Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
no one should be allowed to eat pita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
That looks good, but I’m not sure how any 4e like system can work without a grid. Movement is, like, a core part of tactical combat.

As for Strike!, what’s so bad? I keep trying to get it to our local table and need to know if there’s any problems. I did read it had the Status Dead problem (dead is better than any status effect) and I agree the first half of the book is a bit of a wall of text explaining the base resolution system, but it still looks pretty good to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For one, so much of the game is customizable that it takes a long time to read through and digest. I find myself having this problem with a lot of newer, better-designed games, including Fragged Empire and Let Thrones Beware. They are easy to reference but difficult to chew through and fully digest.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah as much as I am intrigued by Fragged Empire, I'm definitely repeatedly smacking my face against the glass when it comes to reading the mechanics.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Weirdly I found it a lot easier to wrap my head around Fragged Empire base game after reading the variants from the kickstarter.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 20, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

That looks good, but I’m not sure how any 4e like system can work without a grid. Movement is, like, a core part of tactical combat.
Yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on it. If it hits a spot between 4e and 13A, that's a good spot for me.

quote:

As for Strike!, what’s so bad? I keep trying to get it to our local table and need to know if there’s any problems. I did read it had the Status Dead problem (dead is better than any status effect) and I agree the first half of the book is a bit of a wall of text explaining the base resolution system, but it still looks pretty good to me.
Strike! looks good, but I have a big problem when it comes to generic/universal RPGs. I'm easily distracted, and without good flavor and setting, I lose interest in mechanics. For me, a full-on conversion of the rules with an interesting setting would help a lot. I don't want to do the toolkit work; I'd rather pay for someone else to do that.

That's also a barrier when I'm presenting a game to my group. Setting and fluff are what draw them into an idea.

Hostile V posted:

Yeah as much as I am intrigued by Fragged Empire, I'm definitely repeatedly smacking my face against the glass when it comes to reading the mechanics.
Me too. I feel like I need a physical copy of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

Every time this conversation crops up, it usually revolves around how Strike is written to be very setting-agnostic to the point where it can turn some people off (or like me, be too lazy to put in the work to skin it), as well as the fact that it's written with such a "first-time player, no assumptions" style that it can feel overly verbose and insufficiently edited for old hands (but that style is otherwise really good for anyone who isn't a veteran of the hobby).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbo buy me a Nintendo Switch and I'll write you a setting book in two weeks

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru posted:

:capitalism:

That's the danger with aligning your interests with an online earning platform's. Something like Uber or AirBnB or eBay or Twitch comes along and it works for you and you organize your livelihood around it. But it's a one-way arrangement, subject to revision at any time from the service, and they will screw you hard in an eyeblink. I've seen people build their businesses around putting properties on AirBnB only to have their account deactivated with no warning and no ability to contest the decision, or people who went all-in on driving for Uber only to see their per-ride compensation get clawed away to the level where it barely covers their gas. With some effort and luck you can make a good living streaming on Twitch or YouTube, but it's precarious because at any moment someone in a giant corporation can push a button and obliterate that and there's nothing you can do about it.

The situations are made worse because these new spaces tend to quickly collapse to a single winner-take-all company dominating them and the people funding them are VCs and their business model is: 1) lose money to gain marketshare, 2) use that to become dominant in the market, 3) pivot and change your terms so you go from losing money to making money (taking it out of the hides of the people doing the earning). Also, lots of these spaces have little or no regulation so the power differential between you and the company is even starker.

I'm old enough to remember the 1990s and all the different online auction sites that used to exist. eBay eventually drove them all into submission, and like clockwork their rates started rising and they started charging fees for things that used to be free. Sooner or later every one of these services is going to figure their in a position to really turn the screws on the people who have come to rely on them.

Welcome to Cyberpunk 2017, I guess.
Just bumping my post about Patreon from a couple of weeks ago to add that it isn't just small fry little guys building their livelihoods on these new digital services and making themselves extremely vulnerable to getting screwed over by the power asymmetry - lots of major publishers and media companies who have tried to build their future around Facebook get run in circles, have their deals renegotiated from under them, and find themselves essentially becoming serfs on Zuckerberg's landed estate.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/943471607783346176
https://twitter.com/rafat/status/943469076063584256

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

hyphz posted:

As someone that enjoys Strike, my main complaints are:

-It could have used another technical editing pass for usability. Or maybe an entirely different approach.
-The Kits system is optional but kind of all over the place, and should not be used unless you've tried the system without it and think people need another axis for character customization (hint: they probably don't).
-The minigames can feel pretty disconnected from the fiction unless you really make sure everyone describes their actions.
-The Wealth system is kind of confusing.

That said, I still really enjoy running it, which makes it stand out for me among tactical games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Just bumping my post about Patreon from a couple of weeks ago to add that it isn't just small fry little guys building their livelihoods on these new digital services and making themselves extremely vulnerable to getting screwed over by the power asymmetry - lots of major publishers and media companies who have tried to build their future around Facebook get run in circles, have their deals renegotiated from under them, and find themselves essentially becoming serfs on Zuckerberg's landed estate.

Youtube is another great example of this, where peoples' behavior toward content production is massively shaped and controlled by whatever algorithm Google uses to show their videos (and the lack of transparency for what that algorithm is)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ettin posted:

Merry Christmas folks. I made you a Lasers & Feelings hack about beating the poo poo out of Santa Claus.

Thank you.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Fight Before Christmas also looks pretty good for doing a heist where you assemble a crack team of Grinches to steal a Holiday.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So a friend and I finally hashed out the rules for 'leveling the playing field' in social interactions.

Basic Assumptions/Requirements:
-Charisma as a statistic is gone forever.
-Social skills and related feats are also removed from the game.
-Spells that obviate social encounters (i.e., Charm Person) are completely removed from every spell list save the Bard's.

System:
-The player declares what they want to happen as a result of the social interaction and how they're doing it. Have them act it out.

-Start with a base DC - let's say 12 - and adjust by 2 for every 'degree' of difficulty you think the PC's request adds/subtracts to the target's (i.e., asking the prison guard to let you out would enormously complicate their life and be a very difficult check). You can further modify it by how well the player acts it out.

-The roll is modified by how similar/different alignments are.
This is the most enormously complicated part of the system. Basically it weighs Good/Neutral/Evil much more heavily than Law/Neutral/Chaos. To illustrate how the weights/modifiers work:
*Every degree of difference on the Good/Neutral/Evil axis subtracts 2 from the roll. So a LG character has a +3 bonus when interacting with other LG NPCs, +1 when interacting with LN NPCs, and -1 when interacting with LE NPCs.
*Differences on the Law/Neutral/Chaos axis only ever impose a single bonus/malus. So a LG character has a +2 bonus when interacting with either NG/CG NPCs, +0 with TN/CN NPCs, and -2 with NE/CE NPCs.

My friend ginned up a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like:

-If the player is a class that's suitable for the role (i.e., a Fighter asking the Captain of the Guard to step aside is suitable, but a Fighter asking the Archmage for a forbidden scroll is not), give them advantage on the roll. If unsuitable, disadvantage.

-If the players use a spell to circumvent the check, they automatically succeed but with consequence. Magical compulsion is completely unnatural and does nothing to change the target's true way of thinking once the spell wears off. For example, compelling the king to send a squad of soldiers to help you check out the deserted village initially works, but after the first combat encounter a messenger arrives immediately recalling the squad. Or the king's wizard steps in and dispels your charm, informing the king of what happened - the king may allow the request to go through, but all subsequent requests are one degree more difficult or suffer disadvantage on top of the wizard being at his side to immediately counter any future charm spells.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

For me, it's poorly written, poorly edited (by which I mean "this looks like a rough draft"), there's a ton of snarky editorializing that is incredibly off-putting, and there's a lot of :airquotes: mechanics :airquotes: that are little more than "gently caress it do whatever". If this were my first RPG I definitely wouldn't have picked up another.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Youtube is another great example of this, where peoples' behavior toward content production is massively shaped and controlled by whatever algorithm Google uses to show their videos (and the lack of transparency for what that algorithm is)

my favorite tweet on the subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrismohney/status/940424592363081729

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"The algorithm won't like that" is going to be the main phrase of 2019.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

the other quote you get from clicking on that is great too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Those creators should have built their own video distribution platforms. They could really have given YouTube and Facebook what for!

Anyway.

Have: group of 5 players (incl myself) in a 5e homebrew campaign trapped under the full, unmitigated weight of its imbalances and mechanical foibles

Want: a familiar-ish system in a non-fantasy setting that I can run for 3-4 sessions. Attributes, skills, feats, numerical bonuses, character classes.

Thinking about: Spycraft 2.0? I think Fragged Empire might be too far afield, BitD is close to fantasy, Night’s Black Agents has a horror angle I don’t think we want. I can’t find any prewritten adventures for Spycraft 2, which would be nice, but I’ll keep looking.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

dwarf74 posted:

Strike! looks good, but I have a big problem when it comes to generic/universal RPGs. I'm easily distracted, and without good flavor and setting, I lose interest in mechanics. For me, a full-on conversion of the rules with an interesting setting would help a lot. I don't want to do the toolkit work; I'd rather pay for someone else to do that.

I half-jokingly started writing up the Strike! rules as if they were a 5e supplement a while back, would that kind of thing actually be valuable? http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/ByzsvcYrHb (I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near complete enough to be a copyright problem, it only has the dice tables and one class)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

*crashes through the door*
Have you tried Star Trek Adventures?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

If you're not a fan of NBA's supernatural angle there's always vanilla Gumshoe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hostile V posted:

If you're not a fan of NBA's supernatural angle

There's a Chaos DUnk RPG?!!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

There's a Chaos DUnk RPG?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6zqHKd265E

I always wished there was an RPG where I could play the octoroon great-grandson of a notable NBA player.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LuiCypher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6zqHKd265E

I always wished there was an RPG where I could play the octoroon great-grandson of a notable NBA player.

my man, have you heard of Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

So I'm joining my friends' Dungeon World campaign as a Paladin in the new year, with the basic character concept of Sailorc Moon. Any tips on how not to be That Paladin?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Freudian posted:

So I'm joining my friends' Dungeon World campaign as a Paladin in the new year, with the basic character concept of Sailorc Moon. Any tips on how not to be That Paladin?

Be Tuxedo Mask's best friend instead. Who that is I don't know, but he's probably a cool dude.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Freudian posted:

I have to ask.

Sailor Moon or Sailor ORC Moon? :ohdear:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LuiCypher posted:

-The roll is modified by how similar/different alignments are.
God no.

Assuming by "the game" you mean 5e:

1) remove charisma from the game
2) merge str and con while we're here
3) have the player describe their action
4) they roll stat, prof, or stat + prof (or no stat + expertise if better), based on how well they tie it into the existing scene. Paying the tiniest bit of attention gets stat or prof, whichever is better. Actually addressing relevant parts of the scene gets advantage. Having a background or skill relevant to the scene or NPC and integrating it into the description gets stat + prof or no stat + expertise.

Default stat for interactions is brawn because people trust healthy looking people :biotruths:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hyphz posted:

Strike! has no setting and only the barest hint of a theme, but trying to make completely flavor-neutral 4E powers is impossible, so it occupies a really weird place narratively where it's not actually good for non-D&D things but it wants you very much to believe that it's not married to fantasy dungeon crawling. I find this mildly annoying but not a real mark against the system because all I want from a D&D clone is a vaguely disguised squad-scale wargame.

Mechanically speaking, combat is good, and encounter design is very easy and fast which is by far the biggest reason to run Strike! over whatever else. Anything that isn't combat is really flaky and loose, and the resolution system encourages weird player and GM behavior, but it's functional and non-combat stuff is not really what you came for anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 20, 2017

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

I have to ask.

Sailor Moon or Sailor ORC Moon? :ohdear:

Sailor Orc Moon. Green Amazonian High Femme. Princess Fiona is a Sailor Scout who worships the Peacock Angel, essentially. This is what happens when your GM tells you you're allowed to go full anime.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Freudian posted:

Why should your character's strong sense of godliness and morality be hampered by the profligates who choose to live a life of sin (rogues and caster classes)? Be the Paladinest you can be.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah strike's book would probably be a lot better of a read if it didn't try so hard to be so setting/theme/etc agnostic and embraced its dungeon crawler roots more.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Just refluff and rename the powers it's like what people did on the ivalice campaign I gmed. They just changed the powers names in character to final fantasy lore stuff.

E: seriously even on a bunch of 4e campaigns I saw that were theme changed to sci fi they just changed wizard stuff to super techno stuff. is it so hard to imagine the power that paralyzes a group of enemies for a turn for an ice spell or freeze grenade

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 20, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Yeah strike's book would probably be a lot better of a read if it didn't try so hard to be so setting/theme/etc agnostic and embraced its dungeon crawler roots more.

Jimbozig considers its bland lack of anything to be a strength though. He actually intentionally designed it that way because he thought it was better for the game to have Futurama references and Avatar/Star Wars in all but name instead of actual creativity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The best way to characterize Strike! in a nutshell is that there's a Necromancer class and they have a bunch of neat internal synergy with forced movement fear effects, corpse explosions, allied and enemy reanimation and so on, basically everything keys off of "use the death of your enemies to fuel your powers" and then the game looks you in the eye with a straight face and tells you that you could definitely reskin this class as some kind of space psychic.

And I mean yeah you could but they'd literally just be A Fantasy Necromancer, But in Space, because the mechanics actually do strongly support and imply a certain narrative conceit, and spoilers, it's a spooky hooded guy who raises the dead with magic.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 20, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I kind of want to write the setting I'm working on as crazy super spies. Literally a fantasy swat team that trades "dungeons" for "missions".

Basically something akin to Metal Gear's lunacy.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Running a World of Dungeons Xmas game where the PC’s loot the Tomb of Santa.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Freudian posted:

That Paladin is a joyless shitpail who is out to spoil everyone's fun by "but it's my characterrrrr"-ing their way through every interaction, be it social, combat, or even just setting up camp. I'm pretty sure you can't do it too badly by accident, but just in case here's a few tips from someone who used to read a lot of Liesmith's posts on the subject, and who's played as/with a few top-notch paladins.

Generally speaking in a historical context, a paladin knows that deep down they are fundamentally a bad person, not a good one. Most of the stories about knights that weren't "this is my super cool OC Galahad" tended to be about how they were actually kind of lovely, but strove to better themselves by keeping that on lock and forcing themselves to do good. They were trying to best their base nature, and become a better person. They had to work at being a paragon of virtue and every day was a struggle.

So there's the opportunity for the narrative of someone who's struggling with doing the right thing and does it through faith in themselves, others, and their deity. A lot of the time in D&D, your choice of deity basically boils down to "what matches my alignment" or "does it have any cool feats" and then you sorta forget about it until the DM mentions a temple of Avandra and looks at you expectantly for about 30 seconds before you suddenly remember.

That Paladin is going to use their whole "sword and shield of the divine" thing to bash people over the head and be all "but my goddddddd says" every time someone suggests so much as picking a lock. Because heavy-handed evangelism is all some people associate with religion of any sort, rather than stuff like charity, compassion, etc.

Instead, think about what your deity does (their domains, general attitude) and think logically about how to be nice about it. Of course you'll always offer aid when called upon, because you're representing your deity. You're answering a prayer on their behalf, it's the whole "I sent two boats and a helicopter" thing. You are that boat, or maybe the helicopter if you can get a flying mount. But you're also going to end up doing stuff that might seem inconsequential "in the grand scheme of things" but the moment you start thinking that something is beneath you, you've already stopped being a paladin.

As a paladin you have been given a glorious purpose by your deity and you have to find it. Not blessed with it, but given. It's a burden to bear, and one that will test your moral and physical strength. You may falter, you may even fail, but you will never accept that failure. You won't face down a dragon with no armour because you know that your deity is saving you a seat at the table. That's arrogance. But you do know that when you die, and you get asked "did you do everything you could?" you're going to have to tell the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Fuego Fish posted:

Generally speaking in a historical context, a paladin knows that deep down they are fundamentally bad

Instead, think about what your deity does (their domains, general attitude) and think logically about how to be nice about it. Of course you'll always offer aid when called upon, because you're representing your deity. You're answering a prayer on their behalf, it's the whole "I sent two boats and a helicopter" thing. You are that boat, or maybe the helicopter if you can get a flying mount. But you're also going to end up doing stuff that might seem inconsequential "in the grand scheme of things" but the moment you start thinking that something is beneath you, you've already stopped being a paladin.

As a paladin you have been given a glorious purpose by your deity and you have to find it. Not blessed with it, but given. It's a burden to bear, and one that will test your moral and physical strength. You may falter, you may even fail, but you will never accept that failure. You won't face down a dragon with no armour because you know that your deity is saving you a seat at the table. That's arrogance. But you do know that when you die, and you get asked "did you do everything you could?" you're going to have to tell the truth.

I’ve been on a “find my higher power” kick lately and this is not just good game advice, it touches on a lot of the personal moral questions I’ve made about myself lately. An excellent post; thank you!

• Locked thread