Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As a total non-biologist, my guess is that if all your cells are having trouble finding the fuel to work, you won't be noticing your fingernails growing slower as your brain has suddenly stopped working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for the answer. That makes total sense. Another biology question, then, since it came up: why are neurons preferentially affected by an inability to make ATP?

Neurons are real energy hogs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember how whenever there was a power outage, CRTs would blink out a moment before the lights?

It’s like that.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for the answer. That makes total sense. Another biology question, then, since it came up: why are neurons preferentially affected by an inability to make ATP?

Your neurons have many many small pumps along their lengths which constantly push ions into and out of the cells, 'resetting' them after each and every firing. If the pumps can't get enough ATP in time your nerves can't all totally reset before they need to fire again, which may stop some signals. Having that happen to too many cells at roughly the same time can be bad.

treasured8elief has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Dec 18, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I just saw an ad on here for Sigma Aldrich. Like an ad on SA telling me to buy chemicals.

:negative:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The worst idea for the best placement.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Neurons are real energy hogs.

To elaborate: a normal adult brain weighs about 3 pounds. Around 0.5% 2% of total body weight. But it still takes at least 20% of the body's total energy consumption.

e: hell as a bio nerd I'll talk a little more. Adenosine triphosphate, ATP, is the molecule that the body (and pretty much every living thing) uses to ferry energy from one place to another. It's kind of like... it's kind of like a match: it's somewhat stable, but if you strike it/pop off one of the phosphates you get a big chunk of energy released, which can be used to set something else off. So you use a lot of it - your body burns and recycles over 50 kilos of ATP per day - too much to store for any period of time, so you just make it as you go. Anything that interrupts that process does a really, really good job of killing you.

World War Mammories has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Dec 19, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The brain is the most important organ in the body, according to the brain.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bhodi posted:

the brain lies, I wouldn't trust it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I would totally read a Blindsight-esque book about how the brain is just an endoparasite hogging the bodies resources, and isn't actually a requirement for life to function.

Obviously you can't prove that, because the brain won't let you

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You are a 3 to 5 LB oblong ball of fat and meat inside a skeleton, controlling a meat puppet

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

World War Mammories posted:

Anything that interrupts that process does a really, really good job of killing you.

Even more specifically, excess ammonia interrupts ATP production by throwing a wrench into the citric acid cycle in your cellular mitochondria. This is a general mechanism for all sorts of really toxic stuff. Cyanide, hydrogen sulfide, nitric oxide, all do this as well (in a different way, but the end result is that the cell stops making ATP). Like ammonia, your body has enzymes to deal with these things and they're part of normal body chemistry, but if something upsets that balance lights out can happen really quickly.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

I just saw an ad on here for Sigma Aldrich. Like an ad on SA telling me to buy chemicals.

:negative:

Now we just need to have it be the only add in TCC and watch the new threads appear.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the thing I've found that works best for cleaning electronics at work is an old bottle I pulled out of our "chemicals people have dropped off as e-waste over the years" shelf from Fisher Scientific labeled "100% 2-Propanol" and it'll strip gross degraded soft-touch coatings off of 90s cameras but hoo boy are the fumes potent

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

the thing I've found that works best for cleaning electronics at work is an old bottle I pulled out of our "chemicals people have dropped off as e-waste over the years" shelf from Fisher Scientific labeled "100% 2-Propanol" and it'll strip gross degraded soft-touch coatings off of 90s cameras but hoo boy are the fumes potent

"2-Propanol" is just another term for isopropyl alcohol. We use it as keyboard/whiteboard cleaner, don't think it really belongs in this thread.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DigitalRaven posted:

"2-Propanol" is just another term for isopropyl alcohol. We use it as keyboard/whiteboard cleaner, don't think it really belongs in this thread.

it's hard to find in 100% purity and comes in a nice serious-looking brown glass bottle with a scary chemical name on it

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

atomicthumbs posted:

it's hard to find in 100% purity and comes in a nice serious-looking brown glass bottle with a scary chemical name on it

That doesn't check out, there's no nitro-, methy[heavy metal], fluoro-, or chloro- in 2-propanol, rendering it as scary as peekaboo compared to some of the poo poo that's been mentioned in this thread.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, keep it away from open flames and in a well-ventilated room and it's a puppy dog.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My dad told me some hair raising anecdotes about thread favorite chlorine trifluoride being used to clean some chemical production equipment that demanded extremely low amounts of contaminant. The cell would glow red hot from the heat of the reaction, and was literally impossible to make any cleaner afterwards.

So for those tough to remove stains, you know what to do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

You can drink 100% propanol in small quantities and it'll get you incredibly hammered and give you a roaring hangover.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

If this thread teaches anything, it's that "100% purity" anything can have a very different personality than over-the-counter "mostly" grade. Hell, just a few weeks ago there was discussion about the unexpected properties of 100% pure water. And 100% pure not-water is usually "anhydrous", which is another important adjective. I wouldn't be surprised if 100% isopropanol is something you don't want in a medicine cabinet.

TBF "an old bottle I pulled out of our "chemicals people have dropped off as e-waste over the years" shelf from Fisher Scientific" is the prefix most likely to be followed by a cautionary anecdote.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Arglebargle III posted:

You can drink 100% propanol in small quantities and it'll get you incredibly hammered and give you a roaring hangover.

Strong avatar post combo here :jeb:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arglebargle III posted:

That's 1-propanol not 2-propanol, isn't it?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Midjack posted:

So for those tough to remove stains, you know what to do.

Now I'm imagining one of those Billy Mays infomercials promoting ClF3. AND IF YOU CALL NOW WE'LL THROW IN A TRAVEL SIZE BOTTLE FOR FREE!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

StandardVC10 posted:

Now I'm imagining one of those Billy Mays infomercials promoting ClF3. AND IF YOU CALL NOW WE'LL THROW IN A TRAVEL SIZE BOTTLE FOR FREE!

"Please allow three months for ground delivery, signature absolutely required."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ulmont posted:

Yep. 1-propanol is thought to be somewhere between 2-4 times as potent with regards to alcohol intoxication versus ethanol. 2-propanol is toxic at 0.2 g/kg.

I mean I'm sure you could probably get totally ripped off a tiny snort of pure 2-propanol but that seems like a "dear christ no" grade idea, especially what with the whole "metabolizes entirely into acetone" thing.

Kazinsal has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Dec 21, 2017

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I would totally read a Blindsight-esque book about how the brain is just an endoparasite hogging the bodies resources, and isn't actually a requirement for life to function.

Here you go! Also by Peter Watts, unsurprisingly. You could also probably just read any book on botany, sponges or jellyfish.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ulmont posted:

Probably? Acetone is bad for you.

Ld-50 is 5000 mg per kilogram, so for a healthy adult that's a pretty small beaker. Maybe I should be specific if I ever repeat that propanol fact in conversation.

Arglebargle III has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Dec 21, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's a symbiont, actually.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/947484573948153856
https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/947577022171222017
https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/947813317577527296

I love following this person on Twitter if only for the weird-rear end poo poo they get up to.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is he making is very corrosive and toxic compound that is a precursor weed killer (Roundup I believe) and insecticide? It's listed as controlled under CWC, Chemical Weapons Convention.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

oohhboy posted:

Why is he making is very corrosive and toxic compound that is a precursor weed killer (Roundup I believe) and insecticide? It's listed as controlled under CWC, Chemical Weapons Convention.

Wanting on the no fly list?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Wanting on the no fly list?

You'll get on a better list than that for making that type of hell-broth! :siren:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

oohhboy posted:

In this thread we prefer to ask, "why not?"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Icon Of Sin posted:

You'll get on a better list than that for making that type of hell-broth! :siren:

The opposite of flying list? Like the get buried list?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

oohhboy posted:

Hell if I know. IIRC they're also a fan of weird psychoactive chemicals but I don't quite remember.

e: Also I think they work on quantum computing in Hong Kong? Basically they lead like a maximally interesting life.

vOv has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Jan 2, 2018

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the most gallingly disparate terminology you can think of, in terms of the innocence of the description to the deadliness of the thing or phenomenon it describes? IE, poo poo that belongs in the bottom right corner of XKCD's Scary Names graph.

My money's on "physics package". I mean, yes, the core of a nuclear weapon is technically a package, that performs a certain variety of physics. It's just so horribly understated that I kinda want to grab the guy who thought it up and shake him by his lapels for a solid minute.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Cholinesterase inhibitor. Sounds like a pill you'd take, not human-grade bug spray.

You could advertise that during prime time on major networks and there'd be people asking *their* doctor about "Sarin" the next day. It's not like listing the side effects would really faze anyone. "Wow, five mentions of death! Abilify only has three! It must *really* work!"

BIG HEADLINE has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Jan 3, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phy posted:

What's the most gallingly disparate terminology you can think of, in terms of the innocence of the description to the deadliness of the thing or phenomenon it describes?

A. Degloved
B. Morselized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phanatic posted:

A. Degloved
B. Morselized

Hey, Degloving isn't necessarily deadly. Horrifying yes, deadly not with medical treatment.