Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Democrats are going to get blamed ruining the economy with the tax bill (that just passed lol)

RIP in piss america

Democrats take congress in 2018 but not enough seats to impeach making Trump a lame duck for 2 years and preventing the democrats from fixing anything. Democrats take the presidency in 2020, but lose their congressional majority in one or both houses due to low voter turnout because of lack of enthusiasm for their play it safe milquetoast "Hey, I'm not Trump!" candidate. Economy crashes in 2021, democrats are blamed and republicans take both houses. Democrats lose to Kid Rock in 2024 election, and the cycle continues ~~~~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Every time you open your mouth you top your previous retardation.

If you took my post at face value you’re smart.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Did trump accidentally veto this drat thing yet

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

So if the rich will kill the poors who will support the rich

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The economy isn't going to wait until 2021 to pop. It's going to crater loving hard next year and has already been starting to dip. The bill won't go into effect immediately, but it will cause an immediate reaction.

This is the biggest and most blatant wealth transfer up in the nation's history at a time when it is needed least. The tax increases on the people who actually spend money are going to grind the economy to a standstill.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The economy isn't going to wait until 2021 to pop. It's going to crater loving hard next year and has already been starting to dip. The bill won't go into effect immediately, but it will cause an immediate reaction.

This is the biggest and most blatant wealth transfer up in the nation's history at a time when it is needed least. The tax increases on the people who actually spend money are going to grind the economy to a standstill.

This. It’s gonna hit hard. People can’t afford houses now. Everything is gonna tank.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's gonna be the culprit this time around?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Do we know if this tax bill is retroactively affecting 2017 yet?

I just got an email from HR today letting me know that they approved my tuition reimbursement and are depositing it to my bank account, and need to know if I need to withhold some of it to pay the income tax.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I hope that this economic downturn is the bigliest

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

BigDave posted:

Subprime loans again.

Alternately- people taking out loans to balance other debt. HELOCS, unsecured loans, etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

boop the snoot posted:

If you took my post at face value you’re smart.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/trump-threatens-cut-aid-jerusalem-vote-171220173323324.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arven posted:

Do we know if this tax bill is retroactively affecting 2017 yet?

I just got an email from HR today letting me know that they approved my tuition reimbursement and are depositing it to my bank account, and need to know if I need to withhold some of it to pay the income tax.

Employee tuition has always been treated differently from tuition waivers.
https://www.irs.com/articles/employer-tuition-reimbursement

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

The stupidest motherfuckers in the kitchen trying to convince everyone else to stick their dicks into the garbage disposal.

facialimpediment posted:

My contribution:

Both parties are the same, they're both bought-and-sold already, so I'm voting green party.

(This came up a lot in 2016 and 2000)

Edit for below: Not serious at all, tagging along with the pessimistposting :argh:

Join your masticated brethren around the sink. (I figure you're being ironic)

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 20, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Immanentized posted:

The stupidest motherfuckers in the kitchen trying to convince everyone else to stick their dicks into the garbage disposal.

Then threaten them with taking away funding if they don’t.

Wonder what happens when all the places we have US bases say no.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My contribution:

Both parties are the same, they're both bought-and-sold already, so I'm voting green party.

Edit for below: Not serious at all, tagging along with the pessimistposting :argh:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 20, 2017

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

My contribution:

Assuming you're sincere, gently caress you.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

Lollin' at anybody that thinks being poor isn't a monumental pain in the rear end and a nonstop anxiety attack.

For real. I grew up poor and didn't achieve any real financial stability till about a year after I left college. Unless you've been there, it's incredibly hard to understand how loving lovely it is.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Soulex posted:

We pull out and lose our ability to influence geopolitical situations. Trump gets re-elected for putting America first and saving taxpayer dollars.

Turkey is invaded by Russia, China imposes a blockade of Japan, President Pence is elected because democrats are "weak on defense".

President Pence is relected on a promise to outlaw self driving cars after an army of newly unemployed truck drivers march on Washington. Effigys of Senator Musk are burned in celebration.

Republicans secure a permanent congressional majority as blue leaning New york and L.A. are washed away by rising sea levels and monthly CAT 5 hurricanes.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 20, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

BigDave posted:

The gays or MS-13.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Soulex posted:

We got carriers! Bigly boats like islands! What do we need ports for????

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Virginia just flipped again.

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943559301737713665

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943561990441721858

The final delegate spot is now a tie instead of a Democratic win. There's a weird coin flip thing still to come.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I see the intent but yeah.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Horseshit. Both observers agreed and certified it as not a valid vote yesterday, and then the Republican one gets cold feet after seeing the result and plays take-backsies.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile, Nikki Haley says we’ll be “taking names” of whoever votes against the US in a non-binding UNGA vote calling for the embassy to not be moved to Jerusalem. I guess we’re just gonna go to war with everyone to be on the safe side.

https://apnews.com/bc946df73d6f4206af39cf3c5b67c40f

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
we are the finest democracy in the world

https://twitter.com/srl/status/943564708979838976

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That is such loving bullshit. The GOP observer gets cold feet and suddenly it's back to a tie.

God dammit.

Seriously looking forward to the GOP observer at the coin flip screaming that tails actually means heads because the eagle has a head on it so therefore...

gently caress these people.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 20, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

Meanwhile, Nikki Haley says we’ll be “taking names” of whoever votes against the US in a non-binding UNGA vote calling for the embassy to not be moved to Jerusalem. I guess we’re just gonna go to war with everyone to be on the safe side.

https://apnews.com/bc946df73d6f4206af39cf3c5b67c40f

This will be rad case study in future international relations-courses about how a superpower can destroy decades of built up diplomatic influence in a matter of weeks.

rip in piss US status as superpower, killed to death by the GOP and an orange trash goblin

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

That is such loving bullshit. The GOP observer gets cold feet and suddenly it's back to a tie.

God dammit.

Seriously looking forward to the GOP observer at the coin flip screaming that tails actually means heads because the eagle has a head on it so therefore...

Heads I win, tails you lose.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

God dammit.

My conflict:

1) The state is gerrymandered to gently caress and every vote doesn't count the same, with Democrats winning like 8% more votes but only tying in the Virginia legislature. That's anti-democratic (small d).

2) Every vote needs to count, even stupid people's votes when they don't just request a new ballot from the election official (either in-person or by mail). Doesn't matter which candidate they picked.

Gonna be a consequential coin flip!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

Horseshit. Both observers agreed and certified it as not a valid vote yesterday, and then the Republican one gets cold feet after seeing the result and plays take-backsies.

How’s it done in Virginia? I would think that the judges make the final determination on the discards after the initial recount is finished. That’s how the article makes it sound.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:distonk:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

God dammit.

It's doubly loving bullshit because he signed off previously not counting the vote and then saw the results of the recount and changed his mind.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

redneck nazgul posted:

Well that's different.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I remember loling in this very thread at how unpassable the tax-bill was. Feeling real smart now.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Real talk, join your local DSA or some other progressive group (or whatever). It feels amazing to actually go out and do something aside from :justpost:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i got a response back from the DSA's tech committee when i asked if i could help

a mere year later

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/943576347590344704

:stare:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

JFC

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Chances are Scalise told Trump that joke behind closed doors a while back.

You can't tell Trump anything without expecting he will repeat it at a really stupid time (recall: dead soldiers knowing what they signed up for).

By the way, that whole ceremony is one gigantic Democratic ad in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I chuckled a bit?

I mean awful thing to say, but it's a little bit funny.

• Locked thread