Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palpek changed the title to that. I was happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

the black husserl posted:

The marketing was godawful because they absolutely failed at messaging that this game was motherfucking System Shock 3!

Publications like Rock Paper Shotgun, who should have been going crazy with pre-release coverage over the triumphant return of their favorite genre, were like "So here's a pre-rendered trailer for some mediocre-looking action shooter".
That's obviously false. Literally their first post about the game makes it clear it's an immersive sim in the legacy of the Looking Glass games. Later they posted about how you can turn into a cup and their main preview of the game was all about how it's like Deus Ex. Literally at no point did they treat the game like a mediocre-looking action shooter.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Palpek changed the title to that. I was happy about it.

For anyone wondering, the original title was "Hot Half-Asian inserts foreign objects while brother watches."

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Neurosis posted:

I cannot understand your thinking. 'It's to be expected IGN would be petty unprofessional bitches therefore it's not a moral fault on their part for being petty unprofessional bitches.' The second part does not follow the first.

I guess it's a difference of opinion on how bad IGN's behavior was. To me, if you get sent buggy code after it's been released to the public, writing a review based on that code is totally fair. Saying "We gave this game a bad review because we literally could not complete it" is fair. If Bethesda wants to get softball treatment and get a heads up on a bug so they can fix it, they have to play nice and send review copies early. It's not unprofessional to review a game as you see it.

Note that I also think IGN as a whole is a poo poo publication and compromises their reviews for ad money. I'm just saying in this one particular case, I think their review is fair.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Game reviews are on some level consumer reports (which have always had v cozy relationships with industry across all sectors) and a game breaking bug is a circumstance where you have to really grapple w/ recommending people spend $60 despite it.

At least part of the purpose of sending reviewers pre-gold versions of games was to be able to say “this may not reflect the final state of the product” and get a pass on some level of bugginess. Which you can’t do if you let people actually review the final product.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GlyphGryph posted:

They should have given it a zero, the score for games that dont actuallt work, instead of giving it a four and then bumping it up to an eight when the bug was fixed.

And this is for someone who loved the game.

Yeah I can go with that.

I guess I should play System Shock one of these days.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vakal posted:

For anyone wondering, the original title was "Hot Half-Asian inserts foreign objects while brother watches."

that's amazing, lmao

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vakal posted:

In all honesty, the title of this thread did more to influence my decision to get the game more than any official advertising or third party review.

Same, and why it should have been advertised as such.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There's probably not a clear answer on whether bugs should hurt a review score; if a game is broken then it's not very good, but there's also a reasonable and likely expectation that a game with as big of a budget as Prey will be patched to fix these things in relatively short order. Incidentally it's poo poo like this which makes me like Rock Paper Shotgun, where there is no number attached to the review, you actually have to read a review of the drat thing which talks about good and bad things and then make up your own loving mind about whether that sounds like something you like or not.

I also never heard about the System Shock thing until this thread. My exposure to the game was "Oh it's some E3 thing, red eye, coffee mug, sure whatever." and then a one-minute clip of fighting a phantom or something. I did not care even slightly about the game until a youtube person I watch sometimes got invited to one of Bethesda's offices to play the thing and I happened to be bored enough to watch it that day. Then I went "Holy poo poo this is an immersive sim, why did nobody tell me!" I'm sure there were lots of interviews talking about how the game is an immsim and such, but for myself and most people I think you have to be at least a little interested in a game before you bother to read pre-release interviews about it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was completely indifferent about this game despite being a fan of everything Arkane put out until word of mouth reached me with "it's actually the System Shock successor we were waiting for", so yeah, marketing dropped the ball. Hard. Which is a shame, because this is an amazing product and I would have loved to see a sequel of it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Vakal posted:

Dear mods, talking about marketing - please can we get a title change?

Prey - Hot Half-Asian inserts foreign objects while brother watches.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 20, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dear mods, talking about marketing - please can we get a title change?

Prey - Hot Half-Asian inserts foreign objects while brother watches.

That was the previous title of this thread, though :confused:

ZearothK posted:

I was completely indifferent about this game despite being a fan of everything Arkane put out until word of mouth reached me with "it's actually the System Shock successor we were waiting for", so yeah, marketing dropped the ball. Hard. Which is a shame, because this is an amazing product and I would have loved to see a sequel of it.

Yeah, pretty much the same (although I heard about it from other places first and then went and looked for this thread).

OTOH, if they had marketed it as a spiritual successor to System Shock, I would have been extremely suspicious and suspected Bethesda talking about things they have no clue about, especially considering what a disappointment the last game to get that marketing was.

precision posted:

Yeah I can go with that.

Yes. Yes you should.

These days you can even get the "enhanced edition", which supports mouselook and key remapping and (if you're running windows) requires no futzing around with dosbox.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ZearothK posted:

Same. The only reason this game was even remotely on my radar was because it's from Arkane and I loved the Dishonored games, but nothing in the minimal press I saw for it really jumped out at me and made me want to play it until I started hearing from word of mouth that it was good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ZearothK posted:

Kinda same. I never played System Shock but I Arkane projects and immersive games in general, but the marketing barely bothered.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

That was just a joke.

The real previous thread title was "The most action packed alien shooting game since The Bureau: XCOM Declassified!" - Bethesda Marketing Team.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ToxicFrog posted:

I wish I'd thought of an initial title as good as that. Think it was something about being a coffee cup simulator.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, pretty much the same (although I heard about it from other places first and then went and looked for this thread).

OTOH, if they had marketed it as a spiritual successor to System Shock, I would have been extremely suspicious and suspected Bethesda talking about things they have no clue about, especially considering what a disappointment the last game to get that marketing was.

Yes. Yes you should.

These days you can even get the "enhanced edition", which supports mouselook and key remapping and (if you're running windows) requires no futzing around with dosbox.

Get the enhanced edition. Having to turn by pointing to the side of the screen gets incredibly tedious.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The first time I played SS1 it was on the Enhanced Edition and while it is, to my mind, superior the game was very obviously not designed with mouselook and smooth controlling in mind. The combat is pretty trivial even on the highest difficulties because you're moving and reacting way faster than you were intended to be.

Still worth playing though.

I wish I'd thought of an initial title as good as that. Think it was something about being a coffee cup simulator.

Specifically Shadowy Coffee Cup Simulator.

I have to admit that while "Prey - Hot Half-Asian inserts foreign objects while brother watches." has a lot of flair to it, quite a few goons have mentioned they had no idea Prey was worthwhile until they saw this thread title, went "I want more System Shock!" and then bought the game and liked it. It's not a super witty thread title, but it is effective!

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

precision posted:

Do yourself a favour and play System Shock 2 first. When devs hype "the spiritual successor to System Shock" they're talking about System Shock 2.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

System Shock is an amazing game and in some ways even a better game than SS2, but they are very different beasts it is true.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Yeah i mean the one you prefer is going to come down to preference, but just saying when you're talking about the ancestor of the modern immersive sim, you're probably talking about SS2.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

hampig posted:

Yeah i mean the one you prefer is going to come down to preference

You don't say? :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dyz posted:

Get the enhanced edition. Having to turn by pointing to the side of the screen gets incredibly tedious.

What? You can use the keyboard to turn -- SS1 uses a modified WASD scheme, with SZXC to move, AD to turn, QWE to lean and RFV to look (and IIRC TGB to switch between standing/crouching/prone). There's also numpad-based controls, but I don't remember those offhand. Space jumps and Shift does double duty as "run" and "turn twice as fast". This also puts your hand in a good place for tab (switch weapons) and the number keys (toggle implants).

You can play it entirely as a mouse-driven game but that sounds extremely painful.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Man, last night my friend used my neuromods to unlock Leverage 3 and forgot to tell me and I saved over it (I've been using one save slot so I have to stick to my choices and play it through) and at first I was like "oh man he wasted so many of them!!!!" but now.... I am kind of into it. Guess I'll be drinking all that space beer and hulking out. These typhon motherfuckers think I'm running away in fear but I'm really just going back to find something heavier to throw at them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I did a throw everything at everything play through, it was great.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it's surprisingly satisfying to just fling a bookshelf at the bad guys..

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

I did a throw everything at everything play through, it was great.

It's very funny. I use the boltcaster to lure them over somewhere, then I sneak up behind them as much as possible and throw a huge loving crate. At first I was gluing them down but it's not really needed, the first object will get them near enough to death for me to just book it around the room until I find another huge item to throw at them. And if there are more than one I can finish them off with a shotgun blast and whittle them down that way.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
You can combine remote manipulation with leverage to basically turn it into the telekinesis power from bioshock.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was watching a friend trying to get past a door blocked by heavy crates. Lacking the leverage 3 skill, he went around looking for recycler grenades...no dice. So he goes around looking for a cup. He places a cup on the ledge of the crate, turns into a cup, uses the placed cup as a step, then wedges himself through a gap. goty

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

aniviron posted:

The first time I played SS1 it was on the Enhanced Edition and while it is, to my mind, superior the game was very obviously not designed with mouselook and smooth controlling in mind. The combat is pretty trivial even on the highest difficulties because you're moving and reacting way faster than you were intended to be.

Still worth playing though.

Specifically Shadowy Coffee Cup Simulator.

I have to admit that while "Prey - Hot Half-Asian inserts foreign objects while brother watches." has a lot of flair to it, quite a few goons have mentioned they had no idea Prey was worthwhile until they saw this thread title, went "I want more System Shock!" and then bought the game and liked it. It's not a super witty thread title, but it is effective!

Kinda, the enhanced edition lets you turn mouselook on and off and having it off is really nice when leaning around a corner to shoot baddies. The mouselook just makes movement and searching faster without requiring half of your keyboard. It removes frustration from parts that shouldn’t be frustrating to begin with since you can usually sneak up on enemies or dodge past them pretty easily regardless of what controls you are using.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

buglord posted:

I was watching a friend trying to get past a door blocked by heavy crates. Lacking the leverage 3 skill, he went around looking for recycler grenades...no dice. So he goes around looking for a cup. He places a cup on the ledge of the crate, turns into a cup, uses the placed cup as a step, then wedges himself through a gap. goty

The huge number of ways to get past poo poo stacked in your way are a microcosm of why the game is so great. I was about to invest in leverage when I remembered I had a psychic attack power called kinetic blast- surely something with a name like that moves poo poo around, too? And sure enough, it does.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Being able to throw really big things at enemies is great, ragdolling a typhon is pretty entertaining

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's obviously false. Literally their first post about the game makes it clear it's an immersive sim in the legacy of the Looking Glass games. Later they posted about how you can turn into a cup and their main preview of the game was all about how it's like Deus Ex. Literally at no point did they treat the game like a mediocre-looking action shooter.

Okay yup you're right, it must have been some other PC gaming site/blog I'm thinking of that was underselling the coverage. RPS did a great job of covering it.

Either way I don't think its exactly controversial that the positioning and marketing of this game was hella botched :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It took me a stupidly long time to cotton on to the trick of using Recycle nades to clear rubble. Thankfully I haven't put any points into Leverage. I was gonna do a human-only run but I'm bad at the combat and being able to psychically blast dudes has been a lifesaver.

Also where is the drat tazer, I'm pretty sure I should have found it by now but I just... haven't. I've found like 4 shotguns though!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I hope Arkane regroup outside Bethesda.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

precision posted:

Also where is the drat tazer, I'm pretty sure I should have found it by now but I just... haven't. I've found like 4 shotguns though!
Second floor of Neuromod testing lab lobby

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can also find a stun gun by following December's instructions, the first step will take you to it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm pretty sure I'm in the end game I haven't yet found the Q-beam gun or whatever it's called, this weapon I've never seen that operators drop ammo for.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finally finished my first playthrough of this game like 7 months later. I took a long hiatus. Final opinion is that this game was really really excellent, and during my second approach to the game I was super into it but kinda bounced off a few hours in right after it came out. The game is not without jank and I found myself frustrated by the combat, but once it clicked it really clicked. By the end I had enough mods to be a walking death machine so I just stopped sneaking at all and instead just murdered everything in my path.

Only real complaint is I to redo a small chunk of the cargo bay section of the main quest when one of the quest objectives just bugged out and no one would acknowledge that all the typhon were dead. Worked out alright though and now I'm already kind of wanting to play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Entropic posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm in the end game I haven't yet found the Q-beam gun or whatever it's called, this weapon I've never seen that operators drop ammo for.

It took me a long time to find the q-beam too, but I think I found it before then. It was weird though, after I found my first one I started finding them all over the place and wondered how I failed to run into any of them up until that point.