Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

i need six clocks on my homescreen, okay?

watch out that joke is about to start collecting social security and it's going to have a lot of time on its hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Android has apps and some manufacturers have built in ambient screen that uses the proximity sensor to determine when you pull it out of your pocket and turns the screen on without the need to press the power button

all iphones past the 6s have this feature (raise to wake)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

watch out that joke is about to start collecting social security and it's going to have a lot of time on its hands

sach

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

idk i genuinely like android mostly for its notifications but im also an empty inbox take care of everything as it comes in kind of guy

one of the androidpolice (lets assume hes a sergeant or detective at the android police force) is using an iphone x for a month and in the article about what he likes about ios he cites "not being aware of anything anymore" because the notifications are so bad on ios. i dont use my phone for work so id call it a negative but i can see the appeal if you get a lot of poo poo and actually have to do things with all of them

that said id never call it a good os its got a shitload of problems but i do like the usage paradigm. im also p. far up googles rear end in terms of ecosystem buy in so theres that but im told that really isnt a problem on ios

i also like googles material design and overall aesthetic more than apples but its not a deciding factor for me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Android has apps and some manufacturers have built in ambient screen that uses the proximity sensor to determine when you pull it out of your pocket and turns the screen on without the need to press the power button

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i have this its actually dope and useful

yes, i do too

on my iphone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LastInLine posted:

idk i genuinely like android mostly for its notifications but im also an empty inbox take care of everything as it comes in kind of guy

one of the androidpolice (lets assume hes a sergeant or detective at the android police force) is using an iphone x for a month and in the article about what he likes about ios he cites "not being aware of anything anymore" because the notifications are so bad on ios. i dont use my phone for work so id call it a negative but i can see the appeal if you get a lot of poo poo and actually have to do things with all of them

i have no idea what any of this means. you get notifications on the lock screen (if you enable them) for incoming messages, calls, etc. they can be just an indication that something came in or a preview of the message. you can select them to open the app and respond. what exactly are you expecting to do that ios doesn't do with "notifications"?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yes, i do too

on my iphone

the sensor also works when you wave your hand over it without picking up the phone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i have no idea what any of this means. you get notifications on the lock screen (if you enable them) for incoming messages, calls, etc. they can be just an indication that something came in or a preview of the message. you can select them to open the app and respond. what exactly are you expecting to do that ios doesn't do with "notifications"?

youd have to ask him ive never used ios

if i had to hazard a guess id say its that notifications arent always visible on every screen and that you have to make a conscious effort to go look for them. dont they just show up once and if you dont do anything with them you have to go to the notification center to view them after the fact?

like i said its just a guess. personally i use pending notifications like i would a reminder and the fact that theres an icon there tells me theres an action to perform at some future time when its convenient. without that icon i would just never do whatever it was i was intending to do later

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
you have to swipe downward yes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LastInLine posted:

ive never used ios
poor detected

standby for rule 36 containment and sterilization policy implementation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes... if you dismiss the notification you have to go to the notification panel to see it again

i guess this is how you get those comedy screenshots of android with a hundred little icons crammed into that top bar, communicating nothing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

yes... if you dismiss the notification you have to go to the notification panel to see it again

i guess this is how you get those comedy screenshots of android with a hundred little icons crammed into that top bar, communicating nothing

yeah thats the flip side to it if you arent the kind of person who takes care of things as they arise welp

i have to imagine theres a lot more people who are like that than who are like me

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FMguru posted:

poor detected

standby for rule 36 containment and sterilization policy implementation

im already sterile and im p. much contained as it is since im already an android user

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Phobeste posted:

what did you customize on your andoid that you cannot customize on an iPhone

the launcher

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

atomicthumbs posted:

the launcher

why did you customize this

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Phobeste posted:

why did you customize this

so that I could arrange my icons how I wanted and also switch back to the old Google logo, duh

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

it is not difficult to parse that the FB messenger icon appearing means that you have a FB message

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so why do the android screenshots show multiple of the same icon until the bar fills up? what exactly does that communicate other than your status bar looks like a dishrag?

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

because people haven't opened those messages. it communicates that people shouldn't have those apps installed because they don't believe they're important to respond to.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

theodop posted:

because people haven't opened those messages. it communicates that people shouldn't have those apps installed because they don't believe they're important to respond to.

huh?

this doesnt make sense.

Anroid.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

Last Chance posted:

huh?

this doesnt make sense.

Anroid.

which part?

if someone gets a message, an icon appears up top. It goes away when they open the message. If they don't want to see notifications for messages up top because they don't open their messages, they should disable notifications for the app or uninstall it because they're clearly not using it.

My notification tray has 2 notifications: a reminder to do a thing when I get home and a paused podcast.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

so why do the android screenshots show multiple of the same icon until the bar fills up? what exactly does that communicate other than your status bar looks like a dishrag?

sometimes it means the app is poo poo that is to say it generates a new and unique notification for each thing instead of updating the existing notification. ive never seen this personally but ive seen it enough in screenshots to know thats whats happening. like hangouts will never show multiple notifications no matter how many messages you have but i think if you take five screenshots you get five notifications

sometimes (rarely since this is a nougat feature) you can have multiple notifications from the same app because theyre in different notification channels. as an example my podcast app has a notification channel for playback controls and new eps (among others) so its possible to see a notification for a playing podcast while having another for a new ep. each channel is completely configurable from whether and how you want it to display to whether it uses the light or makes sounds

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

sometimes it means the app is poo poo that is to say it generates a new and unique notification for each thing instead of updating the existing notification. ive never seen this personally but ive seen it enough in screenshots to know thats whats happening. like hangouts will never show multiple notifications no matter how many messages you have but i think if you take five screenshots you get five notifications

sometimes (rarely since this is a nougat feature) you can have multiple notifications from the same app because theyre in different notification channels. as an example my podcast app has a notification channel for playback controls and new eps (among others) so its possible to see a notification for a playing podcast while having another for a new ep. each channel is completely configurable from whether and how you want it to display to whether it uses the light or makes sounds

android should ship with an app that just shows train videos and nothing else

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LastInLine posted:

twitter does this on the one android tablet i have

just a status bar full of birds if the canoe is going full swing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
when an app asks for notifications Just Say No, life's too short to take orders from a computer

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Blue Train posted:

the iPhone also has this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

...why would i need a notification that i took a screenshot? i actively did the thing so i know i did the thing. why would i ever need to be further notified that i did a thing that I have to actively do? does android also poo poo out a notification every time you unlock it or go to the home screen?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if one of the many malware apps is snapping your screen to exfiltrate usage data and access information the app doesn't directly have permissions to? now finally there's a way to tell!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hypothesis: every unique feature of android is actually a work around to mitigate a terrible design decision

e.g. excessive customization exists to mask the fact that the UI isn't well enough designed to function correctly out of the box

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

...why would i need a notification that i took a screenshot? i actively did the thing so i know i did the thing. why would i ever need to be further notified that i did a thing that I have to actively do? does android also poo poo out a notification every time you unlock it or go to the home screen?

You can share or edit it from the notification

pram
Jun 10, 2001

LastInLine posted:

this os sounds like a real pos op

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

what if android but no apps and a six year old browser that will never again be updated

lol they're making a new Nokia 9

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

Anroid got tired of copying IOS so now they're copying Windows

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

android should ship with an app that just shows train videos and nothing else

youtube for kids category thomas and friends

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That's been happening to me a lot too lately, funny thing is that the shots end up in your gallery anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

AI is so close guys

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Pretty nice. The Nokia 8 is on the top of my list to upgrade to next year. Maybe the 9 will take its spot if the price on the 8 isn’t too enticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Last year, Google ran an experiment with audio ads on Google Home devices, which made a lot of people upset. Now, a CNBC report claims that Amazon might do something similar on its Echo speaker lineup.

Amazon is currently in talks with brands like Procter & Gamble and Clorox for ads within specific skills, and for data-sharing agreements that’d let them dig through users’ shopping history, according to CNBC. It’s also talked with companies about sponsored placements in product searches on Echo devices, and about using customers’ purchase habits to suggest products they might like.