Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Also ambushes seem to be more common than I remember. I just rolled up on a random Nemesis quest where one of my guys was dueling an enemy captain. I start the quest, they yell at each other, and then another enemy captain ambushes the duel. Then another. I summon my bodyguard to help out, and kill two of the newcomers. And there's a THIRD ambush.

I love this game but what the hell is going on?

I don't know what you are complaining about... saves time chasing them down. It would be so much easier if they'd just line up and run into my sword, instead of making me chase them all over Mordor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Have you guys noticed any peculiarities in the Nemesis system since the Gravewalker/Outlaw patch was added?

The Nemesis system has been hosed up in all sorts of interesting ways for me since the expansions. I started an Outlaw tribe mission once were the Captain I faced was not part of the Outlaw tribe, was about 20 levels below what he should have been, was not Epic or Legendary, had no other orcs supporting him, and (this is the really interesting part) was already recruited to my side. This was not some Captain I had previously dominated in the region. I'm sure he was brand new, but somehow he was already mine. I didn't even notice that he had the blue markers of an ally until I beat on him for a bit. Yesterday I dominated a captain during one of the Outlaw missions and he just disappeared instead of showing up on the army screen. Those are just 2 of the really memorable things that happened. There seem to be all sorts of odd bugs where captains you dominate show up as undominated later and captains popping into existence with intel already collected on them. I think some instances of the second are actually existing captains getting re-rolled, but it's hard to be sure. They all start to look alike after a while.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is it just me, or is Minas Ithil/Morgul the only zone where captains defy death? I had them constantly coming back in the early game and I'm on my third playthrough now and have yet to see a single captain defy death in any other zone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does anyone know what happens if you buy one of the DLC tribe boxes without owning the relevant DLC?

E:. Also if I didn't buy the season passes are the DLCs worthwhile?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is it just me, or is Minas Ithil/Morgul the only zone where captains defy death? I had them constantly coming back in the early game and I'm on my third playthrough now and have yet to see a single captain defy death in any other zone.

Gotta just be chance unless there's something weird in your difficulty setting or something. Playing on Nemesis, I've had captains defy death pretty evenly between zones. Not super often, but not something I'd consider rare. Then again, I shame or recruit something like 80% of the captains I defeat, so not a huge sample size.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
any orc with the Tank subclass can (and frequently will) defy death

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Minus Morgal orcs either have a specific flag or almost universally have the flag to be more likely to survive a death

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ravenfood posted:

Does anyone know what happens if you buy one of the DLC tribe boxes without owning the relevant DLC?

E:. Also if I didn't buy the season passes are the DLCs worthwhile?

From what I've heard, the new Tribes are cool, and Outlaw has some really nice bonuses (IIRC from an LP, one of them is that you and your allies have a flat 25% chance per hit to inflict burn/curse/poison).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The tribes are mostly flavour. Their sets are interesting but not worth the price by themselves, imo.

Outlaw tribe should have been much hammer to contrast with the grim dark slaughter orcs.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I've seen them defy death elsewhere, though not often really. I don't generally hang around long enough to get killed by them too often though, which I assume ups the chances.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Oh man that was hilarious. I found a captain, Horza Fire-Killer, who is intimidated and will flee in terror from Muzu the Wall.

Muzu the Wall is the warchief Horza was supposed to be guarding.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Sauron really needs to shake up his HR department.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deuce posted:

Shelob is the daughter of some kind of shapeshifter spider god. I don't think her taking a humanoid form is ever mentioned in the books but her changing form isn't entirely out of left field.

I like to think the sexy elf form is even designed to look vaguely like Talion's wife, it's the only thing that explains Talion being such an utter dipshit regarding the sexy spider.

Halman posted:

As I understand it she's one of the mai-whatevers and they can put on fake bodies or some poo poo like that so there's no reason she couldn't be a sexy elf but she was only a big rear end spider in the events of the books.

Shelob's mom Ungoliant was probably not a Maiar. She probably predates existence just like them, though. Also she nearly killed Satan because she wanted to eat the jewels in his hat and he refused, citing that she'd already eaten like half of the important bits of Heaven and also that he liked his hat.

Ungoliant could maybe shapeshift into a cloud of darkness, although again, she's a spooky-rear end primordial darkness monster, so. Shelob, as far as the books told us, was just a big goddamn spider with magic darkness webs, although maybe a sentient one - Gollum does in fact strike a successful bargain with her ("don't eat my scrawny rear end and your investment will be rewarded by the various morons I trick in here"). But yeah, as liberties with the source material go, her having bonus superpowers isn't totally ludicrous, mommy was one of the scariest and oldest entities in the setting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

mommy was one of the scariest and oldest entities in the setting.

Someone was still thirsty enough to make a baby with her though

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Someone was still thirsty enough to make a baby with her though

Well, those were giant spiders as well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I picked up the game in the sale.

My first Warchief kill in Act 2, the dude I'd sent infiltrating stabbed him (and killed him before I even got to the brawl)... then promptly betrayed me because apparently I'd killed his blood brother at some point.

Too bad for him he'd nearly died in the warchief fight. :v: I kinda hope he comes back with hooks or chains or something grafted to his disarmed torso.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
I am really disappointed in the difficulty levels in this game.

I played gravewalker from fresh all the way up to the arena fight. I beat the first boss, but just decided gently caress-it for the second and dropped to nemesis. 45 minutes of stealth cheesing the last missions boss to take off 1/50 of his health each time, then get hit for 90% hp (max life gear to not be one-shotted) was just stupid and it wasn't getting any better. I am fine with dying in max 2 hits, but why make every enemy take a full minute of beating on to kill?

So I went down to nemesis difficulty and now the game lost enough difficulty to be a cake-walk, effectively removing a ton of the fun. Why can't there be a gravewalker difficulty without every enemy being "random uruk the damage sponge"?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

twig1919 posted:

I am really disappointed in the difficulty levels in this game.

I played gravewalker from fresh all the way up to the arena fight. I beat the first boss, but just decided gently caress-it for the second and dropped to nemesis. 45 minutes of stealth cheesing the last missions boss to take off 1/50 of his health each time, then get hit for 90% hp (max life gear to not be one-shotted) was just stupid and it wasn't getting any better. I am fine with dying in max 2 hits, but why make every enemy take a full minute of beating on to kill?

So I went down to nemesis difficulty and now the game lost enough difficulty to be a cake-walk, effectively removing a ton of the fun. Why can't there be a gravewalker difficulty without every enemy being "random uruk the damage sponge"?

At some point, how else do you make it harder? If everyone can flawlessly never get hit and execute sick combos, what do you do? They've tweaked all other knobs they have, but damage and HP are the main ones. Aside from them making Shadow of Mordor 3, I don't see another way they can make it more difficult.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Skandranon posted:

At some point, how else do you make it harder? If everyone can flawlessly never get hit and execute sick combos, what do you do? They've tweaked all other knobs they have, but damage and HP are the main ones. Aside from them making Shadow of Mordor 3, I don't see another way they can make it more difficult.

Well, there is the stealth, faster progressing nemesis system, faster attacks, more attacks, and the various other changes that I would like to play with. But when it literally takes 45 minutes to cheese a single warlord because it has so much HP, don't you think that is just absurd? When my attacks do so little damage that the fastest/only way to fight the warlord is to cheese stealth attacks over and over?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

twig1919 posted:

Well, there is the stealth, faster progressing nemesis system, faster attacks, more attacks, and the various other changes that I would like to play with. But when it literally takes 45 minutes to cheese a single warlord because it has so much HP, don't you think that is just absurd? When my attacks do so little damage that the fastest/only way to fight the warlord is to cheese stealth attacks over and over?

Have not had this happen to me yet, but that does sound crazy... did you try branding mooks or using the Nemesis system? Orcs don't have nearly the same damage resistances to each other that they do to Talion. I suppose a more granular difficulty system would be even better, but maybe that's coming.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Is there a setting for Talion getting 1 or 2 shot, grunts getting 1 or 2 shot, captains getting 3 or 4, and warchiefs around 10 hits in to kill them?

Sword sponge enemies make Talion feel like he is swinging a whiffle bat.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Maybe if he stopped using a large weapon one handed and used both hands like he does during executions, he would stop giving orcs shaving nicks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

By the way, has anyone found a use for Deadly Spectre's?
I couldn't think of any situation in which they'd be useful, especially considering the long-rear end time that it takes to deploy them.

I think it's the only useless ability in the whole skill tree.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Jack Trades posted:

By the way, has anyone found a use for Deadly Spectre's?
I couldn't think of any situation in which they'd be useful, especially considering the long-rear end time that it takes to deploy them.

I think it's the only useless ability in the whole skill tree.

If a captain is underneath inside an alcove, sometimes you can spam it until they die from stealth attacks. The captain and his goons will happily stay rooted to the spot looking like idiots while a ghost perforates his back eight or nine times.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Have not had this happen to me yet, but that does sound crazy... did you try branding mooks or using the Nemesis system? Orcs don't have nearly the same damage resistances to each other that they do to Talion. I suppose a more granular difficulty system would be even better, but maybe that's coming.

The issue is that this is still act 1, before I got access to any skills/options to do any of this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

twig1919 posted:

The issue is that this is still act 1, before I got access to any skills/options to do any of this.

Act 1 is designed to kill you a lot. There's a reason why the very first map is seeded with something like a 33%/66% split of captains that are either lvl 1-5 or lvl 10-15.
You're either going to die a whole lot there, like you're supposed to, or you smarten up and just run away from every captain that's in the 10-15 range.

Also, I don't know who the default last boss of the Arena is, I only played against my own SoM Nemesis, but that's pretty much the only stumbling block on Gravewalker in the whole game.
Still if you take the right skills and make sure to collect all the skill points available to you at that point, then it's really not too bad. You just have to use the grog barrels for some Balefire action and then isolate the captain so you can stun lock him with frost and whatever else you've got.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Act 1 is designed to kill you a lot. There's a reason why the very first map is seeded with something like a 33%/66% split of captains that are either lvl 1-5 or lvl 10-15.
You're either going to die a whole lot there, like you're supposed to, or you smarten up and just run away from every captain that's in the 10-15 range.

Also, I don't know who the default last boss of the Arena is, I only played against my own SoM Nemesis, but that's pretty much the only stumbling block on Gravewalker in the whole game.
Still if you take the right skills and make sure to collect all the skill points available to you at that point, then it's really not too bad. You just have to use the grog barrels for some Balefire action and then isolate the captain so you can stun lock him with frost and whatever else you've got.

Yes, but when that mandatory fights and arena fights are all lvl20 maybe I am just bad at the game.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So I found something interesting. Over in Cirith Ungol, I took out an outpost. But both during and after it was done, there was one particular spot in the middle of the outpost that kept spawning orcs. Like about 6-8 at a time every fifteen seconds or so. This led to just about a never ending brawl in the middle of the place. This included treasure orcs, so I was constantly getting high level gems from the ologs. Then of course I called my bodyguard.

So this clown starts raising the corpses of everyone that was getting killed, and himself wading in with his cursed club and sending bodies flying. This created an absolute clusterfuck, eventually the number of revenants growing in greater numbers than what kept spawning. After being in the middle of it for a while, the spawning eventually stopped... until I took two steps outside the spawn zone then it starts all over again. This is what it ends up looking like before I restart it.

You think that's a lot, look at the loving minimap. That's only half of the jerks I have walking around.

This is probably the most fun I've had with the game, for some strange reason. It feels like an even bigger fight than most sieges.

EDIT: One more for you. The horde standing over one poor unlucky fucker of an olog that spawned alone among them.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 1, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've seen that same thing in a few other places. It crops up in Assassins Creed in a few places as well, to equally ridiculous effect.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

I've seen that same thing in a few other places. It crops up in Assassins Creed in a few places as well, to equally ridiculous effect.

Probably cause the outpost doesn't have any 'buildings' for the orcs to spawn out of. (You'll see doors open and they'll run out of the pitch black texture of the doorway.)

But yeah. Necromancer captains are an absolute delight, and the main reason to do some carnan quests early.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I put 60 hours into this game and don't think I've ever had a Necromancer captain

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I will now be hunting for them exhaustively.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Woah, i didn't know the AI could raise corpses outside of the scripted missions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Necromancer captains are really neat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Necro captains enraged by undead are amazing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Necro captains enraged by undead are amazing.

That sounds incredible.
I bet that a Necromancer with a Gang and Eranged by Undead would be a killer combination for pit fights.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

That's really a new thing to you guys? I'm kind of surprised.

You need to do a few Carnan missions to get them to start appearing. My best guess is the point where you're first introduced to revenants. Like my boy above, you're generally looking for any 'cursed' captains that look pale and have the black cracked eyes. Amusingly in my last run I had one that was undead himself. The dead raising the dead.

And yeah, they'll repeatedly raise any bodies that aren't maimed or decapitated around them. Bring em along as a bodyguard and they'll even do that for overlord fights. Suddenly a pitched battle becomes a messy brawl.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
my first necro captain had the epithet "the gravewalker"

holy poo poo was he mad that i stole his name, apparently he was called that way before SoM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, 60+ hours of game time and I never saw a single Necromancer Captain outside of I think the one warlock dude from the storyline missions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I understand that loot crates are a hot topic of hatred right now but I think this game got a raw deal just on the very idea of them. Jim Sterling put this in his top ten shittiest games of 2017 and blamed it entirely on the crates. I've played almost 100 hours now mostly just loving around with the Nemesis system and have yet to open more than three crates and have never hired one of the crate orcs.

You don't need them, you find plenty of interesting captains in the wild constantly. Nemesis in this game feels light years beyond the first. But OMG CRATES gently caress THIS GAME FOREVER 3/10 on METACRITIC is really stupid.

• Locked thread