Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Where's Pod 042 right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
FINALLY WE CAN REALLY TALK ABOUT THE E SERIES.

It's baffling to me that something so crucial to the main plot--the introduction of the Type E units--is hidden away in a completely pedestrian-looking sidequest.

Imagine getting here WITHOUT doing the Amnesia/Red Hood sidequest. Which is perfectly reasonable, given that Drakenier vets still suffer from flashbacks about pink flowers and fish spawns. Imagine this revelation coming out of left field, with no solid foreshadowing in the main quest line.

One ignorable map blip is the entire difference between a total eleventh-hour asspull and a legit huge oh poo poo moment.

TROLLED BY CAVIA PLATINUM.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012
Ro-Shi and Ko-Shi

Taro Yoko

Nah, there's no meaning to anything the machines do.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gutter Owl posted:

It's baffling to me that something so crucial to the main plot--the introduction of the Type E units--is hidden away in a completely pedestrian-looking sidequest.

Imagine getting here WITHOUT doing the Amnesia/Red Hood sidequest. Which is perfectly reasonable, given that Drakenier vets still suffer from flashbacks about pink flowers and fish spawns. Imagine this revelation coming out of left field, with no solid foreshadowing in the main quest line.

One ignorable map blip is the entire difference between a total eleventh-hour asspull and a legit huge oh poo poo moment.

lol don't forget that the quest is in one of the many many floors of that building, guess who spent ten minutes looking for the questgiver

i would say though the quest was a huge bummer upon its resolution, then A2 discovers the tome that says "2's combat data type were sent to E units" and you're like "huh, 2B and E units use the same data?" and THEN she reveals 2Bs are 2Es and it's another big bummer all over again

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I order everyone itt to halt all logical thought and speech.

It's said that a good leader never gives instructions that they know won't be followed.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
2B spends that entire quest being annoyed and jealous over 9S going out of the way so much to help a pretty female Android, then just goes completely silent the second she reveals she's type E.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I just remembered. 9S is still floating around in some certain machine lifeforms, at the end of the first two endings. I'm starting to think that those bodies are no longer functioning, considering the revelation of 2B's actual job.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
~WHOA~

I somehow find that seriously awesome.

Is 2B the only "B" who is secretly an "E"? Because there were other "B" in the game, right?

The Ghost of Ember
Mar 21, 2009
One thing that's interesting is that there's no surprise or even denial of 2E from 9S, he knew exactly what was going on the whole time, which means he was storing information or memories of his previous iterations somewhere outside YorHa. Just so happens there's one big network that 9S hacks into regularly and he has shown to be able to sync his memories and consciousness through before.

Which leads me to speculate that the reason the Machine Lifeforms are so good at dunking on 9S is because he just left his entire memory from past iterations laying around the machine network and just hoped that the machine lifeforms wouldn't look at \\machine-network\Users$\Nines\Documents\Totally Legitimate Documents\ in any detail.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Oh hey, I can finally mention the thing. A2 mentions 2E/2B's job regarding 9S... but think about all the other androids that 9S works with. 2B is a no-nonsense soldier lady who orders him around and refuses to engage with his jokes and so on. And then there's... 153... the Commander... and O21. All of whom are no-nonsense soldier ladies who order him around and refuse to engage with his jokes etc. O21 in particular is a huge contrast from O6.

Seems like the higher-ups have 9S pegged. They've basically built a whole support team to keep him from getting any funny ideas. Plus 2B/2E to... handle things once they inevitably failed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly I think he just doesn't care that 2B was 2E, he's full on red-eyed banana sandwiches now

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Despite what each of them actually knew, and 2B and 21O's complete no nonsense attitude, there was still a lot of personal feelings and attachment between them too, especially considering stuff like the message left in 2B's flight unit.

9S possibly having known about it all for awhile really changes the context too of the intentional vagueness of wanting to "**** 2B", or how easily he transitions from crying to gleefully tearing apart the corrupted 2B units.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Here's something to think about.

By the time 2B was Logic Virus'd enough to be a member of the Legion, she could barely limp along.

Good ol' crazy Nines is most likely just as (if not more) corrupted than she was, but he is still fighting strong.

The rage of Hackerman will not be denied.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It took me way to long to figure out that 2B's name is, literally, not 2B.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

I liked the revelation about 2B/2E, though after everything else that happens in the tower, it lost some impact. It did finally explain what she meant in ending A when she said "it always end like this."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Gutter Owl posted:

To be honest I thought having it revealed here would have worked better anyway, and that sidequest just gave unneeded information super early. It kind of takes the bite out of it when you already know YoRHa doesn't trust its own units.

Also, that sidequest about the deserters makes way more sense to give to 2B, now that you know what her real job is.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
So did they ever explain what happened to 9S after he uploaded himself into a shitload of machines or is that just another plotline Yoko-san Sapporo'd out of existence?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

A2 WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR NECK!?

So I guess 9S just had to make one last bit of self-hacking and adjusted that FucksGiven counter to be locked at 0. Let's give Hackerman a hand! :downsrim:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

So did they ever explain what happened to 9S after he uploaded himself into a shitload of machines or is that just another plotline Yoko-san Sapporo'd out of existence?

downloaded himself back to a regular backup 9s body

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I really like the shot of 9S clenching the fist on the salvaged 2B arm, as a mirror to the shot of 2B clenching her fist after the first in-game 9S death.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Synthbuttrange posted:

downloaded himself back to a regular backup 9s body

Welp. Toss another entry onto the "YorHa was incompetent" pile.

"So the high-end scanner unit who has shown himself to be ridiculously vulnerable outside manipulation and corruption just emailed himself back to our server from a bunch of compromised machine lifeforms?"
"Yup!"
"Fair enough. Now tell the designers to get back to work on our sexy Nazi stormtrooper outfits, we have a mission to vaguely plan for."

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017
There's a RIDICULOUS amount of foreshadowing for this particular twist. Here's a non-exhaustive list of little hints here and there.

Hey look there's a 7E there that's real weird huh

2B being real mad that 9S lost his memories for some reason

An Elusive Request (aka 11B Botches Desertion)

YoRHA Betrayers (aka Stop Snooping Nines)

It always... ends like this...

The Wandering Couple

Amnesia

You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?

That one time the Commander spilled the beans for seemingly no reason

That one briefing from the Commander that A2 found in 2B's memories

They're mine! My memories, you hear me!?

Don't worry... I'm going to kill you now!

CesspoolofHatred fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 21, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So remember back at the end of route b when the commander just told 9S almost everything that was going on? I remember being quite surprised by that at the time, but once the revelation of what 2B really is, makes that conversation really messed up. As in the commander knows that the first person he would tell would be to 2B which would cause her to kill him once again.

Edit: Also an interesting theory brought up in the main game thread is that 9S hacked himself into being as close to a combat model as possible due to the fact that he keeps on dying, not knowing that all the combat skill in the world means jack poo poo if the person you trust most is designed to betray you should you stray out of line.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 21, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

So remember back at the end of route b when the commander just told 9S almost everything that was going on? I remember being quite surprised by that at the time, but once the revelation of what 2B really is, makes that conversation really messed up. As in the commander knows that the first person he would tell would be to 2B which would cause her to kill him once again.
Yep. 9S dodged a bullet there. He was very close to telling her.

Edit:
There is also that scene after that dumb boss in the desert. There is a recording of the Commander saying the following:

"Normally, you'd be called...[static]...but...[static]...calling you 2B for the time. Continue to observe the situation, and dispatch if necessary."

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 21, 2017

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017
Also this puts Nines's lust-bloodlust in a WHOLE new light, like holy heck

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Know Such Peace posted:

Yep. 9S dodged a bullet there. He was very close to telling her.
Remember: he learned it from the commander. Just imagine having to kill your coworkers and friends over and over again, only because your higher-up keeps telling them The Secret.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 21, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
And here we are. 9S is done falling down holes and just hit the bedrock. He's got absolutely nothing left. All the lies he was telling himself are gone, and only one universal truth remains: nothing matters.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

And here we are. 9S is done falling down holes and just hit the bedrock.
The top of a tower is the wrong place to say that.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It took me way to long to figure out that 2B's name is, literally, not 2B.

No, that's the other guy, Non Esse.

(And his good good buddy, Et Tu.)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Wipfmetz posted:

Remember: he learned it from the commander. Just imagine having to kill your coworkers and friends over and over again, only because your higher-up keeps telling them The Secret.

It's a fairly covert and labor-saving way to send a kill command. Tell the guy who blabs nonstop something that will get him stabbed, and you don't even have to log an order!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

megane posted:

Oh hey, I can finally mention the thing. A2 mentions 2E/2B's job regarding 9S... but think about all the other androids that 9S works with. 2B is a no-nonsense soldier lady who orders him around and refuses to engage with his jokes and so on. And then there's... 153... the Commander... and O21. All of whom are no-nonsense soldier ladies who order him around and refuse to engage with his jokes etc. O21 in particular is a huge contrast from O6.

Seems like the higher-ups have 9S pegged. They've basically built a whole support team to keep him from getting any funny ideas. Plus 2B/2E to... handle things once they inevitably failed.

His whole support team is no-nonsense and try not to get attached because they know he's gonna die again. Everyone probably got along great with 9S 1.0, he was the kid brother who was fun to be around... but then he figured out the secret of humanity and it was rough.

And it keeps happening. Really changes the context of his relationship with drat near everyone.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For all the advancement the machine lifeforms have been through, they seem to be very susceptible to a classic problem of multithreading.

Nimsant
May 7, 2015
Did 2B know about human extinction and Yorha mission? Because she had to know what he is supposed to not find out.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nimsant posted:

Did 2B know about human extinction and Yorha mission? Because she had to know what he is supposed to not find out.

Probably, if for no better reason than she was partnered with 9S, The Guy Who Will Not Shut Up About Everything.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

With this in mind, reread the weapon stories for the Cruel and Virtuous series of weapons, particularly Cruel Blood Oath and Virtuous Treaty.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
In celebration of this horrific revelation, here are some quotes from earlier in the thread!

Tempest_56 posted:

quote:

2B: It always ends like this...

Is... is no one going to note this? This line strikes me as pretty goddamn important. There's obviously something involved here we're not in the know about yet.

Zerilan posted:

2B wasn't exactly feeling fine about the whole thing last time 9S had a memory reset. The "tenderness" isn't even uncharacteristic either. 2B didn't react much to the other androids being shot down in the prologue, but lost her usual stoic composure immediately once 9S was injured.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

androids are normally immortal, of course they're going to be really afraid of death if they never usually have to handle its inevitability even if it's as small a deal as 20 minutes of memories

2b seems to be hinting that she's had other partners die on her and has trouble handling that, and didn't want to get attached to 9s feeling he'd die again on her.

Falconier111 posted:

To reiterate what's been said, this is not the first time this has happened to 9S. Speculation: 2B has been falling in and out of love/friendship/etc. with 9S for a while now. But each time their relationship intensifies, 9S bites it like a loser and his mind reverts to the pre-mission state stored in the Bunker, anterograde amnesia style. It's why she's been stoic and standoffish but protective when around him; Toobie keeps trying not to get attached, failing, and getting smacked in the face with every reset and he's incompetent enough that this happens a lot. She also might not be able to escape the cycle because Command's assigned them together and she doesn't have the authority to countermand it, but I've never played the game so. 2B is fully cognizant that 9S isn't actually dying, but the version she keeps getting attached to is. So, she's trapped, and deeply grateful when 9S fails at his job so hard he loops around and keeps himself alive.

Falconier111's post is my favorite, because it's soooo close to figuring it out. Probably could have gone all the way too, if someone had asked "Why does 9S always die and 2B always live?"

Also, props to Aumanor for correctly guessing the twist!

Aumanor posted:

Disregarding the terrible boss fight for a moment, I think A2's quick romp in the hackerspace might suggest that 2B was actually an E-type android. Was she dispatched to keep an eye on 9S?

Bonus:

Explosions posted:

My one bit of happiness from this update was that at least now we wouldn't have to suffer through a late game revelation that 2B has been in love with 9S all along, and now the spoiler dipshits are all smirk smirk we'll find out her motivations later smirk smirk and I want to put a brick through my screen.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
When I played through the game, the 2E revelation felt kind of weak and out-of-place to me. When I went back and looked at all the little bits of foreshadowing, and then - more importantly - thought about how it recontextualized a significant portion of the game, it went from 'whatever' to 'really good'.

K Prime posted:

With this in mind, reread the weapon stories for the Cruel and Virtuous series of weapons, particularly Cruel Blood Oath and Virtuous Treaty.

This is relevant.

Cruel Blood Oath posted:

Level 1
I'll never forget the time we met. I knew ours was a love that would last for eternity."

Level 2
But even when by his side, his feelings were a mystery. It was painful not to know what he was thinking. So painful."

Level 3
When I was close, I hurt him. Yet being distant hurt him more."

Level 4
I finally found my place in life. A place where I am as close as possible, yet eternally distant."

Virtuous Contract is a good one to read after learning about the truth of YorHA as well:

Virtuous Contract posted:

Level 1
How long can I fight amidst this bloody vortex of a battlefield? How long, I wonder?"

Level 2
How long can I continue to protect what I love amidst this endless war? How long, I wonder?"

Level 3
How long can I continue to believe in a world laden with deceit and folly? How long, I wonder?"

Level 4
How long can I lie to myself as I despair at the dark future of this world? How long, I wonder?"

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

The Ghost of Ember posted:

One thing that's interesting is that there's no surprise or even denial of 2E from 9S, he knew exactly what was going on the whole time, which means he was storing information or memories of his previous iterations somewhere outside YorHa. Just so happens there's one big network that 9S hacks into regularly and he has shown to be able to sync his memories and consciousness through before.

Which leads me to speculate that the reason the Machine Lifeforms are so good at dunking on 9S is because he just left his entire memory from past iterations laying around the machine network and just hoped that the machine lifeforms wouldn't look at \\machine-network\Users$\Nines\Documents\Totally Legitimate Documents\ in any detail.

I'm convinced he didn't know. He would not have been shocked to discover the Terrible Secret of Space if he just had backups of all the previous times he'd discovered the Terrible Secret of Space before 2B protected him from the Terrible Secret of Space. Nor is he likely to have though "Gosh, how am I going to break this to 2B?" if he could remember all the previous times she shoved him down the stairs. And as far as we know the first time his memories ended up in the machine network was when he woke up inside it while Adam had him in his Android Crucifixion Nook. And that's all they'd need to master trolling him, since Adam probably broadcast his memories on the machine network Jumbotron just to be a dick. On the other hand, that experience is presumably what paved the way for him to survive in the network after the Eve fight, which might have led to him remembering future iterations had that not almost immediately been followed by YoRHa exploding in a big fiery ball visible from earth.

I think 9S was trying very hard not to know anything, because after getting ganked however many times he almost certainly suspected something was fishy with all the gaping holes in his memory. And we've seen TONS of denial from 9S! His story has been nothing but one long arc of increasingly desperate denial, starting with his favorite mantra: "Nothing machines do has any meaning." Yet he's almost always the first aboard the S.S. Machine Sidequest, and then there's this:

I mean, don't tell anyone, but sometimes I suspect 9S is actually really interested in machines! But he's learned bad things happen if he goes sniffing around that door. It's probably dumb and boring anyway! Nothing doors do has any meaning! But then Adam got inside his head and started kicking holes in the wall and he had to turn up the volume on the denial.

And then he watched 2B die for (to him) absolutely no reason, and then in his brain he repeatedly stabbed a 2B that kept destroying his memories, and then he fought a bunch of 2Bs that tried to kill him, and the he got the brainworms from grafting a severed 2B arm onto his bleeding stump, so I'm not surprised the best he can muster to her killer telling him "2B was real sad about all those times she murdered you" is

quote:

Shut up... Shut up!
What do you know? You don’t know anything about us!

It's not articulate, but you can still float a barge down it.

Speaking of 2B, it's astonishing how much of her early dialogue takes on completely different significance once you know this, starting with her opening narration. Not even just in her interactions with 9S; I kept noticing new things all through Route A of the LP. Like, remember this?

The Dark Id posted:

Oh... *sniff* there’s this operator I kind of liked, but... when I asked her out, she turned me doooooooown! *cries*
*sniff* Honestly, 2B? I don’t know how I’m supposed to go on liiiiving. *sniff*
I am definitely not the person to discuss this with.

No, 6O, Jesus, she's really not.

Anyway, :words:

Nimsant
May 7, 2015
Did 2b also had to kill the operators who overheard the revelations before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
It's heavily implied that 9S figured out 2B's real purpose and just didn't bring it up. His whole thing is figuring out stuff like that.

Now, for another bit of fun, remember how 9S told us about his dumb nickname really early on, and how everyone calls him that? Who do you think originally came up with that dumb nickname?

• Locked thread