look like five years from now. Even the news in Yemen since Saleh's death indicates that the conflict in that country may be more dynamic than perceived even a month ago.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Brother Friendship posted:

While things are moving rapidly in a geopolitical sense they are moving slowly as far as the days turn. The United States and Turkey are locked into an abusive relationship with no clear venue on how either would leave the other's influence so the notion of Turkey cutting off Irclick or land routes to east of the Euphrates are as far in the horizon as Turkey departing NATO. If we're talking about a footprint inside Syria in the scale of years and that is a narrow enough opening to secure a future for our allies. As for Iraq I believe that nation is struggling to maintain its own identity and doesn't wish to become a vassal state to Iran nor another country split in two by Iranian proxies such as Lebanon. We did not intervene with Iraq's own Kurdish separatists and have made it clear that we do not support a pan Kurdish movement to create their own country and while I don't follow Iraqi politics (I'm burned out) I see signs that make me think Iraq wouldn't make such a hard move against the US. Locking out US interests in Iraq would lock their country firmly into Iranian sphere and that, judging by Abadi's dance, Sistanti's call to disarm the PMU and even Al-Sadr's actions, appears to not be desired by some powerful power brokers in the country.

I'm not trying to skirt around your question but I don't think the premise is necessarily realistic in the short term. And while this is naive of me I would genuinely prefer to lose our influence in the region trying to live up to our nation's ideals than throwing them away in the name of convenience. That level of cynicism has eroded any moral authority we might have abroad and has had degenerating effects on our domestic society.

If I might add another point I believe that the entire region is wildly precarious and we simply don't know what it's going to look like five years from now. Even the news in Yemen since Saleh's death indicates that the conflict in that country may be more dynamic than perceived even a month ago.

I don't know if Turkey's going to be quite as patient as you think. Once ISIS is well and truly defeated as an organized force, our original goal will have been accomplished, and Turkey will have a much stronger case to make that we shouldn't be indefinitely arming and supporting their enemies in creating a de facto state just because it frustrates Assad and Iran. Turkey obviously isn't a fan of Assad, but even if it's mostly due to Russian mediation, they are willing to work with him in a way Erdogan has made impossible to do with the YPG when he restarted Turkey's war on the PKK. We know from experience that he preferred ISIS on the border to the YPG, so it's a pretty strong preference, and in the absence of a pressing need by the US, it's hard to see how we can make Turkey leaving open border crossings for us to use to assist their enemies the top priority in our bilateral relationship.

Iraq's more complicated, since they have obviously needed US assistance themselves, and their government presumably hopes to continue some version of positive relations with us in order to balance against being total Iranian puppets, but there are plenty of non-government actors in Iraq who might be willing to act against us and/or the government if they end up diverging too far from Iranian policy preferences. I don't know if Iran cares enough about the area east of the Euphrates to make it that sort of critical issue which could destabilize Iraq, particularly since the land route is already secured without it, but I guess we'll see. Even aside from the Iran stuff though, just because we're not explicitly promoting regional separatism outside of Syria doesn't mean Iraq won't see it as a long term problem for them too. Yeah, Iraqi Kurdistan's aspirations have been pretty well defeated for now, but the idea that Iraq could face a PKK insurgency at some point in the future now that the other parties failed to secure the gains they promised isn't entirely crazy, especially if they have a success to point to elsewhere.

I'm not saying this effort is necessarily doomed, but I hope the Pentagon has put some real thought into this, and received some kind of assurance from Iraq at least if they're openly contemplating this sort of permanent occupation of Syrian territory. The attempt alone will do damage to our relationship with Turkey, so finding out after the fact that it was also a dangerously incompetent attempt with little real planning (much like most of our decisions in the region) would be less than ideal.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
An opinion piece on Saudi Arabia trying to pressure Jordan:

How Saudi tried to bully Jordan and failed
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/saudi-bully-jordan-failed-171218103430867.html

quote:

The presumed tripartite Saudi message was this: Amman and Ramallah should lighten up their criticisms of Donald Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital; not join the Organization of Islamic Cooperation emergency summit that convened in Turkey last week; and, support Saudi Arabia's desire to promote an expected Israel-Palestine "peace plan" that is being developed by the White House.

Palestinians and Jordanians widely oppose the plan that they mostly see as reflecting Israeli priorities, rather than a balanced approach anchored in existing United Nations resolutions.

It's a short opinion piece in Al Jazeera - so definitely not unbiased, but interesting that this is now definitely the 'narrative' being put out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is it just that the House of Saud is so used to getting it's own way that it became poo poo at using threats, or has it always been bad at them?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Josef bugman posted:

Is it just that the House of Saud is so used to getting it's own way that it became poo poo at using threats, or has it always been bad at them?
It's probably mainly the fact that when you're an unfathomably rich prince with literally tens of thousands of servants at your beck and call you don't get used to anyone standing up to you. I reckon MBS has the sincere and fundamental belief that anything he says will be obeyed and doesn't understand how or why people aren't falling in line with his foreign policy ideas.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Flayer posted:

It's probably mainly the fact that when you're an unfathomably rich prince with literally tens of thousands of servants at your beck and call you don't get used to anyone standing up to you. I reckon MBS has the sincere and fundamental belief that anything he says will be obeyed and doesn't understand how or why people aren't falling in line with his foreign policy ideas.

It doesn't help he was homeschooled so he really has no basis for comparison.

That said, I think the other issue, is that not everything does against him all the time (Bahrain mostly buckled under) which adds some positive reinforcement.

I wonder if the next move to openly screw with the Palestinian economy to bring them to "heel" and re-enter the peace process as essentially a treaty of surrender.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/pandagulu/status/943140687012392960

Ahmadinejad is gonna end up dead soon if he keeps loving around.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

https://twitter.com/pandagulu/status/943140687012392960

Ahmadinejad is gonna end up dead soon if he keeps loving around.

What a loss for the world that would be.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/943188196388728832

The Houthis fired a missile at the royal palace today.

Edit: Reportedly intercepted in flight.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/943188196388728832

The Houthis fired a missile at the royal palace today.

Edit: Reportedly intercepted in flight.

It almost definitely wasn't intercepted. They (like pretty much everyone else) lie their asses off about that.

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/943128836983549954

For what it's worth, it is notable that there seems to be a solid consensus that these missiles are Iranian now rather than scrounged up remnants of Yemen's military.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 19, 2017

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
Isn't there a video that allegedly shows it being intercepted?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Laurenz posted:

Isn't there a video that allegedly shows it being intercepted?

https://twitter.com/JeremyBinnie/status/943121716796100608

The media have a habit of being really gullible when the US or its allies say their missile defense systems have worked.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Sinteres posted:

For what it's worth, it is notable that there seems to be a solid consensus that these missiles are Iranian now rather than scrounged up remnants of Yemen's military.

I was pretty skeptical at first, seems pretty impressive that you can transport a Scud into Yemen right now. Small arms, some heavy guns, sure. But a scud?

Alternatively, I wonder if they're retrofit kits?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

I was pretty skeptical at first, seems pretty impressive that you can transport a Scud into Yemen right now. Small arms, some heavy guns, sure. But a scud?

Alternatively, I wonder if they're retrofit kits?

They may have been smuggled in before the blockade.

Or the blockage is ineffective because "LOL KSA Armed Forces".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Xae posted:

They may have been smuggled in before the blockade.

Or the blockage is ineffective because "LOL KSA Armed Forces".

Isn’t the US Navy helping with the blockade though?