Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

look, we knew this might happen

*loads gold into boat*

but we need to see this thing through

*ushers family below deck*

the revolution depends on you!

*casts off and sets course for ibriz*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
MERCHANTS!!! :argh:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

You can take the Merchants out of Al-Andalus, but you can’t take the utter failure of their every cause out of the Merchants

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Soup du Jour posted:

You can take the Merchants out of Al-Andalus, but you can’t take the utter failure of their every cause out of the Merchants

You say that like every cause of the Taifas hasn't also ended in failure. The only people actually getting what they want are the Ulema, who never got to set policy in the first place.

It's actually kinda elegant, really. :allears:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Hashim posted:

We'll have the chance to become a great power before Vicky starts, yes.

I knew we'd be switching to Mahdiyyah! God IS great!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

paragon1 posted:

You say that like every cause of the Taifas hasn't also ended in failure. The only people actually getting what they want are the Ulema, who never got to set policy in the first place.

We successfully toppled the Jizrunids. :colbert:

Sure, it had side effects, but by Allah, we did it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man when I first started reading this LP in the CK2 days I had no idea it could fall so low.

There's still further to go, :regd08:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Erwin the German posted:

I knew we'd be switching to Mahdiyyah! God IS great!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

paragon1 posted:

Ulema coalitions were successful at getting on the board quite a few times, but yes, we remain untainted by the utter failures that reduced the rest of you to this tiny nation beneath glorious Madhiyya.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

ZearothK posted:

I take it that's only slightly slimmer chance than the one we have for starting it as a OPM.

Ibblebibble posted:

Man when I first started reading this LP in the CK2 days I had no idea it could fall so low.

Iberia in 1836:

Al Andalus is at it's peak, obviously.

Before anyone panics, this is obviously a joke. The Majlis is gonna be wiped out long before 1836.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
The Majlis did this

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

AJ_Impy posted:

Ulema coalitions were successful at getting on the board quite a few times, but yes, we remain untainted by the utter failures that reduced the rest of you to this tiny nation beneath glorious Madhiyya.

The death of the Dalai Ullama was not a tragedy, but was self-inflicted martyrdom. His death brought the true faithful to their rightful place of power.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Hashim posted:

Iberia in 1836:

Al Andalus is at it's peak, obviously.

Before anyone panics, this is obviously a joke. The Majlis is gonna be wiped out long before 1836.

We still own the Baleares. We're still up from CK2 and we've got some room to go downward.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

put the merchants in charge again and i'm suuuuuure that things will go different this time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

put the merchants in charge again and i'm suuuuuure that things will go different this time.

gonna be rad as gently caress when the folks in this thread learn what Lazzie faire economics do in vicky 2 the hard way

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Congress of Vienna equivalent will resurrect a unified Iberia under a Jizrunid as a buffer state between France and Morocco, and as a way of dealing with the pesky Catalan revolutionaries/Mahdi fundamentalists/Majlis fuckery.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

QuoProQuid posted:

We did real well when the Taifas and the Merchants were 1st and 2nd, and cooperated. Plus the Merchants were great after the big wars where we needed to keep things together.

Edit: vv Did it? Weren't they around for only a single session? I had high hopes for them when I joined, but I don't remember them actually getting a chance to do anything.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 20, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'll have you know that the Diwan was the only faction that was nothing but a positive influence on Al-Andalus.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

We successfully toppled the Jizrunids. :colbert:

Sure, it had side effects, but by Allah, we did it

Well if that's your standard then the Merchant's colonization initiatives were an almost unbelievably massive, unqualified success. :v:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Well if that's your standard then the Merchant's colonization initiatives were an almost unbelievably massive, unqualified success. :v:

To be fair, an Al-Andalus colony is no 1. in the new world and basically poised to become an unholy combination of the USA, Mexico and the USCA.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So if you could pinpoint one field battle where losing was backbreaking enough to start this downward spiral into international implosion which battle would it be?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

paragon1 posted:

it's all about setting the right goalposts

(:suicide:)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

gonna be rad as gently caress when the folks in this thread learn what Lazzie faire economics do in vicky 2 the hard way

"For gently caress's sake, stop reopening the same Fertilizer factory only for it to go broke two months later over and over again!"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Realtalk we needed either to stay merchants or stay Taifas because the projects we were interested in the actions were allowed to do were diametrically opposed from one another.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rodyle posted:

Realtalk we needed either to stay merchants or stay Taifas because the projects we were interested in the actions were allowed to do were diametrically opposed from one another.

Both paths led to ruin. The real trick is to vote for a party allowed to do both without limit, owing to being limited in another direction.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hashim posted:

We'll have the chance to become a great power before Vicky starts, yes.

So what you're saying is you're gonna kill the goon voting aspect of the LP?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cerebral Bore posted:

So what you're saying is you're gonna kill the goon voting aspect of the LP?

Nah, assuming the Majlis stays in power, then the thread will still have a role to play in vicky2 (although with a lot less power than in EU4). I'll explain exactly what's going to happen once I get the next update (the last EU4 update) out.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

So if you could pinpoint one field battle where losing was backbreaking enough to start this downward spiral into international implosion which battle would it be?

it wasn't any field battle, it was when Hashim kept clicking the "gain 15% autonomy" option in the time of troubles event to RP the continued focus on the war against France. So I blame the Taifas :colbert:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Zikan posted:

Option C

Nothing can go wrong with taking up an ideology literally all of our neighbors and all of the biggest foreign powers who can intervene against us hate!

lol

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

NewMars posted:

To be fair, an Al-Andalus colony is no 1. in the new world and basically poised to become an unholy combination of the USA, Mexico and the USCA.

That's Mazula basically

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
In the end I'd actually say it was all of us who hosed up! Most of this was really a cock-up cascade of things going to bits rather simultaneously.

The Merchants went full oligarchy and took out massive amounts of loans in order to just utterly tank everything. I'd call it spite, but some actually had plans of opening the doors for revolutionaries a long time ago.

The Ulema hosed us by selling off all of our Mosques in order to "sponsor the war-effort", which in no easy terms is also just code for "just out of spite"

Speaking of spite, our Taifa agenda against both the Merchants and the Ulema - not to mention our northern and southern enemies - caused us to go full Umayyad and cost what it will do our best to succeed where [link=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusuf_ibn_%27Abd_al-Rahman_al-Fihri]Yusuf ibn 'Abd al-Rahman al-Fihri[/link] failed, which just like him we also failed.

Our current allies Bavaria hosed us up by having the audacity to become a Revolutionary government before us, thus stealing our shot at becoming Napoleon and instead ushering in the second great sundering of Andalusia. People will talk about splitting up as "Iberianising" for years to come!

Even Paradox hosed us up by having the Times of Trouble event firing several times almost simultaneously, tanking our Autonomy something fierce.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We were hosed long before that by systematically aligning a number of great powers against us, two of which were done for almost no gain (okay we got some new world territory off the Celts but then they turned the oceans off and set that territory on fire like, 50 times).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
To be fair, the Celts hosed us first. I remember that because we had a notable faction pushing for breaking our alliance with them, and we only barely managed to keep it. Then they broke he alliance the very next update.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

catlord posted:

To be fair, the Celts hosed us first. I remember that because we had a notable faction pushing for breaking our alliance with them, and we only barely managed to keep it. Then they broke he alliance the very next update.

Yeah, but I'm referring to much later when we outright declared war on them. That took them from unreliable friend/ neutral to enemy when we already had France and Morocco to deal with. We consistently antagonized people we had absolutely no business making blood enemies with France on our doorstep.

At no point I can think of did the Majlis ever suggest rapprochement with another power, great or otherwise. We just kept piling up enemies and that pile eventually became a mountain that crushed us at the first sign of weakness.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 21, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

catlord posted:

This actually interested me, so I went back and checked the first couple updates, and it turns out that the Ulema were the first to start breaking alliances by using one of their first policies to break our alliance with the Celtic Empire. The Taifas overrode them, and preserved the alliance for a bit longer. Then we got into a war with France, and the Celts refused our call to arms, resulting in Al Andalus getting overrun and losing the war - nobody in the Majlis really wanted them as an ally after that, and they rivalled us a few decades later anyways.

Speaking of what could've been, Italy was another potential (and very powerful) ally, with a huge development base at the game's start. But the Majlis ruined any chances of that by insisting we ally with Palermo, who then dragged us into multiple wars against the Italians, and we ended up basically causing their downfall.

There's always a lot of argument about the Almoravids as well, so I looked into that a bit. As it turns out, I started EU4 by allying with them in the very first update, and we were actually strong allies for the first few years. We began expanding quickly in Iberia and accumulating a lot of aggressive expansion, so our alliance with them came to an end soon afterwards, but the Almoravids were still very eager to revive the pact within a couple years. The Majlis was getting a bit too big for its breeches by then though, and in this update someone put forth a proposal to begin countering Morocco, and so when Morocco sent us another request for an alliance in that same update, I was forced to refuse it. Furthermore, in accordance with the policy, I ended up insulting and rivalling them too. So I guess that's where the Andalusi-Moroccan rivalry stems from.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I think this is the guilty post right here. Here was the beginning of our isolation and downfall! :argh:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I think this is the guilty post right here. Here was the beginning of our isolation and downfall! :argh:

Wait, what? If we had attacked Morocco early on, then we would have killed their colonial ambitions in the crib. We waited too long.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Taifas! :argh:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Snipee posted:

Wait, what? If we had attacked Morocco early on, then we would have killed their colonial ambitions in the crib. We waited too long.

Lol no we wouldn't. It'd have killed OUR colonial ambitions by drawing all our resources into eternal hell war with Morocco. And then France would take all our poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

a common thing in all paradox lps with goon participation is vastly overestimating our military might and playing down the value of a good ally