Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I know that's some stupid naming tradition thing but can we just watch Tara Strong save a fox instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

The Malthusian posted:

It needs to raise $70000 more in 4 days to become real, so we are probably safe.

I can't imagine it will be difficult to get people to pledge that much to fund a quarter million dollar 5 minute trailer for an animated webcomic.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Desiden posted:

I can't imagine it will be difficult to get people to pledge that much to fund a quarter million dollar 5 minute trailer for an animated webcomic.

Tarol's fans funded the down payment on his house in exchange for a short comic, so there are totally some people willing to throw lots of money at him. It does look like he hit critical-fan-leverage-mass at $173k though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So a while back, I backed Unity RPG on Kickstarter. I finally got around to looking at the pre-release stuff, and drat, guys. This is loving great, so far. Like a streamlined, more flavorful 4e, with crunch in the right places and fluff elsewhere.

The updates have been making me optimistic, too - like, they hired an actual professional editor. And did good stuff with layout.

I'll try and do an F&F once the final book is ready.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

So a while back, I backed Unity RPG on Kickstarter. I finally got around to looking at the pre-release stuff, and drat, guys. This is loving great, so far. Like a streamlined, more flavorful 4e, with crunch in the right places and fluff elsewhere.

The updates have been making me optimistic, too - like, they hired an actual professional editor. And did good stuff with layout.

Does it look better than Strike!?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Does it look better than Strike!?
It's more traditional and less universal than Strike - with a strong and so far interesting-looking setting. And the art is great. Keep in mind, I have not played it yet - so this is based on a reading of the rules. But!

I like a lot of the things I see. First, there's all kinds of cool notes in the margins...

...And it is built on failing forward, even down to basic attacks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That actually has narrative and attention and an editor and layout and so many other things, so yep much better than Strike.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

I'm very interested but F&F isn't bookmarked for me, please link when you post.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It seems to suffer from at least a minor case of unnecessary vocabulary, but I can forgive a few issues like th - oh look, diceless GMing!

And I'm glad it is getting an editing pass - the pre-release has some issues which should be easy to fix.

edit:

Moriatti posted:

Will do. I will also need to get off my rear end and do it. The PDF is set to drop really soon...

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 20, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Moriatti posted:

:same: It looks quite interesting dwarf74.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

4e But Gridless reminds me a lot of what 13th Age tried to do (and didn't really hook w/ me). Cautiously interested, though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

That actually has narrative and attention and an editor and layout and so many other things, so yep much better than Strike.

You think Forgotten Realm is good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mitama posted:

4e But Gridless reminds me a lot of what 13th Age tried to do (and didn't really hook w/ me). Cautiously interested, though.

i wish them the best but same.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

fool_of_sound posted:

You think Forgotten Realm is good

Yeah I have to agree that ruins any credibility about one having good taste

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Arivia posted:

You have like the weirdest loving grudge against that system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You know what else has marginalia?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Now humans are back, and better than ever!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zerilan posted:

I don’t have a grudge. It’s just bad and it’s baffling to see a bad system get promoted so heavily here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I have to agree that ruins any credibility about one having good taste

Arivia did nothing wrong

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zerilan posted:

Arivia is nothing but weird grudges made manifest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DalaranJ posted:

Now humans are back, and better than ever!
In pog form!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

I don’t have a grudge. It’s just bad and it’s baffling to see a bad system get promoted so heavily here.

Give me a fuckin break, you pounce on every mention of the game that crops up in this and other threads and it's obnoxious as hell.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i just wrapped up a strike campaign that ran for a year. the system has its problems, but it was fun as hell to run. i might run it again sometime in the future

this unity rpg stuff looks pretty cool too though

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Arivia posted:

If it isn't a grudge, it's scientifically indistinguishable from one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dwarf74 posted:

How did I miss this? Boo.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sounds cool, but what's with the adversity to a grid?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I have no idea how running 4E gridless can work well honestly and it removes one of the biggest drawns I have for it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Merry Christmas folks. I made you a Lasers & Feelings hack about beating the poo poo out of Santa Claus.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You know what else has marginalia?

The sidebars in the cypher games are okay when they're adding flavor asides in, but the page citations are so inconsistent and bad it drives me crazy. They often point to the same 10 concepts on the same page numbers over and over, which in a few cases isn't even a place that defines the concept in a clear way. On top of that, the books still drop random words and terms throughout the text without pointing to a page you can look up a better explanation of the term.

Plutonis posted:

I have no idea how running 4E gridless can work well honestly and it removes one of the biggest drawns I have for it.

There's a combat sample on the kickstarter's page here if you want an idea. It looks like the game uses abstracted ranges similar to 13th age with adjacent/nearby/far being the key distances.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 20, 2017

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
You know, people are allowed to like more than one game. It's not like people who like Strike! are cheating on me if they buy another game. In fact, people who buy other indie RPGs are much more likely to buy Strike! than someone who never has, so it's literally the opposite of competition.

I'm interested in seeing if this game does gridless better than 13A.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
someone make a full spectrum setting supplement plus sample adventure for Strike and I will throw money at it

Dec 26, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's a combat sample on the kickstarter's page here if you want an idea. It looks like the game uses abstracted ranges similar to 13th age with adjacent/nearby/far being the key distances.

This looks pretty good on a quick scan. I definitely like the diceless setup.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cassa posted:

I'll see what's in the final PDF release, which should be out pretty soon. As mentioned above, it looks like it takes a cue from 13A, but my initial impression from the playtest packet was that it was a small step crunchier than that.

After running 4e for several 1-20 and now a 1-30 campaign, I like my grids but don't need them in every game. :) Even if this is a largely gridless 4e-alike that will fill a good niche that is currently sitting empty.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cassa posted:

Using a grid adds a level of "props overhead" and "gameplay overhead" that people sometimes want to do away with.

It's also a little funny to see this push-pull happen because despite 5e being lauded for "allowing for gridless play", there are a LOT of groups that like to use miniatures and create terrain battlefields anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cassa posted:

Gridded and gridless both have their advantages. A genuinely gridless modern d&d alike would be good for running or playing games where I don't have reliable access to a large table.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

someone make a full spectrum setting supplement plus sample adventure for Strike and I will throw money at it

I've got one of these kicking around in my head. How in-depth would you want it?
Also, Jimbozig, do you have any plans to release something like this or not because if not...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Moriatti posted:

I've got one of these kicking around in my head. How in-depth would you want it?
Also, Jimbozig, do you have any plans to release something like this or not because if not...

Ideally, a guide to "here's how you turn Strike into a 4e-clone PHB", plus an adventure similar to what's in the back of the DMG complete with monster statblocks and encounters (except, you know, good).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I think Strike is bad but people are allowed to like bad games so wtf ever

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

this looks pretty interesting. still gonna need to use a map of some kind to keep track of those relative ranges, but it seems like it could work. i would prefer a grid, but i wouldn't be averse to giving this a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I think Strike is bad but people are allowed to like bad games so wtf ever

no one should be allowed to like pbta

• Locked thread