Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Madkal posted:

The weeks Batman moved the plot... incrementally, but King really nails down the interaction between Robin and Nightwing. Best Batman and Robin duo ever.

Yeah, the best part of Tom King's Batman is the interaction between the boys, which makes it suck that much more Tim had to be "dead" for most of his current run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shookies
Aug 17, 2003

A Magic Hand took my Freeze-Gun!!

BrianWilly posted:

Detective Comics #965 preview seems to indicate that Tim Drake absolutely did start as Robin now, and that post-Crisis events happened pretty much exactly as they did before.

If...y'know...that sort of thing matters to anyone. :allears:

Tim is back? Tim is BACK! Oh man, I will now buy my first DC comic in a few years!

It always made me mad that when Batman died in Final Crisis, Tim was the only character who was like "no way, I'm gonna find him some how". Superman, Dick, everyone was like "we didn't look for one second, even knowing all the possibilities in multiple universes, we just know he is gone."

So Tim does his detective job, runs Wayne Enterprises, deals with all sorts of stuff (Ra's, Damian, Batgirl) and everyone keeps making GBS threads on him. The first person that actually believes in him is Connor Kent (Adventure Comics #3 http://youarecomicscomicsblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/its-dogs-life.html)

Tim finally reunites with Bruce only for DC to give him the N52/"NEW LOBO" treatment a month or two later.

Also, Wally is the best Flash.

Shookies fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 9, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I always thought that Tim chasing after Batman as not being dead was a bad story.
Like the idea of him being on a crusade when everyone says he's wrong is fine.

But his result was "I searched over the world and I found this cave painting. HE MUST BE ALIVE!"
Instead of it prooving that Tim was the world's greatest detective, it felt like he had read the solution to a puzzle game. And was desparetly trying to convince everyone else how he was "just solving it with all the clues man. I'm not cheating."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The flashback issue in Superheavy is one of my favourite single issues of Batman I think. It fits into the broader Bloom story but it works great by itself.

What are other standout single issues like that? Batman Confidential #49 springs to mind as a great little story of what goes through Batman's head when he's on a case.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The flashback issue in Superheavy is one of my favourite single issues of Batman I think. It fits into the broader Bloom story but it works great by itself.

What are other standout single issues like that? Batman Confidential #49 springs to mind as a great little story of what goes through Batman's head when he's on a case.
The Batman and Robin #18 (new 52), which came right after Damian's death. No dialogue, whole story told through Tomasi's imagery and Gleason's pencils. It really sold me hard on Tomasi's skill as a writer.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shookies posted:

Tim is back? Tim is BACK! Oh man, I will now buy my first DC comic in a few years!

It always made me mad that when Batman died in Final Crisis, Tim was the only character who was like "no way, I'm gonna find him some how". Superman, Dick, everyone was like "we didn't look for one second, even knowing all the possibilities in multiple universes, we just know he is gone."

So Tim does his detective job, runs Wayne Enterprises, deals with all sorts of stuff (Ra's, Damian, Batgirl) and everyone keeps making GBS threads on him. The first person that actually believes in him is Connor Kent (Adventure Comics #3 http://youarecomicscomicsblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/its-dogs-life.html)

Tim finally reunites with Bruce only for DC to give him the N52/"NEW LOBO" treatment a month or two later.

Also, Wally is the best Flash.

Yeah, that whole era of the Batfamily was amazing.

I wanted to see where Snyder was going if not for the Nu52.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's dismissing Batman and Robin a bit.

Also, if Creature of the Night and the Batman Annual don't revive this thread this week, I dunno man.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wanted to see where Snyder was going if not for the Nu52.
DC shpuld capitalize on the Marvelization of the DCEU and release an Elseworlds series that just writes out what the original grim films would be like.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FilthyImp posted:

DC shpuld capitalize on the Marvelization of the DCEU and release an Elseworlds series that just writes out what the original grim films would be like.

I meant Scott Snyder after Gates of Gotham, with Cass possibly coming back to Gotham and maybe getting together with Tim, among other things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Creature of the Night was super good. Can't wait for more.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tom King really swings for the Eisners when he writes for a Batman Annual. I really love his Batman/Catwoman romance. The best before this was probably Hush.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Outside of the emphasis on the Bruce-Selina romance, other parts of King's run have reminded me of Jeph Loeb as well, which is weird because I feel like Loeb's overrated as a Batman writer and is best enjoyed as "Intro to Batman" or as dumb fun with a top-notch artist, but in a way that's hard to explain I feel like Tom King's run has been a better executed version of what Loeb tries to do. King seems to have a lot of the same sensibilities, and maybe even some of the same tics, such as the whole "all your favorites" style (particularly in The War of Jokes & Riddles). While I haven't loved every part of King's run, I feel like his storytelling is good (here and elsewhere) and he delivers on new character insights or emotional beats often enough that I feel like I'm getting a fresh take on the character, rather than a highlight reel of older Batman stories.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think King's best strength so far has been his presentation. I don't think the major storylines have really stuck with me as far as characterization or interesting stories go, but I vividly remember things like that issue of Bane and Batman's pasts mirroring one another, or the Rooftops issues.

Which, I suppose for a medium that's half visuals, that is pretty important to have. I do think his best issues though are the annuals, and those one to two issue stories like the Swamp-Thing issue.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVTKEc-mu8

So this is a thing. :allears:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

What. The. gently caress.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

This is almost too good of an idea for DC to come up with.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

During the recent DC trade sale on Comixology I tried to grab everything that I thought was tied up in the Grant Morrison Batman run, and I'm now trying to figure out the best reading order, given that I have all this in trades and I'm not that interested in trying to assemble an issue-by-issue reading order. If I read everything I bought in this order:

Batman and Son
The Resurrection of Ra’s Al Ghul
Batman RIP
Final Crisis
Batman and Robin Vol. 1
Batman and Robin Vol. 2
Batman and Robin Vol. 3
Time and the Batman
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman Incorporated Vol. 1
Batman Inc: Leviathan Strikes!
Batman Incorporated (New 52) Vol. 1
Batman Incorporated (New 52) Vol. 2

Will that be good enough? I recognize it probably isn't perfect, but I'd prefer to avoid buying anything else if at all possible.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Does that first trade cover the Club of Heroes stuff?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Deluxe version of Batman and Son includes all the early Black Glove stuff.

Dunbar posted:

Batman and Robin Vol. 1
Time and the Batman
Batman and Robin Vol. 2
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin Vol. 3

That's how I'd read it in trades (with the stuff before and after unchanged). There are some Final Crisis issues at the end of RIP that you can probably skip too, since they're included in the Final Crisis trade and make a bit more sense there.

Connellingus posted:

While I haven't loved every part of King's run, I feel like his storytelling is good (here and elsewhere) and he delivers on new character insights or emotional beats often enough that I feel like I'm getting a fresh take on the character, rather than a highlight reel of older Batman stories.
Yeah. From what I've seen (I'm behind since I read in trade mostly) King's interpretation of the character has a few more emotional layers than previous versions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

My friend and I are both of the same mind; good. It's kooky and dumb looking fun and it's nice to have more silly batman stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man

Remember when it looked like White Knight was going to be about something?

Even if I think "Batman is bad, actually" is a boring bad take it would have been better than that book's weird pivot from being about accountability and police brutality to whatever the ever loving gently caress is going on

Great art, though!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sean Murphy can draw like a beast but he's a known chowderhead. There's your explanation.

SMP
May 5, 2009

King is on a loving tear right now. During The War of Jokes and Riddles I was about drop the book, but the ending paid off and everything since then has been so good. Today's issue was pretty great. King does a great Superman / Batman relationship. Give him every series.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Yeah, this issue reminded me of, but was far superior to, Jeph Loeb's Batman/Superman issues where they're always thinking the same thing from opposite views in their narrations.

I laughed really hard at *awkward pause*"...Oh, hi, I'm Lois, you must be Catwoman"

Double date should be fun next time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/940264620002070529

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I have to say, King's Batman is a lot better when he isn't trying so hard to be overly philosophical and deep as a shallow puddle. He's good at these characters, but his plots are just ok, which a lot of writers suffer from these days.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I caught up on King Batman, and War of Jokes and Riddles is probs a top 3 Batman story to me, behind R.I.P. and Zero Year. That was a loving incredible arc - the Kite Man interludes especially, but gently caress that loving dinner issue was so goddamn good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I caught up on King Batman, and War of Jokes and Riddles is probs a top 3 Batman story to me, behind R.I.P. and Zero Year. That was a loving incredible arc - the Kite Man interludes especially, but gently caress that loving dinner issue was so goddamn good.

War of joke and riddles was a comic that shouldn't have worked but King's outside the box style really made it special.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Madkal posted:

War of joke and riddles was a comic that shouldn't have worked but King's outside the box style really made it special.

I'm still sort of split over the ending, but with time I've come to accept that its meant to reflect a green, unsure Batman, and isn't meant to reflect that Joker and Batman are loving dark mirrors or whatever the gently caress - Joker saved him because its funny dark irony that he did so and he needs Batman to exist, not because he's the only one who truly understands Batman or whatever.

Also the fact that the entire framing story is itself a confessional makes it land.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And I love the story more because of Catwoman's comment in the latest issue. These last two issues of Batman are a must read for anyone that's a fan of the Superman/Batman dynamic.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't believe how good Batman has been. drat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I kinda liked Gotham Girl and all that, but I can't recall a comic improving as much as this has after Jokes and Riddles.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's because Catwoman is actually the main character now.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Tom King, like most comic writers, is really good at writing the characters but his plots are hit or miss. I think the stuff he usually does well just doesn't work for Batman, so he's kind of going into more "let's throw Batman at silly poo poo and see what happens" and that's a better approach.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Detective Comics is good, definitely, but I feel REAL loving UNCOMFORTABLE they had to bring in Zatanna for a story dealing with Batman's memories having been wiped. I don't need reminders or callbacks to Identity Crisis, thanks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Detective Comics is good, definitely, but I feel REAL loving UNCOMFORTABLE they had to bring in Zatanna for a story dealing with Batman's memories having been wiped. I don't need reminders or callbacks to Identity Crisis, thanks.

What issue did that? Because if there was anything to erase from continunity.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

What issue did that? Because if there was anything to erase from continunity.

It was the Zatanna story where Batman gets the orb thing. The entire story hinges on Bruce having been told information that he then got his mind wiped for knowing as Zatanna just sort of looked on and shrugged.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't remember the story exactly, but I'm not sure Tynion was making a tribute to that old Dr. Light stuff.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, I'm pretty sure JTIV didn't, but that's the association that happens as a matter of course if you have a story based around Batman's memories being removed, and Zatanna is directly involved in the memory-removing (even if she doesn't actually do anything specifically, she looks on as her dad wipes teen Bruce's memories and comes to accept that as the cost of maintaining a secret). That's the first thing you jump to. That's how utterly ruinous IC is, and especially when you have a bunch of different elements of IC happen all at once, it immediately calls to mind IC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Quick question from a non-comic goon. I recently saw an advertisement for "The Legend of Batman Collection" by Eaglemoss. Like a bi weekly release of Batman Graphic Novels. For someone with no background in comics or Batman, is it going to be a good way to get into the series?

• Locked thread