Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I have not seen a single person aside from Hastings write Gwenpool well so I'm pretty sure us fans of her are SoL.

That said, 2 years worth of comics was a pretty good run for what started as a joke based off a variant cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I thought Nick Kocher did a decent job with her in the Rocket Raccoon & Groot Civil War 2 "tie in" arc, where they both get the gently caress out of NYC and chase down the same bounty.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm sure they'll announce a new Gwenpool book late next year with a marketing push.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

howe_sam posted:

I thought Nick Kocher did a decent job with her in the Rocket Raccoon & Groot Civil War 2 "tie in" arc, where they both get the gently caress out of NYC and chase down the same bounty.

I didn't like that arc cuz she was written like deadpool and by the end he had her stripped down to her bra and panties, which not only is that kind of objectification not even what that character is about, but this was at a time when we weren't even sure she was out of high school

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pureauthor posted:

I have not seen a single person aside from Hastings write Gwenpool well so I'm pretty sure us fans of her are SoL.

That said, 2 years worth of comics was a pretty good run for what started as a joke based off a variant cover.

I feel like someone like Zdarsky or North could write her well, but yea, it would take a specific writing skill to make her work.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean I'm not sure how true any of that is?

Rebirth is still primarily the exact same editors and writers and artists of similar tone, the thing they seemed to understand is that a lot of the things they changed/erased in New 52 were things people liked from 20+ years ago, so Lois and Clark are married again and Black Canary and Green Arrow are kissing and Batman is Tim Drake's foster daddy again and Wally West exists and um... probably other things I'm forgetting? It was a deliberate re-centering of a bunch of character relationships that were popular from previous decades in an attempt to appeal to lapsed (older) fans and as was already mentioned, it was a double or tripling down on abandoning new or unusual characters and trying to ensure that Batman is on at least twenty covers a month and Superman is on at least ten and then I guess Wonder Woman can be on some comics too.

People sure do seem to love the poo poo out of Batman comics that are chockablock with torture and murder and people getting their faces ripped off and making tapestries out of living humans and horses sewed together and genocidal dank dimension alternate version of Batman flaying and torturing their fave heroes to death and etc. not to mention the consensus best superhero book of the year/decade/forever is all about a depressed guy committing suicide repeatedly after watching an old lady get decapitated by a fascist overlord and then I guess like blankly having bondage sex with his wife that might be mind controlled as he goes to commit suicide again.

I think the schism here is that people on the internet (sometimes) complain about DARK and GRITTY and people generally hated Secret Empire and Doomsday Clock and those things are gritty best-sellers that no one liked, which is somehow different than dark and gritty best-sellers people actually liked, and if you ignore actual sales and just go based on what a subset of people on the internet say, they want more books like Wasp and Moon Girl and whatever! Except no one actually buys these books (except I guess the hypothetical lighter DC Rebirth material over on some book I must not be aware of, Super Sons maybe? The book where the two little boys are going to have to fight their murderous adult selves trying to murder their parents or whatever?) and they do buy the books no one likes, even if it's in lower physical quantities than they did five years ago.

I never really understand what markets or demographics or 'groups' people talk about outside of massive projection of their friend (or enemy) group.

What he said.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm kinda down about Jane dying. I'm sure she'll come back eventually, but I really liked her as Thor.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Edge & Christian posted:

gritty best-sellers that no one liked

I unironically enjoyed Secret Empire, if only because we got to see a canon retcon fall apart under its own logic. It took time for it to fully demonstrate itself, but my God it was amazing when all the cards were revealed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I really hope future issues of two in one are funny if theyre gonna be using zdarksy cuz him doing a serious book is a huge waste

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Twitter seems up in arms about America getting cancelled but, like, wasn't it really bad?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Little Mac posted:

Twitter seems up in arms about America getting cancelled but, like, wasn't it really bad?

Every issue I’ve glanced has terrible art and writing so yeah.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Eh, much like tnc gabby just needed time to figure out how to write comics. Its not great but its been getting better over the last few issues. Still kinda ridiculous tho

So david walker pointed out that since cage is cancelled, hes no longer working for marvel. So does that leave tnc the only black writer at marvel? Am i forgetting someone?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Starlin just had a major falling out with Marvel again and walked. So no trilogy of space stuff with Alan Davis.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

site posted:

I didn't like that arc cuz she was written like deadpool and by the end he had her stripped down to her bra and panties, which not only is that kind of objectification not even what that character is about, but this was at a time when we weren't even sure she was out of high school

Yeah, Gwen in that tie-in really wasn't handled well. It was really annoying how she was reduced to doing "lol4thwalljoke" pretty much every other line. Plus, by that point I think Gwein her own comic was toning down being so gung-ho about violence and causing so much property damage so this tie-in didn't really mesh well with me.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Yeah I read about Starlin last night. Apparently Breevort green lit his last OGN and then green lit this prelude to infinity stones which Starlin said stole all kinds of story beats from him and when confronted Brevoort kept changing his story. It sounds like the kind of behind the scenes stuff we already suspected.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
And people doubted me when i guessed starlin was gonna be mad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stealing stuff is rude. Brevoort is a habitual liar, at least when it comes to interacting with the fans, so it's going to be hard to find out what actually happened.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

So david walker pointed out that since cage is cancelled, hes no longer working for marvel.

https://twitter.com/DavidWalker1201/status/943541356005224448

Doesn't sound like he's long for comics at all. I would not blame him after his luck.

Sweet guy though.

https://twitter.com/DavidWalker1201/status/943542779367473153

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with comics remain that they are too expensive. The price may be justified by the cost, but 5$ for 15 minutes of entertainment is a losing proposition.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Marvel 2 in 1 was great, they must be getting ready to give Zdarsky Fantastic Four proper somewhere down the line.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Shawn posted:

Yeah I read about Starlin last night. Apparently Breevort green lit his last OGN and then green lit this prelude to infinity stones which Starlin said stole all kinds of story beats from him and when confronted Brevoort kept changing his story. It sounds like the kind of behind the scenes stuff we already suspected.

Starlin said that the story in question was for the ongoing Thanos series, not Infinity Countdown. Though it's possible he was just confused on that detail.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

The problem with comics remain that they are too expensive. The price may be justified by the cost, but 5$ for 15 minutes of entertainment is a losing proposition.

Unfortunately printing costs are incredibly high. Thankfully the entire industry moved to the digital market, with appropriately cheaper prices, over a decade ago when it became obvious that it was the wave of the future.

Wait, no.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Wait, I just realized they named a series Infinity Countdown non-ironically. Déjà vu.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC still manages to sell for $1 less than Marvel though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

DC still manages to sell for $1 less than Marvel though.

Yeah but they only do that with books they double-ship. Although now that I think about it, I believe Marvel still double ships some books at the $3.99 price...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

pubic works project posted:

Yeah but they only do that with books they double-ship. Although now that I think about it, I believe Marvel still double ships some books at the $3.99 price...

The main X-Men titles are double shipped at $3.99.

I'm less annoyed by that, and more annoyed by: "It's a landmark issue number, time to have 5 back up stories as an excuse to charge 5.99 - 9.99" which I'm starting to find is the real reason for Marvel Legacy.

Or how every first issue is $4.99 now. There's a random issue of Avengers in March that's not a landmark number or anything, that's priced at $4.99 for no reason.

I appreciate that DC is pricing the Dark Matter comics at $2.99 by contrast.

Roth fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 20, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I’m visiting my parents for Christmas and dropped into the comic shop I used to go to down here, my first time in a brick and mortar shop in awhile. drat people weren’t kidding when they said those Marvel lenticular covers didn’t work right. They look like poo poo and the store had tons of them around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I’m visiting my parents for Christmas and dropped into the comic shop I used to go to down here, my first time in a brick and mortar shop in awhile. drat people weren’t kidding when they said those Marvel lenticular covers didn’t work right. They look like poo poo and the store had tons of them around.

Wouldn't have happened to be in NE Indiana? I have a massive display of those drat things at half price.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lurdiak posted:

Unfortunately printing costs are incredibly high. Thankfully the entire industry moved to the digital market, with appropriately cheaper prices, over a decade ago when it became obvious that it was the wave of the future.

Wait, no.

I get what you're putting down, but are printing costs a big part of it? I had thought so too, but Marvel has their True Believers reprints of classic issues selling for a dollar apiece. (I picked up a bunch of Giant Sized X-Mens and X-Factors as souvenirs for my students last time I was back home.) And you know none of that money is going as royalties to the creative team, so I assumed printing would be maybe 70 cents or so of the cost.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah, they need to bite the bullet and make a bunch of the more niche books dollar specials online, or a page-a-day webcomic, or something other than paper. Something like Angela: Queen of Hel would've blown up as a web series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apparently Marvel yanked a Trump joke outta Two-in-One after previews.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently Marvel yanked a Trump joke outta Two-in-One after previews.

That was a bridge too far? Jesus, grow a spine, Marvel.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Barry Convex posted:

Starlin said that the story in question was for the ongoing Thanos series, not Infinity Countdown. Though it's possible he was just confused on that detail.

That’s probably me misreading it. That’s even worse. Cribbing for an event to tie in with the movie is at least more important to the company. The OGN by the creator probably should have taken priority over the monthly series.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Maybe Marvel is scared of ~the Trump curse~

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If by the trump curse you mean ike firing them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Wouldn't have happened to be in NE Indiana? I have a massive display of those drat things at half price.

Buddy, if I came to your shop, I’d loudly exclaim “HEY IS RHYNO HERE? I’M LOOKING FOR RHYNO!”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Buddy, if I came to your shop, I’d loudly exclaim “HEY IS RHYNO HERE? I’M LOOKING FOR RHYNO!”

MAYBE YOU'RE SHY IN PERSON

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rochallor posted:

I get what you're putting down, but are printing costs a big part of it? I had thought so too, but Marvel has their True Believers reprints of classic issues selling for a dollar apiece. (I picked up a bunch of Giant Sized X-Mens and X-Factors as souvenirs for my students last time I was back home.) And you know none of that money is going as royalties to the creative team, so I assumed printing would be maybe 70 cents or so of the cost.
I mean, those 99 cent books are published as loss leaders/essentially written off as 'advertising' to get people to buy other books that people will pay real money for.

There's some sort of (probably trivial to overall cost) royalty system in place, but the other big thing is that they're certainly not paying anyone to produce new material for those 99 cent books, which is probably honestly the biggest cost factor for any comic these days.

Based on some of the self-reported numbers for people's page rates, a baseline comic book at Marvel or DC comic would cost like $500 a page between script/pencils/inks/colors/letters, and that's assuming sort of 'average' page rates. When just to get the book out usually costs over $10,000 on top of like baked-in printing/editing/office/shipping/whatever I do understand why comics are "expensive", the difference between DC and Marvel I don't fully understand though it might explain why DC has spent a lot of time in the past five years experimenting with letting artists write and/or ink and color their own stuff or etc. because in general the hyphenated people generally cost less than two+ entirely separate people, from what I understand?

I have never actually hired people to create comics so if I am full of poo poo please someone correct me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cabbit posted:

That was a bridge too far? Jesus, grow a spine, Marvel.

Marvel has been terrified of making political statements since Joe Quesada became EIC. I doubt being bought by Disney improved that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel has been terrified of making political statements since Joe Quesada became EIC. I doubt being bought by Disney improved that.

Except for that time they teamed up with the MIC

• Locked thread