Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

the cape westwind dude will gently caress up a bunch of level 49 players wearing gear they haven't touched since brayflox

What’s the deal with Cape Westwind dude, anyway? Whenever I faced him, the rest of the party dogpiled him hard enough that I never really got a feel for his gimmicks (other than that they weren’t presenting me with much difficulty as ranged DPS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Amazing :allears:

I started the week before 2.3 hit so I didn't get to experience such calamity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

What’s the deal with Cape Westwind dude, anyway? Whenever I faced him, the rest of the party dogpiled him hard enough that I never really got a feel for his gimmicks (other than that they weren’t presenting me with much difficulty as ranged DPS).

He has a strong AoE attack that is hinted at dialogue instead of traditional markers and also adds.

Nowdays his gimmick is being the easiest leveling roulette you'll ever get.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Cape Westwind allows level 50, which is a galactic leap beyond the poo poo he was meant to fight (mostly level 49 people with poo poo Gear).

I wish SE made the same "mistake" with Aurum Vale.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you ever want a taste of these fights, get 7 friends together and run them at min ilevel sync.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I remember when Crystal Tower and Labyrinth of the Ancients were complete hell that was regular to wipe on multiple times

now it's complete hell in that it's miserably boring

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Now the raids just have like 5-10 people completely afk, and you can't kick them because a fight started, and then you can't kick them because there's a 47 hour 18 minute loot timer, and then you can't kick them because the next fight started.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you ever want a taste of these fights, get 7 friends together and run them at min ilevel sync.

See also: Thordan Normal

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

See also: Thordan Normal

Really? I did that at HW launch and don’t remember it being too complicated.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Really? I did that at HW launch and don’t remember it being too complicated.

Yeah, it wasn't too bad.

Nidhogg at launch though...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's a shame because I think Rhitahtyn has a neat design and has a more interesting hook than his fellow tribunes, but Westwind is such a huge sack of nothing that he kind of fades into obsolescence immediately as you rush along past him into more interesting content.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thordan hard was a streamroller when I did it, a few days after Heavensward came out. It was big and flashy and a nice ending, but certainly not difficult compared to half of the dungeon final bosses.

Nidhogg hard took me multiple groups over a few hours.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Reiterpallasch posted:

the cape westwind dude will gently caress up a bunch of level 49 players wearing gear they haven't touched since brayflox

How do you lose to Rhitatyn? :stare:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Thordan hard was a streamroller when I did it, a few days after Heavensward came out. It was big and flashy and a nice ending, but certainly not difficult compared to half of the dungeon final bosses.

I did Final Steps of Faith exactly once. Somehow I managed to not die and clear in one try.

I have never touched it again, because I never want to stain that attempt.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

What's there to figure out, aside from "kill the bits" and "don't stand in the bad"?

Unless maybe there was a time when pubbies were actually in danger of letting Ultima go off at the end.

Dude it's been four years. I can't remember what went wrong, and the only reason I remember the black mage part is because the guy came back to me in tells later because someone bitched him out to his FC leader and he thought it was me.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

As a fresh 60 three days into the expansion I tried tanking both of the brothers in Thordaddy.

Turns out double bladedance can kill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vitamean posted:

Dude it's been four years. I can't remember what went wrong, and the only reason I remember the black mage part is because the guy came back to me in tells later because someone bitched him out to his FC leader and he thought it was me.

As a fresh 60 three days into the expansion I tried tanking both of the brothers in Thordaddy.

Turns out double bladedance can kill.

I was solo tanking that all the time. Seemed like the right time for holmgang.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

shockingly, raidwide damage which is trivial to a character wearing level 130 synced gear is actually kind of dangerous to a character wearing level 33 gear, especially when the fight lasts more than 20 seconds

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cape Westwind (Ultimate)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It is a bit of a shame that the initial lineup of Bad Dudes basically just left the stage at the end of 2.0. Well, besides Nero.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Saint Freak posted:

Now the raids just have like 5-10 people completely afk, and you can't kick them because a fight started, and then you can't kick them because there's a 47 hour 18 minute loot timer, and then you can't kick them because the next fight started.
In one of my recent Rabanastre runs, group decided to kick afkers and we waited until the end of the loot timer doing emotes and babbling, good times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I did Final Steps of Faith exactly once. Somehow I managed to not die and clear in one try.

I have never touched it again, because I never want to stain that attempt.
I was getting it in the roulette all the time. Now I mostly get royal menagerie. I guess it's time to stop queueing for trial roulette.

Also, is Nidhogg first trial with the stacking mechanic?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

shockingly, raidwide damage which is trivial to a character wearing level 130 synced gear is actually kind of dangerous to a character wearing level 33 gear, especially when the fight lasts more than 20 seconds

I’ve told the story before, but the first time I did the trial I was level 49 and in a group of other newbies. We wiped 5 times. That missile attack actually does a ton of damage to a barely-geared group and can wipe a raid if they’re not dodging it. You’d just never know it because the odds of getting a group like that are astronomical and I’m not sure how I managed it

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Argas posted:

It is a bit of a shame that the initial lineup of Bad Dudes basically just left the stage at the end of 2.0. Well, besides Nero.

Less left and more had an untimely run in with the resident god killer except Nero, he just peaced out.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Dwesa posted:

In one of my recent Rabanastre runs, group decided to kick afkers and we waited until the end of the loot timer doing emotes and babbling, good times.

I was getting it in the roulette all the time. Now I mostly get royal menagerie. I guess it's time to stop queueing for trial roulette.

Also, is Nidhogg first trial with the stacking mechanic?

No but you would think it is based on how people loving scatter when that Akh Morn marker comes out. :shepicide:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ibblebibble posted:

Cape Westwind (Ultimate)

No lie, a new trial pitting you against Rhitahtyn, Livia, Nero and Gaius all at once would be rad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't think Thordan is hard or complex, just that you get the feel for how the fight is supposed to go at min ilevel. I'm not rushing to do it again, but I did it once and it was a fun experience.

The Final Steps of Faith took me many tries. Even now when I get it in Trial roulette, there's usually a good chance of someone loving it up. Last time it was, as you would expect, someone had never seen a stack marker before. So they run off and get obliterated by Ahk Morn. Then, since the rest weren't stacked for whatever reason, Nidhogg just proceeded to annihilate 3 more dudes or however many he tosses out in the first one.

I feel like I was just in a really bad group though, because the next day's trial roulette was Shinryu and that went nearly flawlessly. And Shinryu was also a pubbie smasher at launch. It's surprising how black and white trial roulette can feel. If it's Ifrit or Shiva, I know I can fall asleep. If it's Lakshmi or Shinryu or Nidhogg, I gotta start praying.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Argas posted:

On the other hand, having the antagonists you defeat actually be defeated is awesome and something that some JRPG's really should have learned to do (looking at you Xenoblade Chronicles 2.)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So back in the 2.x days, a lot of the end game content, while luggable, was difficult. Stuff like Ramuh EX, Levi EX, and Titan EX caused a lot of trouble for random groups. Is the 70 content like that?

Not including savage which is what I assume people tossing around stuff like O4S means

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I remember when Crystal Tower and Labyrinth of the Ancients were complete hell that was regular to wipe on multiple times

now it's complete hell in that it's miserably boring

I dunno - it’s easy, flashy, pretty, and has great music and fun mechanics (like floating to avoid Xande’s Ancient Qaga). That goes a long way for something you’ll mostly be seeing in Roulettes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kashuno posted:

So back in the 2.x days, a lot of the end game content, while luggable, was difficult. Stuff like Ramuh EX, Levi EX, and Titan EX caused a lot of trouble for random groups. Is the 70 content like that?

Not including savage which is what I assume people tossing around stuff like O4S means

I think the trials are of comparable difficulty. Lakshmi and Susano aren't quite as hard as Odin or Ramuh EX, but I'd say they're more difficult to nail down than Ifrit or Shiva. The raids are a different story. What Coil was is more comparable to what Savage is now. And Second Coil Savage is a dark road that I have never traveled.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Susano and Lakshmi are easier than any of the 2.x extremes imo but Shinryu is plenty hard.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

No lie, a new trial pitting you against Rhitahtyn, Livia, Nero and Gaius all at once would be rad.

Yeah, I told my static that's the Ultimate I want. Easy set up with the Minstrel too. "Remember when you defended Eorzea? How'd that go again...."

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

If for no other reason I want Cape Westwind Savage for more Steel Reason.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Skaw posted:

Yeah, I told my static that's the Ultimate I want. Easy set up with the Minstrel too. "Remember when you defended Eorzea? How'd that go again...."

Instead of the magitek armor, Livia just has a Brute Justice for some reason

Give the Minstrel a break, it's been awhile

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EponymousMrYar posted:

On the other hand, having the antagonists you defeat actually be defeated is awesome and something that some JRPG's really should have learned to do (looking at you Xenoblade Chronicles 2.)

Oh definitely. I think with the initial 2.0 release they tried to make it as self-contained as possible (in case it didn't succeed), so while there's lots of loose ends lying around, the main plot more or less concludes and there's an ending for people to celebrate.

Coughing Hobo posted:

IIRC this was mentioned as one of the Extreme trials they've gotten requests for and have wanted to do themselves but they're basically just been busy with patch and expansion content. Maybe now that Unending Coil is done they can probably tackle that next.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
My favourite thing to do back in 2.X when doing main story roulette and getting Prae was to convince people not to kill the magitek bits and just disco dance dodge constantly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In addition to the other responses, it's also babby's first 8-player content. (Second, for the minority of players who'd been keeping up with their guildhests.)

Which means two tanks, and when this is right at launch, chances are pretty drat good that neither of them has ever contemplated the idea of themselves not being The Main Tank On The Boss.

What I'm getting at is, when you have two tanks squabbling over threat on the boss, and zero tanks picking up those little soldier add dudes because that's Not The Main Tank's Job and both of the tanks are Clearly The One Who Is Actually The Main Tank...

Well, in that situation, you discover that the soldier adds can actually murder their way through undergeared level 49 squishies (starting with the healers of course) pretty drat effectively. Even without accounting for the missiles.

You still see this to a lesser extreme (and less embarrassingly weak enemies) in 24-player content sometimes. Usually it's because the off-tanks are in "lalala I'm a DPS" mode, but sometimes it's because there are multiple "main tanks". Examples include iron giants on King Behemoth, those plant things with the ridiculous poison on Cerberus, or that big add on Scathach.

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 21, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I remember when you needed at least a minimum of 3,200 HP to barely survive Titan HM's Stomps

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Doing minimum ilvl ARR Extreme Primals is a hell of a trip. Seeing just how loving tiny numbers were back then is a mindfuck.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, what’re the good role actions for a SMN, a MCH, and a DRK?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I finally beat Stormblood.

Story was great, although I feel it fell short of the awesome that was patch 3.3. Particularly, Xenos felt hollow. I'd much rather have had Ala Migo be its own thing and the final fight with Xenos be a 1v1.

That said I've not enjoyed an MMO this much since Vanilla WoW.

Now that I'm 70, I want to check out what the gear treadmill is like before I make my choice to go into the madness that is an MMO endgame. What do I need to do at 70 were I to want to try whatever endgame raiding looks like in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Doing minimum ilvl ARR Extreme Primals is a hell of a trip. Seeing just how loving tiny numbers were back then is a mindfuck.

I'm going to drag my static kicking and screaming into min ilvl Titan EX someday.

It'll be great.